Quantcast Spaceship Earth! - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to clarify, yes, the Judy Dench narration does include "This, our Spaceship Earth."
    I still love the ride, and we make it a point to go on it multiple times, but I preferred the previous iterations.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I love SSE! And surprisingly, so does my roller coaster loving husband. So we ride it at least 10 times every trip. And it never gets old. I loved the old and I love the new... And we really enjoy the computer screens. We always make a goofy face for the camera and laugh at ourselves both in the computer and afterwords in the exit arcade on the big globe! And we always have to play the 3D skeleton game.
    Haunted Mansion Girl
    1990 & 1992 Off Site
    2002 & 2003 Fort Wilderness
    2004 Disney Wonder & Fort Wilderness
    2005, 2008, 2011 & 2013 Riverside
    2006 & 2008 Pop
    2009 Disneyland
    2011, 2013 & 2014 Coronado Springs
    2012 CB Pirate Room
    2015 POR
    2016 June & Oct Off Site
    2017 Sept Coronado!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Main Street Jim View Post
    I'm not sure which version you were listening to, but, as far as I can recall, the current Dench version doesn't have this quote. The Jeremy Irons version *did* - and the music peaked for your journey back down to the Global Neighborhood.
    I've got it on home video with her saying exactly that line. Look for "Spaceship Earth - Dame Judi Dench" by WDWFacts on youtube. Click to about 18:50 and you'll hear it.
    Last edited by VWL Mom; 04-22-2014 at 06:05 AM. Reason: link removed per TOS
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

I love SE, too, and it's my youngest son's all-time favorite WDW ride (he's 26 now, but it's been his favorite for years).

I sometimes count the number of time Ms. Dench says "futah" (14, I think).

I miss "Behold, the majesty of the Sistine Chapel" (or something similar). Now, you pass under it without narration (but still hear "The Hallelujah Chorus").
    2014: BC; 2013: CS; 2012: POR, Dolphin; 2011: Hilton, Dolphin; 2010: POFQ, CSR; 2009: POFQ; 2008: HoJo DL, Royal Plaza; 2007: Saratoga; 2006: POP, BV, CSR; 2005: AS-Mu, Off-site, POFQ; 2004: POFQ, AS-Mo; 2003: CSR, AS-Mo, Royal Plaza; 2002: AS-Mu; AS-Mu, CBR, Off-site; 2001: WL; 2000: Landings/Magic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    I've got it on home video with her saying exactly that line. Look for "Spaceship Earth - Dame Judi Dench" by WDWFacts on youtube. Click to about 18:50 and you'll hear it.
    *Eh*...doesn't evoke quite the same....*emotion*....as the Jeremy Irons version.

"After 30,000 years of time travel, here we are: a truly global community, poised to shape the future of this....our Spaceship Earth."
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

Judy Dench does not have that "majestic" voice this attraction should have.... She is monotone and coma inducing... The beginning of the attraction, the first half show scenes are just fine... The last half is a disgrace... WDI should be ashamed... Siemens should be embarrassed they floated the money for this one...

If they didn't want Jeremy Irons back, Patrick Stewart would have been the obvious choice.. or James Earl Jones... Morgan Freeman... Judy Dench? FAIL.... The script? Bigger fail... The script was written, it seems, on a 1st grade reading/writing level.. Seriously, listening to it feels like they are talking to a 5 year old...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I too preferred Jeremy Irons but it was Siemens that didn't. Or rather they wanted everything that had to do with the AT&T version be taken out and that included all the stuff in the final drop. Siemens pays the bills so they got what they wanted.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Of course the "peak" of the ride doesn't show the kids in two different countries talking and the mom singing her son a lullaby. That time is here. We have that kind of technology already. It would look antiquated if they kept things that have already happened on the portion where we look toward the future.

I like Dame Judi, but I LOVE Jeremy Irons. Funny story: DBF rode it said he liked Dame Judi. I said "Yeah, not bad. Although Jeremy Irons used to do the narr..." and he cut me off and said "BRING BACK JEREMY IRONS!" even though he never experienced that version of the ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Like a grand and miraculous spaceship.......

Ah, yes, SE is a shell of what it used to be. I miss the earlier versions. The script, the (lack of) scenery, the deep voice, etc. It's all lacking, IMO.

I guess I'm feeling a bit nostalgic for the original Future World, as I sit here listening to The Living Seas original preshow....the deluge!

Funny story when we first rode SE after the most recent redo, my then 12 yo son immediately says "It's M!" We love us some James Bond. And we love Dame Judi. She's just not right for SE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Ah, yes, SE is a shell of what it used to be. I miss the earlier versions. The script, the (lack of) scenery, the deep voice, etc. It's all lacking, IMO.

I guess I'm feeling a bit nostalgic for the original Future World, as I sit here listening to The Living Seas original preshow....the deluge!
    That's pretty much the way I feel about Spaceship Earth and most of Future World. The prime Future World attractions told a story that described the beginning, the present, and the future of whatever field or technology the ride/pavilion was geared towards. Now they're almost entirely cartoons or celebrities and the scripts that remain have been dumbed-down to the point of absurdity.

Post Thanks / Like

A little off topic ..... but, I remember going through as a teenager (during the Cronkite era) and then going outside and booking our dinner reservations at one of the interactive kiosks right there!
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey'sGirl View Post
    A little off topic ..... but, I remember going through as a teenager (during the Cronkite era) and then going outside and booking our dinner reservations at one of the interactive kiosks right there!
    Oh yeah Jen, I remember that well. We would go first thing in the morning and book our reservation. The good old days before PS's.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post

Funny story when we first rode SE after the most recent redo, my then 12 yo son immediately says "It's M!" We love us some James Bond. And we love Dame Judi. She's just not right for SE.

DH was just laughing at me the other day for listening to that. All I can say is that preshow may have had a lot to do with me pursuing a research career in science.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

ºoº

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

"Behold, the majesty of the Sistine ceiling." - Walter Cronkite.

I really miss that line.
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey'sGirl View Post
    1989... I don't know how long the kiosk with video of your reservation CM was around .. but it was in 1989.. I booked upstairs at Chefs.. don't remember what it was called.. bistro maybe... To THAT date.. most expensive Lunch the Wife and I had together...$62.00... We still mention that place today.
    Honeymoon, 89
    Poly 2002
    CR 2003
    Shades of Green May 2007
    GF June 2014 (25th Anniversary)

Post Thanks / Like

I love SSE and I adored the Jeremy Irons naration. Judi Dench, not so much. I love her as an actress but she sounds so condesending on the naration. But I will still ride SSE as many times as I can because its still so fantastic and relaxing.
    Sept 1994 - Off site
    July 1998 - Off site
    May 14 - 22, 2004 - Pop Century
    May 26 - June 3, 2006 - Polynesian
    Oct 18 - 24, 2008 - POR
    Oct 21 - 27, 2012 - Pop Century
    Oct 18 - 26, 2014 - Pop Century
    May 28 - June 4, 2016 - Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not 100% sure, but I thought the quote "this...our spaceship earth" is still in there at the peak (as of last November when we most recently rode the ride).

I love SSE because of what it means to the whole Epcot concept. I may be biased a bit being a high school Social Studies teacher lol.

I must admit my two kids 6 and 8, love this ride as well. They also really enjoy the interactive computer segment on the way down, so maybe it appeals to that generation. While I do miss what they have taken out on the way down, I understand the current version's place in the ride as it is a hands-on look at recent communication developments.

Very cool ride then and now in my opinion.

Great discussion everyone!

1979, 82, 85 & 88-Contemporary
    1990-Polynesian
    1995-All Star Sports
    2001-Coronado Springs (Honeymoon)
    2003-Offsite
    2007-Buena Vista Palace
    2010-Old Key West Resort
    6/2012-Pop Century
    11/2012-Art of Animation
    11/2013-Art of Animation
    11/2015-Art of Animation
    11/2016-Bay Lake Tower

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    "Behold, the majesty of the Sistine ceiling." - Walter Cronkite.

I really miss that line.
    Ah, thanks for reminding me of the exact line. I believe Irons used the same line.
    2014: BC; 2013: CS; 2012: POR, Dolphin; 2011: Hilton, Dolphin; 2010: POFQ, CSR; 2009: POFQ; 2008: HoJo DL, Royal Plaza; 2007: Saratoga; 2006: POP, BV, CSR; 2005: AS-Mu, Off-site, POFQ; 2004: POFQ, AS-Mo; 2003: CSR, AS-Mo, Royal Plaza; 2002: AS-Mu; AS-Mu, CBR, Off-site; 2001: WL; 2000: Landings/Magic

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I hate the new version and loved the prior versions. I find the Judy Dench narration to be one of the worst they've ever done. First off her voice and tone is completely wrong for a ride as majestic and epic as Spaceship Earth once was. She comes off as pedantic and condescending and it just totally ruins it.

Disney managed to take an attraction that was once in my top ten and drive it through the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie

Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Disney managed to take an attraction that was once in my top ten and drive it through the floor.

See, this is what I just don't get. Now if Ellen, Kelly Rippa, or Oprah did the narration, then I'd get the disgust. But I'm not getting the hate for M. Such a cool voice. Plus, the music is so much better than it once was. When the music changed, it was "about time" as it had become dated.

Sorry for being disagreeable but I was shocked by the "hate" word. Seems pretty strong for a great attraction. But that's just me.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: