Quantcast Live or Artificial Tree?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Live or Artificial Tree?

So, with Thanksgiving behind us, it's time to start decorating for Christmas (hint, hint Disney ).

We've had a pre-lit artificial for years now, but last year some of the sections burned out and we couldn't figure out how to repair, so it ended up on the curb. I think that now we're in colder weather again (therefore feeling a bit more Christmasy), we're going to go for a real tree again this year.

So which do you prefer and why - a live or artificial (pre-lit) tree?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

For a number of years, we always had live trees - we even tagged and cut them down ourselves. Then we had relatives who moved quite a distance away and found ourselves often traveling for the holiday. We didn't feel comfortable leaving a live tree at home unattended so went to artificial. We've had artificial ever since and do not miss the daily tree watering routine as well as the dropped needles that you continue to find in July no matter how well you've vacuumed. This year, we just replaced that first artificial tree with a pre-lit one. We also have another, larger, artificial (not pre-lit) that we put up in our family room and a table top (also artificial that we once took to Disney with us for a Christmas holiday) that sits in our hallway.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Live

Why? Love the smell and look of a REAL tree. My kids have never had a fake tree. I think they'd freak out even as adults. We always cut fresh the day we get it so never have a messy needle issue. Plus we live in the country and that's all we've ever had. Although my parents go the fake route now.

Our tree will go up next Sunday.

¨¨*:•

"Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy!"

Post Thanks / Like

We always had a live tree. Frasier Fir. Like Carol, my kids had always only had a real tree. But I'm the only one who will do the lights and I was fed up. So two years ago, we bought a very pricey Hammacher Schlemmer prelit frasier fir tree.

And the lights on top went out partially. Lifetime guarantee on that sucker, so I called them and said what now? They said to buy a new tree and send the other one back (their best solution to not go through Christmas without a tree). Well, now I have two trees with partially lit tops because tree #2's lights only lasted a few weeks and I never got around to returning tree #1 (the thing weighs a ton, and getting it boxed right was a nightmare). So I have two very expensive pre lit trees with a lighting problem on top and I'm headed for another holiday season in which I have to decide if I'm going to call Hammacher Schlemmer and see what they can do, or try to solve my lighting problem (time consuming, and I have very little time). They are lovely, very real looking fake trees-- if only they lit properly. Fa la la la la...
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

We have 2 fake trees...the first one is beautiful 8ft, big and full, and aside from not having a pine smell, everyone mistakes it for real!! That one goes in our formal living room, right in front of the window. Two years ago, I decided I wanted an other tree for our family room, where we spend most of our time.

This year, my hubby and I have decided to get a live tree for our indoor patio, we can plant it after the holiday.

We decided to go the artifical tree route after a very tight Christmas. Our daughter was 1, my hubby had just been laid off and we didn't think we'd have money for a tree. We went to a tree lot and basically bargined the funkiest looking tree for $40. A couple years later when we were a little better off financially but hubby was still in danger of getting laid off, we put our beautiful tree on layaway so we wouldn't have to worry about not having a tree again.

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely agree on Fraser Firs. Hardly any needle droppage - even on removal day when it's tipped all sides of wrong to get it out the front door.
    ¨¨*:•

"Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy!"

Post Thanks / Like

I've never had a real tree. My mother is dreadfully allergic to pine and since we live in a smaller house, we've never really had the space to store/water a living tree. We've gone through four artificial trees since I came along about 24 years ago. The one we have now is prelit, which makes me much easier on my father since all he has to do is put it together and then plug it in.

I can honestly say I've never felt left out or anything because of our lack of a real tree. I'll probably prefer to have fake ones when I have a house/family just because I like the look of them better. Nothing against the real thing--I've just never had anything different!
    TTFN,
    Rose

1998 (10 YO & 1st time!)
    2002 (14 YO & 2nd time)
    June 12 2006 (18 & by myself!)

Post Thanks / Like

We did a real tree all through my younger years. Around the time I turned 16 or 17 we decided to go the articulate route (not pre-lit). I love the smell of the Christmas pine smell, so I bought christmas plugins from bath and body works ages ago and plug that in behind the tree, you would swear its a real tree. I have had many people think and ask if it was real because they couldn't tell the difference. That year we went fake was my father was sick with leukemia, so going out and getting a real tree wasn't in the cards for us. So ever since we have had the fake one. I like it. I'm indifferent between real and fake.
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

We got an artificial tree several years ago and it's really beautiful. It looks like a real tree. When we decided on a fake one, it was because we had little ones at home, one of whom liked to put EVERYTHING in his mouth. I did not want to deal with ingesting pine needles, branches, splinters etc. But, my caveat was that we were going to buy the nicest, most realistic looking fake tree we could find. So, we did just that. It was pricey, but a great investment. We are going on 5 years now, and it is still a beautiful tree. We light evergreen scented candles from Bath and Body Works and you can't tell the difference.

We had real trees every year when I was a kid growing up. Such a pain in the neck to deal with and they always made such a mess. One year, our tree was so dried out (even with watering) that it almost caught fire! I don't want to ever have to worry about that. Not to mention, I'm not so fond of tying things to the roof of my car and trying to wrangle with them when we get home. Plus, I get skeeved out thinking about stuff that might be living in the tree, and then infesting my house. I find it odd that no one thinks twice about this. Would you chop down a random tree or bush any other time of the year and put it in your living room???
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Due to severe allergies (mine), we have an artificial tree (pre-lit) as our main tree in our family room. We also have 4 different sized sequinned trees (cuz nothing says Christmas like hot pink sequins!) that go in the living room.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

I love live trees, but an artificial is a much more practical solution for us. We used to make a family trek to a tree farm to cut our own, which was great but no longer an option for us.

And with the live trees, I keep picturing two scenes from National Lampoon's "Christmas Vacation" - (1) the scene with the squirrel jumping out of the tree onto Clark Griswold's face, and (2) when Uncle Louis lights his cigar too close to the tree.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

Being the oldest Intercotee I think we've done them all.
    I grew up with only live trees that Santa used to bring on Christmas Eve when we were little. (I have no clue as to how my Dad pulled that one off.)
    The first year we were married in 1962 we were so broke that the only thing we could afford was one of those $3.99 aluminum jobs and one .99 cent box of pink ornaments. It was 3 years before we were able to get a live tree. For the next 25 years we went to a Christmas tree farm and would cut one down.
    Then we moved to Hawaii where the trees arrived on a boat from the mainland the day after Thanksgiving. These trees smelled from the fumes from the bug spraying they got so they would pass agriculturial inspection. So you had to put them in the tree stand in the backyard and hose them off really well and let them absorb enough water to "bring them back to life". We continued doing this until the year my daughter got married the day after Christmas. With all the other things going on I felt that having a fake tree would be the way to go. For the time since that fake tree from Pep Boys I didn't get my annual Christmas headache. We have been using a fake one ever since, even being back on the mainland again, and don't regret it one bit.
    We now usually have 2 trees. The one in the family room with all the ornaments I have gathered over 50 years. And one in the living room for which I have taken the idea from Disney and a trip to Michael's made into a pointsettia tree.
    This year I only have the one in the living room up as we are leaving for WDW to belatedly celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary starting Jan. 1 with the family. I just can not think about having to take down the over the top decorating I usually do each year when trying to get ready for the trip. Or worse would be leaving it up and having to face it after we get home.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey'sGirl View Post
    Due to severe allergies (mine), we have an artificial tree (pre-lit) as our main tree in our family room. We also have 4 different sized sequinned trees (cuz nothing says Christmas like hot pink sequins!) that go in the living room.
    You are awesome. That is all.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

We usually do a live tree but since we'll be gone for two weeks mid December (WDW!!) we bought an inexpensive artificial tree for this holiday.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

ºoº

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been so "bah hum bug" about Christmas. I have no desire to decorate any more. Right now all I have is a small twig fiber optic tree. We do put lights on the ouside of the house though. When we did have a tree, it was a pre-lit artifical.
    Jodie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey'sGirl View Post
    (cuz nothing says Christmas like hot pink sequins!) .

Quote Originally Posted by TheDuckRocks View Post
    I just can not think about having to take down the over the top decorating I usually do each year . . .
    When we married (only 40 yrs ago) we bought a really awesome expensive (to us then) artificial tree that did look real. All the real trees were so pathetic looking and I pointed out to DH that at the current exorbitant prices for real trees, the fake one would pay for itself in a few years. I used to put hundreds of lights and ornaments on it.

Lately, I'm too busy (tired?) to do all that tho my tree looked so awesome to me I'd turn the lights out and just look at it.

Now I not only have a little pre-lit table top tree (out of the way of puppies and great grandkids) but it's one of those fiber optic things. Hasn't burnt out yet. Occasionally I stick some ornaments on it but some years it stays undecorated. This year the tree topper is going to be a beautiful long tailed sparkly bird. Seems that kind of year.

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

Always had a live tree until about 15 years ago. Don't remember the exact reason we made the decision to change but I think a lot of it had to do with the cost of "live" trees. I do miss the fresh smell, but evergreen candles help with the illusion that the tree is real. And I definitely do not miss the watering and constant vacuuming and it is nice that the branches don't begin to droop after a few weeks.

Our first artificial tree did not have lights so we still had the chore of stringing those up. After about 10 years we retired our first tree and bought a pre-lit artificial tree. We were thrilled until the third year when pre-lit strands began going out. Now we string up lights over the dead attached lights. Makes me mad each year, but the tree is still in good enough condition that I don't want to go out and buy another. Thanks for letting me vent.
    Linda aka tinkwest
    INTERCOT Staff ~ Disneyland Resort

Come On Everybody - Here We Go!!

“To all who come to this happy place: Welcome. ...”

Support our INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

DH and I both were big fans of live trees growing up. My family ALWAYS bought a real tree. His family switched back and forth but he preferred real. When we finally moved into our apartment together, we got a real tree our first year. It was a nightmare getting it in and out. It was a Fraser Fir and we must have gotten a bad one because we got needles everywhere! It was also VERY sappy. We both kept getting sap all over us trying to put the lights on. The following year we found ourselves with a super active and curious puppy, and remembering how things were the year before we went with an artificial. I don't regret it.
    I LOVE ornaments, and collect many Hallmark in particular. I love that I don't have to worry about an ornament falling because the branch wasn't as strong as I thought it was, and being able to adjust the branches to make sure my ornaments are displayed just right. I also like that we can put it up early and enjoy it through the whole season, not needing to worry about it drying out. One day when we have a house and a family we will probably buy real trees again, but my ideal scenario would be to invest in a large and beautiful artificial tree for our main tree, and have a smaller live tree as a secondary. Lord knows I probably have enough ornaments to decorate 5 trees!
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Artificial, I am allergic to real evergreen and I get a severe asthmatic reaction.

I do "pine" for the scent of a real tree though. I have even been known to walk through tree lots as if I were going to purchase, knowing I could never take one of their lovelies home. When I begin to cough, I go home empty handed of course.
    first visIt: November 1973
    next planned visit: October, 2013 with friends
    resident Fairy Godmother

hearts are warmed when friends meet

see ya real soon

~*~*~*disneydeb*~*~*~

Post Thanks / Like

Pre-lit. We had a section go out since the last time we used our tree, so I pulled all the lights off and replaced them with LED lights. They'll stay on the tree when I put it away so it's still pre-lit and I won't have to string lights every year.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15