Quantcast Your argument for buying your dvc home resort?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Your argument for buying your dvc home resort?

Hey everyone! I am digging in and doing all the research needed to make an educated purchase of dvc. (resale of course) now here is my question. Upon reading many of the threads here, I would like to here from dvc members and why they chose their home resort? What factors did you look at? Regrets? Over joyed? Was your resort in the perfect location, etc. you guys know what I mean thanks for all the help Disney dudes
    rantyrantyranty

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We love our choice, so much so, that we bought additional points thru the Timeshare store. Our original choices were BLT and Animal Kingdom, we chose BLT and couldn't be happier. We love being close to MK and the monorail.
    Jodie

Post Thanks / Like

We bought resale(Timeshare Store) and are so pleased--only wish we had done it sooner! We bought BWV because of location and themeing. Love it!

Post Thanks / Like

I bought SSR direct from DVC before it was built. It was not my first choice, because when we originally toured in May 2003 we had looked at Beach Club. My husband wanted to hold off. In Jan 2004 we received a communication from DVC announcing SSR, and also announcing the contract would be a full 50 years ending in 2054. Comparing that to BC which ended in 2042, we felt we would prefer the longer contract.

We don't stay at any resort exclusively so it's not been an issue for us over the years. Most trips I am happy to take what is available if I haven't planned out the 7 months in advance.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

Our decision was easy. We bought at Old Key West 20 years ago because it was the only choice!! Actually, we have been absolutely delighted with our choice. There are qualities OKW has that makes it one of our favorites. Over the years, we had plenty of opportunities to purchase additional points, but Animal Kingdom Lodge was the only one that offered something extra that we wanted. We really like the chance to book at AKL more than 7 months out to get rooms we like.

An easy rule to follow when buying now (and I'm sure you know this) - purchase where you plan to stay most of the time. The ability to book rooms up to 11 months out can be a huge advantage. Good luck with your decision. It's turned out to be one of the best decisions we made - we have truly enjoyed DVC over the years.

Post Thanks / Like

We bought resale before the rules changed so we were grandfathered in. The current rules would not change my decision. On a trip prior to purchasing, DW and I spent one whole day just resort hopping to the different DVC resorts. We walked around them, checking out everything from the pools to the restaraunts and even seen inside some of the rooms (they were open for cleaning.) We had already stayed at Saratoga Springs so we didn't tour it again. To be honest though, I considered cost more than location. A monorail resort would've been cool, but we really, really like OKW AND the cost was much lower. Buy where you want to stay, it will help avoid booking issues.

Post Thanks / Like

We bought Old Key West. We had decided we wanted to buy Villas Wilderness Lodge but came across a really good deal which gave us an "extra" year's worth of points (banked). We're also not so locked into HAVING to stay at a particular resort at a particular point in time. So far, we've had pretty good luck booking into the resorts we request and, if not available, move on to booking into another resort that is available so "home" resort has not been a critical issue for us. If "home" resort was all that was available, we'd be fine with staying there. Actually, for an upcoming trip, our home resort of Old Key West was not available so we're staying in a different resort!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

When DS was young, we made many visits to the Poly. On one trip, we decided to exit EPCOT at International Gateway and walk the Boardwalk area while it was under construction - nothing on the Boardwalk side was open yet other than a walkway bounded by construction walls. We loved the location and thought it had possibilities, so we bought at BWV when it became available (1 year later, I think, in 2000). At that point, DS was getting old enough that being in sight of MK was not as critical, and since we always loved evenings at Epcot, a change of venue made sense.

Over the next 2 years, we stayed at BWV a few times and watched BCV being built. Stormalong Bay being a big draw, we added on there in 2002 (and twice more after that).

We have stayed at both resorts since (mostly BCV), and haven't regretted either home resort choice. We always take advantage of the 11 month window.
    WDW Visitor since 1973, DVC member since 2000

Post Thanks / Like

We bought at SSR. We were not buying with any attention of actually staying there unless we really have to we prefer Boardwalk. We only purchased SSR because we bought directly through Disney, the contract year was long, I forget when it ends but it's only three years old now I think, there ws a deal because they were trying to get rid of SSR to sell AK so we got a great deal on the point price, and we received a special bonus with purchase, outside of the free goodies, we also got a$500.00 gift card. So we didn't buy with thinking of staying there at the 11 month mark. We make reservations there at 11 months, then we make our want to stay list and at 7 months we shoot through the list to see if we can stay somewhere else, but if for whatever reason that fails we at least have a place to stay. But we have never had a problem at the 7 month mark.
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

We have BLT and I couldnt care less. I would be just as happy with a resale from OKW or SSR and pay less on the points. After all, you can stay at all of the resorts, so who really cares what your home resort is anywho. I find it angering, as a matter of fact, that the price keeps going up and that people who purchased OKW 20 years ago get to book up rooms at BLT and limit our option of getting into our home resort but we pay twice what they paid. I realize the way it works but calling 2-3 mths out and deciding to book a trip and being told that there aren't any available rooms is maddening. You should always be able to get something at the home resort. In Jan, the marathon, we couldnt even get a room anywhere with DVC points and I was extremely upset. I ended up at the Dolphin, just to be on property, since I was flying in and had no car. Some of the politics in fine print are unfair, Imho, and the choice for the "home resort" is one of them. Their policy states that they will always have a room for you; doesn't tell you where. That means they will always be able to put you in saratoga or OKW, not necessarily your home resort.
    A man should never neglect his family for business.-Walt Disney
    Apr07-FW
    Feb08-FW
    Sep08-BC
    Sep09-POR
    Nov-Dec09-FW
    Dec09-BC
    Aug10-WL
    Jan11-SSR
    Oct11-ASM/FW/CBR/BC
    Dec11-ASM/BLT
    Jan12-WD
    Feb12-Off
    Sep12-BCV/Pop
    Jan13-FW/AOA
    Feb13-CBR
    Sept13-Dland
    Dec13-FW

Post Thanks / Like

We own at BCV and AKL. Our initial purchase was BCV from Disney and we had VBR, HHI and SSR to choose from. We chose BCV due to it's location. It's central to most everything, and it has a night life around the logoon and Boardwalk areas, not to mention the quick walk to Epcot (our favorite park). We later added on points to be able to bring family members. We got a good deal to add on at AKL early with some extra points and a discount. We have stayed at AKL and loved the resort. Since purchasing though we haven't been to AKL but we will be going more frequently in the future.
    DVC Owner: BCV in 2002 & AKV in 2008
    18 visits home between 2000 and 2014
    Next up:
    AKV in September 2014
    BCV in December 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ranty View Post
    Hey everyone! I am digging in and doing all the research needed to make an educated purchase of dvc. (resale of course) now here is my question. Upon reading many of the threads here, I would like to here from dvc members and why they chose their home resort? What factors did you look at? Regrets? Over joyed? Was your resort in the perfect location, etc. you guys know what I mean thanks for all the help Disney dudes
    I really admire your doing so much research, because we initially chose the wrong home resort for us. DH had been saying for years "If they ever build a DVC at VWL, THEN I'd buy." Well, they did so we bought. Between 1994, when the WL first opened and 2001, when we bought, we'd been offered a chance to stay at OKW one trip, but for some reason we didn't. We drove thru OKW that trip, and for some crazy reason we agreed that we were glad we hadn't chosen to stay there. After we bought and stayed at VWL, we weren't fond of it, had an extra night at the end of our vacation, and could only get OKW. DH was in love with OKW-we immediately sold VWL and bought OKW points. We also own at BCV and HHI, but we did learn to stay at the resort before judging it. Good luck to you!

Post Thanks / Like

Default My DVC story

I bought in 2006 from Disney Direct at Saratoga Springs.

I bought more from The Timeshare Store AKV.

Now I've only been to Saratoga springs ONCE. Its not my favorite. I'm trying to try them all. Only WVL to go!

I've been disappointed in my 7 month window but never to the point where I have to say "I'm not going". I've been turned down for Beach Club 2 times but finally got there. But "settling" for Boardwalk - I'll take that ANY day.

Its a lifetime of experiences. Try all the resorts! If you find one you love (AKV for me), buy some more points so that you can book at 11 month window there.
    Then: #runICOT 1/16
    GC Disneyland 10/15
    #runICOT 1/15
    OKW 7/14
    BWV #runICOT 1/14
    VBR and BCV 7/13
    AoA 10/12 iCOT 15th!
    VBR, OKW, Magic, & AKL 5/12
    BCV, BLT, Dream 8/11
    BWV 9/09
    AKV & DCL Magic 5/09
    POR 11/08 (no KIDS)
    BWV 6/08
    SSR 11/07
    AKL - 5/06
    Offsite 6/05
    ASM 7/99
    Offsite 3/97

Post Thanks / Like

I bought AKV recently through Disney. I had a choice between AKV or Hawaii resort. I chose AKV because it was cheaper and I think I would be going to Disney a lot more than Hawaii.
    Rob
    2/90 - Fort Wilderness Cabin
    2/92, 94, 98 - Beach Club
    2/96 - Dixie Landings
    2/99, 00 - All Star Sports
    5/05 - Pop Century
    5/07 - Coronado Springs
    8/08 - Beach Club Villas
    4/10 - Wilderness Lodge Villas
    8/12 - Disneyland (offsite)
    11/13 - Beach Club Villas

DVC Member

Post Thanks / Like

I bought at the Villas at the Grand Californian through Disney. I really wanted AKL, but my guide was steering to the VGC. I almost switched to AKL, but now I am glad I didn't. The VGC don't have many units so I have the 11 month advantage there.

I was able to get what I wanted for our WDW last August and we loved our stay at AKL Kidani.

Now if they would only build DVC at the Disneyland Hotel...I would love to add on there

I am finally getting a chance to stay at my home resort. And it is just a drive away
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

You guys are great! Keep all the valuable info comin!
    rantyrantyranty

Post Thanks / Like

We first bought OKW directly from Disney and then more points resale a few years later. A few years ago we bought BWVs (resale) and we love both resorts. We like the 11 mo. window to stay at the BWVs during F&WF but are not ever disappointed if we have to stay at OKW. We have been successful in getting BCVs & GCVs at the 7 mo. window. My advice to you would be to buy where you want to stay but I really don't think there is a bad choice.
    [COLOR=DarkRed]Paula[/

Post Thanks / Like

BLT: for location to Epcot/MK, view of Wishes, monorail access, ease of renting. Just LOVE it! Seriously, only regret is that it doesn't have it's own restaurant. But it's not that big of a deal.
    DVC MEMBER since 2009
    CS- Oct.2006 *Honeymoon*
    ASM- Sept. 2009 BLT- Nov. 2010
    WLV- Oct. 2012 SSR- July 2013
    BLT- Jan. 2014 WLV- Nov. 2015
    SSR- Mar. 2016 OKW- Oct. 2017
    SSR- Apr. 2018 BC- May. 2018
    BC- Aug. 2018 BLT Dec. 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DVC2004 View Post
    I bought SSR direct from DVC before it was built. It was not my first choice, because when we originally toured in May 2003 we had looked at Beach Club. My husband wanted to hold off. In Jan 2004 we received a communication from DVC announcing SSR, and also announcing the contract would be a full 50 years ending in 2054. Comparing that to BC which ended in 2042, we felt we would prefer the longer contract.

We don't stay at any resort exclusively so it's not been an issue for us over the years. Most trips I am happy to take what is available if I haven't planned out the 7 months in advance.
    Much the same story with us. We own at SSR, but I've never stayed there. We stay at BWV every year and love it.

Post Thanks / Like

We stayed on rented points at OKW, I wanted to see what the family thought of the location 'cause its so far from any of the parks...they loved it...relaxing and not the go, go, go of being close to the theme parks...and I personally loved the balconies over looking the golf course. Now, I had always loved BCV, actually storm along bay pool. So that was my next add on...not loving the balcony, but the pool and easy access to EPCOT is not a bad trade off. I'm favoring VWL for my last add on...but DD loves BLT and I was impressed with our one night 2 bedroom TPV from the 12th floor this June...staying one night TPV in a studio this October...so, I'll get another opinion. Love the VWL, but do already have my balcony view at OKW, and pool at BCV...time will tell, that and $30-$40 more a point for BLT..taking hubby to VWL the week after thanksgiving...trying to WOW him.
    BUY where you want to stay...they can change the 7 month switch at anytime...
    Pirate Granny

October 2020 — 3 nights OKW, 3 nights Poly Lakeview and 1 night BWV studios
    November 2020 — BRV studio 9 nights
    December 2020 entire family GV OKW
    December 2020 January 2021 BCV studio

OH YEAH BABY !!! Proud owners at OKW + BCV + BRV + RR

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: