Quantcast 3 adult ladies - where to stay?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 3 adult ladies - where to stay?

I am taking a trip with two of my girlfriends (we're all in our mid-to-late 20's) in the fall to WDW! So excited!!! The last time I was at WDW was 2008 so it's been awhile.

We're going for 5 days, and my friends have put me in charge of the planning, since I've spent so much time at WDW, and this will be their very first time.

I am trying to decide on where to stay. The things that are important to us are:

• easy transportation to the parks
    • a more adult-friendly resort (pools not overrun with children, a good bar to have a night cap at, etc)
    • an updated room (don't want to stay somewhere that feels old/outdated)
    • a decent store at the resort to buy snacks at before hitting the parks
    • we are interested in either a Deluxe or Moderate resort

Would love to see what you all recommend and why! Thanks so much.
    1986 & 1990 - off-site
    1988 - Dixie Landings
    1995 - Euro Disney - Hotel New York
    2001 - CBR
    2008 - POP
    March & May 2016 - POP
    July 2016 - CSR
    Sept 2016 - CSR
    Nov 2016 - POFQ & WL
    March 2017 - POR
    May 2017 - POR
    Upcoming trip: Nov 2019

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

After reading what you're looking for, I'd say check out the Boardwalk. With JellyRolls (dueling piano bar) right there and a couple restaurants, it's a cool spot with a lot going on, that's close to the parks.

It's walkable to both Epcot and DHS (there's also transportation, obviously).

Also in that area is the Yacht Club and Beach Club - may be worth checking out as well.

Full disclosure: I've never been inside a room at the Boardwalk, so I can't vouch for the state of the rooms.
    "Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."
    -Walt Disney

Sam Eagle: "WILL YOU STOP THIS FOOLISHNESS!"
    Gonzo: "What Foolishness would you like to see?"

Post Thanks / Like

Port Orleans - Riverside

Princess themed rooms, updated last year. ( I would request this when you book )

Almost equally distant from all the parks 10-15 minutes on the shuttle.

You can take the boats to Downtown Disney because it's on the river. That's a nice change from the buses.

There is a nice Lounge/Bar area with a piano player.

Multiple bus stops on the property so they don't get too crowded.

A large themed pool ( usually over run by kids ), but several private pools throughout the property that are much less busy and usually more quiet.

A decent size gift shop and the best food court of all the moderates ( in my opinion) .

Have fun planning your trip!!
    Scallywag

August 2004 - POR
    May 2006 - POF (Honeymoon Trip)
    September 2006 - Royal Pacific (Universal Studios)
    April 2007 - POR
    July 2009 - CBR
    June 2013 - CBR
    June 2014 - POF

June 2016 - POLY
    June 2017 - AKL
    June 2018 - BC

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to vote for POR as well. With a main pool and quiet pools, the quiet ones are usually quite quiet and a great place to swim and hang out. There is a popular bar area, with entertainment, a super store and probably the best food court of any resort.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

If price isn't an issue take a look at the Grand Floridian, its such a pretty resort I think its an appealing choice for three ladies and you have the monorail....also the Yacht Club and Boardwalk (I hear Beachclub has more kids) you have easy walking access to the WS so you can stroll over for dinner or drinks around the WS or hit the entertainment at the Boardwalk . However yacht club does share its pool with BC.

Moderates I would say for adults Coronado Springs or POR.

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

I would stay at Yacht Club.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for the responses so far, and please keep them coming! So much to think about and research.

Just wondering why no one has mentioned Wilderness Lodge, Polynesian, or Animal Kingdom? What about my criteria did they not fit? I am just curious, because I've always loved the theming of these resorts. When I'm at WDW, I like to feel like I'm in a totally different world, and I just don't feel like that at Grand Floridian, Yacht Club, or Boardwalk. They are very nice, but I just don't feel the "magic" there. Does that make sense?
    1986 & 1990 - off-site
    1988 - Dixie Landings
    2001 - CBR
    2008 - POP
    March & May 2016 - POP
    July 2016 - CSR
    Sept 2016 - CSR
    Nov 2016 - POFQ & WL
    March 2017 - POR
    May 2017 - POR

Post Thanks / Like

Fall+food and wine=the Epcot resort area!!! My favorite is boardwalk, but you won't be disappointed in any of them
    First trip...02/72 Fort Wilderness
    Last trip...2/2016 Boardwalk Inn
    Next trip...2/2017 Boardwalk Inn Princess Half Weekend

"Mama, another gator got in the house"

"Don't make me turn this formation around!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeOfTheJungle View Post
    Thanks so much for the responses so far, and please keep them coming! So much to think about and research.

Just wondering why no one has mentioned Wilderness Lodge, Polynesian, or Animal Kingdom? What about my criteria did they not fit? I am just curious, because I've always loved the theming of these resorts. When I'm at WDW, I like to feel like I'm in a totally different world, and I just don't feel like that at Grand Floridian, Yacht Club, or Boardwalk. They are very nice, but I just don't feel the "magic" there. Does that make sense?

These 3 are on my wish list, but currently out of my budget. AK would get my vote if $ were no issue. Poly would be a close 2nd with the Monorail. Let us know which one you go with...
    Scallywag

August 2004 - POR
    May 2006 - POF (Honeymoon Trip)
    September 2006 - Royal Pacific (Universal Studios)
    April 2007 - POR
    July 2009 - CBR
    June 2013 - CBR
    June 2014 - POF

June 2016 - POLY
    June 2017 - AKL
    June 2018 - BC

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1) Boardwalk/Yacht Club 2) Polynesian

I personally love Boardwalk. Walking distance to EPCOT or HS. Plenty of restaurants/bars nearby. Only thing about Beach Club is they have amazing pool which draws a lot of kids. If not the EPCOT area, then I like Poly. Of course there's buses, but you can take a boat/monorail to MK, and it's walking distance to TTC.
    2008 Sep: SOG
    2009 Feb: Poly / Apr: Timeshare
    2009 Nov: ASMo, BWV, PC
    2010 Sep: WL, OKW
    2011 Feb: Poly, BWV / Aug: BC, BWV, ASMo
    2012 Apr: FW Campgrounds / Aug: BWV
    2013 Feb: Timeshare
    2014 Feb: Timeshare
    2014 Nov: (DL) Grand Californian
    2015 Feb: OKW, Bonnet Creek Resort

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say Wilderness Lodge if you will be spending most of your time at MK. Otherwise, Boardwalk or Dolphin. Drawback with the Dolphin - can't get FP+ ressies ahead of time.
    Jill

14 visits (WDW)
    Offsite: Caribe Royale,Best Western
    On: POFQ, CBR, BC, WL, Dolphin

Post Thanks / Like

I would definitely choose an EPCOT resort what with the food & wine festival going on (I'm slightly past my 20s, but do generally travel there with my similar aged friends for girls trips).

I have not stayed at any of them, but we did also enjoy the environment of the Boardwalk at night. Easily accessible from all of them.

Only mod I have stayed at was Caribbean Beach, and it's very spread out so not overrun with children at all. However, I did not care for the bus transportation (always seemed like we were waiting longer than at other resorts), so we drove most of the time.
    Last edited by MargaretMessler; 03-24-2014 at 09:28 PM. Reason: spelling and more comments
    CBR - February 1992
    CBR - April 1993
    AS Music - February 1994
    AS Movies - February 2000
    Contemporary/DCL - April/May 2001
    AS Movies - January 2003
    CBR/DCL - September 2005
    Pop Century - May 2007
    Art of Animation - May 2013
    AS Movies - September 2013
    Pop Century - April/May 2015

Post Thanks / Like

I stand by my initial recommendation of Boardwalk, but I have stayed at a couple of the other resorts you mentioned.

I LOVE Wilderness Lodge - it's one of my favorites! However, you mentioned not overrun with kids (which is hard at Disney - I too, am in my late 20's without kids) - and there seemed to always be a ton of kids running around. There are hidden mickeys everywhere at that resort, so it is a constant a scavenger hunt with clues from the front desk. Also, the crowd from Whispering Canyon can get a bit loud in the lobby. The bar there is nothing special in my mind either. Transport to MK is by boat, and busses to the other parks - OK, but not exactly the best either. That's I didn't recommend that resort.

I've also stayed at AKL, BUT it is in the middle of nowhere! You mentioned easy transportation to the parks as your first criteria. So immediately that resort went to the bottom of my list. AKL is an amazing resort and if you stay there, make sure you get a room with a view, but it didn't seem to fit your "ideal" resort.

Never stayed at Poly, but I have eaten there many times, and it's certainly close to MK. But that monorail line does back up a LOT at park closing. Again, I haven't been in the rooms, but to me, the resort feels dated. Perhaps someone else may disagree or be more knowledgeable than me on this.

The good things for both Poly and WL is at night you can see the Electric Water Parade, which is kind of neat.

No matter what, I'm sure you guys will have a good time! Really, you aren't going to go wrong with any resort you stay at...
    "Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."
    -Walt Disney

Sam Eagle: "WILL YOU STOP THIS FOOLISHNESS!"
    Gonzo: "What Foolishness would you like to see?"

Post Thanks / Like

You should look into Coronado Springs. They have a dance club on site, a salon and spa. Could make for a good girls weekend

Post Thanks / Like

I love WL but not sure if it is what you are looking for when it comes to night life.

Pool: The main pool is loud and there are a lot of little ones but it is Disney. You can use the quiet pool by the villas (also has a hot tub) which was redone this year.

Rooms: Underwent a refurbishment in 2013 and the rooms really look great. Much brighter than they were.

Lounge: Territory Lounge, slightly small, is a great place for a nightcap. They also have a nice snack menu. During the day Trout Pass Bar by the pool is open and they have some tables around back by the beach. My favorite spot to relax!

The Merchantile: Since WL also has the villas the store has a wider selection than some.

Transportation: No better or worse than anywhere else. If you're splitting time between all parks it's fine. If you're spend most of your time at Epcot, probably not the resort for you IMO.

Sturdy Branches: Does have a health club on site if that interests your group. Also offers massages at a reasonable price.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Just wondering, because this might play a factor.

Do you three adults plan on sharing a room?

Post Thanks / Like

I love AKL I have DVC so I stay in a studio villa. If you consider renting points and get a 1 bedroom at Kidani, I believe they have 2 bathrooms. Jambo House has more in the way of quick service and a larger gift shop. I still love Kidani and it's slower pace. It is an easy walk (or bus/shuttle)ride over to Jambo House. The theming is incredible and for a first visit the savannah view is a must.

Jambo House also has regular non DVC rooms as well as DVC villas.

Don't know about the bars at either one. Love the theming at the pools. Even when it was busy, kids and all. I never felt the kids were taking over.

The only draw back is all transportation is by bus or your own car. Kidani is the first pickup/drop off, with the exception of the bus going to DTD.

I love the way you are transported into another world at AKL and how peaceful it is after a busy day at the parks.
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesfan123 View Post
    Just wondering, because this might play a factor.

Do you three adults plan on sharing a room?
    Yes, we will share a room.

Thanks everyone for the insight! It's a lot to think about, and I appreciate you all explaining your reasoning behind each resort!

Right now, my biggest contenders are: Coronado Springs, Boardwalk, Port Orleans Riverside, and Wilderness Lodge.
    1986 & 1990 - off-site
    1988 - Dixie Landings
    2001 - CBR
    2008 - POP
    March & May 2016 - POP
    July 2016 - CSR
    Sept 2016 - CSR
    Nov 2016 - POFQ & WL
    March 2017 - POR
    May 2017 - POR

Post Thanks / Like

My son and friends are in their 20s, they enjoyed AKL and WL. AKL is close to the AK park. They loved the resort and animals. However, they like the large pool and hot tubs at night. They enjoyed the lounge and restaurants and fitness area. They did not mind the bus to the parks. Hey they are in their 20s! Now, they also enjoyed the WL. This lodge is closer to the MK. It is just a boat ride to the MK. If you want to go to Epcot, you can pick up the monorail at MK. They thought the restaurants at WL were just ok. The pool is smaller and there is another pool at the Villas. They have hot tub and a fitness center and lounge, too. Of course, you have the lake and the Electric Water Parade. Honestly, you cannot go wrong with AKL or WL.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're going in the fall, you might be spending a lot of time at the F & W Festival (if you're within the dates) and you might want to be close. Being right there, walking distance to World Showcase, does make a big difference than having to bus or monorail over every time.

I would go with Yacht Club- the quiet pool is not a big draw with kids. It's a more adult environment, a little more upscale, plus so close to Epcot and World Showcase, where you might be spending lots of time. The gift shop is a good one, lots to interest adult buyers, plus you have lots of in-resort bar options (lobby bar, Crew's Cup Lounge, Pool/Beach bar). Good restaurants (Captain's Grille or Yachtsman's Steakhouse, if you want a quiet night in). Boardwalk is just a walk across a bridge or a boat ride if you want a late night out, but you're also a little more removed from it if you want a quiet night's sleep. Also at the YC, you might be able to get a room with a day bed so no one has to share a bed. Coronado Springs might be a decent choice for less money, but you're losing the proximity.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: