Quantcast Yet another Magic Band question: Safety issues

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yet another Magic Band question: Safety issues

If there is a thread already, please kindly direct me. I'm curious as to safety ramifications for the magic bands. So theoretically, anyone with a "RFID" reader could scan your band from a distance, and then do what? Get into your hotel room and steal all your stuff?

I'm very curious as to what are your thoughts on safety and privacy. And how closely do you think Disney will be monitoring potential hackers?

Thanks
    1980-2001 CR;CBR 2001 AKL 2002 AKL 2003 AKL 2004 AKL; CB; AKL 2007 WL 2008 AKL 9/09 AKL Jambo 12/10 AKL Kidani 9/11 AKL Kidani 9/12 AKL 12/12 AKL 5/13 AKL 12/13 SS 9/14 BLT 12/14 SS 2/15 Aulani DVC 7/15 CBR 10/15 Yacht Club 12/16 DS 7/17 Aulani 01/19 POR 08/19 Yacht Club

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lawgirl View Post
    If there is a thread already, please kindly direct me. I'm curious as to safety ramifications for the magic bands. So theoretically, anyone with a "RFID" reader could scan your band from a distance, and then do what? Get into your hotel room and steal all your stuff?

I'm very curious as to what are your thoughts on safety and privacy. And how closely do you think Disney will be monitoring potential hackers?

Thanks
    This has been discussed many times.
    First, these are very near field and have to be almost touched to be read.

Two, the only thing on the band is an encoded number that identifies the band to the Disney servers. There is no information stored on the band. The communication is essentially encoded number to server and an authorization for the transaction back to the reader not the band. No personal information is exchanged. To get any info on you they'd have to hack Disney servers.

Three, to enter your room they'd have to know which room is yours and there is nothing on the band to tell anyone that.

Four, all monetary transactions require a pin that you enter secretly at checkin.

So, no security issues with the bands.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info! I am not too worried about it, but really appreciate your info.
    1980-2001 CR;CBR 2001 AKL 2002 AKL 2003 AKL 2004 AKL; CB; AKL 2007 WL 2008 AKL 9/09 AKL Jambo 12/10 AKL Kidani 9/11 AKL Kidani 9/12 AKL 12/12 AKL 5/13 AKL 12/13 SS 9/14 BLT 12/14 SS 2/15 Aulani DVC 7/15 CBR 10/15 Yacht Club 12/16 DS 7/17 Aulani 01/19 POR 08/19 Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post
    First, these are very near field and have to be almost touched to be read.
    We found this last week when we were there to get them to light up the mating scanners for the gates and attractions and POS systems, and such ........ HOWEVER........

The literature and the user agreemenet that came with them said specifically that LONG RANGE scanners in the parks can access them also. That fact was very clear in the wording, and was clearly part of the overall mission of implementing them. They mentioned that if you did not want long rang scanning, you could opt for the old key cards that ONLY were short range.

SO....... maybe it is not as simple as it seems.

best,

..................john

Post Thanks / Like

I heard the long range readers only pick up location for crowd control, short range is needed for any type of transaction.
    Sep '15 - VWL/3 night Cruise on Dream
    Jan '15 - BLT and Vero Beach
    Jan '14 - Disneyland Hotel
    Sept '13 - AKL
    Jun '13 - Pop Century
    Dec '12 - Saratoga Springs
    Feb '12 - Port Orleans FQ
    '10 - AS Music
    '08 - Pop Century
    '05 - Contemporary
    '03 - Carribean Beach
    '96 - offsite
    '95 - offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Butters View Post
    I heard the long range readers only pick up location for crowd control, short range is needed for any type of transaction.
    Not just for crowd control... But also to know where Butters is at all times... And yes, Disney will now know when Butters walked into the Emporium, how long Butters was in Emporium, what section of the store Butters spent the most time looking in... The data base they create on Butters will determine if Butters is an asset to Disney or a liability (meaning, they are not making enough money off you) and this information will be used to either help to make your vacation better (if you are a big spender you'll get a ton of perks) or not (if not your trips won't be as magical)...

This isn't a bash on Disney, per se... But this is the future of WDW... They no longer are in the Guest Satisfaction business... You are a product, a product they desire to squeeze dry... And if you don't play their game, well...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I understood that as of TODAY you can no longer get the card...everything will be Magic Band, isn't that correct?

Also, I think I'm spending pretty big with a Disney Vacation @ four digits...the rest is just icing on the cake
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Mode View Post
    I understood that as of TODAY you can no longer get the card...everything will be Magic Band, isn't that correct?

Also, I think I'm spending pretty big with a Disney Vacation @ four digits...the rest is just icing on the cake
    I read on the Disney site that there is a non-RFID card in addition to the band for those concerned with privacy issues. Also, something to do with pacemakers and similar.

And yes, at 4 figures every year, sometimes twice, over the past 30 years, I'd say we've spent pretty big with Disney. I know they are a business, and have to make profit, but I hope it doesn't diminish my trip.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Mode View Post

From the Disney site:
    "Guests participating in MyMagic+ always have the option to use a card instead of a MagicBand. Guests can also choose whether to use their RF Device to make purchases at select Resort locations."

Post Thanks / Like

RFID could easily be compromised but the likelyhood at WDW considering all the surveillance it is unlikely. A would be criminal that would do RFID cloning will realize the likelyhood of getting away with it at WDW is slim. Tech savvy teenagers that could easily do it aren't sitting around with idle time to get bored at WDW so that shouldn't be an issue either.

There will be optional cards available for those who either can't for medical reasons or do not wish to use the bands.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lawgirl View Post
    I read on the Disney site that there is a non-RFID card in addition to the band for those concerned with privacy issues. Also, something to do with pacemakers and similar.
    The card DOES contain an RFID chip.
    But, it does not contain the battery-powered RFID long-range transmitter that's in the MagicBands.

These cards do not affect pacemakers and the like, as they don't transmit RFID.
    The chip only activates when placed within a specific RF field
    (which at WDW means touching the card to a Mickey Head sensor.)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: