Quantcast Site question

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Site question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Site question

My parents are looking at a 40+ foot fifth wheel. Are the sites in FW pull thru or do you need to back a beast of that size up into the sites?
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

"Too many people grow up. That 's the trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

no pull thru sites. Get a premium site, sites are much larger and room to back in.
    Dec. 2006 WL, Feb. 2006 FW, Feb. 2005 FW, feb 2004 FW ,feb 2003 FW ,feb 2002 FW ,feb 2001FW ,feb 2000 FW,feb1999 FW,feb 1998 Dixie,FW 1997All Star 1996

Post Thanks / Like

As said, all sites are back in, but they are flat and easy to get into.
    BKJ

Wilderness Lodge May '13
    FW Campsite Jan '13
    FW Cabins May '11
    FW Campsite Dec '10
    Offsite Nov '10
    FW Cabins May '10
    FW Cabins Dec '09
    FW Cabins May '09
    FW Campsite Dec '08
    FW Cabins May '07
    Swan Dec '06
    FW Cabins May '06
    Offsite June '99
    FW Campsite Aug '79
    Contemporary '76

Post Thanks / Like

With the way the loops were constructed they are very easy to back in. If your parents are able to pull a 40 ft fifth wheel they will have no issue with this.
    Feb 2020 - FWC
    Jul 2019 - Poly
    2018 - WL - CL
    2017 - FWC
    2016 - WL

2012 - WL - CL
    2010 - WL
    2009 - WL
    2007 - WL
    2003 - WL
    2001 - FWC
    1974, 77, 83 & 1995 - Off site

Post Thanks / Like

First, let me refer you to the App Store for an iphone app called Fort Wilderness Sites. Also available for android. I have no connection to the app, so I get nothing from this, but the app has dimensions for every site at the Fort, rating for the ease of access, and pictures of the sites.

Historically, the Fort was not built all at once. The original sites are the lower numbers closer to the Settlement and built in the 70s when RVs were much smaller. Larger sites are farther away and higher number loops. Premium sites are lower numbers and smaller and closer together, Full hook up sites are 1600-1900 loops, larger sites with more room between them. So it depends on what you want re. amenities and proximity to the Settlement area.

All sites are not easy to get into, especially with a 40 foot fiver. I was assigned once to a site across from the comfort station when I had a pop up and couldnt get in without taking out a rail fence. If, however, you are assigned a spot you cannot get into, find a spot on the loop that will work for you, go to the comfort station phone and call the front desk and see if they can assign the site to you. I have done this a couple times. They will also send someone out to assist you in backing in.

Position of the site on the loop is key. Not all sites are created equal. Just because a site is big enough for you doesn't mean you will be able to negotiate a turn to get into it. But don't fret, the Fort staff will accomodate you and find you a place that will work.
    Jim

Lead, follow, or get out of the way!

Post Thanks / Like

I've pulled large campers and other trailers with my truck for years. Backing a large trailer is a skill that should be practiced and learned before trying to back one in to a space/area where you can cause damage to your equipment or other property. Some orange cones and a big empty parking lot work well for practice. Having a 2nd (or 3rd) person act as a guide is also very helpful in avoiding damage. I've had several friends who bought large campers and didn't really learn to back them, thinking they would just never park anywhere they would need to back up. Invariably they would end up in just such a situation, resulting in dents and damage to their camper as well as other vehicles, or fences or buildings, etc. NOT a good situation, liability wise, not to mention the loss of resale value for your own camper. With a little practice, and patience, one can learn to back a very large camper into a surprisingly tight space. Learn how to do it, and they won't have any problem getting into a camping space at Fort Wilderness if they take their time. If one doesn't have any intention to learn how to back one up, they really shouldn't be pulling one around on the highways. Sooner or later, you will end up in a situation where you have no choice but to back up.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CJDDS View Post
    First, let me refer you to the App Store for an iphone app called Fort Wilderness Sites. Also available for android. I have no connection to the app, so I get nothing from this, but the app has dimensions for every site at the Fort, rating for the ease of access, and pictures of the sites.
    THANKS CJDDS! I would have never have known that app existed - EXCELLENT tool for detailed information about the sites Just downloaded it to my phone.
    Feb 2020 - FWC
    Jul 2019 - Poly
    2018 - WL - CL
    2017 - FWC
    2016 - WL

2012 - WL - CL
    2010 - WL
    2009 - WL
    2007 - WL
    2003 - WL
    2001 - FWC
    1974, 77, 83 & 1995 - Off site

Post Thanks / Like

The rig info you give when reserving is fairly detailed, besides length there is also awning and slide info (which sides and how many). Our trailer was not long but our truck - one ton with 4 doors and full size bed - had a large turning radius. I am adept at backing (you're right joonyer - practice helps; I used a parking lot of a large Catholic church, during the week) and know that a large turning radius can make some sites difficult to get into.

The folks at the campground had the info about our trailer and the truck's turning radius and got us into sites that were easy to back into. One was on a curve - straight in backing. Easy peasy.

We were told that if we couldn't make the site work, let them know and they'd try to get us one we could get into.

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure you have someone with you to watch for the cable box and site marker post. I have seen these hit MANY times. Preferred sites up front are "generally" smaller and tighter, especially 300 loop.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: