Quantcast Helpful Advice for First Timer!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Helpful Advice for First Timer!

Hi,

I actually have been to Disney before, but many many many years ago and we are going in November. This will be the first trip ever for my husband and for my 4 year old son. I am so excited, but a bit crazy! There is so much information to absorb! I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share with me their best pieces of advice for us newbies! You guys are such a wealth of knowledge it is awesome!

We are staying at Port Orleans in the Royal Rooms.

Thank you so much! :-)

Disney here we come!!!!!!!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

are you going thanksgiving week or outside of thanksgiving week?

how many days are you going?
    Rob
    2/90 - Fort Wilderness Cabin
    2/92, 94, 98 - Beach Club
    2/96 - Dixie Landings
    2/99, 00 - All Star Sports
    5/05 - Pop Century
    5/07 - Coronado Springs
    8/08 - Beach Club Villas
    4/10 - Wilderness Lodge Villas
    8/12 - Disneyland (offsite)
    11/13 - Beach Club Villas

DVC Member

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like an amazing trip. I'm a very simple person, so I'll share with you what we usually tell our first-time friends:

- Quality over quantity. It's better to enjoy a few things than it is to try and rush around to do it "all".

- Work your day around your 4 year-old. If they are having a great time in the parks, let them enjoy. If they can use a break and want to enjoy some pool time in the afternoon, let them enjoy. If they want to stop and enjoy an ice cream, go for it (within reason, of course!).

- Take a camera, have many GBytes of space on your memory card, and take as many photos as you can.

- HAVE FUN.

Hope you have a great trip.

Post Thanks / Like

Plan to take it slow. You may think the picture perfect moment may come when the little guy is riding Dumbo but he may find the monorail to be the greatest attraction in the whole resort. Follow his lead

Along those lines, some kids adore characters and rides and others are terrified. Your more likely to have a happy kid if you let him make those first introductions slowly.

Plan a "park" bag in advance with necessities. A well packed bag or stroller can save you the headache of finding child safe tylenol or spending $15 on a dry pair of socks.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

șoș

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

We are going Nov. 9-16th.

Post Thanks / Like

Well be staying in the royal rooms at POR the 12-19, as well! See you there, lol! Well be the ones with the two year old boy. Say hi if you see us!
    Many trips as a child offsite
    1995 Disney Cruise/Old key west
    New Years 2001 Caribbean Beach Resort
    March 2006 Offsite
    Sept 2010 Coronado Springs Resort
    November 2013 POR
    Sept/oct 2014 cars room at AOA
    Next trip: too long!

Post Thanks / Like

i always suggest--in regards to characters--watch a few youtube videos and talk about how much bigger the characters are in real life (rather than on tv). Keep it positive, and dont force much. The characters are great at trying to interact and play to make a kid comfortable.
    First visit: Feb. 1989
    a bunch in between
    Next visit: 6/16

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joyrob18 View Post
    We are going Nov. 9-16th.
    An excellent time to go!!

I think the number one thing to keep in mind is that there is no possible way you can do everything. If you get that fact firmly fixed in your brain, it will help you to slow down and actually enjoy the trip.

As others have said, let your 4 year old more of less set the pace. It's in everyone's best interest to do so.

However, you do want to have some sort of a plan. Make a list if those things you really want to do: What 5 rides at each park are you, personally, really looking forward to experiencing? What shows do you want to see? Having a short list will help to make the trip "successful". Doing something that's not on the list (and you will) is just a bonus.

Be sure to check out the various street performers (schedule and locations will be noted in the Entertainment Schedule you can pick up upon entrance to the park). These can be some of the best times of all, especially with little ones. Take time to watch the Fountain show at Epcot.

We were there last December (early) with our 5 year-old granddaughter. She loved the boats, trains and monorail as much or more than any of the 'rides'. Several times a day she would just want to sit and watch everything that was going on around her. It's those things she talks about now - not the rides. (Well, except for IASW. I think I rode that with her at least 20 times. But even there the big deal was riding with Papa.)

Anyway, pay attention to what's going on around you - there's so much more than just the rides. Be sure to point out to your little one the beauty of the place and the little things that are all around. Most importantly, have an amazing trip.

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

I saw someone one time mention bringing young children to a place like Chucky Cheese before the trip to get an idea of what the characters are like. That way you'll have a good idea of how he'll react and he'll have an idea of what the expect in terms of the characters.
    Aryn

I am the rebel spy.

Post Thanks / Like

Disney World has so much to offer, it can be quite overwhelming. Don't attempt to do everything - it's just not possible. If you have not already done so, get a book on the parks and the attractions - Birnbaum's Official is a good one. Figure out your must-dos in each park and make sure you do those things first. Don't spend your time rushing from ride to ride in the hopes that you get to ride every ride during your trip. Your 4 year old may find something that fascinates him that you might not feel is the best use of your park time - never mind - go with it. Don't be surprised if your child's favorite ride is something "free" like riding on the monorail!!

If your child is tired, go back to your resort and rest or enjoy some things at your resort - you want this trip to be enjoyable for everyone. A tired family dragging themselves from attraction to attraction is not enjoying themselves.

If you have not made any dining reservations and you have some places you'd really like to try, make reservations. It might be too late for the most popular places.

Download the Disney app on your phone. It's helpful to show wait times and you can even figure out restaurants that still have availability.

Something will NOT go as planned. Don't worry about it. Adapt and change plans as needed. You never know - your alternative may turn out to be the best experience you have on your vacation.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: