Quantcast adding HP to WDW trip

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default adding HP to WDW trip

I hope this is the place to post this question. My DD22 wants to go to Harry Potter World (or whatever it's called) at Universal for one day - just to see it, have a butter beer, ride the HP ride, etc. We built in a few days w/o park hoppers at the start of our trip so we can get up early on the second day, do the HP thing and then enjoy WDW for the rest of the vacation.

We're going 5/25-6/4, so that first weekend is Memorial Day weekend. We plan to get up early on Sunday 5/26, take a cab over to Universal and then return to WDW that night.

Any tips for me? I honestly have no clue about Universal because I've always only been interested in WDW. Should we get our tickets at the gate or beforehand? What taxi service is best (I've heard Mears)? I know it's going to be crowded so I'm steeling myself for that, but otherwise...what should I know/do?

Thanks!
    **mousetrapper**

CBR Oct. 1999
    Poly Nov. 2001
    CBR Oct. 2003
    BC Oct. 2004
    CBR Sept. 2005
    Poly Thanksgiving Week 2007
    CBR Nov. 2009
    Port Orleans Nov. 2011
    CBR May/June 2013
    AoA Sept. 2013

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I would definitely get your tickets ahead of time if possible because then you can go straight to the turnstile. I can't speak for transport, because I always have a car. But plan on getting in line at the turnstile BEFORE they open up and head straight for WWoHP to minimize your wait times.
    CBR - February 1992
    CBR - April 1993
    AS Music - February 1994
    AS Movies - February 2000
    Contemporary/DCL - April/May 2001
    AS Movies - January 2003
    CBR/DCL - September 2005
    Pop Century - May 2007
    Art of Animation - May 2013
    AS Movies - September 2013
    Pop Century - April/May 2015

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that you should purchase your tickets in advance and head straight to WWoHP at park opening to minimize your wait.

As far as transportation we are using Quicksilver in Aug to go from OKW to Royal Pacific, it is $40.00 for up to 4 people in a towncar, one way.

I think Mears has a shuttle you can arrange. I believe it is around $20.00 pp round trip from a Disney Resort to Universal.

Recent Trips:
    -OKW Aug 16 - Aug 23 / Royal Pacific Resort Universal Studios Aug 23 - Aug 26, 2013
    -Universal Studios Hard Rock Hotel Nov 14 - Nov 18, 2014
    -Saratoga Springs June 11 -18 2016

Next Trip:
    -Port Orleans Riverside / Saratoga Springs Sept 8 - 17, 2017

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe this was an anomaly, but we were at Universal 2 years ago over Memorial Day weekend (Friday through Monday) and Monday was the least crowded day of the weekend.
    Also, HP ride is very busy in the morning, but the ride had very little wait time later in the afternoon/early evening.

There are is so nicely done, if your daughter is a HP fan, she will love it.

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH
    09/06 POFQ w/ DD and friends
    09/07 AKL w/ DH, DD and DS!
    09/08 POR w/DS and friends
    05/10 CR w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/11 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/13 Royal Pacific US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    02/16 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS

Post Thanks / Like

The first time we took a day from Disney to visit wizarding world we purchased our tickets at the park and had no problems doing it that way. We arrived at the parking garage about an hour before park opening and had plenty of time to purchase tickets, get into the park, and to the "rope drop" before they allowed us all in. If you can easily purchase tickets ahead of time then great, but you shouldn't have any problems waiting till you get to the park if that works better for you.

I agree with what Karen said about the later hours. We always head to forbidden journey first thing in the morning, but have found the lines to be just as short the last hour or so that the park is open.

If your daughter is a HP fan then I think it will be totally worth giving up a day in Disney to experience wizarding world. It's been really well done and a must for any potter fan!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Keep in mind that Universal is about 15 miles north of Disney off of Interstate 4.

There are two parks at Unversal; Universal Studios is one part; but, The "Wizarding World of Harry Potter" is at Universal's Islands of Adventure park, so make sure you get to the correct park I'm not real sure where the taxi/bus drop-off is, but, keep in mind you *may* have to walk through CityWalk from the parking garages/drop-offs.

Also, that section of the park is kind of at the back of Islands of Adventure. I'd make sure to get there (to the park) *early* if you can.

Look at Universal's Web site and get a park map to get an idea of where you wanna be.
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

My daughter and I did this very thing last October. We bought tickets ahead of time and picked them up at will call. We used Quicksilver town car service. If all you want to see is HP and only do Islands of Adventure you will be fine. I felt a lttle rushed and thought 2 days would have been better, but I wanted to see the other park, as well. You will really enjoy WWOHP!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you to everyone for the great advice! So helpful.

I'll let you know how it goes!

**mousetrapper**

CBR Oct. 1999
    Poly Nov. 2001
    CBR Oct. 2003
    BC Oct. 2004
    CBR Sept. 2005
    Poly Thanksgiving Week 2007
    CBR Nov. 2009
    Port Orleans Nov. 2011
    CBR May/June 2013
    AoA Sept. 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MizMissy View Post
    Maybe this was an anomaly, but we were at Universal 2 years ago over Memorial Day weekend (Friday through Monday) and Monday was the least crowded day of the weekend.
    Also, HP ride is very busy in the morning, but the ride had very little wait time later in the afternoon/early evening.

There are is so nicely done, if your daughter is a HP fan, she will love it.
    I agree. The Forbidden Journey is much busier in the morning, because hotel guests get into the area an hour before open to the public. I go to Universal Studios first before heading to Islands of Adventure.
    When you wish upon a star...You get to go to Disney World
    Katie's Trips to Disney-
    WDW Trips: 245 times
    DL Trips: 4 times

Stopped counting since January 2012 when we moved to "the world"!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCE5..._as=subscriber

Post Thanks / Like

I have also been considering going to universal for a couple of days. Found out I could stay at one of their good neighbor hotels (not sure what they call them) for less then the cost of the tickets which are included. We get tickets, early entry and city walk included and adding park to park is still withing the cost of the tickets alone. I really am tempted to do this. Its a 1 bedroom suite a mile from the park.
    Three years in Connecticut and loving it
    Next trip in Jan 2017 I hope!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: