Quantcast Kids viewing parades

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Kids viewing parades

Hi!
    I really want my kids to have a good view of the
    Spectromagic Parade when we visit in October. It is their first trip.
    I remember when I was little, some adults let me stand in front of them at the rope. Are people generally that curtious or is the attitude, "I've been standing here for over an hour and too bad if I'm three feet taller than you"?
    I do want to say that we're not planning on cutting through the crowd just before the parade begins.
    What is your experience with little ones? How long is reallistic for them to sit and wait for the parade to begin?
    Thanks!
    Susan A

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Intercot!!!

Unfortunately, the Spectromagic parade no longer runs. However, the Main Street Electric Parade does run in it's place.

To answer your question, some people will let children in front of them for parade and fireworks viewing but I wouldn't count on it. I always do but not everyone is that nice. A realistic time expectation for your children to sit and wait just depends solely on your children and how patient they are. Mine were pretty good but others can't wait even a few minutes without getting fidgety.
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

If you"have" to have your children see the parade on Main Street or the hub area I would recommend getting there anywhere between 30 and 45 minutes before the parade starts and if the fireworks are before the parade your going to want to find a spot that long before the fireworks and then just don't move after the fireworks and stay there for the parade. It can be a long wait, lol. I usually stay there and put bags beside me and my husband takes the kids and do some quick rides or get a snack while I hold a spot for my son. However if you don't want to wait that long line up somewhere else along the parade route. Let's say Liberty Square or Frontierland. Those areas generally don't get busy as quickly. That's just my two cents. Good luck and have fun!

Also I have noticed sometimes the employees play games with the kids before the parade. But that's defiantly not a guaranteed thing. That usually helps the time pass by.
    Also cute and fluffy!!!!!
    Blue punch-buggy, no punch back!

Post Thanks / Like

Ahhh just noticed you are a fellow Maryland person. Cool!
    Also cute and fluffy!!!!!
    Blue punch-buggy, no punch back!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks
    I don't expect to be on Main St. I know how popular it is.
    I let small children stand in front of me. Why not?
    I like the idea of shopping bags to hold places for the kids.
    Hey, maybe they can skype with Grandmom while waiting for the parade to begin.

P.S.( "PastCastMemberDaughter", Just moved from Howard to Carroll County).
    Susan A

Post Thanks / Like

As an adult of only 5 ft. I have never seen a parade unless I am standing around Frontierland.

I would let them stand in front of me..: blush: I think most people would if asked nicely.
    first visIt: November 1973
    next planned visit: October, 2013 with friends
    resident Fairy Godmother

hearts are warmed when friends meet

see ya real soon

~*~*~*disneydeb*~*~*~

Post Thanks / Like

Take a blanket and set it out right at the curb to save your spots.

There's only me and my wife, and we do this all the time for the parade. We even let kids sit with us
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

If I am sitting on the curb, with my grandchildren, no, I wouldn't move to make room for some adorable kids who show up 10 minutes before the parade with their parents asking if they couldn't please squeeze in...I'm sorry, I've entertained my young ones for an hour waiting front and center so they have a good seat...am I mean, no, not really, but fair is fair. Now if I am standing behind people sitting, yep, I would let the kids stand in front of me...but not with their parents...sorry, mother and dad would have to stand behind me....
    Pirate Granny

October 2020 — 3 nights OKW, 3 nights Poly Lakeview and 1 night BWV studios
    November 2020 — BRV studio 9 nights
    December 2020 entire family GV OKW
    December 2020 January 2021 BCV studio

OH YEAH BABY !!! Proud owners at OKW + BCV + BRV + RR

Post Thanks / Like

Kids get the free pass to the head of the curb. Parents stand beside or behind me or in some circumstances if they have really little ones that need closely monitored I will insist that they stay close to their toddlers. My son is older and loves kids and has been known to "babysit" smaller ones that we let sit in front of us on the curb. The parades are for the kiddies and as long as I have an eye on my children and am assured that my son is keeping an eye out for others' little ones (with their parents' permission, I don't care who stands in front of me (child-wise). I wil go out of my way to ensure that there is no child that can't see the parade and I have also left myself open to abuse by parents who felt that they had a free pass to stand in front of me. I just politley remind them that my charity was for the children and not to make the view better for them (parents). Never been met with confrontation, rather more appreciation than anything.
    POP 05, 06, 07, 09
    All Star Sports 08
    AKKV 10
    CBR 9/14 -25, 2011
    POR 9/9/2012 - 9/20/2012
    8/31/2013 thru 9/1/2013 All Star Sports
    9/2/2013 thru 9/13/2013 Caribbean Beach Preferred Room

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey'sIrishPAl View Post
    Kids get the free pass to the head of the curb. Parents stand beside or behind me or in some circumstances if they have really little ones that need closely monitored I will insist that they stay close to their toddlers. My son is older and loves kids and has been known to "babysit" smaller ones that we let sit in front of us on the curb. The parades are for the kiddies and as long as I have an eye on my children and am assured that my son is keeping an eye out for others' little ones (with their parents' permission, I don't care who stands in front of me (child-wise). I wil go out of my way to ensure that there is no child that can't see the parade and I have also left myself open to abuse by parents who felt that they had a free pass to stand in front of me. I just politley remind them that my charity was for the children and not to make the view better for them (parents). Never been met with confrontation, rather more appreciation than anything.
    You have a wonderful attitude. Wish I could buy you a or the beverage of your choice.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

I second the suggestion to view the parades from Frontierland--it's a fairly straight section of the parade path, so you can see the floats, etc. quite well and doesn't tend to get as crowded as other areas.

As far as people letting your kids up in front of them at the parade, you might get lucky. But if they've been standing there for a long time, I don't think it's fair to expect it. I agree it's probably best to stake a spot out at least 30 minutes ahead of time. If you're worried that your kids will get fidgety, one person can hold the spot for a short period of time, but I wouldn't chance coming back just before the parade starts, as the viewing area can get pretty congested and you would have to manuever your way through the crowd.

I don't know how old your kids are, but have you talked about waiting for the parade with them? I would try to let them know what to expect ahead of time. I know with my son when he was little, his interest in the parades was minimal and so it was not worth the effort to wait.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Granny View Post
    If I am sitting on the curb, with my grandchildren, no, I wouldn't move to make room for some adorable kids who show up 10 minutes before the parade with their parents asking if they couldn't please squeeze in...I'm sorry, I've entertained my young ones for an hour waiting front and center so they have a good seat...am I mean, no, not really, but fair is fair. Now if I am standing behind people sitting, yep, I would let the kids stand in front of me...but not with their parents...sorry, mother and dad would have to stand behind me....

I am not a mean person, and definitely wish every child has a magical experience in Disney! That said, when my kids were younger we sometimes grabbed our spots for the parades 30 minutes to an hour ahead of time. It was very important to us at that time to have a great spot. DH and I enjoyed sitting on the curb with our children for the parades. If you are seated at the curb you can't let anyone in front of you, they can stand in front of the curb. And I am sorry, this may come off as mean, but there is no way I would stand up and give my spot to anyone after waiting that long. And besides I wanted to enjoy the parade sitting with my kids, not standing behind them. That's why we always got our spots early. My kids never had problems waiting. We were always very firm that if they wanted to watch the parade and have a good spot then we had to get there early and wait, just as they had to wait in lines for rides. This was from the time they were 2 years old and 9 months old until they were around 8 and 6. I think if my kids could wait then most children are also capable of waiting if it's important to them. Now that they are older sometimes we skip the parades altogether, sometimes we watch from behind others. It not so important to us now that we feel the need to get a great spot.

I just don't think it's fair to expect parents enjoying their time with their children to get up to allow your children when you arrive later simply because they are kids. I certainly never expected that.

Also the parades are not only for children. I am always surprised when I hear or read that comment, that WDW or the parades and shows are "for the kids". WDW is there for, and enjoyed by ALL!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    You have a wonderful attitude. Wish I could buy you a or the beverage of your choice.
    Captain and Coke. Meet me there in a week. We can't just have one so second round on me!! Your choice!!

Thanks tho. It means more to me to see my kids as well as any other child making memories and having that visual, albeit for 15 or 20 minutes, to hold on to as they grow up. If I can help any child, not just my own, see better and be that much closer to Mickey, Minnie, their favorite princess, etc. then I feel that I have done my part to show my children how its done as an adult. Hopefully my children will see this and practice this approach toward others when they eventually grow up and have their children in similar positions in the distant future. This is not the norm nor do I frown upon or look down on others that do not sahre my way of doing things but this is how I want my children to remember me...putting others before myself.
    I'll be waiting on that drink
    POP 05, 06, 07, 09
    All Star Sports 08
    AKKV 10
    CBR 9/14 -25, 2011
    POR 9/9/2012 - 9/20/2012

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey'sIrishPAl View Post
    Captain and Coke. Meet me there in a week. We can't just have one so second round on me!! Your choice!!

Thanks tho. It means more to me to see my kids as well as any other child making memories and having that visual, albeit for 15 or 20 minutes, to hold on to as they grow up. If I can help any child, not just my own, see better and be that much closer to Mickey, Minnie, their favorite princess, etc. then I feel that I have done my part to show my children how its done as an adult. Hopefully my children will see this and practice this approach toward others when they eventually grow up and have their children in similar positions in the distant future. This is not the norm nor do I frown upon or look down on others that do not sahre my way of doing things but this is how I want my children to remember me...putting others before myself.
    I'll be waiting on that drink
    I looked at your profile and your "parade" view makes perfect sense, seeing what you do for a living. I have no doubt your children will grow up to be fine people because of your example as a parent.

Lucky you to be heading down so soon and for as many days! Wish I could share that drink, but I'll toast you at one of my boys' football games.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    I looked at your profile and your "parade" view makes perfect sense, seeing what you do for a living. I have no doubt your children will grow up to be fine people because of your example as a parent.

Lucky you to be heading down so soon and for as many days! Wish I could share that drink, but I'll toast you at one of my boys' football games.
    That's a deal. And I will raise one to Aurora!!

Appreciate the kind words. Really means alot.
    POP 05, 06, 07, 09
    All Star Sports 08
    AKKV 10
    CBR 9/14 -25, 2011
    POR 9/9/2012 - 9/20/2012

Post Thanks / Like

As I stated before, I too prefer to let a child in front of me to be able to view the parade rather than to have to view my big butt. I don't care if I've been standing around for an hour and they just walked up - if I can make room for them, I will. My daughters will do the same too now that they are finally taller. They have been the appreciative recipients of the same kindness over the years. It enhances my enjoyment of the parade to know that I've possibly made someone else's day a little more magical.
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzznwoodysmom View Post

I just don't think it's fair to expect parents enjoying their time with their children to get up to allow your children when you arrive later simply because they are kids. I certainly never expected that.

Also the parades are not only for children. I am always surprised when I hear or read that comment, that WDW or the parades and shows are "for the kids". WDW is there for, and enjoyed by ALL!
    I am not sure if I misspoke in earlier posts but to address your statements:
    I would NEVER expect an adult to make room for my children. If we are not there to reserve spots for ourselves, then we should not be granted that privilege as we did not earn that right to have that spot.
    I can only speak to what I do, not what I expect of others. Me at 6 foot 1 will not stand close to the curb if I know that there are young ones behind me that will have restrictied view. Again, I would not expect anyone to make it easier for my children but I will make it easier for other children to better their view.
    I did not mean that the parades are just for children and I apologize if I offended. My take is that the children see Mickey Mouse and all of their favorite characters and truly believe that what they see is real hence the experience maybe means more to them than it might for adults who know that under the costume lies an every day Joe or Jane who is there DOING A JOB. Yes its glitz and glamour for adults and great photo ops, but in my opinion and I will not speak for others, it means more to them because it is real to the kids.
    POP 05, 06, 07, 09
    All Star Sports 08
    AKKV 10
    CBR 9/14 -25, 2011
    POR 9/9/2012 - 9/20/2012

Post Thanks / Like

Mickey's IrishPAL,

No offense taken, just giving my opinion and view point of the situation.

I should have added that any time we didn't get a spot early enough and had to stand behind those seated (just a few times) I would definitely allow a child to stand in front of me with my kids. But most of the time we were seated on the curb, often with one or both of the kids practically in my lap, or arms hung around my neck. Those kinds of experiences only happen so often, and we enjoyed them so much! There really isn't any room to allow another child to sit with us, they can't get in front of us as standing in front the curb isn't allowed, and I didn't want to miss out on these wonderful memories with my little ones. We know how quickly they grow up, and wouldn't be caught dead sitting or hanging on mom and dads lap or neck once they reach a certain age. Thankfully my youngest, even at 11, still loves to cuddle with his momma! My 13 year old, yeah, not so much. LOL.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Oh...i couldnt agree more. they grow up so fast and
    as far as the topic at hand i do respect your opinion greatly.
    POP 05, 06, 07, 09
    All Star Sports 08
    AKKV 10
    CBR 9/14 -25, 2011
    POR 9/9/2012 - 9/20/2012

Post Thanks / Like

This is unfortunately why we don't get to view many parades. My sons will not wait long enough to get a good spot. And they aren't old enough yet to send in front of us. Usually, we just pass by as the parade is going on and squeeze in if we get lucky and find a spot.
    DVC MEMBER since 2009
    CS- Oct.2006 *Honeymoon*
    ASM- Sept. 2009 BLT- Nov. 2010
    WLV- Oct. 2012 SSR- July 2013
    BLT- Jan. 2014 WLV- Nov. 2015
    SSR- Mar. 2016 OKW- Oct. 2017
    SSR- Apr. 2018 BC- May. 2018
    BC- Aug. 2018 BLT Dec. 2018

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: