Quantcast Training Check-in/Encouragement Thread - Page 16

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe a month has gone by since I've posted in here! Where has the time gone? Bad OP! Congrats Nikki on your 10 miler! Mel good luck finding a resolution for your knees.

Running was not my friend this past month. I think I mentioned having this problem off and on earlier in the thread, but I guess since I hadn't run in a while the ITCHINESS came back full force. Previously, it flared up during my first run after a period of inactivity, or first run in excessive heat or cold, but then mostly subsided after one or two runs. This time it was all over my body and practically unbearable for quite a few running sessions in a climate controlled gym. I could make it about 20 minutes alternating running/walking (heavy on walking as running made it worse) before I wanted to rip my skin off and just couldn't take it anymore. It was hard not to get discouraged because it felt like starting over again and then some. Finally, though, one magic day the sensation lessened a little bit and I pushed through to a little over 2 miles, and just the other day I was finally able to run/walk a full 5K again with zero itchiness. So I feel back on track now, and more motivated than ever to keep it up since I do not want the itchies to return
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Itchy

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    Running was not my friend this past month. I think I mentioned having this problem off and on earlier in the thread, but I guess since I hadn't run in a while the ITCHINESS came back full force. Previously, it flared up during my first run after a period of inactivity, or first run in excessive heat or cold, but then mostly subsided after one or two runs. This time it was all over my body and practically unbearable for quite a few running sessions in a climate controlled gym. I could make it about 20 minutes alternating running/walking (heavy on walking as running made it worse) before I wanted to rip my skin off and just couldn't take it anymore. It was hard not to get discouraged because it felt like starting over again and then some. Finally, though, one magic day the sensation lessened a little bit and I pushed through to a little over 2 miles, and just the other day I was finally able to run/walk a full 5K again with zero itchiness. So I feel back on track now, and more motivated than ever to keep it up since I do not want the itchies to return
    I've never heard of such a thing. How horrible. So I went to look it up and found this: "Itchy skin usually occurs during exercise performed after a long period of inactivity. The itching is not on the skin, it's inside the actual limbs. There are millions of tiny capillaries and arteries inside our muscles which expand rapidly due to the demand for more blood that is brought on by exercise. When fit, these capillaries remain open allowing maximum blood passage, but when unfit and inactive they tend to collapse, allowing only minimal blood passage (which is sufficient for a sedentary person however). The rapid expansion of these vessels causes adjacent nerves to send impulses back to the brain which are interpreted as an itch. That's why after a few sessions the sensation tends to go away. Just another indication of increasing fitness levels."

What do you think of that answer? I'm not a Doctor. But it may make you feel better.
    Then: #runICOT 1/16
    GC Disneyland 10/15
    #runICOT 1/15
    OKW 7/14
    BWV #runICOT 1/14
    VBR and BCV 7/13
    AoA 10/12 iCOT 15th!
    VBR, OKW, Magic, & AKL 5/12
    BCV, BLT, Dream 8/11
    BWV 9/09
    AKV & DCL Magic 5/09
    POR 11/08 (no KIDS)
    BWV 6/08
    SSR 11/07
    AKL - 5/06
    Offsite 6/05
    ASM 7/99
    Offsite 3/97

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I'm sure that's what the issue is because there is no relief from it by showering/creams etc it just eventually goes away... and it does feel like it's under the skin and I got splotchy all over. Yuck! Hopefully it does not come back...
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Never felt that. But have had my muscles turn pinkish and usually means thru they got "oxygenated" thru use or massage.

So Benadryl would not remove the itching sensation since it's not a skin issue?

Hope it clears up!
    Best Regards,
    GMRO

Been There; Done That; Got The Shirt; AND GOING BACK!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    Yes I'm sure that's what the issue is because there is no relief from it by showering/creams etc it just eventually goes away... and it does feel like it's under the skin and I got splotchy all over. Yuck! Hopefully it does not come back...
    This happens to me too. Usually will happen when it's really cold or when I first work out after a while of not doing so.

I just take a daily Claritin now. It helps IMMENSELY. I haven't had one instance of the "itchies" since I started taking it. Although it's not an allergic reaction, per se, if you keep your body's production of histamine down, it really helps with this problem. And, Claritin is so mild that it doesn't cause sleepiness or any other side effects usually.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    This happens to me too. Usually will happen when it's really cold or when I first work out after a while of not doing so.

I just take a daily Claritin now. It helps IMMENSELY. I haven't had one instance of the "itchies" since I started taking it. Although it's not an allergic reaction, per se, if you keep your body's production of histamine down, it really helps with this problem. And, Claritin is so mild that it doesn't cause sleepiness or any other side effects usually.
    I'm actually on multiple allergy and asthma medications daily and I get weekly injections. I have a lot of allergy problems
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

Post Thanks / Like

I definitely need some encouragement! Things had been going great for me. I was in a very good exercise and diet routine, and in total I'm down about 18lbs from when I started this 3 months ago or so.

We went to California a few weeks ago. Towards the end of our trip, we were in San Diego and I was crossing a street and came down wrong and did something to my calf. I've been icing it and laying off the exercise ever since. A few days ago, I started back up with short walks, and everything felt fine except I could feel a slight tightness, but not really pain. Well, just now I was going down stairs in my house and when I got to the bottom, I took that last step and the exact same thing happened that happened in San Diego. It hurts.

I'm so frustrated! I had goals for certain dates, and this is really throwing those out of whack. I foresee more walking than running in January for #runICOT.

Main thing is, I know myself! I know how easy it is for me to slip back into old habits, so not being able to exercise scares me. Anyone have experience with calf injuries? Would riding a stationary bike be good (after I rest the calf again for awhile)? Any other tips?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Calf

Mel - I have no personal experience with calf injury but I think with this second injury with the same symptoms, I think its time to see an orthopedic doctor.

The fact that you're so worried about falling back into old habits shows that you have the determination to stop yourself. And I have you on MyFitnessPal to keep an eye on you there.

Hang in there, Mel. We have time until January. I know you're frustrated but there's time to heal and train.
    GC Disneyland 10/15
    #runICOT 1/15
    OKW 7/14
    BWV #runICOT 1/14
    VBR and BCV 7/13
    AoA 10/12 iCOT 15th!
    BCV, BLT, Dream 8/11
    BWV 9/09
    AKV & DCL Magic 5/09
    POR 11/08 (no KIDS)
    BWV 6/08
    SSR 11/07
    AKL - 5/06
    Offsite 6/05
    ASM 7/99
    Offsite 3/97

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JMTStone View Post
    Mel - I have no personal experience with calf injury but I think with this second injury with the same symptoms, I think its time to see an orthopedic doctor.

The fact that you're so worried about falling back into old habits shows that you have the determination to stop yourself. And I have you on MyFitnessPal to keep an eye on you there.

Hang in there, Mel. We have time until January. I know you're frustrated but there's time to heal and train.
    Mel, I agree. I think it's time to see a doctor about that. When you re injure yourself in the same way like that so soon after it happened, you likely have some sort of weakness in a supporting structure that should be identified. You may have torn something the first time that isn't healed yet, or you may have a weakness somewhere unrelated to the calf (like the ankle or knee) that is causing you to move differently when stepping down, and thus, aggravating your calf.

In the meanwhile, if you can do stationary bike or elliptical without pain, I'd try that.

In addition, switch over from cardio to mainly weight training for awhile. The more muscle you gain, the better results you'll see from your dieting, and the stronger you are when you resume walks, the better.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    I definitely need some encouragement! I'm down about 18lbs from when I started this 3 months ago or so...
    Wondered where your progress was...

Sorry to hear about the calf set back. I've never had that issue. BUT good folks are giving you some good advise...we all hate the Dr. visits but you may have to get an appointment to see if you tore or maybe did an internal sprain.

Don't give up! Did you have the same shoes on when you were walking in San D and home when your set resulted in the pain? Maybe a support issue with that shoe/type is what is causing the issue. You have gym access right? I'd try the stationary bike or elliptical if that does not cause any inflammation or pain to your calf. There are lots of "TUL" exercises you can do that can keep you active that you can do "around" your injury as you heal up. Google is your friend...and you can see many youtube videos of different types. I think the KEY is to do something. Since you make the comment that you "know yourself" - don't fall back into being non-active. Every little bit keeps your mind strong and helps you reprogram into WANTING to do some form of exercise. I say don't set your goal too high. I think most stop/fail when they set too long a workout time as well as too many reps in a set. Start out slow and you will progress and improve. GOOD LUCK!!!

DON'T FRET! You've come this far...stay positive!
    Best Regards,
    GMRO

Been There; Done That; Got The Shirt; AND GOING BACK!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Map of 6.6

I'm running the Mario Lemieux 6.6K then 6 days later, The Color Run 5K (more of a fun run - I think I'm wearing a tutu with minnie ears)

http://www.mariolemieux.org/wp-conte...09/run_map.png

My training is going so well I regret not signing up for the 1/2 in addition to the 5K. I'm just curious on how I'll do. Its my first timed/chipped event.

We have more Yinzers on here. Anyone else from Pittsburgh doing this run?
    GC Disneyland 10/15
    #runICOT 1/15
    OKW 7/14
    BWV #runICOT 1/14
    VBR and BCV 7/13
    AoA 10/12 iCOT 15th!
    BCV, BLT, Dream 8/11
    BWV 9/09
    AKV & DCL Magic 5/09
    POR 11/08 (no KIDS)
    BWV 6/08
    SSR 11/07
    AKL - 5/06
    Offsite 6/05
    ASM 7/99
    Offsite 3/97

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    We went to California a few weeks ago. Towards the end of our trip, we were in San Diego and I was crossing a street and came down wrong and did something to my calf. I've been icing it and laying off the exercise ever since. A few days ago, I started back up with short walks, and everything felt fine except I could feel a slight tightness, but not really pain. Well, just now I was going down stairs in my house and when I got to the bottom, I took that last step and the exact same thing happened that happened in San Diego. It hurts.

I'm so frustrated! I had goals for certain dates, and this is really throwing those out of whack. I foresee more walking than running in January for #runICOT.

Main thing is, I know myself! I know how easy it is for me to slip back into old habits, so not being able to exercise scares me. Anyone have experience with calf injuries? Would riding a stationary bike be good (after I rest the calf again for awhile)? Any other tips?
    If the injury is in the calf muscle I would suspect that you pulled it. What I have done under those circumstances is keep the affected muscle wrapped with an ace bandage. I would wrap it snugly but not so tight that you cut off your circulation. This will help you from aggravating the injury as you go through your daily routines. I would also keep it wrapped while you are sleeping. You would be amazed at how much you can tweak an injury like this when you change position while you sleep.

I would also ice it every once and a while and start an ibuprofen regimen.

Unfortunately the best thing for a pulled muscle is time and if you have past that milestone of forty you are probably looking at a month minimum.

You should be able to restart your training after a couple of weeks if you keep the muscle wrapped and take it easy. If you start to feel soreness in the muscle stop because you will be aggravating the injury. If you have no pain you can keep going.

A good diet is vital when rehabbing. You will want to eat lots of fresh fruits and veggies to give your body what it needs to properly heal.

But all is not lost. In 2010 I pulled an upper thigh muscle two weeks prior to the Wine and Dine half marathon and at 53 years old I was looking at a minimum of six weeks of recovery time. I did not run from that moment until the start of the race, iced the affected area daily for an hour and kept it wrapped at all times including during the race. I managed to get through the first eleven miles virtually pain free. It was getting pretty sore by mile twelve but with just one mile to go I just toughed it out and brought home the bling.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for the kind words! I am still in a little state of shock that I completed a 10 miler in the time I did. I took a quick break from running last week and am now shifting my mental focus to 1/2 marathon training. I was supposed to start Galloway Week 1 but will pick up Week 2 on Thursday.

Mel- so sorry to hear you're injured! I hope you get to see a Dr., PT, or athletic trainer sometime really soon to get that worked out. Sending you good vibes and pixie dust
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Post Thanks / Like

Thinking goods thoughts for all thoses racing and training. Everyone's successes are inspiring.

Sorry Mel to hear of your injury. It sounds like many here have great advice. I don't have any experience with injuries but I think the most important thing to do is be sure you are healed before extensive training.

My work schedule is so crazy lately, I've been making excuses and not getting out for regular training. I completed the 10K at Disneyland and haven't trained consistently since. I just have to get up earlier and get the miles in. Galloway's plan is so easy to do and I've had great success with it. I must make the time.
    #runICOT rocks!
    6 years Disney running!
    14 5Ks
    13 10Ks
    16 Half Marathons
    5 Coast to Coast
    Just Finished: WDW 5K 10K
    Up Next: SW Light Side (Virtual Half) Dark Side (Half) Kessel Run Challenge

Post Thanks / Like

Where does the time go? It has been 8 weeks since my last update – so much for my intentions of more frequent posts! But this time I have a good excuse. Just over two weeks ago we welcomed our second child into the world, Jacob. A healthy little boy and a very happy time for our family – although the lack of sleep is catching up to us all.

When I last left off, I had just completed my first half marathon race, Run Melbourne, in July. I am still really stoked with my time for that race (2:08), which was much faster than I expected. However, running the whole race nonstop rather than following my normal run/walk/run took its toll on my poor legs and joints especially. It took about three weeks for me to get back to normal and back to running regularly.

Since then I have been following the Jeff Galloway Dopey Challenge training plan and haven’t missed a session (even with a wife in hospital with a newborn!). For some of my more recent long runs I have dropped my intervals from 1min:1min to 30sec:30sec. It hasn’t affected my time too much, but my legs feel so much fresher at the end. Today I ran 21.1km as part of my training. Using the 30/30 intervals I managed 2:20 – slower than my race time, but I feel human this afternoon and am confident I can get out and run some more this week. I can’t believe I’m now running 21.1km and calling it a training session!

Trip planning
    This week I bit the bullet and booked myself in for a massage at WDW for the day following the full marathon. A little treat to myself, and I’m sure I’m going to need it.
    Michael ºoº

• Oct '12 Port Orleans Riverside
    • Aug '11 Disneyland (D23 Expo) / WDW Pop Century
    • Apr '10 Pop Century
    • Sept '09 Disneyland (D23 Expo)
    • Oct '08 Pop Century
    • March 2007 - Pop Century
    • Nov 2003 - All Star Movies - Honeymoon
    • Nov 2001 - All Star Movies
    • Nov 2000 - Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, hey!

15 weeks of training left! (and you really can't count that last week, so it is really 14...YIKES!)

Hope everyone is doing well!
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, countdown is 99 days until the first day of the WDW Marathon Weekend!

Double digit dancing!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! It's coming up so fast!

I suppose it's a good thing I had to back out of the marathon weekend. I've been dealing with some really major Plantar Fascitis issues in my left foot for 3 weeks now. It's the worst I've ever had it. I've been biking and walking regularly, and had started feeling better. Yesterday, I ran on the treadmill for only 2 miles, figuring I'd start up slow. Pain is back in full force this morning. I've tried everything I know to do, so I suppose I'm just going to have to completely lay off the running until it's totally healed. What a bummer.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pf

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Wow! It's coming up so fast!

I suppose it's a good thing I had to back out of the marathon weekend. I've been dealing with some really major Plantar Fascitis issues in my left foot for 3 weeks now. It's the worst I've ever had it. I've been biking and walking regularly, and had started feeling better. Yesterday, I ran on the treadmill for only 2 miles, figuring I'd start up slow. Pain is back in full force this morning. I've tried everything I know to do, so I suppose I'm just going to have to completely lay off the running until it's totally healed. What a bummer.
    I have a friend who is rehabbing PF with golf balls. She rubs her foot back and forth on it. I hope it helps with the pain. Also there's always
    GC Disneyland 10/15
    #runICOT 1/15
    OKW 7/14
    BWV #runICOT 1/14
    VBR and BCV 7/13
    AoA 10/12 iCOT 15th!
    BCV, BLT, Dream 8/11
    BWV 9/09
    AKV & DCL Magic 5/09
    POR 11/08 (no KIDS)
    BWV 6/08
    SSR 11/07
    AKL - 5/06
    Offsite 6/05
    ASM 7/99
    Offsite 3/97

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
    Where does the time go? It has been 8 weeks since my last update – so much for my intentions of more frequent posts! But this time I have a good excuse. Just over two weeks ago we welcomed our second child into the world, Jacob. A healthy little boy and a very happy time for our family – although the lack of sleep is catching up to us all.
    Congratulations on the baby boy, and for keeping up with your training!

I've been steady- no major achievements to report, but no recent bumps in the road either.

Question about treadmill training- Do you think it's better to hit your goal distance with no incline first, or run on an incline and work up to the distance? Or is it just a matter of preference? I've been trying to do a minimal incline but I have to admit ticking off those 1/2 miles is what really keeps me pumped on the boring treadmill and the incline slows that down, obviously.

I need to find a good place to run outside around here... the neighborhood we are in now isn't as conducive to running as our old apartment complex. The weather has been PERFECT for outside running lately, but the local lake has major hills and is a literal pain to run, so we've been sticking to the gym.
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: