Quantcast Surprise At Check-In

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Surprise At Check-In

On our last trip, we took our 5 year old grandson with us on his FIRST Disney Trip!
    We had requested (2) beds and a Accessible Room. At Check-In, the young lady said we have your rooms ready! I said "we ONLY have one room mam". She called her supervisor who looked over her shoulder and informed us that DISNEY had "compt" us an adjoining room to accommodate our needs.
    We now had adjoining rooms, 3 beds, 2 full bathrooms and 2 TV's and room for all the CARS vehicles one could play with.
    I've read of surprise "Up-Grades" at check-in, but I never thought I'd see one.

Thanks Walt Disney World!

Any surprises on your check-in?

15 Days..... till we check-in again!
    1972- FW 1st WDW trip/Dad
    73-79 WDW Cast(Water Craft)
    1980 - 2005 - FW,ASM, PO,Poly
    Sept 28-Oct 6, 2007 - DW 50th
    Sept 6-19, 2009 ASM Calypso 25th Annv.
    Sept 23-Oct 1, 2011. Calypso w/Dash, his 1st Disney Trip
    Dec 9-19, 2012Christmas
    Oct 2-14, 2013 ASM
    Sep13-24. 30th Anniv. Sports

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Great story!

We went to BCV in May and had a 1BR reserved. I had requested a specific location, not realizing there were no 1BR in that spot... and when we walked in the villa, we found we had been upgraded to a 2BR. It was great to have that much space since we had 2 teens with us.

Post Thanks / Like

Getting surprise upgrades is so awesome!
    A couple years ago, on my graduation trip, we stayed at wilderness lodge. Upon check in the CM told us we had been upgraded to a suite with concierge floor access. We had such an awesome view and so much room! We got really lucky!
    First trip: 1999 AS Movies
    Stayed since at: AS Music, AS Sports, Contemporary, Fort Wilderness, Wilderness Lodge, Port Orleans FQ
    Next visit: October 15-22, 2016 [Port Orleans French Quarter]

"In dreams you will lose your heartache.."

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Thanks fantastic! What a magical surprise for your grandsons first trip to WDW!
    Eric
    Resorts:
    POLYNESIAN (Favorite), Grand Floridian, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs. Beach Club, Saratoga Springs, AoA, All Star Sports and POP Century

Post Thanks / Like

In 2001, we stayed at the Boardwalk Resort. When we booked our room, all we asked for was an AP-rate, non-parking-lot view room. But when we checked in, we were told they had a great room available for us. It was a corner room on the third floor (right above the Flying Fish), with a spectacular view of Crescent Lake. It blew us away and that experience still rates as one of our best stays on property.
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Oct 2008 - booked poly magic kingdom view for our 5th anniversary

When we checked in, we were expecting to get our cirque tickets with our package, and the CM informed us it was with the concierge...in our bulding!!!! it took me a minute to make the connection...cause regular poly buildings do not have a concierge desk... The woman smiled and said.. "Oh, you've been upgraded."

When we got to the room, walked out onto the balcony and saw the dead center view of the castle...I was speechless! The upgrade fairy had granted my wish! We got Concierge Magic Kingdom View! (Hawaii building)

Almost every night, we walked over a few rooms and down a flight of steps to the lounge to grab some snacks, then watched the fireworks from our third floor balcony.

I think we had just requested 'third floor'... I really loved it!!!!
    1980 Golf Resort(Was Disney Inn, now Shades of Green)
    1986 Contemporary
    1992 Swan
    1999 POFQ
    2003 (10/13-21) AKL Platinum Honeymoon (Grand Marshals - HS)
    2008 (10/7-15) Poly Platinum 5th Anniversary!
    2013 (10/6-13) Poly Platinum 10th Anniversary!
    2013 (10/13-17) Disney Dream

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't really gotten any big room upgrades except ave gotten preferred view rooms at values when just paid for standard.

The one big upgrade we got a few years back - paid for a lower level room with no window on a Dsney Cruise. We got a room with a balcony which was wonderful and there was a fruit tray and some type of wine or champagne waiting for us.

It was because we had paid full price for our room, the cruise in the lower levels was booked up because a lot of the passengers had gotten free vouchers because their previous cruise had been impacted by September 11th.
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

British Columbia, Canada (3408 miles from WDW!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow....that's awesome. I've never been upgraded, in fact I was downgraded. I paid for a preferred room and when I got there I was given a standard room. They did refund me the difference but I wasn't too happy about it.
    ~Lynne~

On deck, you scabrous dogs! Man the braces! Let down and haul to run free. Now...bring me that horizon

DCL 2008 Mexico, 2011 Alaska, 2013 Caribbean
    WDW 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
    Disneyland 2015, 2004,1993,1992, 1991,1973

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteRose1 View Post
    Oct 2008 - booked poly magic kingdom view for our 5th anniversary

When we checked in, we were expecting to get our cirque tickets with our package, and the CM informed us it was with the concierge...in our bulding!!!! it took me a minute to make the connection...cause regular poly buildings do not have a concierge desk... The woman smiled and said.. "Oh, you've been upgraded."

When we got to the room, walked out onto the balcony and saw the dead center view of the castle...I was speechless! The upgrade fairy had granted my wish! We got Concierge Magic Kingdom View! (Hawaii building)

Almost every night, we walked over a few rooms and down a flight of steps to the lounge to grab some snacks, then watched the fireworks from our third floor balcony.

I think we had just requested 'third floor'... I really loved it!!!!
    This made my jaw drop! All of these stories are wonderful! Congrats on all of your luck!

When we go, we go with a friend of mine who is a Hilton Platinum member, so we get free rooms as it is. However, I would LOVE to stay in a WDW resort (not the Hilton downtown...), but I'm not about to pass up free! Maybe one day soon we'll all pitch in for a big room.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Several years ago we were checking into the Caribbean Beach Resort when they told us they had overbooked for our stay. They then told us we had been upgraded to the Yacht Club garden view for the price of the CBR. When we got to our room we could see Epcot and the lake and were able to sit on our 3rd floor balcony and watch Illuminations.
    Caribbean Beach Resort (several times)
    Wilderness Lodge-twice
    Polynesian
    Contemporary
    Dixie Landings
    Coronado Springs
    Yacht Club
    Beach Club
    Pop Century

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." ~~Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

....although not occurring at my check-in (at the POP concierge counter), this past August we were offered a free up-grade to AoA from our room at POP. My brother was staying at AoA with his family (their first WDW visit) and had mentioned at his check-in that we were staying at POP. My brother has a son with autism and we were going to be their 'tour guide" for their first time there, and to help out where we could. I guess my brother mentioned it to someone at the concierge desk in AoA ...and they told him that they'd not only do a free upgrade for us to an AoA family suite, so we'd be near my brother, but that they'd actually "move" us over to AoA. (we were already unpacked and settled into our room at POP).

....now ...at that time, the AoA Lion King suites had only been opened for 10 days prior to their (my brothers family) and our arrival at POP, and maybe the 'popularity' of AoA hadn't caught on ....but there was no way that were at full occupancy (very strange) and could make that offer to us.

...by the way ....we tuned down the offer. We had visited my brother's room in the Lion King section ...and frankly ....we weren't thrilled by the 'decor' ...and we had a great, preferred room location in the 60's Building 4 at POP (ground floor, poolside, 1st room closest to the bar and main hall) ...and I guess we were just creatures of habit after 9 times at POP, and liked that better.

....but it's nice to know that WDW can, and does provide surprise perks now and then.
    April '04- POP
    "Jersey Week" '04 - ASM
    "Jersey Week" '05- POP
    "Jersey Week" '06- POP
    "Jersey Week"'07- DCL & POP
    "Jersey Week" '08- POP
    Dec '09- Jan '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '11- POP
    Aug-Sept '12- POP
    Aug-Sept '13- POP
    Aug '17 - POP

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice to see the magic when its unexpected. They do what they can when they can.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

Several years back, my family and I went to the Polynesian, and had a lagoon view room. When we went to check in, they told us that we were upgraded to the Club Level, theme park view. I had never seen my parents cry of joy like they did. We enjoyed the time there so much, that this year are actually paying extra for the club level.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thewolvescall13 View Post
    Several years back, my family and I went to the Polynesian, and had a lagoon view room. When we went to check in, they told us that we were upgraded to the Club Level, theme park view. I had never seen my parents cry of joy like they did. We enjoyed the time there so much, that this year are actually paying extra for the club level.

thewolvescall13, welcome to INTERCOT!
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

We regularly receive upgrades at the Dolphin to better views as part of the Starwood membership. We've been upgraded to suites, balcony rooms, and Epcot views. We have even had them give us much lower rates once we arrive for a better view.

We have also been upgraded on at least three occasions at the AKL. Twice we were upgraded from standard views to Pool views and twice we were upgraded to Savanna views. Not once have we ever actually stayed in a standard view room although that is all we have ever payed for.

We arrived a day early for our reservations one year and they didn't have a room available at the AKL where we were staying at a great rate, so they gave us a room at the Beach Club for one night at the same rate as our AKL room. That was very nice and we did not ask for it and were prepared to pay full price on our arrival.
    My first home is in Coastal Georgia, 30 feet from the saltwater marsh, and 3.5 hours from WDW!My second home is the Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort!CR,Poly,GF,BC,BW,WL,AKL,Dolphin,Swan,DL,CSR,POFQ,C BR,POP,AS,Vero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katzateer View Post
    Haven't really gotten any big room upgrades except ave gotten preferred view rooms at values when just paid for standard.

The one big upgrade we got a few years back - paid for a lower level room with no window on a Dsney Cruise. We got a room with a balcony which was wonderful and there was a fruit tray and some type of wine or champagne waiting for us.

It was because we had paid full price for our room, the cruise in the lower levels was booked up because a lot of the passengers had gotten free vouchers because their previous cruise had
    been impacted by September 11th.
    Now we HAVE gotten an upgrade that was very nice at WDW. I posted it already, but during our Jan. Visit this year we got upgraded from a standard Little Mermaid room to a Lion King Suite! Very nice and we enjoyed the upgrade ,
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

In 2009 we booked a standard garden wing room at the Contemporary. We were so happy to be staying there..our first time at a deluxe. We checked in at like 11 pm with 3 small kids in tow. We ended up getting upgraded to a Tower Room bay lake view. It was our best trip ever.
    January 1993-Off Property
    September 1996-Dixie Landings (POR)
    September 2006-Pop Century
    September 2007-Pop Century
    September 2008-Contemporary
    May 2009-Caribbean Beach
    Oct/Nov-2011-Wilderness Lodge
    December- 2013--Pop Century
    May 2015--Give Kids The World

Post Thanks / Like

I've never gotten an upgrade.

but that's ok! I went to Disney!
    first visIt: November 1973
    next planned visit: October, 2013 with friends
    resident Fairy Godmother

hearts are warmed when friends meet

see ya real soon

~*~*~*disneydeb*~*~*~

Post Thanks / Like

This past Oct. my DH and I did a quick trip to the world to be there for Epcot's 30th. We had a free night comp at the Contemporary from 7 years ago. With that and the discount they offered we decided to stay there. We booked the a garden wing room and when I did the online check in I requested a first floor room. I personally like opening my sliding doors and being able to walk outside. The day before we leave we get a call from the hotel asking us are any of us afraid of heights. We said no, they told us they did not know if they can gaurentee a first floor we said no worries.

Fast foward 24 hrs later after a very delayed flight we pulled into the CR at 11 pm, both DH and I were in very bad moods. The CM checked us in and started to tell us our room is the tower on the 10th floor. We went to the 10th floor walked into our room and staring right back at us with Cinderella's castle. It's a sight I will NEVER forget. We got out of our bad moods immediatly. I eventually layed down on my bed and drifted off to sleep with the castle in the backround. I don't think we will ever be able to afford to stay in that room but it was so magical!
    If you can dream it you can do it!!!

01,02,03,04,05 x3 (plus Disneyland),06,08,10,11,12

Been there done that going back!

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice! We were upgraded at AKL in September from a pool view to a savannah view, and it really "made" the trip. (I'll confess, though, that I booked pool and crossed my fingers because I've heard upgrades there are pretty common. I just hadn't realized how MUCH I'd love the savannah view - will probably have to book it from now on.I'm sure that is the reason for the upgrade ;-)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: