Quantcast Pop Century -- Will I be disappointed?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pop Century -- Will I be disappointed?

We are heading back to DW in October and we are staying at Pop Century for the first time. The last several visits we have stayed at the Wilderness Lodge and I love it there. My hubby talked me into saving money this trip and staying at Pop Century......will I be disappointed after staying at WL? I will be at Disneyworld so obviously is won't be too disappointed
    June 1978 - Camping
    July 2004 - POR
    April 2005 - POR
    October 2006 - POR
    December 2008 - WL
    October/November 2009 - WL
    December 2010 - WL
    October/November 2014 - POP
    December 2015 - POR

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

The Beds at the POP are extremely hard..Unless you prefer that ..Too hard for my taste.

Post Thanks / Like

We love POP. We do not stay in the rooms a lot - just a place to rest our heads. Don't expect more from your room than what you would get at a Holiday Inn Express or Comfort Inn. You get what you pay for. I am not crazy about the pillows, the beds are fine for me, the towels aren't high quality. The value resorts have different toiletries than the more expensive resorts. The food court and the buses are great and the theme of the resort is fun.
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer Pop to Wilderness Lodge (by far). It is bright and fun, and I am sure you will have a great time there!!
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on what you are looking far. We've spent a night or two at the Pop here and there and it was fine. What I did not like was the size of the beds.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Beds are full size not queen. I have no issues with the beds and quite enjoy the Pop. Walk across the bridge and check out Art of Animation. Food court there is excellent!
    Pirate Granny

October 2020 — 3 nights OKW, 3 nights Poly Lakeview and 1 night BWV studios
    November 2020 — BRV studio 9 nights
    December 2020 entire family GV OKW
    December 2020 January 2021 BCV studio

OH YEAH BABY !!! Proud owners at OKW + BCV + BRV + RR

Post Thanks / Like

We have also stayed many times at WL lodge, and really enjoy it. On several occasions, in order to save money, we have stayed at POP. I really like both and both have + and -. I love the food court at POP, more variety. The bus service was fine. I liked the scenery and open spaces at POP. Which leads into my -. The last time we were at POP, there were two days of torrential downpours. If you didn't want to leave the room, there was nothing to do without getting drenched. At WL, once in the room, you had all sorts of things to do within the resort. Still, would stay at POP again - hopefully soon
    Live Life Joyfully!
    [FONT="Arial Narrow"][SIZE="2"]'73 - DL;
    '78, '89 - DW -off property;
    '94, 00, '07 - Dixie Landing; '96 - CBR; '98 - CSR;
    '99 - Disney Cruise;
    '01 - WL Christmas Celebration; '03, '06, '12, '13
    '10 POFQ; '11 POP (2x)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a deluxe fan. The one time my family stayed at POR, it was not disappointing really, great resort, but it wasn't the same for us and we were eager for the next trip back at the GF or Poly (our favorites). But then I did a solo trip at POP and I was actually quite pleasantly surprised. Maybe it all depends on your mood, expectations, attitude?

POP is bright and fun and you can walk over and check out Art of Animation if you're up for a short stroll. The bus transportation was handled very efficiently and I had no problems with it. I enjoyed walking around the grounds, getting a look at the different themes in different areas, a drink at the bar near the Hippy Dippy Pool with friends before turning in. I don't think it will be the same as your WL stays, but I don't think you will be disappointed, either. Think of it as a new adventure.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I've never stayed there, and do prefer the deluxe resorts myself, but I think alot will have to do with your expectations going into it, and also maybe just view it as more of a "fun" place. WL is great, and so relaxing and grand. But saving $$ is awesome, and it will still be tons of fun. I would definitely be prepared for a totally different atmosphere, but a fun one! We visited AoA resort and ate at the food court and really liked it. It was so colorful and fun! Pop seems to me the same kind of atmosphere. I hope you enjoy your trip!
    1980-2001 CR;CBR 2001 AKL 2002 AKL 2003 AKL 2004 AKL; CB; AKL 2007 WL 2008 AKL 9/09 AKL Jambo 12/10 AKL Kidani 9/11 AKL Kidani 9/12 AKL 12/12 AKL 5/13 AKL 12/13 SS 9/14 BLT 12/14 SS 2/15 Aulani DVC 7/15 CBR 10/15 Yacht Club 12/16 DS 7/17 Aulani 01/19 POR 08/19 Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

The Pop is great.
    The rooms aren't big, but they are adequate. The busing at this resort is excellent.

I make it work. We are a family of 4. I make use of all available space, and pack extra hangers in everyone's suitcase to hang shirts and stuff. We don't spend a lot of time in the room.

