Quantcast Never Been to DL but........

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Never Been to DL but........

I have never been to DL but have been to DW over 100 times. I am excited as can be... Hit me with your thoughts, tips for parades, fireworks and night shows please. I am nervous as heckems to be in the wrong place..lol. Is a 3 day pass too much time for a newbie? Just let me know what not to miss!! First time alone with DH for a weekend in 3 years, and first time near a Mickey Mouse in 9. My babies are staying with Mema for our anniversary! HELP!!! Thanks all!!!
    Sarah K.
    85-87 Campground - 89 CAbins
    91 The Tree House Villas - 2001 Nov. Lake Buena Vista Best W.
    2002 Movies - 2002 Sports
    2003 Music - 2004 Cabins
    2006 DW Movies
    2013 DisneyLand- Embassy Suites S
    2014 Disneyland-Anaheim Plaza
    2015 Disneyworld Sports
    2017 DL?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I am WDW veteran myself and went to DLR for the first time in 2012. I prefer WDW over DL but I still had a faboulous time and hopefully will go back if I go to Cal. You'll love the closeness of DCA and DL entrances to each other. Also, make sure you go on Indiana Jones, Space Mountain, and Pirates of Caribbean. These 3 were my favorite rides at DLR and are either unique or better than WDW counterparts. Both DL and DCA have nice night shows to see. I wasnt able to go on the new Cars attraction at DCA because fast passes run out fast and the attraction had too log of a wait. If Soarin or Toy Story have huge lines, skip them because they are similar to WDW versions.
    Rob
    2/90 - Fort Wilderness Cabin
    2/92, 94, 98 - Beach Club
    2/96 - Dixie Landings
    2/99, 00 - All Star Sports
    5/05 - Pop Century
    5/07 - Coronado Springs
    8/08 - Beach Club Villas
    4/10 - Wilderness Lodge Villas
    8/12 - Disneyland (offsite)
    11/13 - Beach Club Villas

DVC Member

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by bruin1344 View Post
    I am WDW veteran myself and went to DLR for the first time in 2012. I prefer WDW over DL but I still had a faboulous time and hopefully will go back if I go to Cal. You'll love the closeness of DCA and DL entrances to each other. Also, make sure you go on Indiana Jones, Space Mountain, and Pirates of Caribbean. These 3 were my favorite rides at DLR and are either unique or better than WDW counterparts. Both DL and DCA have nice night shows to see. I wasnt able to go on the new Cars attraction at DCA because fast passes run out fast and the attraction had too log of a wait. If Soarin or Toy Story have huge lines, skip them because they are similar to WDW versions.
    I am also a WDW veteran. We visited DL about 4 years ago and I love WDW so much more than DL. It was so wierd to just walk across a plaza from one park to another. I liked some rides more, like the Pirates ride.

We are visiting the west coast & will go back to DL. They were buuilding the World of Color then and all we saw was a big hole in the ground. Looking forward to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonsmom View Post
    It was so wierd to just walk across a plaza from one park to another. I liked some rides more, like the Pirates ride.
    What some may find weird, others find wonderful! I love that the two front gates are so close, and that the entire resort (including Downtown Disney) is walkable. NO BUSSES!!!

To the OP, it's not the 'wrong' place, it's just a different place. If you go into it comparing DLR and WDW, you will find ways to be disappointed. Don't compare, just enjoy it for what it is - Walt's dream! There is so much unique and wonderful to Disneyland, and now with the California Adventure redo completely done, I think you'll be impressed. 3 days will never be wasted, and I'd even suggest 4 for a newbie.

As for what not to miss, at DL, don't miss Pirates, Space Mountain, Indy, Matterhorn, all of Fantasyland, Small World, Nemo Subs, Billy Hill and the Hillbillies, the new Fantasy Faire and also just taking the time to walk around and discover.

At DCA, Carsland is a must. Riding Radiator Springs Racers has to be a priority. I also highly recommend seeing Aladdin: A Musical Spectacular. Tower of Terror is a bit different. The Paradise Pier area has my favorite Disney coaster anywhere - California Screamin', and if you're into big ferris wheels, they have one of those too. I call it the 'wheel of death', but I digress. Yes, Soarin', Toy Story Mania and Ariel's Undersea Adventure are similar to their WDW counterparts, but many times you'll find shorter lines in California. Do not miss World of Color! Wow, what a wonderful show. I highly, highly suggest doing a lunch/dinner package in order to get priority seating.

Hope you have a great time at The Original! Don't forget to look for Walt's light on in the upper window of the Fire House and remind yourself that he actually walked the streets. It's amazing!

Post Thanks / Like

It has been a while since WDW for us as we have adopted special needs children over the last 7 years...lol... so I can't miss Toy story or soarin! lol. But thank you for the ideas of what is safe. How was Haunted Mansion to you??
    Sarah K.
    2003 Music - 2004 Cabins
    2006 DW Movies
    2015 Disneyworld Sports
    2017 DL?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    What some may find weird, others find wonderful! I love that the two front gates are so close, and that the entire resort (including Downtown Disney) is walkable. NO BUSSES!!!

To the OP, it's not the 'wrong' place, it's just a different place. If you go into it comparing DLR and WDW, you will find ways to be disappointed. Don't compare, just enjoy it for what it is - Walt's dream!
    I am excited because of this point exactly. The fact that this was Walt's original baby. His original view of what his imagination would bring forth... that is just simply AMAZING! So, I will try with all my heart NOT to compare! BUT, I know it will happen.. but I will try to compare not in "what's missing" but as in "what's new?? or different?" Because I think that is fascinating. Just reading about how the RR was built before a number of attractions so they had to build Part or all of some "into" the park, is fascinating for me. The fact that our POC doesn't really have a reason for the drops but theirs does is interesting indeed and the fact that our stretching room at WDW HM is for effect and theirs seems more for Necessity in order to get you to the ride.. is freaking amazing!! Anyways, too cool! Is there one great place to sit for the night shows??
    Sarah K.
    2003 Music - 2004 Cabins
    2006 DW Movies
    2015 Disneyworld Sports
    2017 DL?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney_pups2 View Post
    I am excited because of this point exactly. The fact that this was Walt's original baby. His original view of what his imagination would bring forth... that is just simply AMAZING! So, I will try with all my heart NOT to compare! BUT, I know it will happen.. but I will try to compare not in "what's missing" but as in "what's new?? or different?" Because I think that is fascinating. Just reading about how the RR was built before a number of attractions so they had to build Part or all of some "into" the park, is fascinating for me. The fact that our POC doesn't really have a reason for the drops but theirs does is interesting indeed and the fact that our stretching room at WDW HM is for effect and theirs seems more for Necessity in order to get you to the ride.. is freaking amazing!! Anyways, too cool! Is there one great place to sit for the night shows??
    With all this already in your heart and mind, you'll be just fine in Disneyland. I'm excited to hear how you like it, and please do report back.

As for seating at the nighttime shows, I'm not the best to ask. I've always pretty much done a package of some sort. The one time I saw Fantasmic! without the dessert package, I wasn't too happy.

Post Thanks / Like

There is no "seating" for the nighttime shows. For both Fantasmic and World of Color, you stand in designated viewing areas.

There are packages available for both shows, but honestly, it's not really that necessary, depending on when you are going to be there.

Fantasmic runs either once or twice a night (twice during the busy summer months). If possible, I always recommend viewing the second show, as it's always far less crowded. My recommendation is to view the Fireworks from Main Street, then make your way over to Frontierland/New Orleans Square after they are over for the 10pm F! show.

For World of Color, you have three options. You can purchase a TS dining package that comes with "VIP" viewing area access. You can purchase picnic meals that come with "second tier VIP" viewing area access, or you can obtain a FP ticket and view from the third area. This is how I've done it. The truth is, all the viewing areas are quite equal, and the MORE important point is to arrive at the viewing area 1 HOUR (no less) ahead of the showtime, so you can stake out a spot in the front of a section. It is important to note here, you MUST hold a ticket to be let into the viewing area. These areas are really the only decent places to watch the show from, as they have a front view. The rides surrounding Paradise Pier (except for Little Mermaid and Toy Story Midway Mania) will all shut down during the show, and you will not be allowed to "stand and watch" from a non viewing area location (they will keep you moving along). The only negative with using the FP to WoC is that you have to pay attention to which show you are going to get a ticket for. The machines are programmed to start by giving tickets to the first show and distribute those and then switch over to the second show. There will be a sign posted at the machines indicating which show the tickets are currently being distributed for. If you want the later show, you will obtain your FP ticket later. FYI, these FP are not like others. You can hold one of these and then immediately get ride FPs. You will have no trouble obtaining a FP for this show. In the early days, they would run out. That is long over.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Melanie and BrerGnat. I appreciate the ideas. I will research the packages you are talking about. I am hoping to learn a lot while there because my family, also all WDW VETS want the scoop on DL and are interested! I will let you know what I think when we get back Melanie. Thanks again!!
    Sarah K.
    2003 Music - 2004 Cabins
    2006 DW Movies
    2015 Disneyworld Sports
    2017 DL?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney_pups2 View Post
    It has been a while since WDW for us as we have adopted special needs children over the last 7 years...lol... so I can't miss Toy story or soarin! lol. But thank you for the ideas of what is safe. How was Haunted Mansion to you??
    Haunted Mansion was closed for refurb when I was there but I've heard the ride is similar to WDW's version. I am guessing the wait times are manageable like the WDW version so you'll have no problem going on it.
    Rob
    2/90 - Fort Wilderness Cabin
    2/92, 94, 98 - Beach Club
    2/96 - Dixie Landings
    2/99, 00 - All Star Sports
    5/05 - Pop Century
    5/07 - Coronado Springs
    8/08 - Beach Club Villas
    4/10 - Wilderness Lodge Villas
    8/12 - Disneyland (offsite)
    11/13 - Beach Club Villas

DVC Member

Post Thanks / Like

Haunted Mansion was closed for refurb when I was there but I've heard the ride is similar to WDW's version. I am guessing the wait times are manageable like the WDW version so you'll have no problem going on it.
    For me, Haunted Mansion is one ride I will 'give' to WDW. The improvements with staircases at the beginning (love those staircases), and the inclusion of the bride room, makes the WDW version almost perfect for me. I even get a chuckle out of the end with the hitchhiking ghosts.

As for exteriors though, I prefer the old southern mansion style at Disneyland, as opposed to the gothic style at WDW.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Melanie and Bruin. Am I mistaken that the DL Haunted mansion is a longer ride than ours??? I thought both POC and HM was longer at DL. I watched some of DL's HM and I can see several several differences right off the bat including music changes.
    Sarah K.
    2003 Music - 2004 Cabins
    2006 DW Movies
    2015 Disneyworld Sports
    2017 DL?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Smaller but Quaint

For us WDW vets, DLR is a bit "weird" - not bad, just different.
    Try to do the things that don't exist at WDW - like the Matterhorn and the Davy Crockett boats @ MK and in DCA things like the Aladdin show and Cars Land, or different from WDW, like Pirates, Haunted Mansion, New Orleans Square.
    Not sure if it's still offered, but there was a tour called "Walk in Walt's Footsteps" that was wonderful for really getting the feel for what Walt went through in getting DLR up and running, and included a couple of behind the scenes things, and a nice box lunch. It delivered on its title.
    If time permits, go visit DLH, for more memorabelia on display.
    12/97 ASM
    12/99 Caribe Royale
    12/01 Best W.
    08/03 BC
    05/04 ASM
    08/04 POFQ
    04/05 PPH
    07/05 POFQ
    11/06 Pop
    03/08 POR
    05/08 POFQ
    06/08 Pop