Quantcast DF's Observations, Thoughts, and Opinions From Current Trip - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for such an open and honest opinion of your recent trip. I feel you were very objective about everything you wrote! That being said - it makes me sad to see that this is the direction WDW has gone recently. Our past 2 trips were 2 of the most amazing and wonderful trips I have spent with my family - but that was with an early October and late April visit with the regular FP system in place. We knew how to use it and did so with gusto! We have been on the fence about returning with the upcoming changes. I wanted to see how it all played out before we spent our hard earned money on another trip. Our vacation dollars are not easy to come by so I want to make sure they are spent in the most enjoyable way possible. You highlighted exactly what I was thinking might happen as I have been reading the slow roll out of everything. I'm sure the CM's attitudes are largely based on some negativity they are continually hearing from guests on the new system happening.

That being said - we are choosing to spend our vacation $$ on Universal Studios next summer. We have never been and my family has been pushing to visit that theme park for a while. We have also been on the fence about trying to plan a day trip to Magic Kingdom while we are there but I believe that we will now skip it. Too many unknowns about getting a ticket the "day of" without the ability to get a FP+ for our favorites. AND - we are visiting in the summer when the heat & crowds will add to the level of stress....and we don't own a smartphone.

I have no doubt we will return to WDW at some point - too many wonderful memories for me but I don't want it to be ruined as they roll out this new system of reservations, magic bands and FP+. Again - thank you for your level of detail and honest opinions. I will keep the magic memories I have for now and visit other areas of Orlando in the meantime. I haven't given up on WDW - just choosing "for now" to visit other areas while they get a better handle on the flow of things. You did a wonderful job!
    Melinda

Trips:

Offsite - June 1997
    WL - October 2008
    POFQ - April/May 2010

RPH - Universal - May 7th-11th 2014
    POFQ - Sept. 27-30, 2014 (just the two of us!)
    Royal Pacific Hotel - Universal - June 27th - July 1st, 2015
    POFQ - Sept 2017

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Stopped reading after Living with the Land.
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gregandmel View Post
    Thank you for such an open and honest opinion of your recent trip. I feel you were very objective about everything you wrote! That being said - it makes me sad to see that this is the direction WDW has gone recently. Our past 2 trips were 2 of the most amazing and wonderful trips I have spent with my family - but that was with an early October and late April visit with the regular FP system in place. We knew how to use it and did so with gusto! We have been on the fence about returning with the upcoming changes. I wanted to see how it all played out before we spent our hard earned money on another trip. Our vacation dollars are not easy to come by so I want to make sure they are spent in the most enjoyable way possible. You highlighted exactly what I was thinking might happen as I have been reading the slow roll out of everything. I'm sure the CM's attitudes are largely based on some negativity they are continually hearing from guests on the new system happening.
    Thank you for taking the time out to read... I know it was a lot LOL... Like I said before, i try to be objective.. I stopped wearing pixie dusted glasses a long time ago... But I also put away that "doom and gloom" hat... After changing my plans and making them with my brother, I began to get really excited about the trip, despite not wanting to go to WDW... I am glad I did... I did have a good time even though we ran into some hiccups...

That being said - we are choosing to spend our vacation $$ on Universal Studios next summer. We have never been and my family has been pushing to visit that theme park for a while. We have also been on the fence about trying to plan a day trip to Magic Kingdom while we are there but I believe that we will now skip it. Too many unknowns about getting a ticket the "day of" without the ability to get a FP+ for our favorites. AND - we are visiting in the summer when the heat & crowds will add to the level of stress....and we don't own a smartphone.
    I don't think you'll regret it... Just a word of advice: Go to Universal without comparing everything to Disney, or thinking it is Disney... It isn't... But it is still fun and truly an up and coming resort destination... In 10 years, the parks will be different...

I have no doubt we will return to WDW at some point - too many wonderful memories for me but I don't want it to be ruined as they roll out this new system of reservations, magic bands and FP+. Again - thank you for your level of detail and honest opinions. I will keep the magic memories I have for now and visit other areas of Orlando in the meantime. I haven't given up on WDW - just choosing "for now" to visit other areas while they get a better handle on the flow of things. You did a wonderful job!
    Again, thank you for the kind words... I have given up on WDW... For now... I do think the parks, even though stale and now a massive headache just to plan, are still fun... But the vacation planning is now just crazy, and you are no longer a valued guest... You are now treated as just a wallet or an ATM machine... While they never cared about you before, they at least faked it very good... Now, there is no faking... They just don't care...

This trip did not change my feelings.. They need to win me over again... I don't like the FP+ system, but I'll use it and get used to it... And the magic bands weren't and aren't a breaking point... They worked as intended, though I don't see how these made anything easier... I do have to laugh when people say "Now we don't have to take out KttW card out of our pocket." I never thought that was such a hassle to so many LOL...

Ohhh one thing DOLE WHIPS!!!! That is all...

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Stopped reading after Living with the Land.
    I know, you read how I too love LwtL and you went off into dream land lol... I gave ya kudos for sending me to the Be Our Guest FP site too... Was well worth it Thanks for that!
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    And I forgot to talk about the Cast Members... I don't think I ever encountered a group of miserable people ever during any Disney trip... While there were a few bright spots, they were far between... the Jungle Cruise CMs were great... The resort greeters were very friendly and extremely helpful... I needed a cab one day, and they got one for me in no time...

However, the CM at the theme parks (excluding the JC) had attitudes... No one smiled, no one greeted you, no one said hi, and no one interacted... In previous trips, they always (or at least for the most part) said hello or smiled or interacted in a positive way... This year, they all seemed to be miserable... They seemed unhappy, as if they didn't want to work there... And this was at all 4 WDW theme parks... When not on the clock (or posting on WDW fan forums), they really let their hair down... The things you learn and hear about... Oh boy... LOL...

....ditto ditto ditto on the attitudes of the CM's. We were there last week of August ...and the "long" faces and attitude started the second we got to the resort check-in counter (POP). CM there was full of p!ss & vinegar attitude ...didn't care one bit to help with room location (as requested many times) ...refused to get a supervisor to see if they could work things out ....and even continued with attitude when dealing with the room-fridge fiasco and the $15/night credit. Same attitude seen through all the parks ....

....so it wasn't just me (as confirmed by your report) and was also confirmed by my oldest daughter ...who has friends that are CM's (in parks, and one is a lifeguard at WL) ...and another that's an 'imagineer' in the art department. They all confirmed to her that there is a substantial decrease in morale ...all across the board. CM's in parks not happy about hours ....revised shifts ....decreased shifts ...added workload. I saw it too with CM's that are LONGTIME cashiers at the POP food court ...one of which we have seen there for the past 7 years. The usual smile, happy greeting ...and small talk chit-chat (she's from our area) ...we noticeably absent.

....and ...when the bartender at Petals tells us the same type of story ...you know that something is amiss.

....I'm currently working on a letter to Disney to express my complete displeasure with this past trip ......and that's something that I honestly can say I would NEVER have thought I'd need or want to do.
    April '04- POP
    "Jersey Week" '04 - ASM
    "Jersey Week" '05- POP
    "Jersey Week" '06- POP
    "Jersey Week"'07- DCL & POP
    "Jersey Week" '08- POP
    Dec '09- Jan '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '11- POP
    Aug-Sept '12- POP
    Aug-Sept '13- POP
    Aug '17 - POP

British Columbia, Canada (3408 miles from WDW!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for such a thorough report! I'm hoping all the glitches are gone by my trip in August!

One question....they have fast pass for Be Our Guest? Did I misunderstand that? Isn't this a restaurant?
    ~Lynne~

On deck, you scabrous dogs! Man the braces! Let down and haul to run free. Now...bring me that horizon

DCL 2008 Mexico, 2011 Alaska, 2013 Caribbean
    WDW 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
    Disneyland 2015, 2004,1993,1992, 1991,1973

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marlyn View Post
    One question....they have fast pass for Be Our Guest? Did I misunderstand that? Isn't this a restaurant?
    They were testing fast pass luncheon reservations - not sure where things stand with this now.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    They were testing fast pass luncheon reservations - not sure where things stand with this now.
    Seriously? So would that use up one of the three you are allowed? I would never use a FP for dining over an attraction....

If I could use FP for dining without taking away from how many I was allowed for attractions, then I would do it. Seems crazy to me....but then waiting 60 min to get QS lunch at Be Our Guest also seems crazy.
    ~Lynne~

On deck, you scabrous dogs! Man the braces! Let down and haul to run free. Now...bring me that horizon

Post Thanks / Like

Seriously? So would that use up one of the three you are allowed? I would never use a FP for dining over an attraction....

If I could use FP for dining without taking away from how many I was allowed for attractions, then I would do it. Seems crazy to me....but then waiting 60 min to get QS lunch at Be Our Guest also seems crazy.
    The Be Our Guest Fastpass+ isn't connected to the rest of the system. You don't lose an attraction entitlement if you take advantage of it.

Post Thanks / Like

The Be Our Guest Fastpass+ isn't connected to the rest of the system. You don't lose an attraction entitlement if you take advantage of it.
    Hmmmm, interesting. Well I would consider that if it is still offered in August. I would like to eat there at lunch so I could see it. Don't care about dinner as I don't believe it is worth the cost.
    ~Lynne~

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDad View Post
    ....ditto ditto ditto on the attitudes of the CM's. We were there last week of August ...and the "long" faces and attitude started the second we got to the resort check-in counter (POP). CM there was full of p!ss & vinegar attitude ...didn't care one bit to help with room location (as requested many times) ...refused to get a supervisor to see if they could work things out ....and even continued with attitude when dealing with the room-fridge fiasco and the $15/night credit. Same attitude seen through all the parks ....

....so it wasn't just me (as confirmed by your report) and was also confirmed by my oldest daughter ...who has friends that are CM's (in parks, and one is a lifeguard at WL) ...and another that's an 'imagineer' in the art department. They all confirmed to her that there is a substantial decrease in morale ...all across the board. CM's in parks not happy about hours ....revised shifts ....decreased shifts ...added workload. I saw it too with CM's that are LONGTIME cashiers at the POP food court ...one of which we have seen there for the past 7 years. The usual smile, happy greeting ...and small talk chit-chat (she's from our area) ...we noticeably absent.

....and ...when the bartender at Petals tells us the same type of story ...you know that something is amiss.

....I'm currently working on a letter to Disney to express my complete displeasure with this past trip ......and that's something that I honestly can say I would NEVER have thought I'd need or want to do.
    I won't be writing a letter to Disney, though maybe I should... I never did before, but there is always a first time for everything... As for the CMs, some that I met this trip have stated they very frustrated with the way management is treating them, how they are being fed to the dogs with this NextGen nonsense, and the Guest Relations CMs have excessive stress dealing with a really P.O.'d public.... Plus, they get no support from management... Morale is low... They also know, once this tracking of guests really gets into the flow of things, they will start seeing decreased hours because less CMs will be needed... Guest Relations CMs are looking to leave their positions, and are being stopped... Disney has even gone to more extreme measures regarding CMs posting on fan sites... So, if you read a Cm posting positive information about this failed program, they are either doing it cause they are being watched and are scared to speak the truth, or are being paid by Disney to spread false positive information to counter act the truthful negative news...

Thank you for such a thorough report! I'm hoping all the glitches are gone by my trip in August!

Yes, you read it correctly... They offer FP for Be Our Guest... There is a special website you can use to sign up... People were receiving emails inviting them to FP testing, but the link has been placed out there to the public... I was not invited, but still was able to use it...

As others have said, the FP for Be Our Guest did not count against the three attractions/experiences choices... In the future, who knows? I do understand that if testing for FP at Be Our Guest is successful, that choosing a restaurant FP will start counting against your three... But that has not been confirmed, and if happens, won't happen for a while...

Hmmmm, interesting. Well I would consider that if it is still offered in August. I would like to eat there at lunch so I could see it. Don't care about dinner as I don't believe it is worth the cost.
    If the FP is still offered in August, I recommend using it... But only if it does not count against your other choices... I would never wait 60 minutes for Be Our Guest, or anything really... Nothing is worth that wait... But if you could FP BOG, then do it... The place is well themed and the food was good... But not so much where I'd wait 60 minutes... It isn't that good LOL...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

Post Thanks / Like

I find it sad that the CM are not happy and feel they are not being treated well by management. I wonder how Walt feels about this if he is looking down on things? Wasn't his philosophy such that if you treat your employees well, then they treat the public well....It was Disney's key to success wasn't it? Happy employees = happy public =success in the company= $$$
    It would do the company well to remember this simple business philosophy.
    ~Lynne~

Post Thanks / Like

DizneyFreak2002, thank you for a very thorough and objective review of your stay. I've been following your posts here for a while and I was anticipating your impressions.

Regarding FastPass+ on unnecessary rides (POTC, Haunted Mansion), you confirmed my fears. FastPass+ exacerbates wait times unnecessarily on these rides. They can handle a tremendous ride-through volume and do not need FastPass+ during normal seasons. (Maybe during the busiest of season, but not in October / November).

I am truly sad for CMs. It appears an undue stress is being placed upon them. And the shame is: Walt Disney World's original system was the best in the business -- FOR FREE!!!!!!!!!
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't go to Be Our Guest without a Fastpass at this point. The line outside is absurdly long. I waited the soon after it opened because I really wanted to experience the new restaurant. But now that I've eateh there three times over the past year, I can't bring myself to wait an hour for lunch.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't go to Be Our Guest without a Fastpass at this point. The line outside is absurdly long. I waited the soon after it opened because I really wanted to experience the new restaurant. But now that I've eateh there three times over the past year, I can't bring myself to wait an hour for lunch.
    Maybe the novelty of it will wear off by August.....Bah, who am I kidding. I used to think the novelty would wear off Toy Story Midway Mania as well
    ~Lynne~

Post Thanks / Like

I predict a great big price increase in the near future, once they run off all the day guests.
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

And I forgot to talk about the Cast Members... I don't think I ever encountered a group of miserable people ever during any Disney trip..
    BTW, thank you for your reports! Awesome, honest and fair.

I have to agree with some CM's attitudes, .
    Getting on the TTA yesterday, dressed in our Ravens jerseys with my DD (10) the CM said, "Ravens ****, go Steelers."

Now, I can handle friendly competition about my team and I respect Steeler fans but I don't need negative opinions from my friendly neighborhood CMs with my daughter right next to me....c'mon man!
    Kathy
    [COLOR=DarkRed]

'72, '88, '91, '92, '93, '94, '95, '96, '97, '99, '00, '01, 3/03, 10/03, 1/05, 4/05, 1/06, 10/06, 1/07, 5/07, 12/07, 10/08, 5/09, 11/09, 1/10, 10/10, 12/10, 10/11, 07/12, 11/12, 10/13, 4/14, DCL6/14, 10/14, 1/15, 5/15, WL8/15 & 11/15! Finally Moved to FLORIDA 2/16!! :D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rkmemkc View Post

Getting on the TTA yesterday, dressed in our Ravens jerseys with my DD (10) the CM said, "Ravens ****, go Steelers."

Now, I can handle friendly competition about my team and I respect Steeler fans but I don't need negative opinions from my friendly neighborhood CMs with my daughter right next to me....c'mon man!
    A Cast Member said "s uck" to a guest with a small child nearby" Wow.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the comments... There are a few of you I do want to respond to, but will do that later, need to run for a bit... I do want t mention one thing (I forgot to mention this before, and as I remember small little things, I'll update)...

A lot of us complained about Starbucks coming to the parks... Some complained because they thought there would be a visual intrusion, some because the Bakery was going away for Starbucks, others cause Starbucks coffee is horrible...

I complained because I hate Starbucks coffee and hated the loss of the bakery... but I never thought it would be a visual intrusion... and it isn't... You wouldn't even know Starbucks was there if you didn't look specifically for the small sign... And in Epcot, Fountainview is still Fountainview, just with a much more futuristic looking facade... Kept the name... Wouldn't even know it was a Starbucks... So far they have been very well done and blend in nicely... Still can't stand the coffee though.. Burnt mud...

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed. I've eaten there twice. I enjoyed it but probably wouldn't wait again. My husband and I waited 30 minutes in mid October.

Quote Originally Posted by rkmemkc View Post

It's funny because I haven't had that experience with cast members at all and I've visited twice this September and twice this October. I am not doubting anyone's experience. I'm just amazed how inconsistent the the cast member / guest experience is. On our last trips we had several above average experiences.

In September a cast member at a store sprinkled "pixie dust" on my daughter's head to help "protect" her in the Haunted Mansion. In October we were in line to get a new pack of SotMK cards and the line was long. A cast member recommended we go to the other site to get them because the line there would be shorter but he said because of an upgrade we might need to play before we could get new cards. He took my card, checked for me and then told me the location I had to play before getting new cards, so I wouldn't waste my time in line.

I did come across some cast members who were not overly enthusiastic but no one who was rude to me.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't even know it was a Starbucks... So far they have been very well done and blend in nicely... Still can't stand the coffee though.. Burnt mud...
    I keep the the non coffee refreshers. Much yummier.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: