Quantcast Our Magical Birthday Tradition - Final Thoughts

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Our Magical Birthday Tradition - Final Thoughts

*We've taken each of our kids to the World for their first birthday. This trip was for our DS' first, but we celebrated 4 birthdays during the week; June 1-8.*

Cast of Characters
    Me, Susan, 33, 9th trip
    DH, David, turning 29, 7th trip
    ODD, Sammie, 5, 5th trip
    YDD, Lily, turning 3, 3rd trip
    DS, Joey, turning 1, 2nd trip
    My Mom, Connie, turning 63, 3rd trip
    My Dad, Sam, 66, 3rd trip

Final Thoughts:

Since our second anniversary, 8 years ago, DH and I have been to the World 6 times. However, 6 months is the shortest amount of time between trips that we've ever done. I knew that when we left WDW in December that we'd be back in 6 months, making that trip seem have a much easier ending. And I knew when planning this trip, that although we'd only have 2 park days, we'd just been there, and not much was different, so it'd be okay. I still would've loved to spend more time in WDW, but who wouldn't? It was a nice 2 plus days there.
    Speaking of what was different, I knew that we HAD to do 3 things, the 3 new things; Frozen princesses, 7DMT, and the Festival of Fantasy parade. Those were absolute deal breakers, and I'm very glad we got to do all three. None of them disappointed.
    I also knew that going with my parents was really going to slow us down, but I wanted to share this with them, and I wanted my kids to share "their" Disney with my parents. It was incredibly nice to be able to split off and do things with just DH, even if it was a quick 30 minutes here, or a rushed hour there. I'm a work-from-home mom, and "babysitter" isn't in our kids' vocabulary (except on rare occasion). We've made child swap and single rider work, but it was so nice to be able to have some couple time. Plus, my parents had fun watching the kids have fun. Dad said, "I don't ride rides. Y'all do what you want, and I'll watch. I'm just here to enjoy being with y'all."
    That being said, by the end of the trip, it was evident that we'd pushed them too hard, and that they weren't young enough or healthy enough to take on a trip like this again. I do hope that they can return with us at some time, but I hope that at that time, we'll be able to do a long enough trip that we can sleep late and return for naps, without feeling like we're burning $600.
    I really don't understand why we couldn't use the FPs on my parent's MBs. They were wasted FPs. We ended up using child swap to ride a few rides more than once, but I don't see the problem with us using their FPs, if they can't ride the thrill rides.
    We had amazing weather on this trip, proving how unpredictable Florida weather is. Two years ago, we'd spent this very week at WDW, and it rained every day, most of the day long. This trip, it only rained on us Friday night, while were tucked away and dry in our tents.
    I'd wanted to tent camp at Disney for quite a few years, planning multiple trips that way in the beginning, and then giving in to the desire of air conditioning before actually making reservations. We will most definitely be back to Fort Wilderness. We stayed in site 2058, and were a quick walk from the comfort station, which had the bus stop right behind it. We couldn't have had a better spot. Both tents fit easily, and there would've been room to cook had we chosen to do so (which we would have, if we'd stayed longer). The pool was amazing; much nicer than the value resorts, where the price is higher. And other than the walk to the potty/shower, and having to bring towels, I didn't mind not having a bathroom connected to us. It wasn't hot at nighttime; DH and I even fought over the blanket. And the transportation is amazing. We never really waited long for a bus (not compared to other trips), and not once did we get on a bus where every seat was full. We're used to being packed in like sardines, and made to stand. Not here. Plus, the laid back, everyone is friends, atmosphere is exactly what we're used to from other campgrounds. At first, we were leary of what we left in the tent, but not once was anything disturbed. People helped others out, weren't in a hurry to jump line for anything, and were just happy to be there. Maybe when DH gets more vacation time, we can come and stay for a couple of weeks, because there are TONS of things to do at FW that we didn't get to do, and I'd love to stay for 2 weeks, get 6-7 day park passes, and just enjoy the campgrounds the other days.
    As for the next time we'll be back, I've promised DH that we'll go somewhere else for our 10 year anniversary next summer, and that we'll go to the Smoky Mts this fall. I've kinda let Disney be our go-to place lately, and while we all love it, he wants to broaden our horizons. We're also thinking about one more kid next year, and if that's the case, that would most likely rule out a fall trip to WDW, as well. So it may very well be a couple of years before we go back. I hope not, because our DDs literally beg daily for our next trip, but with DH only getting 2 weeks of vacation, it just isn't really feasible. Plus, YDD turned 3 on Sunday, so now she will cost us (for nothing more than last week, cause she's so short, she won't hit any height requirements till she's 6, probably!). So we'll see. I keep hoping we can somehow do something next year, but I doubt it. DH wants to go back to October, and that means a little over 2 years. I think I'll go start planning now...
    Susan °o°

You cheated.
    Pirate.

8/98 CBR; 10/00 ASM; 11/01 POR; 7/07 POR; 10/09 ASM; 10/10 Pop; 6/12 ASM; 12/13 ASM; 6/14 FWC; 7/15 FWC; 12/16 2 weeks at FWC!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice reports!

Post Thanks / Like

Enjoyed reading your reports, thanks for sharing.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing ... and no, it is never too early to start planning for the next trip.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Loved reading your reports. Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

You had a great busy vacation!!!

Glad your parents were able to share it with you!

Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

As challenging as it can be to travel with extended family, the good memories created will last all of you a lifetime!!

Happy planning even if your next trip is a bit distant from this moment!!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for a wonderful and detailed trip report! You are very lucky to have both your parents to share this vacation together with your DH and kids. These memories will last a lifetime!
    Have a magical day!

Julie
    º0º emerzmom º0º
    Disney Vacations:
    DL: 81,00,01,02,04,05,06,08
    WDW: 98,99,00,01,02,03(x2),04(x2),05,,07,09,11,12,13(x2 ),14,15,16
    Next trip Nov 2017

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for sharing all of the details of your trip with us! What a magical thing to share with your parents - their grandchildren's joy!

I know what it is like to have to quell your trips for awhile as other things come up, but you'll be back. Thanks again!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report.
    Vince
    aka. Vizsla

INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous and Disney Vacation Club

DVC Member 10/11/04

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: