Quantcast Is it worth going to DTD? - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

World of Disney and Days of Christmas are two of my favorite stores in all of DW. Plus Wolfgang Puck Express is our favorite CS. Having said that I don't think you need more than a couple of hours there. We don't even bother with Pleasure Island, we stay in Marketplace. We always go there our arrival day because we usually don't get in until 3pm or so and after driving all day we don't feel like going to the parks.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Design a Tee store. We searched all over the parks for a Tigger t shirt for my DS's girlfriend last trip without any luck. We went into this store picked up an orange Tshirt (her favorite color) in her size, picked out a Tigger design and in a few minutes had the tshirt she requested.

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

My family and I love DTD.We always go there the first day/night to have dinner(hopefully t-rex this time)and see/do a few things before we call it a night and head back to our room for a great start the next day
    Next Up-All Star Movies

2019-All Star Sports
    2017-PO Riverside
    2015-All Star Music
    2012-Pop Century
    2010-Pop Century
    2008-Coronado Springs
    2005-PO French Quarter
    2003-LBV
    2001-All Star Sports

Post Thanks / Like

We almost always arrive in WDW midday, so our tradition is to head straight to DTD for some shopping & dinner & then back to our resort for some pool time before unpacking & settling in for our first full day & first park day. (I tried to change this up a bit one year & my family wouldn't een hear of it!) We've eaten at many of the restaurants there & enjoyed them all! Every trip we get a personalized Christmas tree ornament from the Christmas shop & take a photo of the fam with the character statues in winter scene just behind the store - great for our Christmas cards! We also have a tradition to take our boys photo in front of the LochNess Lego monster - amazing how much they've grown & changed in the 11 years since our first WDW trip! World of Disney is tops in my book for WDW shopping! We also enjoy so much of the live street entertainment at DTD! Our last few trips - we've found ourselves in DTD on several evenings just having fun & soaking up the atmosphere & entertainment when we need a break from the parks! Can't imagine DTD not being park of our WDW vacation experience! We truly enjoy it!
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!

Post Thanks / Like

Back in the day we used to go to DTD every night after the parks for a few hours of fun at Disney Quest. We hadn't discovered the Adventurers Club yet. We had Ultimate Park Hopper passes back then that got us in everywhere (just like a PAP, but were length of stay).

Now we will go a couple of times during a trip. Gotta have a sandwich at Earl and and sundae at Ghirardelli's. Every now and then we will hit up DQ for some Buccaneer Gold.
    Cheers/Diz
    61 trips to WDW and counting...
    DVC members since 2002
    Where we've stayed:
    Off site
    CBR, CSR, POR, POFQ
    FW Home, FW Cabin
    CR, WL
    AKV, BCV, BLT, BWV, OKW, SSR, VWL, Poly Bungalow, Aulani
    Disneyland: Off site, DLH, PP, GCR, VGCR
    Cruised on: Magic, Wonder, Fantasy, Dream

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

We love DTD and go at least a couple of times each trip. And no, none of us are fans of shopping.

Unlike a few others, I have found stuff in World of Disney that I have not found in the parks and in more variety of sizes.

LOVE:
    World Of Disney
    Ghirardhelli's
    Art of Animation Gallery
    Christmas Store
    Raglan Road
    Earls

And we also stay at FQ, which is a very beautiful and relaxing boat ride to DTD.
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

We always like to go at least once and walk around, shop a little and grab something to eat. We usually save it for an evening when we don't have other plans since the parks close fairly early when we travel and we're not big on evening EMH with the little kids.
    Christie

September 2007 - Pop Century

September 2009 - ASMu

September 17-24, 2011 - Off Property
    October 2014 - ???

Post Thanks / Like

Just came back from a quick trip to Orlando tonight, and I was very thankful we got to head over to DTD. Definitely a favorite of mine and DBF's. A great time to eat, shop, and relax.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to go 3-4 times per trip. I just like to walk around, plus I usually use it to hop between resorts for ADRs. And I prefer to do all of my shopping all at once at DTD rather than in the parks.

I also like the Wolfgang Puck Express for a good CS meal.

I've stayed at POR twice and would take the boat nearly every every day. So pretty and relaxing.
    *Cindy

Sep20 - Yacht Club
    Sep19 - WL Villas
    Sep18 - Contemporary
    Oct17 - Offsite
    Sep16 - POFQ
    Sep15 - Poly
    Sep14 - Disneyland
    Sep13 - Beach Club
    Oct11 - POR
    Sep10 - CBR
    Sep09 - POP
    Sep08 - WL Villas
    Sep07 - POR
    Feb95 - WL
    Jun90 - GF
    Aug86 - Big Red Boat

Plus Disneyland (x3) and Offsite (x5)

Post Thanks / Like

Last year we tried something new on our annual Disney trip. We decided to add two days to our trip and see Seaworld. We stayed at a Hilton close by Seaworld, but drove to DTD for dinner and shopping one of those nights. Then the next day headed to Disney and the Beach Club for our official stay. It was great doing it this way. We did not give up our "Disney Time" and got to see something new. This was our first time seeing DTD and had a great meal and fun shopping. Plan on doing something similiar this trip in August.

Post Thanks / Like

If I'm with the family it's hard to get to WDW before noon and I flat refuse to buy a park ticket for 1/3 of a day. This gives the kids a chance to get some Diz for free, we get the souvenirs bought and out of the way. Also I have boys, Lego, nuff said.

On my adult only trips its an absolute must. Sosas for cigars and mojitos, Fulton's for stone crabs, rag road for music and car bombs! Always someone good playing at HoB (saw George Clinton last year for 13$!)

It's not splash mountain but it wouldn't be a trip to diz without it.

'76 offsite, '90 offsite, '03 Courtyard DTD, '04 offsite, '05 CBR, '05 POFQ solo, '06 Sports solo, '06 POFQ, '07 Pop, '09 offsite solo, '09 POFQ, '09 Music, '10 CS, '11 Pop, '12 Pop, '13 dolphin.

Post Thanks / Like

We usually arrive very early to WDW so we tend to make DTD our first stop. We enjoy going into the World of Disney, Art of Disney, and just browesing around. We then head to one of the parks for the rest of the day and have dinner.
    1990 - CBR
    1998 - Disney Institute
    2000 - All Star Movies
    2003 - Land and Sea - CBR
    2004 - CBR
    2006 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    2012 - Art of Animation-Nemo
    2013 - Art of Animation- Lion King
    2014 - Star Wars Weekends - Pop Century
    2015 - Aulani
    2016 - POFQ
    2017 - POFQ Again

Post Thanks / Like

Usually just a few hours to shop.
    Next WDW Trip: July 13 - 22, 2016 Wilderness Lodge

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow shining at the end of every day!"

"Let's Don't be Silly..." - The Mad Hatter

Post Thanks / Like

Wow I am surprised at the responses. I love DTD. I try to get there each trip and how long I stay depends on how long my vacation is. Three days at Disney I don't get to get there but last trip I was there 10 days so I set a whole day aside. We made dinner ressies but left lunch open. Pleasantly surprised when we stumbled into T-Rex around lunchtime. Didn't even know it was there. Great food. I love to do Christmas shopping here and usually have all my packages delivered to my resort except for ornaments. I usually go early Oct or mid-Dec and weather is great for strolling. And who can resist a late dessert from Ghirardhelli's.
    dm2K
    1993 - BC/Cruise; 1996 - BC; 1998 - BC; 2000 - YC; 2002 - FQ; 2004 - Campground/BC; 2005 - POR; 2007 - BWI; 2008 - AKL; Christmas 2010 - BC; 2011 - All Star Sports; 2012 - AKL & WL; 2013 - DL and CSR

Post Thanks / Like

We always go the day we arrive and then head back to our resort to rest up so we can head out bright and early the next morning to the parks. We also go our last day there if we have a late flight out.
    1288 very long miles to WDW!
    1958 DL-Off property
    Dec 1998 WDW-Off property-Chaperone HS Band trip
    Sep 2005 WDW-POR-25th Late Anniversary
    Apr 2010 WDW-POR-30th Anniversary!
    Aug 2012 DL-first time in 54 yrs!
    Apr 2014 DL-34th Anniversary!!
    Nov 2016 WDW-Retirement!
    Apr 2018 Disney-DGD's 1st trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quadstriker View Post
    The following list is the reasons it's worthwhile for me to go to Downtown Disney.

1. Raglan on Sunday nights for real live Irish music played by Johnny and Justin.

That's it.
    I have and will drink to that.
    5/21 SSR & BCV
    11/19 Copper Creek Villas
    5/17 - Boardwalk Villas & Swan
    10/14 Legacy Villas
    10/11 & 12 Coronado Springs
    1981 - 2010 Offsite
    1974,76,78 Fort Wilderness
    8/87 - 05 Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

It's a not-to-be-missed spot for us... we love the ambiance, the variety of stores, and the food! Can't miss WoD, LOVE that store (although my budget doesn't... ) Oh, and the strawberry margaritas on the boardwalk... and a ride up in the balloon, esp. at sunset, is a must!! Such a great, beautiful view! So yes, it's a must-do for us...
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Nah. I can go to a mall anytime. I don't really understand the appeal. There is plenty of shopping opportunity as you exit most rides. We've been a few times. Did Rainforest Cafe. Ghiradelli's. Shopped. KIds used to like Lego store and build a car thing. I always wanted to go to Adventurer's club but never made it. But who needs more shopping? Yawn.
    2017 WDW All Star Music/Universal RP
    2016 :(
    2015 Universal-Royal Pacific
    2014 :(
    2013 Fall: Wilderness Lodge
    2011-12 :(
    2010 French Quarter
    2009 Pop & AKL
    2008 Polynesian
    2007 ASM & BCR
    2006 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

I used to hate DTD for two reasons.

1. If I spend a lot of money on tickets, I want to get my ticket money's worth. I'd rather be in the parks.

2. It's all shops and some restaurants and I wasn't interested in spending EVEN MORE money. Not to mention I've never really been a fan of Disney merchandise and I thought the non-disney stuff was WAY overpriced.

Recently, however, we're on our second year of annual passes and we've done A LOT at the parks. We probably won't renew so we're trying to slow down and experience the things we never do.

Also, I have learned to really enjoy window shopping.

So these are things you might want to consider. If you only have three days for four theme parks (or something like that), my vote is no. Spend your time where you get the most bang for your buck.

If you're staying for like, a week, then I think it's probably a good way to spend a relaxing day just walkin' around. Seein' the sights, and such.

It's also a FAR less hectic way to spend an afternoon than in an hour and a half line for a ride. Not to mention all the shops have air conditioning, which allows you to escape the heat as you go.

Post Thanks / Like

We go to DTD on our AK day. Try to hit Trex and the xmas store. Disney quest is a flop and I don't understand going to disney to go to the movies, so we skip the theatre.

Post Thanks / Like

I think dtd is worth it. In the fall when the parks close early, it's a nice wrap to your day when you're not ready to go to bed yet.

I'm crossing my fingers that Disney Springs brings a new spin on dtd with even more to do.
    INTERCOT Staff-
    Nightlife, Shops, Water Parks/DCL/runDisney

DVC owner- BLT, Alauni, SSR, Vero, OKW

Next:

Oct- WLV
    Nov- Vero
    Dec- BWV
    Jan- SSR runICOT WEEKEND!
    Feb- Poly
    Mar- Disney Wonder
    Apr- AKL Kidani
    May- Vero