Quantcast Just back from Destin, Florida

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just back from Destin, Florida

We got back for our little weekend getaway to Destin, Florida last night. This was our "kick off the summer" trip. We stayed at the Pelican Beach Resort for 3 nights along with SIL and her family.

Thursday.
    DH had a last minute meeting at 8am Thursday morning, so instead of leaving at our scheduled time (6am) we did not get on the road till after 11am. Life always seems to get in the way.....LOL.

We arrived in Destin around 5pm. After getting settled in the room we headed out to dinner with SIL and her family. Dinner was at AJ's. It's right on the water and the food was wonderful. So much seafood! After dinner we strolled the Destin Harbor shopping area. We stopped to listen to some performers, the kids did the trampoline jump thingy, we watched the fireworks, then headed back to our room.

Back at the room we went to the beach and let the kids run around with flashlights for a while. Then it was up to the room for the night.

Friday.
    We had breakfast in the room then we headed to a little shop to get snorkel equipment. We drove to a place SIL had gone snorkeling last summer. I believe it's called shell island, but I could be wrong. We spent the entire morning snorkeling and playing in the water. It was much calmer here than at the beach at our hotel.

On the way back to the room we made another stop to pick up boogie boards. We had lunch in the room, then headed to the beach for the rest of the day. The boys had a blast on the boogie boards. The water was so rough tho. I tried to go in with a float, but you couldn't walk or stand, much less float. The water was tossing us around like leaves in the wind. Landon got tangled up in a jelly fish. Poor kid had whelps all up and down his arms. He had to literally unwrap it from around his arms. He swore he would never go into the water again.

After several hours "fighting" the crashing waves we decided it was pool time. We spent a few hours at the pool before all deciding on a dinner location. After a quick change back in the room we headed out to Hog's Breath. The food here was just OK, not sure why we picked this place. LOL.

The kids had been asking about Lazer Tag, so after dinner we went to a Lazer Tag place. So much fun. Then it was off to the Track. We first did the big wooden track. This track is way longer than the go carts we have here at home, so the kids loved it. Then we took the two smaller kids to a track they could drive on. We did bumper cars, let the boys go to the arcade, then called it a night.

The three boys were begging for a Henna Tattoo so on the way back to the room we stopped and let them get each one. Those things aren't cheap. I almost died when I went to pay for them and was told the total for my two boys was $45. What the heck!!!!!!!!

Saturday.
    DH had lost his sunglasses in the water yesterday so we headed to the outlet mall. He got a new pair at the Oakley store I think. Then we went to Fossil where he got two new watches. Happy Birthday and Father's Day dear! LOL. We also went to the Disney Store. Gotta have some Disney in our vacation.

The rest of the day was spent at the beach. The water was much calmer today, but still a red flag, and still large enough waves that the boys had a blast on their boogie boards.

Dinner tonight was left up to the boys. Landon wanted us to drive the 6 or so hours to Ohana's. LOL. He kept saying "but we are half way there". They settled on Hard Rock Café. After dinner we strolled around the little shopping area the restaurant was in. It was a very cute place. Lots of lights in the trees, cobblestone walkways, and fountains here and there. We stopped at a candy making store for an after dinner snack before heading out.

Back at the room we packed up a few things, and took the kids to play on the beach with their flashlights one last time before bedtime.

Sunday.
    After getting up and dressed we went down to the beach early to get some family pics. Today there was a yellow flag out and the water was calm and gorgeous. Of course it would be this way on our way out! After we got some good pics we packed up the car and headed out.

We drove to the little beach towns of Seaside and Watercolor. Oh my gosh, Seaside is a place I'd want to live! We have already talked about a weekend there next summer. We had lunch at one of the many outdoor cafes. We walked around the area and decided this will be our future beach location. It's so small, and charming, and quaint. Like it's been plucked out of a book or movie. Actually the movie "The Truman Show" was filmed here.

Then we made the 5-6 hour drive home and were back with just enough time to drop the luggage, change, and make it to 7pm mass.

We had a great time. It was great to slow down and enjoy being lazy for a weekend. There are a few things we planned to do, but just didn't get around to. We planned to rent a pontoon boat one day, and Landon wanted to parasail. We never found time to do the pontoon boat, and Landon decided he didn't want to parasail after all. Honestly, I think it was probably too windy anyway. We didn't see anyone parasailing until the day we left. All in all a great weekend, and a great way to kick off our summer. Can't wait till next year to go back to Seaside!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds so fun! The beaches in that area are beautiful. Sorry about the rough waters, but apparently you all had a great time anyway.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I love the Destin area! It has become my favorite non-Disney vacation spot.
    It's not easy being green....

Post Thanks / Like

Oh no! Terrible jellyfish experience!

The rest sounds so lovely!

Thank you for sharing!
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

We visited the pan-handle during spring break for the first time. I thought it was gorgeous! I would love to make it to Destin next time. Thanks for the report.
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

AJ's is a hoot. Friendly, loud, good seafoood.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: