Quantcast NextGen, Magic Band, and FP+ - Page 5

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stu29573 View Post
    But if you want the "whole experience" you have to play the game. Rather simplistic example: We didn't ride Toy Story Mania last trip because we never were able to get Fastpasses.
    There were excruciatingly long standby lines long before the advent of Fastpass -- and Fastpass+. For many people, their most vivod memories of visiting Walt Disney World are from waiting in line. It's nostalgic for some folks. It seems like these days, people ignore the fact that Space Mountain has had a 90-minute long line for decades.

You didn't miss Toy Story Mania because you couldn't get a Fastpass. You didn't ride because you balked at the wait time.
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    There were excruciatingly long standby lines long before the advent of Fastpass -- and Fastpass+. For many people, their most vivod memories of visiting Walt Disney World are from waiting in line. It's nostalgic for some folks. It seems like these days, people ignore the fact that Space Mountain has had a 90-minute long line for decades.

You didn't miss Toy Story Mania because you couldn't get a Fastpass. You didn't ride because you balked at the wait time.
    True enough, but with more attractions, there would be shorter lines.
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    PLEASE post a trip report when you return. I'm really interested to find out your experience over MLK weekend. We are also, for the most part, minimal planners, and I'd like to see what your take is on this vacation.
    Perhaps I will. In general, the key is getting to the parks early. I don't care what sort of technology Disney introduces -- get to the parks early, and you'll get on rides with minimal waits.

Post Thanks / Like

On this we will always agree.

Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine is coming up to visit her family for a few days... We'll be hanging out a bit.. She told me she has info regarding this NextGen stuff... Said I won't like what I hear... I'll have to wait til she tells me whatever... probably stuff we already know.. but if there is anything new, I'll pass it on if it sounds legit (or i can verify with people who do know what is going on)...

As for anything else said so far in this thread, be careful putting your blind trust in the mouse... That is all until later...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

This, along with controlled capacity would create shorter lines.

With LESS Fastpass, there would also be shorter lines.

Compare:
    Disneyland Park: 55 listed attractions, MAX capacity: 85,000 guests, 5 FASTPASS attractions

Magic Kingdom: 36 listed attractions, MAX capacity: 100,000 guests, 9 FASTPASS attractions.

Disneyland has a much better handle on crowd control and standby times. You don't need to rely on FP over there.

WDW is Fastpass obsessed. People have forgotten how to wait in lines.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    This, along with controlled capacity would create shorter lines.

With LESS Fastpass, there would also be shorter lines.

Compare:
    Disneyland Park: 55 listed attractions, MAX capacity: 85,000 guests, 5 FASTPASS attractions

Magic Kingdom: 36 listed attractions, MAX capacity: 100,000 guests, 9 FASTPASS attractions.

Disneyland has a much better handle on crowd control and standby times. You don't need to rely on FP over there.

WDW is Fastpass obsessed. People have forgotten how to wait in lines.
    Yep, this was my point. They actually are making things worse with Fastpass. Prime example: Peter Pan.
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, this was my point. They actually are making things worse with Fastpass. Prime example: Peter Pan.
    Yep. Along with Soarin. Toy Story Midway Mania.

I could go on.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Magic Bands

I experienced some of this first wave of “things to come” a couple nights ago while making dining reservations online. I had to update account info and accept the new Disney Experience Terms and Conditions (which I printed…It gave more info on the upcoming changes) before I could book anything. The site, which many already know, has changed a lot. It was different…I’m hoping for the better…but still soooo slow!!! I did like that they FINALLY got to the point where we don’t have to enter information and credit card numbers EVERY SINGLE TIME we make a new reservation!

I’m hoping that these changes will make things better but, so far, I’m not liking the bracelet idea! A few years ago, on a ski trip to Copper Mountain, CO, we received lift tickets that, apparently had RF chips in them for our dedicated BeeLine Passes (like a Fast Pass for those staying on property) because we hung them around our necks (or stuck them in our pockets) and, as we walked through the “scanners”, it would pick up the signal and release the turnstile to let us enter the line. It read through our coats so why can’t Disney do the same type of thing with cards? I’d rather have a card in an outer pocket of my purse and just hold it up to the scanning device….or around my neck. Those bracelets looked big and clunky. Plus, I don’t want any more tan lines that what I get with my watch. Since the new Terms and Conditions references “radio frequency cards and other devices”, I hope that the use of RF cards will still be an option and the bracelets will not be the final word on that.

OK, so, a while back, Melanie mentioned (on a podcast) that she needs to not be so quick to “poopoo” things. I guess I should take her advice. When we first had to start entering credit card numbers to make reservations, I wasn’t real happy about that but I’m now convinced that it’s the only way that we were able to get reservations at ‘Ohana, 1900 Park Fare, and LeCellier on our last minute(like 2wks out!) booking for I-15. It holds people accountable for reservations that they double book. Now guests are cancelling extras which frees up reservations closer to the dates. In my opinion, that was definitely a change for the better.

Trying not to “Poopoo” the changes and crossing my fingers for Better Magic!

Maria
    1980?–DL,1988 – DL,Nov. 2002(off-site),Oct.'04 WL, Oct.'07 WL,Feb. '09 Poly, Feb.'10 Poly,Dec. 2010 Contemp., April '11 DL. Sept.'11-Poly, Dec.'11-Yacht Club , June '12- POFQ,Aug. 2012-Disneyland ,Oct. 2012 I-15 BC NEXT UP: April 2013- The Disney Fantasy Cruise

Post Thanks / Like

For some reason the fact that WDW can track my every move doesn't bother me. I read an article talking about high schools using the same technology to track where students are in the building. Groups are up in arms about it. I have a high school age DD and it wouldn't bother me in the least. If you are where you are supposed to be when you are supposed to be there why do you care or what do you have to hide. Working with a high school that has 4000+ kids I can see where this technology would be helpful. IE: drug deals/usuage, theft, violence..

As a crazy planner..booking ADR's and fast passes well in advance wouldn't bother me either..it is part of the fun but we all like to travel differently...
    2008 Oct-POR & BC
    2009 Oct- CS
    2009 Dec- AKL & CRB
    2010 April - Dolphin
    2010 Oct- BWI
    2011 April - POR
    2011 Oct - AKL
    2012 April - Poly
    2012 Oct - AKL & YC
    2013 April - WL
    2013 Oct - AKL
    2014 Jan - CS
    2014 April - YC & POR
    2014 Oct - WL & YC
    2014 Dec - PORFQ
    2015 April - BC

Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind the wrist band but for the other things I at this point am not a big fan. Some of the stuff I have read seems that you must have a smart phone with you at all times to make things work. I don't have a smart phone and I don't bring my phone to the park. I like the idea of being immersed in my vacation away from the "real world". I like being spotaenous and making decsions on rides and food as they come. I know I will not be forced to participate in all the new technology so I am not overly concerned. But it does seem like I may be left in longer wait time lines if i keep going in the "classic " way.
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Cruise Disney Wonder 2006
    Wilderness Lodge, 04, 06, 08, 10
    Allstar Movies 02
    Allstar Sports 96. 98, 00
    Offsite 2015 x2, 90,89, 85

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Perhaps I will. In general, the key is getting to the parks early. I don't care what sort of technology Disney introduces -- get to the parks early, and you'll get on rides with minimal waits.
    This was our tried-and-true MO for every trip, and during our trip in June 2011, we got to the MK right before opening ... with swarms of other people. I was shocked, because in many years of visiting, I was used to practically having the park to ourselves that first hour or so. This time was definitely different.

That's part of why I'm very interested in your experience visiting over a semi-popular weekend. Want to see if the conventional wisdom is still holding true to judge whether our experience on that trip was an exception.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

St Pete Beach FL- Too close and too far away
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, To me, the whole Disneyworld experience has gotten too complicated.
    I agree...I don't want to be "connected 24/7". I want to see Goofy wandering around the park. I don't want the fancy perk if it means I have to watch the clock in the park to make sure I arrive at the designated place on time. I'll wait in line for Splash Mountain-if I know the laughing place is what it should be-dancing fountains and all...However, it seems like those days are gone and I can either stop going and stop searching for that lil bit of magic-or I can embrace the fact that change happens whether I like it or not. I refuse to let all the magic drain out of the World. I will always look for it in the Tiki Room, and on the monorail, and walking down main street. And count myself lucky that its still there for those of us who wish to find it...
    And as for all the big brother conspiracy stuff floating around on this subject-Really, if me wearing a bracelet helps them figure out that Stitch is horrible and his presence just craps up the place...then I say TRACK AWAY!

But I don't want to go among mad people!

Post Thanks / Like

WDW is going technology mad

As an international guest I don't want to wear a bracelet for 14 days without the possibility of removing it. Considering that some of that time I will be outside WDW.

I can cope with booking ADRs up to T-180 days but booking FP+ that far out is stupid

I refuse to use android apps and pay the ridiculously high data roaming charges.

As previously commented on... What's wrong with ditching FPs all together and allowing the lines to flow FREELY without FPs blocking them.

WDW should spend the money on improving the attractions and reopen some mothballed areas like the theatre in Studios that was last used for the Hunchback production.
    Soarin' to Tower

Next Trips: 2017 The other half has allowed me back!
    Offsite 1998, 2004, 2015 (Universal)
    AKL 2001, 2003, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2013
    Beach Club 2008
    Yacht Club 2010, 2011, 2012
    DLR California 2004, 2014
    DLR Paris 2006, 2008, 2010
    DLR HK 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zawadi View Post
    ... reopen some mothballed areas like the theatre in Studios that was last used for the Hunchback production.
    Which was the best theater show in WDW... Still can't understand why it was shuttered, except it was probably an expensive production with all the people necessary..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cheshire_Girl View Post
    And as for all the big brother conspiracy stuff floating around on this subject-Really, if me wearing a bracelet helps them figure out that Stitch is horrible and his presence just craps up the place...then I say TRACK AWAY!
    Or, just ask, I'll tell you that Stitch is horrible and his presence craps up the place. That could have saved them over a billion dollars!

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if this was mentioned here yet but did I hear right today on the news that parents can upload their kids name or something and when the kid with the wristband gets close to a character, the character will get a message in an earpiece and they can call the kid by name or something like that?
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

The ONLY thing that bothers me about the new system is making fast pass reservations far in advance (if that is indeed how it will be done).

I plan my trip to incredible precision. However, sometimes plans change.

If I plan on visiting the Animal Kingdom on a Monday and have a fast pass reserved for Everest 60 days in advance, but the weather forecast that is released just a few days prior calls for rain showers all day, I will no longer want to visit the Animal Kingdom because, in my opinion, the Animal Kingdom is the worst park in the rain.

Even if you book an ADR for 6pm in a park, it does not necessarily mean you are spending the other hours of the day at that park. So while it might make sense to book an ADR, people who like to park hop throughout the day based on crowds and such would be at a disadvantage.

I think if the window to reserve a fast pass was 48 hours in advance, or even a week in advance, it might be OK. But having to reserve a fast pass months in advance when weather conditions are unknown, Fantasmic and other parade times change, and even park hour and EMH hours/days change, it is not practical to reserve a fast pass for a specific park too far in advance.

I would love to see ADRs tied to a fast pass, however. I think it would be great that if you book an ADR, you then had the option immediately after to select one attraction in that park you would like to go to. For example, if you booked an ADR at 50s Prime Time Cafe online for 6pm, you would also have the option of selecting to receive a fast pass for ToT for the hours of 7-8pm since it is known by the guest and the resort that you will definitely be in the park at that exact time.

Post Thanks / Like

Some more info:

Guests with room reservation + theme park ticket will be able to participate in MyMagic+ (info regarding AP holders has not been released)

Guests will receive the wristbands at HOME, prior to the trip (like the luggage tags). Guests will be able to check in online 60 days in advance of arrival. The Magic Band will allow guests the opportunity to BYPASS the check in desk entirely, opting to receive a text message or email with your resort room number when it's ready. You will be able to go straight to your room when it's ready.

Fastpasses will be bookable 60 days in advance, no more. (info up to date at this time) You will only be able to do this once you are within 60 days of your vacation.

Disney will ask the name and date of birth of everyone in your party. This will be used for the purpose of identifying birthdays and knowing guests names ahead of time for ADRs, character meets, etc.

You will only be able to book 3 FP per person/day. You can only pre book FP for ONE park per day.

Disney has said that you WILL have the flexibility to change your FP day of.

In addition, Disney has addressed the privacy concerns, noting that guest privacy is of top priority. I have heard that you will be able to CHOOSE how much information will be "viewable" through your Magic Band. I.E. you may be able to leave off names/dates of birth from being accessible, opting to be identified instead only by a number tied to your resort folio.

The ability to withhold charging privileges will be the same as it currently is. You can choose to deactivate a magic band from being allowed to charge to the room, which I believe will be the default for children on a reservation.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    The Magic Band will allow guests the opportunity to BYPASS the check in desk entirely, opting to receive a text message or email with your resort room number when it's ready. You will be able to go straight to your room when it's ready.
    I'm sorry, but that's awesome.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: