Quantcast 3 weeks to go: Tore ligaments in my ankle :down:

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down 3 weeks to go: Tore ligaments in my ankle :down:

So, I'm right at the end of my countdown for mine and DBF's first trip as just the two of us, and today I have managed to tear a ligament in my ankle. To say I'm annoyed with myself is an understatement. My doctor has said this can take up to 6 weeks to heal, and we're leaving in 3 weeks. Our plan was to spend a lot of time wandering around Epcot and AK, and hopefully in the waterparks, so I'm really not sure where to go from here! I'm currently on crutches, which although a bit of a nightmare get me from A to B over here, but I'm not sure how I'll cope when in Orlando. We're staying at POFQ, which I know is quite small so I should be fine. What do you recommend for the parks? I don't want to be that 29 year old in a wheelchair, but even the thought of navigating the queues with my crutches is causing stress, let alone actually getting around the parks.

Any ideas? Or has anybody had a similar situation that they have coped with? Thanks in advance as always!
    94- Offsite
    98- ASMu
    00- Offsite
    04- DLR
    06- Offsite
    08- Offsite
    11- ASMU
    12- Disneyland Paris DCR
    13- August Offsite + AKL
    14- March POFQ!
    15- Christmas atGrand Floridian

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Rent a motorized wheelchair from an off-site source and use that. It will make your life much easier, allow you the freedom to move yourself from point a to point b without anyone needing to push a chair, and won't tire you out as much. Don't worry about using the chair - in this situation you need it.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Rent an ECV from an off-site company. Don't worry about it, or what people think. It is most important that you're able to enjoy the parks and the ECV will be the answer.

We had to rent a wheelchair on our last trip since DD had had ankle surgery. At home she managed with crutches and her knee scooter, but there was no way that would have worked for hours each day around Disney.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Yes my mom had her tendons replaced in her feet and did just fine with a Scooter. I recommend Apple Scooters they are cheaper than renting from Disney and will deliver to your hotel

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with using Apple Scooter. We have used them a number of times. We had break down and responded with a replacement scooter within 30 min.

If order online you get their hazard insurance free.

Hope this helps...
    Itchy for another trip

Caribbean Beach 1989, 90, 92
    All St Movies 1999, 04, 05, 11
    All St Sports 2006
    Pop 2007, 08 x2, 09 x2, 10, 12 x2,13,14,15,16,17,18,2021,23
    POR 2010 x2, 11
    Coronado Springs 2019

Post Thanks / Like

First, don't panic. Torn ligaments will take a good while to heal, I've torn almost every ligament in both ankles over the course of my life. The good thing is that you have 3 WEEKS till you leave! That is a good amount of time for some good healing to happen! You won't be 100%, but you will be much better than you are now!

Do everything that your doctor says - to the letter! What helped me last time I shredded an ankle were ice baths for my ankle - 20 minutes in, 20 minutes out of a bucket half water and half ice! Talk to you doctor about what will help you heal the quickest though cause everyone is different!

A couple days out from your trip, make a judgement call on how well you can get around. Renting an ECV from an off site place is definitely the best idea. You do NOT want to be wandering around the parks on crutches. Make sure to take a look at their websites to find out how much advance notice you need to give.

I hope you heal quickly! There are always worse places to spend your time with a sprained ankle!
    It is my dream to one day pilot the monorails around the Seven Seas Lagoon....where's my star!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm siding with the rent a scooter from Apple group. I once used crutches on a trip to Hawaii due to a pulled Achilles tendon and I felt off balance and exhausted the entire trip. I like a scooter over a wheelchair as it lets me be more in control.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for Apple. DW and I are both handicapped, and have our own, but I used Apple several times before I had my own.
    Last trip, DWs scooter broke down at WDW so we called Apple to rent one for the remainder of our vacation. It was delivered next morning.
    I had researched many rental companies in the past and Apple, by far gives the best deal. And free insurance, too.
    Just get comfortable riding it before you hit the park crowds.
    Try going to Wallmart, or Target to get some riding experience first.
    PETE FROM NYC
    DISNEY NUT SINCE THE 1950s.
    I AM POOH SIZED AND PROUD OF IT.
    FORGET ABOUT THAT OTHER FAT GUY ON TV.
    I AM THE REAL KING OF QUEENS
    TWELVE TRIPS FROM 1975 - 2007 all by plane
    Drove down 2009,2010,2012,2014.
    DVC since 9/09. We own at BLT.
    Next trip: 11/1 to 11/12. BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfun View Post
    First, don't panic.
    Do everything that your doctor says - to the letter!

I hope you heal quickly! There are always worse places to spend your time with a sprained ankle!
    Good advice from Disneyfun. Couldn't have said it better.

Good luck to you.

Post Thanks / Like

You will need to prevent accidental bumps from the crowds as well. They can be painful. Overall a scooter sounds good. Feet in a wheelchair stick out and get hit. If you can walk a bit by then, you will control the swelling better with occasional very short walks onto the rides.
    Boardwalk
    Animal Kingdom Jambo
    Coronado Springs
    POP
    POP
    POP
    POP
    Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply, you've all filled me with a bit more hope for my holiday!

I have checked out Apple Scooters, and they look extremely reasonable to me- especially considering the day by day prices at the theme parks! I am walking slightly better on my ankle (and it looks like a very muddy rainbow at the moment!) but I think I'm definitely going to need to go down the ECV route.

One last question, we had booked a rental car and a night at a Universal hotel. Do you think I'll be better scrapping the rental car and arranging transport to Universal in this case, or just hire something to use for the day at Universal?

Again, thank you so much for all the brilliant advice, it means so much! I'm so glad I joined these boards!
    94- Offsite
    98- ASMu
    00- Offsite
    04- DLR
    06- Offsite
    08- Offsite
    11- ASMU
    12- Disneyland Paris DCR
    13- August Offsite + AKL
    14- March POFQ!

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone has pretty much given great input, but don't worry about being "the 29 year old in the wheelchair" or in this case, scooter. Its better than the miserable 29 year old on crutches.

Honestly, I think if you have the right attitude, you and your boyfriend will get plenty of laughs out of the trip. Hey, it's a new way to see Disney and it will be a good story. "Hey, remember the time we went to Disney and you were in the scooter?" Things like that make a relationship.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DonaldDuckUSA View Post
    Everyone has pretty much given great input, but don't worry about being "the 29 year old in the wheelchair" or in this case, scooter. Its better than the miserable 29 year old on crutches.

Honestly, I think if you have the right attitude, you and your boyfriend will get plenty of laughs out of the trip. Hey, it's a new way to see Disney and it will be a good story. "Hey, remember the time we went to Disney and you were in the scooter?" Things like that make a relationship.
    I think you're completely right, and my comment was a little mis-spoken- I was a little upset at the time, but I know that we'll have a fantastic time anyway- how could you not, we'll be at Disney after all!
    94- Offsite
    98- ASMu
    00- Offsite
    04- DLR
    06- Offsite
    08- Offsite
    11- ASMU
    12- Disneyland Paris DCR
    13- August Offsite + AKL
    14- March POFQ!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jen1984 View Post
    I think you're completely right, and my comment was a little mis-spoken- I was a little upset at the time, but I know that we'll have a fantastic time anyway- how could you not, we'll be at Disney after all!
    I don't blame you for being upset at the time. I'd probably be a little frustrated too. I'm glad you've come around. Have a GREAT trip! I hope you post the report. :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Keep in mind I am ancient. Years ago I watched an interview with David Lee Roth (frontman for Van Halen at the time). He was discussing the amount of work related time he spent traveling and why he still found traveling to be his favorite downtime activity. When asked about all the go wrong things that can happen when you travel, his answer was, "No matter how bad it may seem at the time, it will always be something that can become a funny story later."
    There have been many, many times that I have had down sides when traveling and I always remember his words. So far I am still finding those funny stories.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: