Quantcast New Fanatasyland not so Fantastic - Page 6

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Post Thanks / Like

Well said Denise!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Wow!

Wow! Interesting and heated topic! We visited the New Fantasyland in Feb. - and it was very new. I was so excited about the LM ride, and it must have stopped 12 times while we were on it. It made for a nice, long ride! We could have been annoyed, but we saw it as an opportunity to have some extra time to check out the decor itself. I figured they still had some kinks to work out, and it gives me something to look forward to the next time we visit.

The way I look at it, going to WDW - for us - is a chance to escape the pressures of life for a few days and just relax and enjoy being a family. Why complain? Take it in stride, enjoy the vacation, and be happy about what goes right.

Also, reading these boards is a chance to think about past and future trips and share ideas with other Disney fans - not to get into an argument! For me - WDW is about putting the stress of life aside for a bit.

That said - I hope everyone has only the best WDW trips in the future!
    2006 - WL 2007 - WL
    2008 - WL 2009 - WL
    2010 - BC
    2010 (fall) - CBR
    2011 - DCL and FW Cabin
    2011 (fall) - WL
    2012 - BC (suprise upgrade to Club Level!)
    2013 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

I'll agree that WDW is not what it once was, but clumping the last ten years as bad, isn't right either.

I think the last five have show steady improvement. Before that, there was a lot of stuff that was being over looked, beaten up, etc. A lot of that has been corrected.

I didn't have a lot of time to really observe much my last trip, due to it being my first with two toddlers. I didn't notice anything glaringly terrible.....because I wasn't looking for it. Which is what I think is the new cool thing to do...and then post about it.

As I said before, we spent a lot of time in the new Fantasyland, since it was what the kids could ride the most in. They loved it. That's all that mattered to us in the end.
    WDW - 1977-86, 1989, 1993, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007(x3), 2008, 2009, 2013, 2014, 2016 (Oct.)
    DLR - 1989, 2007, 2010

Post Thanks / Like

To the OP: I think that if you went in looking for a new park with lots of exciting rides, then yes, it would definitely lead you to a path of epic disappointment.
    However, I do believe that the point to the expansion was not to thrill, but to allow more family attractions with the Disney spirit. I feel that they definitely delivered in that aspect.
    We were there in November and my daughters (both ten), loved, loved, loved the LM ride, the Belle story time (it definitely was better in my opinion then the old Belle story time - which we liked as well), and also Be Our Guest.
    Disney, without a doubt, brought the feel of Disney into that portion of the park. They did an absolutely fantastic job of taking you into the story... which, in my opinion is what make Disney like no other park I have ever visited.

To comment on the other stuff mentioned in this thread:

My first visit to Disney was in 1996. The castle was a big pink cake . Besides that awful choice; however, what I found at Disney was this magical place. The moment you walked into the park, the smells, the sounds, everything just submerged into make believe.
    We were there in November of 1996, Test Track was just in the works, Animal Kingdom had just been announced, no Soarin, no Toy Story Mania. My opinion, they have removed items that I LOVED (Hunchback of Notre Dame), but they have also added some great rides that we love.
    There are definitely difference, some better, some worse, but overall we really enjoy it.
    We will be back this week and we cannot wait.
    Lori Ann
    Mother of twin 9 year old girls
    Dixie Landings 11/96 (honeymoon)
    Dixie Landings/Cruise 12/2000
    CBR 11/2005
    Riverside - 9/2006,
    FQ - 11/2007, 9/2008, 9/2009
    CSR 5/2010, AKL 5/2010 (split stay)
    FQ 11/2010
    CSR 11/2011
    CBR 05/2012
    GF 06/2012
    CSR 11/2012

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzznwoodysmom View Post

There are actually two "trends" I've noticed here on Intercot over the past several months that IN MY OPINION are "getting old"...

One is that if you still find value in, or still enjoy trips to Disney you are somehow a mindless person who will follow anything Disney does, you are drinking the Disney koolaid, surely you have no idea what is a good value in a vacation........and it goes on....

The other "trend" is that if you don't like even the smallest thing Disney does then surely you are a "Debbie Downer", only see the negative in a situation, your a whiner or complainer, you go looking for something to complain about, and clearly don't know what your talking about.....

Each one is about as annoying as the other, in my opinion of course!
    Amen!

Look, INTERCOT brings together people who are fond of Disney World. So it's not surprising that people frequenting the boards are looking for some positive discussion. Otherwise our motto might be the Unofficial Website That Likes to Trash All Things Disney (well, that website might actually exist out there, but it's not INTERCOT!) But not everything is rosy with the Mouse and people should be able to give their honest opinion about things. It's all about balance and respect, IMO.

IMO, the old Fantasyland was never about flashy rides or attractions, more of a gentle place to entertain children and to help the rest of us recapture the child within. In that sense I think the New Fantasyland fits right in. But I do agree that other areas of Disney World could use a dose of creativity and excitement. It would be the best of both worlds.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

My wife and I love returning to Disney every year to do the same things. We keep most of our visits to the MK and Epcot. We know what we like, we do what we like and we head back to the resort to relax and enjoy all of the other amenities that are available.
    The new Fantasyland has been a great addition for families and that's wonderful. Anything that brings more enjoyment and wonder to the little ones at WDW is a good thing.
    My wife and I have never been big fans of Fantasyland, so we don't spend a lot of time there. We use our time to get more enjoyment out of rides like the Haunted Mansion, POC, Buzz Lightyear, the Carousel of Progress and the People Mover.
    I think it's great that the new Fantasyland is making so many people happy. That's what Disney is all about. There's magic everywhere you look and freedom of choice lets you do the things that make YOU happy.

Post Thanks / Like

Thought Fantasyland was beautiful...especially at night! I can't wait for the mine roller coaster to open!
    Love the fact that there are now 2 Dumbo rides which shortened the wait time....used to have to wait forever to get on before....in fact passed up riding it on several trips because of the wait....so that is a plus for us!
    I enjoyed the Little Mermaid ride...thought it was cute and I love the music from the movie. I can see the comparison to the Nemo ride however...but I like it too!
    We try to enjoy our trips to WDW and take everything in stride.
    Different strokes for different folks!
    Magic is everywhere if you know where to look!

Visiting Disneyland since 1969 & Walt Disney World since 1994!

Disney Fan since birth!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FriendsofMickey View Post
    My first visit to Disney was in 1996. The castle was a big pink cake .
    I am so very sorry. That pink cake was terrible!

...I guess the only one worse (or just as bad) was when Stitch vandalized the castle with graffiti and toilet paper!
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    Amen!

Look, INTERCOT brings together people who are fond of Disney World. So it's not surprising that people frequenting the boards are looking for some positive discussion. Otherwise our motto might be the Unofficial Website That Likes to Trash All Things Disney (well, that website might actually exist out there, but it's not INTERCOT!) But not everything is rosy with the Mouse and people should be able to give their honest opinion about things. It's all about balance and respect, IMO.
    Yes. Balance and respect would mean that you post your opinion, and let others post their opinions. There is no need to repeat and repost your opinion in reply to everyone who disagrees.

Anyway, call it fluff, style, theme, whatever. The fluff is what makes it Disney. When Fantasyland is finished, it will have an additional E and D ride, a great restaurant, and awesome fluff. I love it.
    First Trip ¨¨*:•
    Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground - June, 1974

Last Trip ¨¨*:•
    Port Orleans/Saratoga Springs - March, 2017

Next Trip ¨¨*:•
    Bay Lake Tower - March, 2018

And about 40 more in between....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    Belle's meet and greet is a waste of space... Great effects in the cottage only to be lost on story time...
    Really? Watch the faces on any of the kids in the room and it will tell a far different story then a waste of space. Every little girl in that room believed Belle was standing in front of them. The little boy in a wheelchair who we watched play the beast spent those 15 minutes or so smiling so hard he had a hard time growling. And his father who pushed him through the skit may have actually been smiling more broadly then his son.

Even my 6'2" police officer DH's face showed how big of a success it was when Belle asked for his arm as the suit of armor.

I really thought the Belle attraction did what disney was all about, took a classic "meet and greet" and turned it into an experience most kids (and many adults) will remember at the end of the day. I think Imagineers knocked that one out of the park.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

ºoº

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dulcee View Post
    I really thought the Belle attraction did what disney was all about, took a classic "meet and greet" and turned it into an experience most kids (and many adults) will remember at the end of the day. I think Imagineers knocked that one out of the park.
    Agreed! Very well done.

Post Thanks / Like

Really? Watch the faces on any of the kids in the room and it will tell a far different story then a waste of space. Every little girl in that room believed Belle was standing in front of them. The little boy in a wheelchair who we watched play the beast spent those 15 minutes or so smiling so hard he had a hard time growling. And his father who pushed him through the skit may have actually been smiling more broadly then his son.

Even my 6'2" police officer DH's face showed how big of a success it was when Belle asked for his arm as the suit of armor.

I agree with most of this. I applaud Disney for attempting something better when it comes to meet and greets. I wish there was more to the attraction after the incredible effects at the beginning, but I still think it's a good effort overall.
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

I apologize if this has been said already- I will admit I read the first page and last page and probably missed important stuff in between.

I like that the new Fantasyland provides additional square footage to spread the crowds out. In the past, Fantasyland has been so congested. So hopefully it will be less so on this year's and future visits. In my opinion, that was the intent of the expansion.

Post Thanks / Like

Um...I started reading this thread and decided to back away...slowly.
    Nice work, pal.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. I teared up when Belle greeted the kids and was so sweet to them. The little boy who got to dance with Belle was so excited. It isn't for everyone but it is very well done and it is air-conditioned.
    #runICOT rocks!
    6 years Disney running!
    14 5Ks
    13 10Ks
    16 Half Marathons
    5 Coast to Coast
    Just Finished: WDW 5K 10K
    Up Next: SW Light Side (Virtual Half) Dark Side (Half) Kessel Run Challenge

Post Thanks / Like

Hit it up this spring and overall it's Disney at its best. Really geared at the younger set but the area is themed well, looks cool at night, the carnival area is ok, the restaurant was really, really well done for an "in-park" dining option, but the kicker will be the Dwarf Coaster. If it is more BTMRR than Goofys Barnstormer that section is going to be packed!! Can you say fastpass....
    March 99 - POFQ
    Feb 04 - WL
    Feb 05 - POLY
    Nov 05 - CB
    Oct 06 - POLY
    Nov 07 - POLY/BC
    Nov 08 - BC
    Mar 10 - WL
    Nov 10 - POR-Riverside
    Apr 12 - POR-Riverside
    Mar 13 - POR
    Jan 14 - WL
    Nov 14 - POR-Riverside
    Mar 16 - POLY
    Aug 17 - POLY
    Aug 18 - BC

Post Thanks / Like

Default Belle for boys?

So this is more of an extension of this topic - than the original topic - but I have a related question.

I have all boys who usually choose to avoid princesses. However, I have a good friend who saw the Belle storytime and said we should try it anyway - she thought the boys would love it.

What are your thoughts as far as families with only boys? Worth the time?

Thanks!
    2006 - WL 2007 - WL
    2008 - WL 2009 - WL
    2010 - BC
    2010 (fall) - CBR
    2011 - DCL and FW Cabin
    2011 (fall) - WL
    2012 - BC (suprise upgrade to Club Level!)
    2013 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

For me, this really is a half-full/half-empty analogy. I can see how some are less enthused about the expansion. After all, for all the hype and money, they've only added one ride (soon to be two), using existing technology, nothing breakthrough or exemplary. They've also added one attraction, plussed another existing ride (Dumbo), added a food place and some shopping. Not much if that's how you look at it.

But that's not how I see it. For me, it's as if Disney is flexing its financial muscle. If another (lesser park) was going to add the same attractions, shop, and eatery, they'd use one-quarter of the real estate, stack everything together tightly, and have them all surrounded with asphalt.

I view it as: when Disney wants to add a few attractions, Disney goes all out. They built, not one but two castles, added FIVE water areas, streams and falls, built an adorable fountain, added walking bridges, and made an elaborate setting with great theming and effects for a counter-service/table service restaurant.

My analogy is like playing Rollercoaster Tycoon. When you first start out and have limited funds, you just try to get money rolling in without getting fancy. You put in the basics without adding scenery. But, later in the challenge as the coffers become full, you get to be much more creative. You build the park you wanted to build. Disney only added an omni ride, plussed Dumbo, added a child's show (with a great effect), added some shops and restaurant, but did it all with such aplomb it's hard not to praise them. And when the new ride opens, it will only be better.

I can't wait to see the completed project.
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness