Quantcast What electronic game?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default What electronic game?

DH was watching Modern Marvels today with some history of electronics, computers, and the Atari game system. Which I remember well. Commodore, which I might still have (never throw anything away ).

Dimly, I can recall Pong. And Alien Invaders. And Pacman.

What games are your first?

Jan

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

While I was around in the days of Atari,our first in home gaming system was the first Nintendo (NES) System withe Super Mario Brothers. I do remember though going to arcades that had Pac Man and Donkey Kong. It's funny I wish I had saved my NES. My oldest son who is 15 fancies himself a "retro gamer". He loves all the old games and systems. He wanted a stand up arcade machine of Pac Man however they are $3000 and up! So the answer was no. He does have a stand up arcade machine with some B level games like Rampage and I don't know what else is on there.

He also got my cousin to give him an old Sega Dreamcast machine from the late 90's.

He won't ever trade in his current games or systems since he is a "collector".

A few years back Nintendo released some older games for the Game Boy, and then later for purchase on the Wii. I loved being able to share all the oldies I used to play. He liked them too.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

I did play the Pong arcade game when I was about 6 or 7.

Space Wars was a fun one. 2 player game where a little Asteroids-looking ship tried to kill the Enterprise looking ship. They had one in Starcade at DL my uncle and I played every time we went to the park.

Others - Night Driver, Breakout, Starship 1, Circus, Sea Wolf, Boot Hill, Galaxian, Moon Cresta, Red Barron, Rally-X, Defender, Space Invaders, Rip Off, Star Castle, Asteroids, Galaga, Missile Command, Battle Zone, Berzerk...

I could go on and on. Lots of time wasted, many quarters spent.
    Past Visits:
    1984 & 85 Off Site
    1999 CBR
    2003 BW/GF
    2009 WL
    2011 Poly
    2013 YC, WL, CR (good year!)
    2014 AKL
    2015 GF, CS , Poly, SSR
    2016 YC, Universal Portofino, GF, Waldorf

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must live." - Bukowski

Post Thanks / Like

I love video games, and still have all of my systems and games, (except for my Atari, Dad sold it).

On the Atari I play Pitfall, Q*bert, The Smurfs, Frogger, E.T (terrible game), Pong, Football, etc.

Then the NES came out when I was 5. My favorites on that are Super Mario Bros, (1 and 3, I have 2 but it's not that great), Kirby's Adventure, all of the Mega Man games, Maniac Mansion, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, (the original and the arcade version), and a lot of Disney Games, (my favorites are the Magic Kingdom game and Rescue Rangers).

He won't ever trade in his current games or systems since he is a "collector".
    Hahaha. I am too. Some of my NES games even still have the original boxes they came in. Pretty cool considering I had 4 younger siblings who I shared everything with. Some of my games have gone way up in value, I won't sell them though, I like them too much.

I've got a bunch of other systems too, but the NES is my favorite. Lots of fond childhood memories.

Post Thanks / Like

My niece played Super Mario Bros and Donkey Kong alot during the early 90s. She wasn't getting into the new game systems.

She got to looking around on Amazon and ordered a couple of older game systems and some cartridges. I think one is Super Nintendo and the other might be an NES. Her daughter loves playing the old games with her.

The systems she bought weren't collector's items, just used. I think the most she paid for a game system was $50.

Recently she bought a Wii - I'll have to let her know about the older games being released. So far she's only bought a few games, and those are ones her daughter has asked for and gets for special things - like going to the dentist without a fuss.

I had forgotten about Q-bert and Frogger.

I was never any good with a game system controller. The most fun I had was with a PC game from maybe the late 90's - something to do with Hot Wheels, maybe. The idea was this kid got a whole semi-truck load of Hot Wheels stuff and turned the whole house into race tracks. Started in the living room, getting more and better cars as you unlocked more rooms. Some rooms I was better at (I used the mouse) and some my grandson was better at (he used the arrow keys), but the computer died before we unlocked the basement. Next computer system didn't support the game.

Probably got a lot more work done after that . . .

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

We had a dragon 32 computer and used to play Frogger, donkey kong, pac man and space invaders. I was completely addicted to space invaders and sepnt many a sunny day hidden inside blowing up space ships much to my parents dismay.
    We also had a lot of games on tape. I remember having to connect the tape player to the computer and then playing the tape to make the game work. I can only remeber two games - one was a horse racing game and the other was a mystery game.
    Dragongirlx (AkA Ruth)

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

2004 - offsite
    2006 - Dolphin
    2007- WL
    2008 - Poly
    2009 - WL
    2010 - GF
    2012 - WL
    2013 - WL
    2014 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, what a trip down memory lane.

I remember Space Wars - could never get enough of it. Think I read somewhere that it was the first video game - could be remembering wrong..

We still have all of our old gaming systems from Atari and Nintendo - they are all still a blast to play.

DW had an original Pong system.
    Cheers/Diz
    61 trips to WDW and counting...
    DVC members since 2002
    Where we've stayed:
    Off site
    CBR, CSR, POR, POFQ
    FW Home, FW Cabin
    CR, WL
    AKV, BCV, BLT, BWV, OKW, SSR, VWL, Poly Bungalow, Aulani
    Disneyland: Off site, DLH, PP, GCR, VGCR
    Cruised on: Magic, Wonder, Fantasy, Dream

Harrisonburg, VA--too far from the magic!
    Post Thanks / Like

I loved Frogger and spent hours at my grandma's store playing that game and bugging her for quarters!

At home I had the NES but the only games I ever played were Mario Bros 1 and 3 and Paperboy. I still have the entire system and the games.

At school we had the old Apple version of Oregon Trail that I loved to play. Most of the time I preferred reading to video games though.
    ºoº Tiffany ºoº

Many trips offsite growing up
    2/08 CBR
    10/09 Pop/POFQ
    12/09-1/10 POR/CR
    10/10 POLY
    12/11 POFQ

Next Up:
    POFQ 10/14 - 11/14

Post Thanks / Like

As far as HOME video game consoles, I used to play...

Atari 2600: Combat (came with original console), Adventure (you are a courageous dot battling dragons!), Pitfall!, Missile Command, Football (really bad), basketball (see Football), Yar's Revenge, Warlords, Night Driver, etc.

Intellivision: Sea Battle (loved that one!), Baseball, etc.

Vectrex: Mine Storm, Communist Mutants from Outer Space (this console has a built-in monitor) - virtually nobody owned this system.

Colecovision: Donkey Kong, etc.

NES: Super Mario Bros., Zelda, Blades of Steel, etc.

Sega Genesis: Sonic the Hedgehog, Shaq-Fu (bad, but a oh so funny concept), NHL Hockey, etc. (note: I gave my Sega to my dad in about 1994. He STILL plays it about 3-4 days a week. He plays some turn based strategy/war games, mostly P.T.O., Operation Europe and Liberty or Death)

Commodore 64/Atari 400/800: M.U.L.E (Fun multiplayer game), Archon, Mail Order Monsters, many others...

It is occurring to me now I spent a LOT of time in the 70's and 80's playing video games. Now it is the Xbox 360 (and a Wii - but I don't use it much) wasting my time.
    Past Visits:
    1984 & 85 Off Site
    1999 CBR
    2003 BW/GF
    2009 WL
    2011 Poly
    2013 YC, WL, CR (good year!)
    2014 AKL
    2015 GF, CS , Poly, SSR
    2016 YC, Universal Portofino, GF, Waldorf

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must live." - Bukowski

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDINK View Post
    Now it is the Xbox 360 (and a Wii - but I don't use it much) wasting my time.
    Same here. Part of me thinks I never should have purchased the Wii, I haven't turned it on in over a year, (I dust it regularly). But then I think of it as an interesting addition to video game history, and it's probably good that I have it in my collection. Plus my nephews enjoyed it a lot until they got one of their own.

Post Thanks / Like

In my 5th grade math class we had one of the earliest personal computers. This was 1981 and I think it was a Commodore, but I'm not certain. Anyway, it had a game where you could mine for gold. I can't remember its name. Does anyone else remember this?

Amy
    "I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine. And he shall be my Squishy."

"Just keep swimming...just keep swimming...just keep swimming, swimming, swimming...What do we do, we...swim...swim"

Previous trips: Dolphin/ASMo, CBR, AKL, Pop, WL
    Upcoming trip: Spring Break at Pop

Post Thanks / Like

Commodore 64 and 128, Intellivision and the Apple II

I loved playing Oregon Trail and Summer Olympics and who can forget Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy!

I also remember playing a game where you could program a little arrow on the Apple that would draw pictures and you could change the background. I would play that in the morning at school before school started. I would have to get to school early because my mom worked there and she would drop me off in the computer lab and I would play games and write programs. I also remember in high school writing a black jack game program on our radio shack computers with the big floppy disks.

Oh, gosh, I just realized how old I am...
    Melissa

Disneyland - too many times to count
    Poly 2007
    3 day Cruise Wonder 2007
    4 day Cruise Wonder 2000-2001 (New Years Cruise) Honeymoon
    Beach Club 2000 Honeymoon
    Poly 98
    3 day Cruise Magic 98
    Tokyo Disneyland 1994

Post Thanks / Like

Original Atari here, and I distinctly remember playing (when I could get a chance from my brothers) Asteroids, Pitfall and Missile Command.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember many of these games fondly. The game I LOVED to play the most was Centipede, but not on a home console. I loved rolling that ball a million miles a minute on the arcade machine.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

We had a ColecoVision. Played a lot of Mouse Trap, Frogger, Q*Bert, and Pitfall! We got a free Cabbage Doll (with adoption papers) when we purchased this game system.
    Linda aka tinkwest
    INTERCOT Staff ~ Disneyland Resort

Come On Everybody - Here We Go!!

“To all who come to this happy place: Welcome. ...”

Support our INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

Pitfall was probably my favorite Atari 2600 game. I also remember playing these others a lot: Raiders of the Lost Ark, ET, Laser Blast, Missile Command, all of the RealSports titles, Star Raiders, Vanguard, BurgerTime, Donkey Kong, Frogger, Activision's Ice Hockey game, and River Raid...

Commodore 64/128 titles would be way too numerous to list. Special mention to all the Infocom text adventures.

Post Thanks / Like

I played Asteroids at a diner back in '81 or '82, but my first real exposure to video games was my uncle had an Atari 2600 with Space Invaders that I played for 3-4 hours straight one day. My parents bought a 2600 for Christmas that year and we had 20-30 games(Pacman, Donkey Kong, Frogger, Missle Command, just to name a few) for it before we retired it in '87. I got the NES that year and have had every Nintendo system since including the Gameboy and DS series. I also have had all 3 Playstations and both Xboxes. We also had an Apple IIe that I loved to play Ultima on.

Back in the early '80s, my house had the 2600 and the neighbors had intellivision and collecovision so we would rotate playing the different systems. Once one of our moms would yell at us to go outside - we went to another guys house and a different system

My Mom sold the 2600 in a yard sale when I went to college , but I have bought the 2600 collections to play on the Playstation

I consider myself a console gamer. I don't do much PC gaming and very little online gaming.
    Michael
    You ain't never had a friend like me!

DVC Owner - AKL

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: