Quantcast Wow! Article of line skipping

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Wow! Article of line skipping

I just read an article that if I were one of those individuals who actually has a disability and needs extra accomidations at the parks I would be very upset. The article is titled "Moms pay $1,000-a-day to hire disabled members to skip lines at Disney" This is from a majoy news website and talks about this is how the 1% does Disney...It makes those who truelly need the help face that many more problems. I do not blame Disney for this at all for I know they can't do much about it. It just is so un-ethical.
    2008 Oct-POR & BC
    2009 Oct- CS
    2009 Dec- AKL & CRB
    2010 April - Dolphin
    2010 Oct- BWI
    2011 April - POR
    2011 Oct - AKL
    2012 April - Poly
    2012 Oct - AKL & YC
    2013 April - WL
    2013 Oct - AKL
    2014 Jan - CS
    2014 April - YC & POR
    2014 Oct - WL & YC
    2014 Dec - PORFQ
    2015 April - BC

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a parent of a child that needs the GAC and am shocked that someone would do this! I wish my son didn't need the GAC, but he does and we're grateful for the benefit that it provides. Without it, we wouldn't be able to go as often and our trips wouldn't be nearly as enjoyable.

I would think that, if you could pay that kind of money, you would just hire one of those private tour groups to take you around.

Disgusting!
    Jodi

Many, many trips as a kid with family
    Last trip: November 2013
    Next trip: June 2014 - Just me and my son!

Post Thanks / Like

I read this article too and was super upset by it. Especially as a special needs mom
    DVC MEMBER since 2009
    CS- Oct.2006 *Honeymoon*
    ASM- Sept. 2009 BLT- Nov. 2010
    WLV- Oct. 2012 SSR- July 2013
    BLT- Jan. 2014 WLV- Nov. 2015
    SSR- Mar. 2016 OKW- Oct. 2017
    SSR- Apr. 2018 BC- May. 2018
    BC- Aug. 2018 BLT Dec. 2018

Post Thanks / Like

The major news site is NY Post and Fox News, which both cast some doubt on veracity. But if it is true, I think the people using the service as a perk are beyond stupid. If you have a loved one who needs a scooter or if you need a scooter, of course you're going to use it but it's not the ideal. Getting through crowded parks on a scooter or with someone on a scooter can't be easy or quick. I think it's (actually needing a scooter) one of those situations where you do what you have to do, but there are tradeoffs to perceived perks.

If you have money and want an advantage at Disney World, why not hire a guide through WDW? It's $310 and up an hour and you get VIP access with your enormous extra cost. But hey, if you can afford it... If you just wanted an edge and you think hiring a guide on a scooter is the way to do it, you could save some money and just rent a scooter yourself. Which I think is terrible if not needed, and I'm certainly not recommending it but-- why shell out big bucks for a tour guide on a scooter simply to gain an advantage? That's insensitive, rude, and again, really shows a lack of knowledge of WDW. This is not how the 1 % does Disney. This is how a few clueless insensitive individuals supposedly went to Disney.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    If you have money and want an advantage at Disney World, why not hire a guide through WDW? It's $310 and up an hour and you get VIP access with your enormous extra cost.
    I agree, there is no need to abuse the GAC system, if you were truly in the 1%, you would pay for VIP treatment.

This scooter tour guide thing is messed up.
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

Since when does a scooter give anyone an advantage in Disney Park lines?
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Doesn't.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Exactly. My Mother uses a wheelchair (handled the same way as a scooter at WDW) and she doesn't get to "cut the line" for over 95% of the rides. In some cases, my Mom as had to wait longer that people in the regular line waiting for the car which is able to accommodate her chair (it is difficult for her to transfer). On the other rides, she is in line with everyone else.
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

I heard this on the radio and this is terrible. As if people with special needs (and their families) aren't judged enough. I have a child with special needs, and though I have never had to use GAC, I am glad Disney offers this to make people's lives easier. If someone abuses it well what can you do. Those that need it should not have to be made to feel bad that they are using it for what it is meant for!
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

I posted that this was happening in a trip report a year and a half ago. I caught some heat from people saying that they had a family member needed a GAC.

I just thought it was sickening to see the same family a few times throughout the day cutting the line with the use of a scooter. I wouldn't have even noticed if the same person used the scooter the whole day instead of family members taking turns.

When I read the article I thought - If this person has enough money to hire a "guide", why don't they find a child that actually needs a GAC and take him/her and their family on vacation? The $130/hour they were paying for the "guide" could add up to a nice vacation for someone in the 99% that could really use it. That way, rather than beating the system they would be doing some good in the world.

Apparently one of the things money can't buy is common decency.
    Michael
    You ain't never had a friend like me!

DVC Owner - AKL

Post Thanks / Like

Let me clarify some details here.

First of all, the fact that a guest is in a wheelchair or scooter does not (in most cases) give that guest any special access to the attraction. Most queues are wheelchair accessible, and those guests wait in line along with everyone else.

However, guests who receive a Guest Assistance Card (GAC) from Guest Relations are often given special access whether they are in a wheelchair/scooter or not. The guest may have a disability that renders him/her unable to wait in lines that are long or unshaded. The cards are stamped by Guest Relations with symbols that tell CMs what kind of access is to be given to the guest. The stamped symbol will often indicate that the guest and his/her party are to be admitted to the Fast Pass queue or sometimes a side entrance.

So the potential for abuse is with the GAC, not the wheelchair. And unfortunately the abuse is widespread. We see it every day.
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Expedition: Everest
    Kali River Rapids

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WDWdriver View Post
    So the potential for abuse is with the GAC, not the wheelchair. And unfortunately the abuse is widespread. We see it every day.
    Yes, it is. Unfortunately there are CMs who tell their friends how to go get GACs when there is no need, just so they won't have to wait in line. I know this for a fact. I think it's ridiculous that more isn't done to verify these things.

Post Thanks / Like

Deleted...lol

Apparently there is another tour group with a similar name in florida that appears to be a scam. So nevermind
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

i just hope that this does not make it harder for families that really need to go to the front of the line, but I fear it will.
    K. White

The magic is within all of us!

WDW Off Site 1978, 1981, 1986, 2005, 2006
    Disneyland- 1980, 1984, 1987
    WL- 6/2008
    Coronado Springs- 6/2009
    PO- Riverside- 6/2010
    AS Music- Solo, 40th Birthday March 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WDWdriver View Post
    Would have been nice if the article got the facts correct. The awful thing about this scam is it makes people who honestly need a GAC or use a wheelchair/scooter treated terribly by people who just assume they don't "really" need it.
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

When I read this in the NY post, I was skeptical. While it might be a scam, or a sham, according to what I saw, the guide does have some disability.
    Could people be abusing this, of course they can.
    Do people abuse privileges, of course some do.
    Because I have faith in humanity, I have to believe that the Majority of people who need GAC should be allowed to have their child or loved one be given the courtesy of having a shorter ride wait. And with my faith, I have to believe that the hardships that the people who need this type of privilege is enough for the rest of us who do not need special assistance to make room for them and give them a little bit of a break.
    Now someone who is "paying for this type of privilege" should get what is coming to them...

Please understand I know that this topic is more about people abusing privileges, but I think the people who need special assistance ...well need help. Someone who abuses a privileges that are meant for people with disabilities ... well they need help too, just a different type

Post Thanks / Like

Thinking about it last night, if this is true it is utterly despicable on many levels. I spent a couple hours doing some google searching and coming up empty as far as any true hard core facts written anywhere. But, of course, I had to realize that not all cheats of systems are written in black and white and only a select few usually know of them.

It makes me sad to think of the saying "one bad apple ruins the bunch". I can't help but think that if this is true then Disney will enforce some rule that is going to end up punishing everyone that truly does need assistance. And for that I feel awful.
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerbellT421 View Post

It makes me sad to think of the saying "one bad apple ruins the bunch". I can't help but think that if this is true then Disney will enforce some rule that is going to end up punishing everyone that truly does need assistance. And for that I feel awful.
    Well, this really isn't any different than the average abuse of GAC we've discussed any time here in the past, except for the fact that some yahoo (or maybe a few of them) is paying someone else an exorbitant fee to use their disability-- which is the juicy angle the reporter who came up with this story reported on.

We all know there is abuse, and I don't think this article will change it. But not many people are willing (or clueless enough) to pay someone to use their disability when they could easily just fake it on their own, if that was their nature. And I like to think that not many people are insensitive enough to fake it, either. I can't imagine anyone actually enjoying their time in the parks knowing they're manipulating a system meant to help people who need it, but there are jerks everywhere. I guess the story is more fascinating when it's a rich jerk bragging about her ability to buy others and cheat the system, but I doubt this is all that widespread, in the case of paying disabled guides just for the "edge". I'm not sure that many people are that stupid. There are better ways to get ahead if you have the money. Really just another article designed to make us all say "wow, rich people are jerks." And of course, not all of them are.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

With all the press this is getting, do you think we should bring my son's diagnosis and/or a doctor's note with us in June? I'm concerned Disney will be more strict with distributing the GAC with the alternate entrance stamps because of this. We've never brought it with us before, but just explained what his difficulties are and been given the pass. Unfortunately, my son has true issues that the GAC helps tremendously with. We don't use it all the time, but it certainly helps when we need it. His meltdowns have become much fewer and far between since we discovered the benefit of the GAC and I'd hate to lose that because of people abusing the system.
    Jodi

Many, many trips as a kid with family
    Last trip: November 2013
    Next trip: June 2014 - Just me and my son!

Post Thanks / Like

Jodi, privacy laws will not permit Disney to ask to prove a disability and they are not allowed to even read a note from a doctor. Just keep doing what you have done in the past as that is the procedure.

CMs are very aware of GAC abuse. It's not a new thing.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: