Quantcast Had breakfast at Polynesian last week

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Had breakfast at Polynesian last week

I drove down to Florida for the races last week. I called an old high school buddy who lives South of Tampa to tell him Id be driving from Daytona to Ocala on Wednesday and Id like to see him for lunch or breakfast if at all possible.

First words out of his mouth were "Meet you for breakfast at the Polynesian"

The Tonga Toast is just as good as I remember and even though I didnt have time or money enough to buy a one day ticket, just doing a lap in the monorail and wandering around the GF, Contemporary and Poly was Magical enough. Also being on the monorail and seeing the train station, Cinderella Castle, Space Mtn and Seven Seas Lagoon really did make it feel like I was there!

I swear just spending an hour wandering thru the resorts puts one in the Disney Frame of Mind!

Im thinking breakfast at the Poly is now a mandatory part of my annual Speedweek vacation

I hope saying this doesnt ruin a good thing, but doing a lap in the monorail is probably one of the best free things one can do in Florida
    We are Siamese if you please

Contemporary Hotel Nov 1971
    Fort Wilderness 1974 & 75 (Ithink)
    Senior Trip 1983 off site
    Polynesian 1990
    Grand Floridian 1991
    All-Star Music 2008
    Port Orleans French Quarter Feb '09
    Magic Kingdom 2/17/12

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Harrisonburg, VA--too far from the magic!
    Post Thanks / Like

Yummy...I love Tonga Toast! I agree that this is a great way to spend some time and get some free Disney magic. Glad you were able to do it and had a wonderful experience.
    șoș Tiffany șoș

Many trips offsite growing up
    2/08 CBR
    10/09 Pop/POFQ
    12/09-1/10 POR/CR
    10/10 POLY
    12/11 POFQ

Next Up:
    POFQ 10/14 - 11/14

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if I could do a quick stop like that.To be so close to all the magic and not stay.
    We've talked a few times about getting a quick weekend "fix" and getting an All star room and going to MK for a couple days or something but
    then we go,"what about EE,my beloved ToT and
    RnRc and so on....
    Maybe if my dreams came true and I became a local.Then breakfast at the Poly would be fun,
    lunch at Sci-fi and dinner at Coral reef.
    Oh yeah ,work in between..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KevMcNJ View Post
    doing a lap in the monorail is probably one of the best free things one can do in Florida
    I agree! We've done that once, when we got off the cruise, but weren't going to the "world" ... breakfast and then a trip around the monorail was a perfect "hold-over!"
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I swear just spending an hour wandering thru the resorts puts one in the Disney Frame of Mind!

I hope saying this doesnt ruin a good thing, but doing a lap in the monorail is probably one of the best free things one can do in Florida
    So true! What a wonderful little dose of Disney. I love the monorail loop. Glad you fit it in.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I agree!

Several years ago our vacation was booked for October. I was having serious withdrawals so my girls and I went down for the weekend, a couple of months before the scheduled trip. Downtown Disney, touring the resorts and riding the monorail tide me over until our scheduled trip.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ž.•*š)ž.•*š)ž.•*šMagicž.•*š)ž.•*š)ž.•*š

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

and even though I didnt have time or money enough to buy a one day ticket, just doing a lap in the monorail and wandering around the GF, Contemporary and Poly was Magical enough.
    Magic on the cheap! Love it! I'm glad these posts aren't all about spending thousands of dollars. Thanks for sharing!
    Past Visits:
    1984 & 85 Off Site
    1999 CBR
    2003 BW/GF
    2009 WL
    2011 Poly
    2013 YC, WL, CR (good year!)
    2014 AKL
    2015 GF, CS , Poly, SSR
    2016 YC, Universal Portofino, GF, Waldorf

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must live." - Bukowski

Post Thanks / Like

I drove down to Florida for the races last week. First words out of his mouth were "Meet you for breakfast at the Polynesian"

...Being on the monorail and seeing the train station, Cinderella Castle, Space Mtn and Seven Seas Lagoon really did make it feel like I was there!

Im thinking breakfast at the Poly is now a mandatory part of my annual Speedweek vacation

How was the races? Didja go to any of the other short tracks down there (New Smyrna, Ocala, Volusia County, East Bay)?
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

I'd love to be close enough to just drive onto property and do something like that!

Rose

"Imagination is the highest kite one can fly" - Lauren Bacall

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Main Street Jim View Post
    How was the races? Didja go to any of the other short tracks down there (New Smyrna, Ocala, Volusia County, East Bay)?
    I saw two nights of the World of Outlaws sprints at Volusia. Monday night I didnt feel like seeing the Late Models so I just hung out in the camping area with the guy camping next to me. I went to Daytona on Tuesday for the modified race (NEVER again!!)

Wednesday was my travel day to the Gulf Coast and was also the day when I hit the Polynesian for breakfast

I was at Ocala on Thursday and Friday nights for the USAC sprint cars and Saturday I hung out with an old high school buddy who now lives in Tampa.

I drove home to SC on sunday and listened to the 500 while I drove home

Polynesian 1990
    Grand Floridian 1991
    All-Star Music 2008
    Magic Kingdom 2/17/12

Post Thanks / Like

....and that is why I want to live in Florida. I can see the conversations in my household now..."Dad can we run get a cream cheese pretzel, I'm hungry." or "Where do you want to eat dinner?......I want Mexican food, I want Japanese Food, I want German food......I know lets just run over to World showcase and eat!" . Yes one day I will be living in the sunshine state!
    My first home is in Coastal Georgia, 30 feet from the saltwater marsh, and 3.5 hours from WDW!My second home is the Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort!CR,Poly,GF,BC,BW,WL,AKL,Dolphin,Swan,DL,CSR,POFQ,C BR,POP,AS,Vero.

Post Thanks / Like

Did someone say Tonga Toast?
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerinvestigator View Post
    ....and that is why I want to live in Florida. I can see the conversations in my household now..."Dad can we run get a cream cheese pretzel, I'm hungry." or "Where do you want to eat dinner?......I want Mexican food, I want Japanese Food, I want German food......I know lets just run over to World showcase and eat!" . Yes one day I will be living in the sunshine state!
    I live 7 hours away from Orlando Its something I can do only one week out of the year

Polynesian 1990
    Grand Floridian 1991
    All-Star Music 2008
    Magic Kingdom 2/17/12

Post Thanks / Like

I saw two nights of the World of Outlaws sprints at Volusia. Monday night I didnt feel like seeing the Late Models so I just hung out in the camping area with the guy camping next to me. I went to Daytona on Tuesday for the modified race (NEVER again!!)

Wednesday was my travel day to the Gulf Coast and was also the day when I hit the Polynesian for breakfast

I was at Ocala on Thursday and Friday nights for the USAC sprint cars and Saturday I hung out with an old high school buddy who now lives in Tampa.

I drove home to SC on sunday and listened to the 500 while I drove home
    *AWESOME* Another *short track* fan here on Intercot!

As for the Modifieds and Late Models at Daytona...I have a feeling that ain't gonna last. New Smyrna got a NASCAR sanction this year, so I'd guess if they keep it, they'll move these races over to New Smyrna. If you wanna see a GOOD asphalt Modified sow during Speedweeks, head down to New Smyrna for Friday night's Richie Evans Memorial. Even though they had a pretty short field this year, a lot of people still said it was a great race between the top three all night.

As for "seven hours away", where are you from (in SC)? You could live in the same state as Walt Disney World and still be seven hours away...LOL...

My wife and I used to go to the parks nearly half the week after work...cheap (and free!) entertainment....LOL...perks of bein' a Cast Member! :P
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

That show at Daytona was so bad I dont know how many people will even go back next year. I know I wont return in the future unless I see a dramatic improvement next year. They need to cut the field down to 24-28 cars, get rid of those tires in the turns so cars dont get hung up on them so easily and go to single file restarts

Ive been to New Smyrna in years past and thought about going down there to see the USAC Midgets this year but chose not to.
    I grew up in New Jersey and spent countless Saturday nights watching the asphalt modifieds at Wall Stadium
    That being said, sprint cars are my thing so thats why I chased them around Florida all week

When I was younger and living in NJ, I used to get so bummed out that I couldnt afford to get to Florida in February for all the races that were going on.

So now that I live so much closer (Columbia, SC) and can afford it I try and do Speedweek every year.

I still need to see a race at Aubrundale just because its there and I havent seen a race there yet

Polynesian 1990
    Grand Floridian 1991
    All-Star Music 2008
    Magic Kingdom 2/17/12

Post Thanks / Like

I've found that the quickest way to remedy the 7-hour away issue is to convince others to buy annual passes. DBF and I are almost completely saved up and we have at LEAST three trips planned so far- and we live near Atlanta!

But as for free and short, we just came back today! We went to DTD, I bought a new Disney quilt, and we ate at T-Rex! Another great, free day in WDW! I would have LOVED to take a ride on the monorail, but I don't think I would have been able to NOT get off!
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

After breakfast my buddy and I did wander around DTD too.

I understand why they did what they did, but it was kind of a bummer to see Pleasure Island without all the old clubs in place.

I had some good times there 20+ years ago

Polynesian 1990
    Grand Floridian 1991
    All-Star Music 2008
    Magic Kingdom 2/17/12

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: