Quantcast Villain's Event in the Studios - EPIC FAIL - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's a tiny update that'll give some perspective.

DW & her friend left VU early due to the chaos. By this point, Guest relations had a rather substantial line (easy assumption was that there were MANY folks complaining about the evening). DW & friend had had enough and needed to just get back to their room to decompress.

After reading online about the refunds being handed out with barely an explanation, they decided to go to GR at DHS this afternoon. At 3:30 PM today, they were refunded - directly to their CC's, the cost of the party.

Still unhappy with the way the event was handled, but at least it wasn't a total loss.
    Frank

DVC Owner
    BWV, BCV, SSR

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Another "its all about the bottom line Disney debacle."

It reminds me of having a dictatorial boss. Eventually, the good people (in this case long term guests) all leave and the high turnover results in falling productivity.

Post Thanks / Like

I was there last night. Yes, some of the character lines were long (but I had gone in expecting that, especially for the rare ones). I had a blast, and would definitely go again if the event was brought back
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't followed the lead-up to the event very closely, but I thought I remembered people posting just days ago that they were shocked the event hadn't sold out yet right? Did it ever show as sold out?

Whether that was a pure money grab or incompetence (or both) on Disney's part I don't know, but something like this should have been a very limited ticket event. That'd keep the buzz alive for the next time they wanted to do it. Then again, we all know that short term profits tend to trump long term quality and goodwill nowadays.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm feeling very glad I decided not to go but I am glad they gave refunds.

I went to the first Christmastown at Busch Gardens two years ago. The tickets were considerably cheaper- $20 or $25 a person. It took us almost 2 hours to get into the park due to massive traffic jams going into the parking lot and all we got was a sorry.

Disney (and other theme parks) really need a plan for handling crowds when they do these events.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Harrisonburg, VA--too far from the magic!
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=AgentC;2430295]
    I went to the first Christmastown at Busch Gardens two years ago. The tickets were considerably cheaper- $20 or $25 a person. It took us almost 2 hours to get into the park due to massive traffic jams going into the parking lot and all we got was a sorry.
    QUOTE]

I was at that one! I thought it was a mess too, but at least cheaper. However, we'd just come from the MVMCP and I thought it was a poor imitation of that...I thought maybe my view was just skewed from coming from Disney! From the reports, I'm glad I didn't try to arrange my schedule to get to the VU.
    ºoº Tiffany ºoº

Many trips offsite growing up
    2/08 CBR
    10/09 Pop/POFQ
    12/09-1/10 POR/CR
    10/10 POLY
    12/11 POFQ

Next Up:
    POFQ 10/14 - 11/14

St Pete Beach FL- Too close and too far away
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PopPhan View Post
    Would love a M&G with Chernabog!!!! He could take me 'under his wing'!!
    *le sigh *
    I would stand in line a loooong time nestle in under Chernabogs wing!
    Has there ever been a M&G with Chernabog? I keep trying to figure out in my head how they would do that costume !

But I don't want to go among mad people!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cheshire_Girl View Post
    *le sigh *
    I would stand in line a loooong time nestle in under Chernabogs wing!
    Has there ever been a M&G with Chernabog? I keep trying to figure out in my head how they would do that costume !
    I think it would be really tough to pull that character off. I would have loved to just be able to stand in front of him on the float they used for Spectromagic and had someone take pics!!
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dnickels View Post
    I haven't followed the lead-up to the event very closely, but I thought I remembered people posting just days ago that they were shocked the event hadn't sold out yet right? Did it ever show as sold out?

Whether that was a pure money grab or incompetence (or both) on Disney's part I don't know, but something like this should have been a very limited ticket event. That'd keep the buzz alive for the next time they wanted to do it. Then again, we all know that short term profits tend to trump long term quality and goodwill nowadays.
    They took down the part of the signs advertising tickets still available for the Villian party the day of the party. The other days before the party it said tickets still available. I saw 3 or 4 signs spread throughout the park during the week.
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

It's terrible to hear that they didn't improve anything from the previous Villains event. I'm glad they were handing out refunds.

On the crowd: The do tend to oversell these events and it's probably has a lot to do with Fantasmic! That theater has room for 7,000 - 10,000 people and if Disney is going to put on the show they want that theater as full as possible.

On lines: There is no excuse for lines when it comes to merchandise and food, that is just poor planning. For the Villians, I can understand. I wonder how many costumes they have for these characters in storage. Especially since most of them have specialty head pieces.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder what the tipping point will be for Disney regarding this/these sorts of events wherein they reevaluate the "bottom line" approach they've been taking in many instances over the customer service reputation.

Will the crossroads of refunds and a customer service reputation that is beginning to seriously waffle on social media and online reviews inspire a change due to the potential for short-term (refunds) and long-term losses (the loss of repeat business due to said reputation)?

Hopefully, the next time they host this event, they will make improvements via several methods - if for nothing more than seeing the forest through the trees!
    '85-Disney Village Hilton; '87-Poly; '88-Day Trip-Disneyland; '89-GF; '94-GF; '97-ASMu; '98-Dixielandings; '02-CBR; '03-Offsite; '03-ASMo; '04-WL; '04-Offsite; '05-POFQ; '06-POFQ; '08-POP; '09-POP; '11-POP; '13-Day Trip-HS; Up next: Oct. '14-Day Trip-MK

Post Thanks / Like

There is no way Disney took a financial loss on that night. Did they lose potential revenue? Sure, they refunded tickets, but overall, at the end of the night Disney stil made money on the evening.

I agree with an above poster who said this should be a giant signal to Disney that there is a major demand for Villians by the public and there is money to be made here. It should probably be looked at as a minor short term failure, but could potentially turn into a major long term success if they plan accordingly.

Post Thanks / Like

I didnt think the lines and crowds were any worst than a MVMCP or Halloween party. And I am shocked Disney would give a refund. We went to a few hard ticket parties where it poured a lot of the evening and no refunds were given that I know of. A lot of people left early on those nights too.

My main complaints were not enough activities to make it worth the $$$ and only one spot to get the tshirts. I really liked the design but not enough to stand in line 2 hours.
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't there but watched the video of the opening ceremony "show." It looked incredibly un-Disney. Mostly a colored strobe light and guitar show with lame introductions of the characters. Not much energy, too talky, and ... dancers twerking with Cinderella's stepsisters??? Ugh. Zero magic there.

If this is an indication of the future of Disney's hard-ticket events, no thank you very much.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    I wasn't there but watched the video of the opening ceremony "show." It looked incredibly un-Disney. Mostly a colored strobe light and guitar show with lame introductions of the characters. Not much energy, too talky, and ... dancers twerking with Cinderella's stepsisters??? Ugh. Zero magic there.

If this is an indication of the future of Disney's hard-ticket events, no thank you very much.
    Twerking? Ugh. I'll have to check it out on YouTube just to see it with my own eyes. I expect something more creative out of Disney. Sure, it would be cool for Disney to be kinda edgy with this - afterall, it is villains. But twerking? No longer edgy. So 12 months ago and so awkward - I know they "discovered" Miley Cyrus, but eek.
    '85-Disney Village Hilton; '87-Poly; '88-Day Trip-Disneyland; '89-GF; '94-GF; '97-ASMu; '98-Dixielandings; '02-CBR; '03-Offsite; '03-ASMo; '04-WL; '04-Offsite; '05-POFQ; '06-POFQ; '08-POP; '09-POP; '11-POP; '13-Day Trip-HS; Up next: Oct. '14-Day Trip-MK

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post

I have also read reports that the Oogie Boogie show was NOT family friendly.

"LEAVE IT."

EDIT: In fairness, I just read that this show had posted that it might not be suitable for children.

Still I say..." LEAVE IT."
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katzateer View Post
    And I am shocked Disney would give a refund. We went to a few hard ticket parties where it poured a lot of the evening and no refunds were given that I know of. A lot of people left early on those nights too.
    I know for a fact that Disney has given refunds to some due to weather conditions at Hard Ticket Events. Basically, you have to jump through hoops in order to get refunded, but it does happen. And it has happened due to weather.
    Frank

DVC Owner
    BWV, BCV, SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maleficent's Dad View Post
    I know for a fact that Disney has given refunds to some due to weather conditions at Hard Ticket Events. Basically, you have to jump through hoops in order to get refunded, but it does happen. And it has happened due to weather.
    Yes, I know someone who put up a huge stink after a total washout on MVMCP and did get a refund. However, they do give a rain or shine disclaimer on those tickets, so a lot of people probably don't even try, or don't try very hard. Weather is also outside of Disney's control. Ridiculously long lines/oversold tickets are not.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mfarquar View Post
    Twerking? Ugh. I'll have to check it out on YouTube just to see it with my own eyes. I expect something more creative out of Disney. Sure, it would be cool for Disney to be kinda edgy with this - afterall, it is villains. But twerking? No longer edgy. So 12 months ago and so awkward - I know they "discovered" Miley Cyrus, but eek.
    Awkward is right. It looked like a Six Flags show. Just cringe-worthy. I don't know -- maybe in person it looked better, but it didn't sound like the crowd was that into it either.

As for edgy, eh. They have so much great material. They could go for mysterious, menacing, etc. Looked like a totally missed opportunity.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

I just finished watching Hades' opening show and Oogie Boogie's freaky funhouse, and I really don't see what was so bad about them? I mean the Hades opener was a bit long, but served its purpose, I rather enjoyed Oogie Boogie's show.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: