Quantcast Wild Africa Trek - wheelchair accessible

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wild Africa Trek - wheelchair accessible

I'm inquiring for someone asking for a review via our Twitter account. Has anyone ever done this version of the tour? Thanks for any info you can provide.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I have inquired about this tour and was told by Disney that it is not Wheelchair accessible.
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74
    WDW - '84, '85, '86, Honeymoon '90, '93, '96, '00, '01, '03, '04, 2x '05, '06, 2x '10, 2x '11, 10x'12, 2x '13
    Booked for February 22-27

Post Thanks / Like

Mel, I just posted this on another thread. They do offer a handicapped accessible alternative. It needs to be booked through the Wild Africa Trek Office (407) 938-1373.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VWL Mom View Post
    Mel, I just posted this on another thread. They do offer a handicapped accessible alternative. It needs to be booked through the Wild Africa Trek Office (407) 938-1373.
    Thank you for this info! I will have to look into it. Is this something new?
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74
    WDW - '84, '85, '86, Honeymoon '90, '93, '96, '00, '01, '03, '04, 2x '05, '06, 2x '10, 2x '11, 10x'12, 2x '13
    Booked for February 22-27

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Hungarian View Post
    Thank you for this info! I will have to look into it. Is this something new?
    I think that was something they implemented earlier this year when they made a few adjustments to the Trek.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Hi guys im the one from twitter looking for a review
    ... the wheelchair part isnt really the issue for us.. our guy can walk ok we just know the normal tour would be a little tough and no way would we get him to walk over that bridge

just trying to find a break down of what goes on in the alternative tour so we can make sure its still worth the money and time on our next trip

thanks!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by justinegar View Post
    Hi guys im the one from twitter looking for a review
    ... the wheelchair part isnt really the issue for us.. our guy can walk ok we just know the normal tour would be a little tough and no way would we get him to walk over that bridge

just trying to find a break down of what goes on in the alternative tour so we can make sure its still worth the money and time on our next trip

thanks!!!
    Thanks for stopping by! Hopefully someone will be along that's actually done this version.

Post Thanks / Like

anyone?

Post Thanks / Like

I did lots of digging today, and there really isn't much about the adapted tour, even on the Disney site.

It does seem to be a very different tour, not just skipping the bridge, but spending time on the pangani forest trail instead of the regular tour hike/walk. There is still the special safari and the snack.

Hopefully someone will give it a try and let us know their review!
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Scheduled this trek for October. It's the same price and is scheduled at the 1:15 time because that enables them to have "magical moments." You can schedule a less intense trek at anytime, but this loses the "magical" extras apparently. If a wheelchair is involved, the trek can only have 10 people instead of 12 as they have to take the back seat out of the truck. The wheelchair is tied down with the back of the chair against the passenger side of the truck and the wheelchair facing the driver side. They indicated that this could limit the visibility of the animals since the person using the wheelchair couldn't stand in the truck and turn around and see stuff. They emphasized that the pangani trail trek (which takes the place of the forest trek) is just as special as the climbing, etc. trek. The intense trekkers load on the truck and then pick up the guests on the less intense trek and then everyone completes the trek together. I'll post after we return.

Post Thanks / Like

Just returned from our Wild Africa Trek. You start the same spot as everyone else (you even have to sign the same release forms) behind the Tusker House. You get your canteen and your name tag. Those going on the rope bridges and through the "jungle" head one way to get suited up and your group (in our case just our family) gets their own guide and heads out into the African Village. We had a wonderful guide who in addition to taking pictures of our family and the animals/plants was very knowledgable and personable. Felt like we'd known her for ages after about 15 minutes. We traveled the Pangani Trail with her. Saw wonderful things as well as a surprise in the aviary. We then boarded a truck with seats along the side. One section was folded up and the wheelchair was backed in and locked down. My son was at the back of the truck facing the drivers side. We said goodbye to our first guide and two others who were leading the rest of our group took over. We then drove out into the regular safari, we were able to slow a little. When we got past the hippos, we pulled over and the others of our group joined us. We were given ice cold towels with citronella plus some other oils. Very nice. We continued on the safari but could pull over and/or go into areas not on the regular safari to get closer looks at animals. Our next stop was the BOMA on the grasslands area. We had a wonderful meal and got to watch animals as we ate. I did notice that one person in our party had a specially prepared meal. We loaded back on the truck and complete the safari. Again, we got to stop or pull into a side path to get better looks at animals. The guides to special care to try to take pictures of my son with animals in the background which was difficult as they had to get in odd positions since he couldn't be moved. All in all it was well worth the money. The best experience of our trip.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: