Quantcast No More Elephant Chasing on Safaris? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MickeysBestPal View Post
    Different union.
    Different rules.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MickeysBestPal View Post
    Different union.
    Different rules.

Hilarious! Well said. Makes me think of the old Warner Bros. cartoon with the coyote and the sheep dog that would punch in at the clock in the morning, spend the day practically killing each other, then the whistle would blow and they'd punch out, wish each other a good evening and head home.
    EJ in Houston

3-16 -- Port Orleans Riverside
    11-12 -- Pop Century
    11-11 -- Animal Kingdom Lodge
    11-09 -- All-Star Sports
    11-07 -- All-Star Sports
    11-05 -- All-Star Sports
    09-95 -- Off Property
    3 prior visits as a child beginning in '72 -- Polynesian/Contemporary Resorts

Post Thanks / Like

A bit off topic, but when we were there last summer a CM rode in our truck, ticking off all the animals that we saw. She told us about the scrapping of the Little Red storyline, explained about the zebra area, and said they were counting the animal sightings to improve the animal encounter aspect of the ride. She was very informative.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    I know they were moved off the safari main savanas, I remember seeing them way off in the distance across the ody of water on the far left of the bridge that used to shake when you went over it (I assume they haven't fixed that either, right?).
    I know that bridge worked perfectly when we were there about 3 months ago. It seems like sometimes they include it as part of the storyline, and sometimes they don't.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ThanxForNoticin View Post
    I know that bridge worked perfectly when we were there about 3 months ago. It seems like sometimes they include it as part of the storyline, and sometimes they don't.
    Wow, can't remember the last time I had it work, probably like 2007 or so. Haven't been in a number of years. Maybe the script has changed, the lead up was always the same, but depending on if it worked or not, they changed it up after the bridge (CMs know based on the light clue on the bridge before they even get over).

RIP Wilson

Post Thanks / Like

The bridge didnt work the last four times we were there...
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

We take the safari to see the animals - so the Little Red wasn't essential to our enjoyment.

But the CM drivers are. We have had some exceptional ones who explain about the animals and provide insight on the species and their habits. Other drivers leave you distinctly with the feeling that they are late for their coffee break (You know; flying through the Safari faster than light speed - no interaction at all).

Still one of our must sees . . .
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EeyoresBestFriend View Post
    But the CM drivers are. We have had some exceptional ones who explain about the animals and provide insight on the species and their habits. Other drivers leave you distinctly with the feeling that they are late for their coffee break (You know; flying through the Safari faster than light speed - no interaction at all).
    Absolutely true. Much like Jungle Cruise, the driver can make or break the experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Im gonna miss "Simba One come in Simba One!" This was one of those minor quirky Disney things that I enjoy and miss when it's gone.
    Rob
    2/90 - Fort Wilderness Cabin
    2/92, 94, 98 - Beach Club
    2/96 - Dixie Landings
    2/99, 00 - All Star Sports
    5/05 - Pop Century
    5/07 - Coronado Springs
    8/08 - Beach Club Villas
    4/10 - Wilderness Lodge Villas
    8/12 - Disneyland (offsite)
    11/13 - Beach Club Villas

DVC Member

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bruin1344 View Post
    Im gonna miss "Simba One come in Simba One!" This was one of those minor quirky Disney things that I enjoy and miss when it's gone.
    We miss the line:

"Nobody calls them Thompson's Gazelles! They're tommies. TOMMIES!!"
    Soarin' to Tower

Next Trips: 2017 The other half has allowed me back!
    Offsite 1998, 2004, 2015 (Universal)
    AKL 2001, 2003, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2013
    Beach Club 2008
    Yacht Club 2010, 2011, 2012
    DLR California 2004, 2014
    DLR Paris 2006, 2008, 2010
    DLR HK 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    I tend to agree... The shooting jeep that raced by the side of the ride vehicle worked great for a year or two, then it was hit or miss, you heard gun shots in the bushes, and then nothing.

It's odd that the zebras at AKL don't seem to fight each other but those at AK do? I know they were moved off the safari main savanas, I remember seeing them way off in the distance across the ody of water on the far left of the bridge that used to shake when you went over it (I assume they haven't fixed that either, right?).

Sad how much stuff is broken and isn't even bothered to be repaired... So much bad show at WDW it's amazing...
    For the first time in 4-5 years the bridge was actually working! It scared my brother so bad because he had not encountered ever working, he thought we were really going to die haha

Howell, MI (Detroit) - 1176 miles from the Wilderness Lodge
    Post Thanks / Like

The bridge was working for us back on our trip in March in this year. It scared my young son as he thought the bridge was going to collapse. I had to reassure him it was part of the experience.

As for Little Red, I too don't miss it only because I saw the decline in that story from 1998 to the present. Each time we went through something would be missing to the point where it seemed like an afterthought to me, so when it was gone, I didn't miss it (I miss the original version, not the shell of it at the end).
    Up Next:
    1/2016 - VGC - Disneyland

1996 - Off Site
    1998 - Off Site
    1999 - FW Cabins
    2000 - ASM
    2000 - FW Cabins
    2001 - ASM
    2002 - Wilderness Lodge & Fairy Tale Wedding
    2004 - ASMu
    2006 - VWL
    2007 - CSR
    2008 - SSR
    2009 - VWL
    2011 - POR & BWV
    2013 - AKL - Kidani
    2015 - Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

The bridge is working, again? Awesome! My kids used to get so excited with anticipation when we got close. They've been so disappointed in recent years (and they're not really "kids", anymore).

The original story line of this attraction was so fun. It was one of our favorites.
    Nice work, pal.

Post Thanks / Like

Just rode the Safari last Friday. The bridge was not working either time we rode it. Also in regards to the Zebra area, we did see 3 Zebras out running around. They have put up canvas covering around where you would see the cheetahs and the lions so you can see very little of either area. When we asked what it was for , they said it was marking the zebra area to get them used to where they are allowed to go.

Post Thanks / Like

I knew the story was gone, but as we rode it last Feb. i couldn't help but think of how much my son would have l iked that part.
    I also really dont' remember seeing any zebra's. I was looking out for them too.
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

Our family was one that didn't care for the Little Red story. We really just wanted to see the animals. I also think it had a lot to do with your safari guide. If they didn't get into the part, and merely read their lines, it made the whole thing even worse.
    Karen

"It's snowing still," said Eeyore gloomily.
    "So it is."
    "And freezing."
    "Is it?"
    "Yes," said Eeyore. "However," he said, brightening up a little, "we haven't had an earthquake lately."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by big blue and hairy View Post
    Sounds like the lines for buses a park close....

Or the gate area before the ropes drop.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Little Red

I am so very glad to lose the Little Red story line. There'a a place for plastic elephants. It's called the Jungle Cruise at MK.

Post Thanks / Like

honestly, I do not miss the gunfire. It always made me nervous. I guess I'm jumpy that way. I always hated that part. I really don't see fun in gunfire, it's not my style.

I love the safari, my favorite ride ever.
    Sometimes you'll be Sleepy, Bashful, SNEEZY, Dopey and maybe even Grumpy; but I hope you are always HAPPY at the end of the day.

Annual Pass Holder
    AKL-10th Wed Ann Sept 08
    Offsite: Mar 09 Mar 08 Mar 07 Mar 06 Mar 04, Sept 03 Mar 02 Nov 00
    ASM Mar 05
    Magic Music Days Performer May 89

Post Thanks / Like

I have to admit I liked the "little Red" story the first couple of times I rode it, then it kinds lost me and seemed to waste valuable time we could be seeing more animals. When I ride it now, I am perfectly content not having that story. I do love being immersed in WDW's stories for rides but this one just did not do it for me. Give me the animals!!
    Off site Jan '92
    AS Music April '97, Dec '98
    AS Movies Oct 2000, Jan 03, Jan 05, Jan 06
    Pop Aug 06, Pop Jan 07
    Pop Aug 07, Pop Aug 08
    Pop Aug 09, Pop Aug 10
    Pop Aug 11, Pop Aug '12, AoA Aug '13
    Pop Dec '13 Aug '14, Jan '15, Aug '15

Next Trip: Pop Aug '16

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: