Quantcast Live From Cabana Bay

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Live From Cabana Bay

Sitting by the pool on a gorgeous morning so I thought I would give a quick review of Cabana Bay, so far. First all here's my view, looking toward the Starlight building where we're staying:

Cabana Bay Courtyard pool

All the CB personnel we've encountered have been exceptionally friendly and helpful. They all seem proud of the new resort. And they should be--the theming is bright, colorful and fun and maintained right down to the era-appropriate music. Aside from the front entrance to the resort, where there is still a lot of visible construction going on, you would never know that this resort is still not quite finished. Our room (a courtyard suite is small, suite-wise, but well supplied, with two chairs, two small tables, a full-sized pull-out sofa with a temperpedic mattress, a bedroom area with two full beds, tv's in both living and bedroom, separate shower and toilet rooms and two sinks. The small kitchenette has a surprisingly large half-fridge, microwave and counter with two pull-up stools.

So far we've dined in the food court, the Bayliner (somewhat pricy but tasty) and used the fitness center, which has lots of state of the art equipment and is filled with Jack Lalane memorabilia. The courtyard pool area is huge, but to my surprise only has one small hot tub. The tower pool area will have another hot tub and lazy river when it opens in June.

The shuttle service to City Walk runs frequently and is a very short trip (you can also walk, but is a longer hike than the other UO hotels).

There are a few negatives so far. Housekeeping did not impress us yesterday; they left the us emptied garbage cans sitting inside the door like they meant to empty them but forgot. And they did not replace the towels we used, so we had to call to get both situations rectified. And the bottom sheets on the beds are too small and do not fully tuck in, which is strange to me--it's like they bought these comfortable pillow top mattresses but then didn't measure them for the sheets?

All in all, we are really loving our stay here and I would certainly recommend it as a family and wallet-friendly resort to stay at, as long as you don't need the unlimited Express Option offered at the other UO resorts.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update Beth, hope you are enjoying yourself!
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

I have no idea why that photo is posted upside-down. Lol! Sorry!
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--

Post Thanks / Like

Great update, Beth! Thanks for the photo! I hope you have a great time.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

It was a great time! Hot and humid, with lots of school groups Thursday and Friday, but still a good time. Loved the Mardi Gras parade on Saturday and enjoyed getting a glimpse of the new Harry Potter stuff (especially from the top of Rip Ride Rockit). Park workers were all helpful and friendly and the restaurants we frequented (Bubba Gump's, Mythos, Bob Marley's and Finnegan's) were all quite good.

Just wanted to add an amendment to my previous review of Cabana Bay. Their housekeeping department seriously has to work the bugs out of their process, it was very shoddy. They didn't show up at all one day and the next day all they did was replace our towels. And during the four nights that we were there I thought they might change the sheets once but they did not. I shared my frustrations with their "Star Service" representative; who knows if it will make any difference.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--

Post Thanks / Like

That's a real pain about housekeeping. I just saw the newly released information on the Gringott's ride and Diagon Alley, and am already bugging my DH about when we can book a stay at Cabana Bay to check out the Harry Potter expansion!
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    That's a real pain about housekeeping. I just saw the newly released information on the Gringott's ride and Diagon Alley, and am already bugging my DH about when we can book a stay at Cabana Bay to check out the Harry Potter expansion!
    You will love it, Maryanne! It may be considered a budget resort but the theming is all out vintage 50's and 60's. And my son and I really enjoyed the bowling alley, what a cool thing to have at a resort! The only drawback is that you don't get the unlimited Express Pass with that resort, but you do get the early entry. If you are planning to go after the new Harry Potter stuff opens it may be worth purchasing the Express Pass, if only for one day, as I am sure it will be crazy busy. I bought Power Passes for us just in case we can make it back within a year, but I suspect we would stay a night or two at one of the other hotels again just so we could get the Express Pass. Very glad we stayed at Cabana Beach this time though.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--

Post Thanks / Like

thanks
    wonder how it compares to POP at WDW. almost considering staying at Universal for the first time, but the cheapest including Express pass is royal pacific. Ill have to see how Cabana is once everything is worked out
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so glad that they finally have a cheaper hotel at UO. We've always stayed at WDW except for a night once at the UO main gate holiday inn. Couldn't afford the prices at the. Loews hotels on site! But this hotel looks really cool! Disney is going to have to up their game
    Haunted Mansion Girl
    1990 & 1992 Off Site
    2002 & 2003 Fort Wilderness
    2004 Disney Wonder & Fort Wilderness
    2005, 2008, 2011 & 2013 Riverside
    2006 & 2008 Pop
    2009 Disneyland
    2011, 2013 & 2014 Coronado Springs
    2012 CB Pirate Room
    2015 POR
    2016 June & Oct Off Site
    2017 Sept Coronado!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    thanks
    wonder how it compares to POP at WDW. almost considering staying at Universal for the first time, but the cheapest including Express pass is royal pacific. Ill have to see how Cabana is once everything is worked out
    If I had to compare it to the WDW resorts I would say it is actually more on level with a moderate like Coronado Springs. The amenities (huge food court, bowling alley, nice fitness center and two large pool complexes with slides and hot tubs and a lazy river) are definitely a big step above a value resort, even Pop. What they should do is offer the Express Pass at a special rate to the Cabana Bay guests. I can understand not offering it for free when the room are inexpensive compared to the other Loew's hotels onsite. But there's no reason why guests should have to pay the same price (which is rather outrageous, IMO) as off-site guests.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--

Post Thanks / Like

love Coronado. I was wondering if Cabana looked tacky at all. it is a little less than Royal Pacific but wo the expresspass idk. I might just do nearby for a night then Royal Pacific a night
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    love Coronado. I was wondering if Cabana looked tacky at all. it is a little less than Royal Pacific but wo the expresspass idk. I might just do nearby for a night then Royal Pacific a night
    Oh no, I did not think Cabana Bay was tacky at all. The public areas actually look quite expansive and almost elegant. I'm kind of picky about hotels and was very favorably impressed by CB.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--

Post Thanks / Like

Here are a few more pictures of the resort:

Lobby Panorama
    Skylight
    Bayliner Diner
    Front of Hotel
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I posted the wrong panoramic photo! Here is the one I meant to post:

Lobby
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--

Post Thanks / Like

It will still be well over a year before we can swing it I must say, I think if you are smart about planning your day, the Express Pass is not really necessary. When DH and I had our honeymoon in mid June 2010, it ended up coinciding with the opening of Wizarding World. Other than Forbidden Journey (which I don't think even offers EP?) most of the rides were manageable. I know attendance has only increased since then, but I don't mind waiting 30 minutes for something. Having the EP wouldn't make or break my decision, unless I was planning to go at a ridiculously crowded time.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

nice pics. I just checked annual pass rates, and Royal Pacific rate that way is about the same as CB...so I might go that way....still debating
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19

Post Thanks / Like

I stayed at the Cabana Bay Resort last Thursday-Saturday. It was nice to read the reviews prior to going, and I must add my own comments to the forum: The theme is wonderful, and carries throughout the resort. My room was clean, and towels were replenished daily without incident. The only problem we had was that the air conditioning was not working in our room, as well as in others a few doors down, and maintenance came promptly. The unit never cooled adequately, so we contacted the front desk the next morning, and they were prompt to come back, and the a/c was then properly functioning. We were offered a new room for relocation as well, which was declined as I was a chaperone for one of those "band groups" throughout the parks last Friday & Saturday? (Had to keep close by!)
    The food from the food court was fine: the pool was very nice, and they showed a poolside movie as well. The bowling alley looked great, and the "rec room" with old board games and bean bags looked cool, but no one was using it. I did not see the lazy river! Did I miss it?
    With regard to the Express Pass, it was not an issue, since we used early entry to go directly to the Forbidden Journey- may be an issue in peak season & when the expansion opens, however. I have stayed at Hard Rock and Royal Pacific, and must say that I did really enjoy this resort. Shuttle service was efficient; a little slow if you leave at park closure, but that is to be expected. I would recommend this resort.
    ]1990-CBR:Honeymoon
    1995 Dixie Landings Ann.
    1998 AS Music
    1999 AS Movies
    2003 Dixie Landings/Polynesian
    2005 POR
    2006 Swan
    2008 POR
    2010 Beach Club 20yr
    2011 Hilton Bon Cr Marriott World Ctr Boardwalk
    2013 Disneyland Hotel
    2016 AS Music