It's theming is fun, and it is always clean.

Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

I am someone who attempts to be cost conscious on trips to WDW. I have never, personally, found the ROI to justify a deluxe.

Strangely, on other vacations, i usually spring for and stay at what would be considered deluxe accommodations.

At WDW the last place i want to be is my room. I will occasionally upgrade to a moderate but only if the price is right. And that is because most of my recent trips are adult only and i will use the bar and hot tub. Call me cheap (you won’t be the first) but i would rather have that 200-300 dollar per night difference in my pocket for premium dining.

I think POP is a very nice hotel with excellent service and adequate amenities. Busses are packed and the pool-side bar is the only game in town and closes too early. Food is marginal compared to TS locations in the deluxes.

None of that matters one whit to me when I am sitting in Cali Grill with 200$ in my pocket, a punta mes negroni in hand with a bottle of Turley old vines on the way. Sushi app with a rare filet to back it up. Guess what? I will sleep like a baby at POP when I'm done.... Just sayin’

'76 offsite, '90 offsite, '03 Courtyard DTD, '04 offsite, '05 CBR, '05 POFQ solo, '06 Sports solo, '06 POFQ, '07 Pop, '09 offsite solo, '09 POFQ, '09 Music, '10 CS, '11 Pop, '12 Pop, '13 dolphin.

Post Thanks / Like

Bay Lake/Contemporary is my stay of choice. If I want to save money I go to Pop. The major difference to me is that it staying at Pop means it's more difficulty to go back to the room to take a break and if one does go back the bed is really the only place to relax comfortably.

The bottom line for me is that if it's a choice between going to WDW and staying at Pop vs, not going, I'll stay at Pop.

Post Thanks / Like

We love Pop. That said, We also love the WL. But don't expect Pop to be like WL, it's a value after all. There's not as much "luxury" but for how much less you pay, it's still a great place to stay, and our kids especially had a lot of fun being at Pop.
    If you plan to hang around the resort all day, you'll find more to enjoy at WL, but you'll pay for the extra experience. On the other hand, if you are a park commando, or just a WDW guest on a budget, then Pop is a great place for immersing yourself in the magic.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone for your responses -- they helped a lot. I know I will be thrilled to be back at DW no matter where we stay.
    June 1978 - Camping
    July 2004 - POR
    April 2005 - POR
    October 2006 - POR
    December 2008 - WL
    December 2010 - WL
    December 2015 - POR

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, I've never been disappointed with any Disney hotel they all have their own magical atmosphere . However , pop is my least favorite so far. I'm sure you will have a blast anyway

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to take all the info and put it to good use and enjoy Pop! In the three years since our last visit, I've had three surgeries -- two for cancer. The last one, we found kidney cancer on a scan while looking for something else. My doctor said I was blessed because normally I wouldn't have known about it until it was too late and would have died last year. So, even though I went through a very painful surgery to remove my kidney and a difficult recovery, I am alive and going back to my favorite place. No matter where I stay ......I'll be at DW!
    June 1978 - Camping
    July 2004 - POR
    April 2005 - POR
    October 2006 - POR
    December 2008 - WL
    December 2010 - WL
    December 2015 - POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nut4DW View Post
    I'm going to take all the info and put it to good use and enjoy Pop! In the three years since our last visit, I've had three surgeries -- two for cancer. The last one, we found kidney cancer on a scan while looking for something else. My doctor said I was blessed because normally I wouldn't have known about it until it was too late and would have died last year. So, even though I went through a very painful surgery to remove my kidney and a difficult recovery, I am alive and going back to my favorite place. No matter where I stay ......I'll be at DW!

That's a great outlook, and one that more of us should remember. When we are at Disney World, we should count our blessings. After all, it's supposed to be the Happiest/Most Magical place on earth!
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nut4DW View Post
    Wonderful outlook, have fun

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

We’ve stayed at all of the Values and POP is our favorite. I hope you have a great time.
    Jack Sparrow: Hide the rum

91-98 Off property
    ASMusic-99
    POFQ-01 Wildfires
    ASMovies-02,03
    Pop-04 Hurricane Jeanne
    Pop-05 Tropical Storm Arlene
    Pop-09,10,11
    Sports-12
    Pop-15

Post Thanks / Like

Its not WL.. I love WL but there are some things not as good about that also...
    Pop is my fav value...but some things aren't as great also
    u will save a lot of money that u can use on other things, u can walk to AOA and eat at their food court, which has some good choices.
    if u don't spend much time at the resorts, its a good choice. and its more centrally located
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM