Quantcast Epcot

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Epcot

Post Thanks / Like

Default Epcot

I walk in the house this am and boy meets world is on tv. They are in epcot. After getting over my rush of excitement to see it, I realize that it was shot prior to the installation of the picture monolithes. I like it so much better. I have never liked them and seeing it without them makes me not like them even more.

I like the sidewalk in front of the MK but that canyon area rubs me the wrong way. Anyone else feel this way?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    St Pete Beach FL- Too close and too far away
    Post Thanks / Like

I hate those picture monoliths at Epcot..As you walk up to them, before you are close enough to see that they are pictures, it looks like some weird alien writting...It makes me feel like I will soon be bowing to some strange ant like overlord...I dislike them greatly!!!

But I don't want to go among mad people!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cheshire_Girl View Post
    I hate those picture monoliths at Epcot..As you walk up to them, before you are close enough to see that they are pictures, it looks like some weird alien writting...It makes me feel like I will soon be bowing to some strange ant like overlord...I dislike them greatly!!!
    I guess I'm in the minority, but I've always found them kind'a cool and intriguing.
    EJ in Houston

3-16 -- Port Orleans Riverside
    11-12 -- Pop Century
    11-11 -- Animal Kingdom Lodge
    11-09 -- All-Star Sports
    11-07 -- All-Star Sports
    11-05 -- All-Star Sports
    09-95 -- Off Property
    3 prior visits as a child beginning in '72 -- Polynesian/Contemporary Resorts

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, not me. We have a picture of our boys there from their first trip. Think it was 2002. Anyway, I love the fact that my boys are forever a part of WDW. We stop there every trip to point out the picture. They are teens now and I hope someday when they are adults, they can take their little ones to see our piece of WDW. I love the picture of them , it really captured how they were at 3 and 4.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disney obsessed View Post
    I like the sidewalk in front of the MK but that canyon area rubs me the wrong way.
    Not quite sure what you're referring to here? "Canyon area" in front of MK?
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

The sidewalk in front of the MK and around bay lake has the names of families and the like who have purchased a brick. The area in Epcot, in front of Spaceship earth, has the 'canyon' area. When I walk through there, I feel like i am being swallowed by the monolithes that carry the pictures of families who have purchased a photo spot.

I love the idea, just not how it is displayed.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Epcot

We love the pictures, our whole family is on there, the kids at two different times in their lives. We love to find them every few trips.

Post Thanks / Like

YES! Finally, poster coming to the defense of our family tiles. From the first time I walked into Epcot in 2002, I thought the monoliths were the coolest thing - like 2001: Space Odyssey or something. Two years later, my and my wife got are picture put on them. I love seeing it every time we go.

And I've seen the before pictures. Yes, it looks nice. But I like the monoliths better.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    I thought the monoliths were the coolest thing - like 2001: Space Odyssey or something.
    This is the EXACT reason they make me smile. It was my dad's favorite movie and he was so excited about the monoliths. I've come to be excited about them for the same reason.

Monolith, representing advances in science and technology. Maybe I'm way off base, but it does trigger a great sense of symbolism in me.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with the OP, so much better without them. The MK tiles don't bother me, not a visual distraction from afar. But at Epcot, I think they're ugly and not at all appealing. They could have found a much better way to do something like that. Of course, I understand people who have a personal interest feeling differently about it.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

sorry, but no! We have 8 family pics on them since 2001. It was my DH's gift to me just before I had my breast cancer surgery and began my treatments. Ours and our then 8 yr old daughter's are side-by-side, and we love finding them and photographing them on each visit. My understanding is that they will all eventually be relocated, but for now, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE seeing them when we come down.
    1974 - Off Property
    1975 - Poly
    1980 - Golf Resort (Honeymoon)
    1881 - Golf Resort
    1982 - Poly
    1983 - Contemporary
    1989 - CBR (10th anniversay)
    1998 - CBR (DD 1st trip )
    2001 - CBR
    2003 - WL
    2004 - WL (25th anniversary)
    2005 - WL
    2006 - WL
    2010 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disney obsessed View Post
    I love the idea, just not how it is displayed.
    Good way of saying it. I wish they'd remove them like yesterday. I remember the area being nice and open.

They stopped selling the tiles years ago. I thought there was wording on the original contracts that stated they would only be around for a certain amount of time. Of course, we know how things change on a dime at WDW.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    They stopped selling the tiles years ago. I thought there was wording on the original contracts that stated they would only be around for a certain amount of time. Of course, we know how things change on a dime at WDW.
    *Twenty-five* years :/

The bricks on the walkway at Magic Kingdom are called "Walk Around the World". They stretch from the walkway at the shore of Seven Seas Lagoon in front of the Monorail station to the Magic Kingdom bus stops. And there are also a lot over at the Transportation and Ticket Center.

The "monoliths" at EPCOT are called "Leave a Legacy".

Just a bit of trivia, if you're into this sort of thing

Right out in front of Magic Kingdom (between Seven Seas Lagoon/Contemporary Resort launch dock/Ft. Wilderness resort launch dock) and the turnstiles is a Magic Kingdom "castle" logo on the pavement. In the "Walk Around the World" bricks around the logo, are Michael and Jane Eisner's brick, and Roy E. and Patty Disney's brick. Kinda cool to see
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cheshire_Girl View Post
    Amen. I'm glad i'm not the only one who things that. I always forget and think, "what is this alien thing, then. oh yeah..."

Post Thanks / Like

I love the Monoliths, actually. They give a weird old/futuristic combo feel that adds to the massive Spaceship Earth behind them. Plus having driven racecars for years the path between them feels sort of like a straightaway leading into Epcot. I'm a bit of a nerd, though.
    Last Ride Ridden - Test Track
    Last Eatery Visited - Tangerine Cafe

July 1984 (off WDW)
    June 1995 (off WDW)
    July 2005 (Pop Century)
    April 2008 (offsite)
    Feb 2009 (All Star Music)
    Feb 2010 (POP)
    Sept/Oct 2010 (Sports)
    Jan/Feb 2012 (ASMovies)
    Sep/Oct 2013 (offsite)
    Feb 2015 (POFQ)