Quantcast "Disney" food items that you are surprised people actually spend money on? - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EeyoresBestFriend View Post
    Just a personal observation, but I don't remember some of the above mentioned things costing so much before the 'popularity' of the dining plan. I think these things have been hiked to remove them from the snack category, and making them weirdly outrageous in price.

Just my thoughts though . . . .
    A lot of things (like the $4 rice krispy treats) are STILL snacks on the DDP. I agree that the stuff is artificially inflated in price, but maybe that's to make the DDP seem like such a good deal, who knows.

And, we buy the Mickey Ice Cream bars because, yeah, we don't buy that kind of stuff at home. AND, we couldn't even if we wanted to. They are not for sale outside of the Disney realm, so it's a justifiable purchase to us! You can certainly buy other brands, but they are not the same.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    And, we buy the Mickey Ice Cream bars because, yeah, we don't buy that kind of stuff at home. AND, we couldn't even if we wanted to. They are not for sale outside of the Disney realm, so it's a justifiable purchase to us! You can certainly buy other brands, but they are not the same.
    Have you ever tried the Dilly Bar at Dairy Queen? My DH says it's by far better than the Mickey Bar. I couldn't tell you though...I've never tried either of them.
    Natalie

WDW ~ 1987
    WDW ~ Jan 1997
    DL ~ Jan 2004
    WDW ~ Dec 2007
    WDW POR ~Oct 2010
    WDW POR ~ Dec 2012
    WDW Offsite ~ Mar 2016
    WDW POR ~ Aug 2016
    DL ~ Jun 2018
    WDW ASMovies ~ Mar 2019

Post Thanks / Like

The idea of overpriced snacks at Disney never occurred to me I guess because it's what I expect.

In high school I worked at a candy store in the mall. If I had a nickle for every time someone commented on the price of M&M's as compared to the giant bag they could pick up at Wal-Mart I'd be a wealthy woman. Of course it's more expensive, it's the mall.

Now I will say the individual shrink wrapped sugar cookies that are decorated like various characters are something I won't buy again because they are dry and tasteless.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by natstroop View Post
    Have you ever tried the Dilly Bar at Dairy Queen? My DH says it's by far better than the Mickey Bar. I couldn't tell you though...I've never tried either of them.
    Mickey Bars are way better. It's actually chocolate. Dilly Bars are brown, chocolate flavored wax.
    Meg

40 trips (plus two to Disneyland, and one to Disneyland Paris) and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say that as a kid I loved those plastic boxes of candy from the stores at Disney. Do you remember those? I think the last one I had was probably about 25 years ago. Some of them were just cube shaped and had a picture of the parks on them and some of them were shaped like character's heads. It was the same candy I could get at home for less than half the price but for some reason I just had to have it at WDW. So... if my kids want to get it with their snack credits I just let them although I am not a big fan.

There isn't anything that really surprises me. I have my favorites (school bread, chocolate chip cookie from the Main Street Bakery). As long as I can still get those I am happy.
    Too many trips to count!
    Disneyland!
    DisneyWorld!
    Disneyland Paris!
    Coming soon Tokyo!
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE

I have stayed at: All Star Movies, All Star Music, Pop Century, Art of Animation, Port Orleans Riverside, Caribbean Beach Resort, Saratoga Springs Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    Urban legend has it they are really Emu.
    That makes sense on why they are so pink inside!!! There is no amount of cooking roasting or smoking that can get a Turkey leg so pink!!
    If you can dream it, you can do it ...Horizons
    **Been there, done that at Disney!!!**
    Next Trip:
    Post Mother's Day trip May 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Love the turkey legs. Always get them at local Renaissance festival too. I enjoy reading the thread, but food is such a personal choice, I hesitate to comment on anyones choices. Especially since so many are hating my Turkey.
    But seriously, on vacation, I'm all about splurging and having what I want.
    12/1987 Off site
    12/2000 All star movies
    7/2001 Coronado springs
    7/2001 Animal kingdom lodge
    12/2001 All star music
    7/2003 Port Orleans
    7/2003 All star sports
    7/2004 Pop Century
    7/2010 All star movies
    7/2011 Pop Century
    3/2013 Pop Century
    4/2013 All star movies

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jnfr2424 View Post
    That makes sense on why they are so pink inside!!! There is no amount of cooking roasting or smoking that can get a Turkey leg so pink!!
    No, it's very easy to turn turkey pink. Witness: turkey "bacon".

All you have to do is pump it full of artificial flavors, salt, nitrates, and smoke the heck out of it. Ham doesn't start off pink either...
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Faline gave me a reminder....so had to comment again, sorry being from New England DBF and I always see people getting the buckets of "clams" at cape may all the time and we are always like "why?!?!?" but being from New England, being able to buy freshly caught seafood right off the boat for a quarter of the price in any restaurant, Floridas seafood is awful . And the "clams" they have at Cape May are considered illegal here in New England. So, we never understand why people love them so much lol.
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerbellT421 View Post
    Faline gave me a reminder....so had to comment again, sorry being from New England DBF and I always see people getting the buckets of "clams" at cape may all the time and we are always like "why?!?!?" but being from New England, being able to buy freshly caught seafood right off the boat for a quarter of the price in any restaurant, Floridas seafood is awful . And the "clams" they have at Cape May are considered illegal here in New England. So, we never understand why people love them so much lol.
    Seafood in Florida that is marketed as "New England" seafood may be "awful", but fresh Florida seafood from Florida is just as delicious as fresh local seafood from anywhere else in the world. It all depends on the restaurant and how fresh it really is, and how well it is prepared. I'm sure I could find some "awful" gulf shrimp or oysters in Boston if I tried, but why would I?
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joonyer View Post
    Seafood in Florida that is marketed as "New England" seafood may be "awful", but fresh Florida seafood from Florida is just as delicious as fresh local seafood from anywhere else in the world. It all depends on the restaurant and how fresh it really is, and how well it is prepared. I'm sure I could find some "awful" gulf shrimp or oysters in Boston if I tried, but why would I?
    Don't want to get off topic so I will just say, I guess it's all perspective Ive had fresh Florida seafood, it just is not good lol. But it's all opinion and what your used to. Just was going with the topic of what someone might not understand because of different tastes.
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

No, it's very easy to turn turkey pink. Witness: turkey "bacon".

All you have to do is pump it full of artificial flavors, salt, nitrates, and smoke the heck out of it. Ham doesn't start off pink either...
    Quote Originally Posted by jnfr2424 View Post
    My family had a couple from Typhoon Lagoon a few years ago. I thought Turkey Legs were actually "Ham". Looked like it to me and tasted like it to me. Must be all the additives. We thought they were pretty good although they are greasy. But if they are now $10 thats a little steep. Does anybody know for sure if it is really ham or not. I could have sworn it was.
    Pally

Past Trips

Pop- Dec 2015
    Portofino Bay-(Club)Universal Dec, 2015
    Pop - Oct 2012
    Pop- Aug/Sept 2009
    Wilderness Lodge - Dec. 2006
    Portofino Bay-(Club)-Universal- Dec 2006
    Sheraton Vistana Villages- May 2003
    Sheraton Vistana Villages- April 2002
    Off-site-May 1989-

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pally View Post
    Does anybody know for sure if it is really ham or not. I could have sworn it was.
    They are definitely turkey legs. You can't get ham on a bone like that. Ham is the back leg of a pig. You would never get such a small, single serving "ham" on a bone the size of the turkey legs at WDW. They taste like ham because they are cured and smoked like ham. Ham, smoked (cured) turkey, bacon, and hot dogs all sort of taste the same due to a similar process of curing and smoking. Sodium Nitrate is responsible for the pink color and the combination of smoke, salt, sugar, and spices are what imparts the flavor.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

They are definitely turkey legs. You can't get ham on a bone like that. Ham is the back leg of a pig. You would never get such a small, single serving "ham" on a bone the size of the turkey legs at WDW. They taste like ham because they are cured and smoked like ham. Ham, smoked (cured) turkey, bacon, and hot dogs all sort of taste the same due to a similar process of curing and smoking. Sodium Nitrate is responsible for the pink color and the combination of smoke, salt, sugar, and spices are what imparts the flavor.
    Your description makes complete sense now. I can't believe these things don't kill us with all the stuff they do to this piece of meat!
    Pally

Past Trips

Pop- Dec 2015
    Portofino Bay-(Club)Universal Dec, 2015
    Pop - Oct 2012
    Pop- Aug/Sept 2009
    Wilderness Lodge - Dec. 2006
    Portofino Bay-(Club)-Universal- Dec 2006
    Sheraton Vistana Villages- May 2003
    Sheraton Vistana Villages- April 2002
    Off-site-May 1989-

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for the turkey legs...BUT...not for price rather the taste. I just don't like them.

I'll pretty much pay anything if I like something...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    This is probably going to seem like sacrilege, but I don't really understand the appeal of the Mickey ice cream bars. Yes, they're shaped like Mickey, but they're otherwise ordinary chocolate covered ice cream bars and I don't really have to have one when I'm in WDW. In fact, I've only had one. Ever.
    I love those things. The chocolate is real chocolate, not waxy, and it's *thick*. I like Klondike bars, and the Mickey Ice Cream Bars coating is thicker than those. It's awesome. I eat one a day. Then it takes six hours of walking around Epcot to work off the calories.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pally View Post
    But if they are now $10 thats a little steep.
    I miss quoted I thought I'd read $9.95. Just double checked and at Toluca Lakes Turkey Company in the Studios as of Sept. they are $9.19. Sorry, still not worth it in my book.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

My family is so guilty of buying so many of the things listed here. They are just 'part' of Disney to us! My boys have loved the sugar tubes through the years (I would often bring them home to them when I went on solo trips) and we buy the Goofy's Candy Company stuff quite often (specifically the Sour Character Gummies. And while I don't typically buy popcorn here in the States, flavored popcorn in Tokyo is quite the treat and we bought it often. Love Mickey Ice Cream bars and caramel apples too!

So, as I'm guilty as for buying all those typical overpriced items, I won't say a thing about anyone else's choices.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Food

The turkey legs look like they are meat that is shaped like a turkey leg not really an actual turkey leg. The bone also looks fake or plastic like.

Anyone else think this way?

Post Thanks / Like

I love the Krispies the ones with the choc. dipped ears and sprinkles. It's the shape and knowing that you a WDW eating it that make it so exciting.

I don't understand the bottle drinks either. Or the rootbeer/coke floats. It's so incredibly cheap to make at home.
    DVC MEMBER since 2009
    CS- Oct.2006 *Honeymoon*
    ASM- Sept. 2009 BLT- Nov. 2010
    WLV- Oct. 2012 SSR- July 2013
    BLT- Jan. 2014 WLV- Nov. 2015
    SSR- Mar. 2016 OKW- Oct. 2017
    SSR- Apr. 2018 BC- May. 2018
    BC- Aug. 2018 BLT Dec. 2018

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: