Quantcast DC, Hershey, New Jersey, New York ??? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

What a fun summer you have planned, Denise!

I have to agree with what Nat is saying about DC around the 4th though. I have no idea why they thought sticking National Harbor out there in the middle of nowhere, with no great transportation, was a good idea. I see tours listed on the Gaylord website, but nothing about just straight out transportation into the city. Does the water taxi just go into Alexandria? I guess driving your car to the nearest Metro station (that has lots of parking) could also be an option. I'd plan on getting a very early start regardless.

You could make a day out of just visiting the outdoor monuments (Jefferson, MLK, Roosevelt, Lincoln, Korea, Vietnam, Declaration Signers, WWII). It's a nice hike to do them all at once, but it's fun. But the heat may force you inside during the daylight hours, so the Smithsonians are a good bet. Maybe the crowds will be your guide. Congress won't be in session over the holiday, but maybe you could still arrange a tour? And as a result of the sequestration, White House tours are currently not available.

Good luck with all your plans! I have no experience with Jersey beaches, and have only been to Hershey once many years ago. Hoping to remedy that soon.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, so I'm nuts about railroads.... Eastern PA and NJ have multiple excursions, exhibits, model RR layouts, ect....Any visit with 11 and 13 year old boys should include a visit to Strasburg, and a ride on the Strasburg RR...real live steam! And for a weekend, instead of the beach, head to Steamtown...Several other excursion railways within one or two hours of Ft. Dix..
    Next Visit-June 2013

75,80,81,82,99,02,03,05 CR
    83,85 FW (Cabins)
    84 Poly
    96, 04, 06, 07, 08, 10, 11 SoG
    99 WL
    2000 (Christmas) DL (POR)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    While at Fort Dix you will only be about an hour from Philadelphia. The Franklin Institute is a great place for kids. The Philadelphia Art Musuem (Rocky) is wonderful. Eastern State Penn is right next door also. Last year Batstille Day was celebrated on July 12th and it is worth being at the Penn for that. When Marie says "Let them eat cake" Tastycakes are thrown from the tower into the crowd. Then they do the beheading. Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell (the real one lol), and Ben Franklin's grave are all very close together. Reading Terminal Market for Bassetts Ice Cream. I have more Philly suggestions if you decide to go.
    Philly is closer to Ft. Dix than NYC. I live 20 minutes from Ft. Dix and I'm in Philly in 30 minutes. I have a couple of neighbors who are stationed or work at Ft. Dix.

If your boys like baseball, you could go to a Phillies game. I have a Sunday ticket plan and they do many family promotions on Sundays.

One other place I suggest visiting is the Comcast Center building in Center City. There is a huge video wall in the lobby where they run some really cool things the boys may like. It is really neat at Christmas time. I work there, so if the dates line up, I can come down and meet you and we maybe can do lunch in the Marketplace in the lower floor of the building. It is a couple of blocks from the Franklin Institute.

I only know the beaches in southern NJ so I can't help you with the central area.
    I am going to suggest the beaches at Long Beach Island. They were severely damaged by Sandy, but 80% of LBI is supposed to be ready for visitors by Memorial Day. Like businesses after Katrina, they could use the support.

OK...if you have two weeks definately try to get to Philly for a couple of days at least.

My opinion of Cape May. Not for the kids. It's a nice Victorian town on the beach. IMO the actual beach isn't even that nice. I feel it's more for adults. Since you are willing to drive try Ocean City NJ. It will be a shorter drive for you. It's a family beach town with a boardwalk for the kids. It's a clean beach town and they have plenty of lifeguards. Get Johnson's Popcorn....the boardwalk also has something that looks and tastes like a milkshake....but is actual just frozen bananas.
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    For the NJ Beach, I definitely second Ocean City. We always go there. The beaches are nice, and the boardwalk is great. There are numerous mini golf places, and they also have some rides. If you do go there, and decide you want some pizza, go to Primos or 3 Brothers Pizza. The line for Mack n Manco's... or whatever it's called now (Manco and Manco's, I think) is usually crazy and it is very over rated. It's also a dry town, so you don't run into all the bozos like you do at some of the other towns that have boardwalks.
    I agree with Maryanne and Rita on Ocean City and Mack and Manco's .
    Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    As for the NJ beaches, when I lived there (many moons ago), we used to frequent Belmar beach. Is that still a good beach? Basically, it's just a beach, nothing fancy, but I remember it being clean, large, and well managed.
    Belmar does have a bit of a party scene, especially in the area by Bar A. Good news is the boardwalk should be ready for Memorial Day, but so should Bar A .
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDog View Post
    Just curious, since in my family we were discussing whether or not to go down the shore this summer...will it be worth it this year? Will the boardwalks be a mess and the stores boarded up? Every time I see the shore scenery on the local news, everything looks a wreck from the hurricane.
    Ocean City is fine. I have been there several times since Sandy. The boardwalk wasn't damaged, but homes were flooded. They have been cleaning up and everything will be ready for their summer season.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Just note that the fireworks on the National Mall will be pretty small from the Gaylord, about 10 miles as the crow flies.
    "You used all the glue on purpose!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mendelson View Post
    Just note that the fireworks on the National Mall will be pretty small from the Gaylord, about 10 miles as the crow flies.
    We actually decided against the Gaylord. As much as we love the Gaylord Brand we decided it was too far out for such a short trip. Today I booked the Four Points Sheraton in DC. It's walking distance to so much, and just two blocks from a metro station. Seems we'll be able to make better use of our time from this location. I also did a review search and the hotel got rave reviews all around.

This way should we decide to stay in DC for the fireworks we will be able to walk back to our hotel and not have to rely on congested transportation. Or we can watch the fireworks from the roof top pool according to the person I spoke with at the hotel.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzznwoodysmom View Post
    We actually decided against the Gaylord. As much as we love the Gaylord Brand we decided it was too far out for such a short trip. Today I booked the Four Points Sheraton in DC. It's walking distance to so much, and just two blocks from a metro station. Seems we'll be able to make better use of our time from this location. I also did a review search and the hotel got rave reviews all around.

This way should we decide to stay in DC for the fireworks we will be able to walk back to our hotel and not have to rely on congested transportation. Or we can watch the fireworks from the roof top pool according to the person I spoke with at the hotel.
    I think you made a really great call here, Denise.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    I think you made a really great call here, Denise.
    Thanks! We think so too!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: