Quantcast Disney Admits: Only Magic Kingdom is a Premium Park

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Disney Admits: Only Magic Kingdom is a Premium Park

Based on the disparity in one-day ticket prices between the Magic Kingdom and Epcot, Studios, and Animal Kingdom, it seems that Disney is finally admitting that only Magic Kingdom is a premium destination. The others are also-rans, unworthy of top dollar. Certainly, this message is not Disney's intention, but it is my cynical take-away.
    2014: BC; 2013: CS; 2012: POR, Dolphin; 2011: Hilton, Dolphin; 2010: POFQ, CSR; 2009: POFQ; 2008: HoJo DL, Royal Plaza; 2007: Saratoga; 2006: POP, BV, CSR; 2005: AS-Mu, Off-site, POFQ; 2004: POFQ, AS-Mo; 2003: CSR, AS-Mo, Royal Plaza; 2002: AS-Mu; AS-Mu, CBR, Off-site; 2001: WL; 2000: Landings/Magic

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BhamWriter View Post
    Certainly, this message is not Disney's intention, but it is my cynical take-away.
    What they're trying to hit is the fact that while many people visit WDW and do it all, a large number come just for the quintessential disney effect that is the MK. Increase those tickets by $5 at a couple million guests a year and your talking a fairly significant boost in revenue.

To say its the only "premium" park is, I feel, very cynical. Personally I'd rather spend a full day in AK or Epcot to the MK...
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

ºoº

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

I much prefer a day at EPCOT or AK myself. I do love MK, but generally only when I'm with my sons. And mainly because I love to see it through their eyes. But when I go alone, I generally end up at EPCOT.
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

I think cynical sums it up nicely.

I wouldn't think a $5 difference in the ticket price would make me consider EP, AK & DHS "also rans," but rather that Disney is (finally) understanding that with the difference in numbers of visitors per year they can ask for a bit more for MK and not worry about losing visitors. If people aren't willing to ante up and extra $5 for a day ticket to MK, then they have 3 other parks they can visit. And with the opening of the FLE, this could keep crowds just the tiniest bit smaller. (Highly unlikely, but possible.)

BUT, in the scheme of things, who does this really effect? Cruise ship visitors who only have 12 hours in port? Local day trippers? Most visitors are 1) there for 4+ days and will have a MYW (Magic Your Way) pass, 2) an AP (Annual Passholder) visitor, 3) an FRP (Florida Resident Passholder) visitor.

Basic economics here -- the higher the demand, the higher the price.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

I really don't think that it is because Disney thinks of MK as a "premium" park, but rather that it is highest traffic park. More bodies at 5 bucks a head equals more money for them.
    Although we always spend at least one day at the MK, as our grandkids are now 15 & 18, EPCOT is the family favorite with the most days spent there.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

It is the most popular and therefore the "premium" park. It is the one must do park for probably at least over 90% of guests. The last two trips, we didn't even step foot in Animal Kingdom and the last trip we skipped Hollywood Studios. We always go to Magic Kingdom and usually go to Epcot but if we aren't going to do all the parks, it is usually a coin toss between Hollywood Studios and Epcot.

To be honest, at this point I couldn't care less if I ever go to Animal Kingdom again. If the tickets weren't sold in packages where you could go to all/any of the parks but instead you had to purchase specific tickets for each park; I would bet they would have a hard time selling Animal Kingdom tickets for $20 per day.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1DisneyNut View Post

To be honest, at this point I couldn't care less if I ever go to Animal Kingdom again.
    I know this gets said again and again on these boards but I will never understand the AK hate..
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

ºoº

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

Nope, just the most popular by far.

PS. We LOVE AK!
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dulcee View Post
    I know this gets said again and again on these boards but I will never understand the AK hate..
    Me either. It's grown on me so much through the years. It's a true 'theme' park.

Honestly, Epcot is still my premium destination in Florida, but I can somewhat understand the MK price increase.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a question.

Is there anyone on these boards that even buys a 1 day/1 park pass?

I'd be interested in hearing their opinion.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    Here's a question.

Not on these boards, I wouldn't think. We're pretty much all Disney geeks who either have APs, or do yearly weekly vacations with MYW passes or military salute tickets. We are definitely not the folks Disney intended this price increase for.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a question. Is there anyone on these boards that even buys a 1 day/1 park pass?
    Not me...

BUT, last January I had a work event at WDW that allowed us (wife and 16-month old) to spend one day in a park. You can guess which one we chose (as we cringed at the ridiculous per-day cost compared to our usual five- or six-day tickets). So there's an example of how we don't usually do it but it can certainly play out even for the Intercot population.

And having to pay a few more bucks for MK wouldn't have changed my mind at all.
    "You used all the glue on purpose!"

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a question.

Let me preface this by saying I basically was at Disney right after I was born, and most every year since then. My dad was there on opening day at MK. So we are huge Disney fans and go alot. But lately, we have been doing the 1 park 1 day ticket. I used to buy the 10 day non-expiration park hoppers, but lately, its a big investment for us on the front end (even though I know it saves a ton of money. I'm looking into purchasing these again sometime in the near future). We don't live in FL, and we aren't eligible for military discounts, etc. I've thought about AP, and at some point we may do that option. For us, we enjoy being able to go 3 times a year, and usually just do 1 day at the parks, plus usually go around one of the party dates in Sept and Dec to get in MK as well, and the rest of the time just chill at the hotel and enjoy DD and the other resorts. Epcot is by far our favorite, but AK is a close second.

It may not make sense to other people, but its what we enjoy doing. I'd rather go 3 times a year, then one big long trip.
    1980-2001 CR;CBR 2001 AKL 2002 AKL 2003 AKL 2004 AKL; CB; AKL 2007 WL 2008 AKL 9/09 AKL Jambo 12/10 AKL Kidani 9/11 AKL Kidani 9/12 AKL 12/12 AKL 5/13 AKL 12/13 SS 9/14 BLT 12/14 SS 2/15 Aulani DVC 7/15 CBR 10/15 Yacht Club 12/16 DS 7/17 Aulani 01/19 POR 08/19 Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

And, I forgot to mention I have 2 toddlers, so they are just as happy riding the bus around(my son is obsessed with the "Mickey bus") and riding the monorail than actually going to the parks. So for now, where we are in our lives, the 1 day 1 park pass is plenty of time for us in the parks. Im quite sure when my kids are older, we will look into the AP or 10 day park hoppers again.
    1980-2001 CR;CBR 2001 AKL 2002 AKL 2003 AKL 2004 AKL; CB; AKL 2007 WL 2008 AKL 9/09 AKL Jambo 12/10 AKL Kidani 9/11 AKL Kidani 9/12 AKL 12/12 AKL 5/13 AKL 12/13 SS 9/14 BLT 12/14 SS 2/15 Aulani DVC 7/15 CBR 10/15 Yacht Club 12/16 DS 7/17 Aulani 01/19 POR 08/19 Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

I will say, before I had children I did not understand the love of AK and really over looked many great things.
    Now it has really grown on me and my sons [ages 5 and 6], have really made me see it in a new light. I LOVE it now! And would spend the day there alone.
    There is really a lot to do there if you really plan it out and investigate.
    Here's a question.

I know we don't. We are FL residents and do the APs. Typically only when family comes in from out of state or over seas, they buy a 1 day ticket to go with us.
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't get it either. It's not intended to be a thrill park but a park showing the animals. You go for what it is and its great.

Disney is not saying MK is the only premium park. It's just the highest demand because that's where the families with smaller kids go. For us Epcot is our premium park.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Well ... I've purchased 1-day one park tickets in the past. You can always upgrade them to an annual pass while in the park that day and the price you pay for the one day park ticket is applied to the price of the annual pass.

The multiple times that I have done this in the past were based on the "spur of the moment decision" to visit WDW with my cousins. The decision really depended upon whether we wanted to split our theme park visits between Disney and the "other Orlando" area attractions or not.

Believe it or not, actually right now, for the first time in nearly 20 years I am not holding a current Disney World ticket (of any length) - I'm planning to vacation in Texas this year (1st time since 1997). Best of all, I'm planning to be in Japan next year. YAY!!! Say it with me ... Tokyo Disneyland & Disney Sea

So if I found myself in my "home state away from home" right now, it would make sense for me to visit just a day or two. Epcot is my hands down favorite though, so I'd give that priority.

P.S. - I am also a big fan of Animal Kingdom - as long as it is not 100 degrees F and 100% humidity outside; it can be a very hot park to endure in July & August.
    Journey into your...Lego® Imagination Center
    If you can dream it...you can build it!

Still journeying & dreaming for over 30 years now to new vacation destinations & WDW.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PopPhan View Post
    I think cynical sums it up nicely.

I wouldn't think a $5 difference in the ticket price would make me consider EP, AK & DHS "also rans," but rather that Disney is (finally) understanding that with the difference in numbers of visitors per year they can ask for a bit more for MK and not worry about losing visitors. If people aren't willing to ante up and extra $5 for a day ticket to MK, then they have 3 other parks they can visit. And with the opening of the FLE, this could keep crowds just the tiniest bit smaller. (Highly unlikely, but possible.)

BUT, in the scheme of things, who does this really effect? Cruise ship visitors who only have 12 hours in port? Local day trippers? Most visitors are 1) there for 4+ days and will have a MYW (Magic Your Way) pass, 2) an AP (Annual Passholder) visitor, 3) an FRP (Florida Resident Passholder) visitor.

Basic economics here -- the higher the demand, the higher the price.
    I agree, but think this may effect more people than we realize. People who want a Disney vacation will certainly buy the MYW tickets, and likely stay at a Disney resort. But there are lots of visitors to Orlando that stay off site and visit the other area Theme parks. These people may only have one day in their schedule for Disney. And that means a trip to MK.
    So Disney is not doing anything wrong by capturing those few extra dollars. Nor are they saying the other parks are less attractive. All they are saying is that if you are only going to spend one day in WDW and just going to MK, it's gonna cost a few buck more.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand it either. AK has some of the best theme-ing in WDW. And I still hear/see people say "We are only there for a couple of hours then leave". It seems that some people only go on a couple of rides and skip everything else, they are totally missing the point of the park. I guess for me, and other guests who like to go on the animal trails, this is a good thing. They are never crowded, my husband and I always have pleasant walks and see lots of animals, (I love tigers!).

I spend most of my time at Epcot and AK. I do go to MK for a little bit, but often times skip DHS.

Post Thanks / Like

I get why disney is raing the Mk price and it by far my favorite park. For me it is Disney and I go everyday I am at Disney World.

As for AK - It is a few hour park for me, but mostly becuase I go in August and I feel that park is 10-20 degrees hotter than anywhere else. We have gone when it was so hot they gave away water bottles to everyone on the paths. They made you take it for fear of people having heat stroke. I love the themeing and the feel of the park but in August it just feels like a giant sponge infested with every biting insect on the planet.
    DHS- If it wasn't for TSM and ToT I would not even go. This park has no flow and I don't like to even just walk around and soak in the sights. It needs a lot of love IMHO.
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Cruise Disney Wonder 2006
    Wilderness Lodge, 04, 06, 08, 10
    Allstar Movies 02
    Allstar Sports 96. 98, 00
    Offsite 2015 x2, 90,89, 85

Share This Thread On Social Media: