Quantcast Stay Together?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stay Together?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stay Together?

So we leave for WDW in 16 days!!!!!!! My question is would it be better to all stay together while in the parks or go our separate ways? My parents want us all to stay together but with there being eight of us, and so different in age, would it be better for the older "kids" to go ride the bigger rides that the two younger kids can't?
    Paige Matthews "Princess from Tennessee"
    December 2008 Off Site
    October 2010 Pop Century
    September 2011 Pop Century
    December 2012 Pop Century

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

When my youngest was not old enough to do the 'big' rides with his 2 older brothers, we'd split for a specific time frame. Sometimes we'd do it 1st thing in the AM and meet up @ lunch or split right after lunch and regroup around 3:00. That allowed us to spend most of our time together while also avoiding the frustration that can occur from waiting for the entire group to get to what only a few can do....and also avoids the standing around that occurs when waiting for some of the group to get off of a ride that not everyone can / wants to ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe a compromise> all in adventureland with a certain bench to meet and regroup at. The older ones can pair up to run off for short times.
    Boardwalk
    Animal Kingdom Jambo
    Coronado Springs
    POP
    POP
    POP
    POP
    Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

It can be difficult to move a larger group along in a timely manner. In my vast group travel experience, somebody always lags behind, nobody can make a decision, and time is wasted. Still, it's great to experience things as a group. I'd do both but create a loose plan for the things you'd like to do as a group and what you'll do on your own.
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

With a group diverse in ages and interest, it often works better to split up. The older kids might not be happy riding It's A Small World while they'd rather be on Splash Mountain. The younger kids won't be happy if they have to "hang out" while the older ones are doing the more thriling rides.

We only had a family group of five when we went with my brother's family last year (which included a 5 year old) and split up quite a bit. They tended to get to the parks later in the morning than we did. The 5 year loved Splash Mountain and they went on it multiple times but one ride satisfies me. He was not tall enough for some rides that my husband and I enjoy so we would do those during times of separation. We kept saying "That's what cell phones are for"! There are times we did travel as a group and, during those times, we tended to go at the 5 year old pace but we only had the one child with us!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the responses I'm thinking that when we get there and they realize that the older kids (13,19,19,20) do not want to ride the same rides as the two younger ones (2,9), they will let us go off on our own.
    Paige Matthews "Princess from Tennessee"
    December 2008 Off Site
    October 2010 Pop Century
    September 2011 Pop Century
    December 2012 Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Princess from Tennessee View Post
    Thanks for all the responses I'm thinking that when we get there and they realize that the older kids (13,19,19,20) do not want to ride the same rides as the two younger ones (2,9), they will let us go off on our own.
    I'm thinking you might want to be proactive on this and make a plan in advance instead of waiting for once you get there. Your parents might not realize how this could go down, but you do and if you wait, you might end up with some chaos and missing out on doing some things all together once people splinter off.

Maybe look at each park and decide on a few places/attractions where you will meet up and do things together, and which ones you might attack in smaller groups separately. That way, once things do end up the way you envision, you can reassure your parents that you will still have plenty of together time because you're meeting back up for a, b, and c even though you are splitting up for d,e, and f. Spontaneity is great, but with larger groups, having a solid plan in place often works out for the best.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Also, don't be surprised if the 9 year old wants to do the same rides as the older "kids". By the time my kids were 9 they had been riding every ride in the parks for a few years. Unless the 9 year old is timid (or really short) they will be tall enough and old enough to do all the big rides too. I highly doubt the 9 year old would want to hang with the 2 year old on the "baby rides" all day! LOL.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

I see a very long, painful, and stressful trip if you all stay together all the time. The older kids are going to need their freedom. The best thing to do is make plans of things that will be done as a family and when. This way you can meet up at those locations at that time. The question after that is which age is the cutoff to go off alone for a while?
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the other posters! Definitely, splitting up is going to be the easiest way for everyone to stay happy! But I'm sure for your parents, they are going to be happiest when they get to spend time with their WHOLE family... Or maybe even go with the big kids to ride some bigger rides! Talk it over with them before you go, that way you know what everyone wants to do and you can make a list of "family attractions" to do all together! After all, it does seem family vacations are most fun when everyone is happy and involved.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

We don't have a huge difference in ages on this trip, but teenagers always like to have a little freedom. Our plan is to tour together until after lunch. Our teens, who are very responsible, can roam around on their own all afternoon and meet back with us at dinner. Of course, we'll be flexible even within this plan. Have a great trip!
    Wrong will be right, when Aslan comes in sight,
    At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more,
    When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death,
    And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.

Micki

Post Thanks / Like

Let the teens go off on their own for specified amounts of time to meet up later, perhaps for lunch.

Try to do small pockets of "everyone together" time as well. Like, if you go to MK for the day, stay together for the morning, have lunch, and then split up for the afternoon.
    CBR - February 1992
    CBR - April 1993
    AS Music - February 1994
    AS Movies - February 2000
    Contemporary/DCL - April/May 2001
    AS Movies - January 2003
    CBR/DCL - September 2005
    Pop Century - May 2007
    Art of Animation - May 2013
    AS Movies - September 2013
    Pop Century - April/May 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Try to do small pockets of "everyone together" time as well. Like, if you go to MK for the day, stay together for the morning, have lunch, and then split up for the afternoon.
    I have to agree with this advice especially if your parents are really looking forward to family time. On our 2 big family trips, we had a lot of hurt feelings because a few people thought that once we got to WDW, they should be able to do their own thing without any together time. The matriarch of the family was very upset that she didn't get enough time with everyone together. It made for a couple of miserable days and lots of tears.

Just be sure everyone is on the same page before heading off WDW to ensure that expectations aren't too high either way.

And have a GREAT trip!!

Post Thanks / Like

Once my older kids turned into teens, I let them go off by themselves for a couple of hours at a time. During our trip last year, when I went with my sister's family, we had seven kids -- ages 16, 15, 15, 14 and 12, and then two little ones -- ages 7 and 6. The big kids all got to go off and do rides rides on their own as a group and then met up with the rest of us at a certain time. We still had plenty of family together time, rode lots of rides together and had all meals together.

If your parents feel uneasy that they'll be missing what the big kids are doing, you can take a camera or take pics with your phones and show them later so they won't feel like they're missing out on being with you. That's what my kids did and I felt better that I got to see the fun they were having.

Have a great trip!
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

And sometimes parents want to do the fun rides too, but can't because of 2 year olds and potentially timid 9 year olds. Sometimes parents are happy to let the big kids have some time on their own, if they also have time on their own - hint hint!

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

We often travel in large family groups and have always made a point to have some family time and some time to tour the parks on our own. Touring together for the morning and then separating after lunch often works the best for us.
    We have even found that our 1 and 3 year old don't always want to do the same things! DH and I made the point on our last trip to each take one of them for a few hours to have some time to do whatever they wanted to do.

Kristin
    Momma to two sweet boys: Myers and Jacob
    36 trips and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for splitting up. I use to do it in my teenage years with my siblings and cousins and it was fun. It worked because we had been so many times plus we designated a place and time to meet up afterwards. Nowadays, people have cell phones in case there is issues.
    Rob
    2/90 - Fort Wilderness Cabin
    2/92, 94, 98 - Beach Club
    2/96 - Dixie Landings
    2/99, 00 - All Star Sports
    5/05 - Pop Century
    5/07 - Coronado Springs
    8/08 - Beach Club Villas
    4/10 - Wilderness Lodge Villas
    8/12 - Disneyland (offsite)
    11/13 - Beach Club Villas

DVC Member

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Janmac View Post
    And sometimes parents want to do the fun rides too, but can't because of 2 year olds and potentially timid 9 year olds. Sometimes parents are happy to let the big kids have some time on their own, if they also have time on their own - hint hint!

Jan
    Jan, good point. Maybe some of the older kids could look after younger ones sometimes and give parents some alone time. I'm sure they would be very appreciative! Lovely thought.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I'm one of 8 kids too. When we went when I was younger, we did both. We had some group time, but then my parents let us split off for a bit as well
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

When I was your age and went with the parents, we would stay together most of the day, but split up for park opening and extra magic hours. That's the time that you can ride the most thrill rides in the least amount of time. Plus, that way the parents/little ones can get more sleep. Just don't plan to meet "in front of the castle" or "by the big ball." Everyone else does that, and it'll be chaos.
    Susan °o°

You cheated.
    Pirate.

8/98 CBR; 10/00 ASM; 11/01 POR; 7/07 POR; 10/09 ASM; 10/10 Pop; 6/12 ASM; 12/13 ASM; 6/14 FWC; 7/15 FWC; 12/16 2 weeks at FWC!