Quantcast Are these the "Dark Days" of DisneyWorld? - Page 7

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baldburke View Post
    Maybe its all relative? What we remember from our youth or younger days as compared to what our children see now then looking decades out, will they look back and think those were the good 'ol days when a turkey leg was $10 and you could still get an autograph and pic with a character if you didn't mind waiting upwards of an hour to do so.
    I think it's this, totally. It's like the phrase, "Either you die the hero, or you live long enough to become the villain." For those who have spent a lot of time at Walt Disney World, it has gone from being magical to you noticing every change, every flaw, every managerial misstep. And if that's all you focus on, then that's all you'll see. It takes effort to notice the magic of the place, especially in the midst of changes that you don't particularly like.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

2. Likes PopPhan liked this post
  3.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baldburke View Post
    �� This thread is back! We had neighbors just go to FL on their first trip with children over Easter break. Despite all the changes over the years (quality, service, perceived value, etc.) they said that Disney was really head and shoulders above Universal...at least based on their perception in these waning days of the COVID pandemic. Maybe its all relative? What we remember from our youth or younger days as compared to what our children see now then looking decades out, will they look back and think those were the good 'ol days when a turkey leg was $10 and you could still get an autograph and pic with a character if you didn't mind waiting upwards of an hour to do so. We've debated getting rid of our DVC points as of late. Although we still think its a fun occasional get away and with grandkids on the horizon sooner than later we think there might be new reasons to visit down the road.
    You are absolutely right. 20 years later, our grown-up children, looking at the world around them, will say that in their childhood everything was nicer, more understandable.

5. Likes PopPhan, baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beatrice Callan View Post
    You are absolutely right. 20 years later, our grown-up children, looking at the world around them, will say that in their childhood everything was nicer, more understandable.
    Welcome to Intercot!
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

I think there is a complete shift in the business model. If you read “Keys to the Kingdom,“ the Disney rep, while speaking to a group of trainees, asks the question, “Who is Disney‘s competition?” The answers vary but are all in the entertainment industry. Then he asks, “What about department stores? What about landscapers?” He asks the trainees if they’ve ever called those customer service departments. “Did you ever call Disney‘s customer service? Did you compare the two? The truth is: our competition is anyone with whom we are compared.“

Have you called Disney’s Customer Service lately? You may be on hold for two hours! They are in bottom-line mode at the moment. Anything they think you perceive you are getting for free, they are cutting out! And these “freebies” are not free. They are all factored that into the ticket price.

8. Likes Cinderelley, baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrPeetrie View Post
    I think there is a complete shift in the business model. If you read “Keys to the Kingdom,“ the Disney rep, while speaking to a group of trainees, asks the question, “Who is Disney‘s competition?” The answers vary but are all in the entertainment industry. Then he asks, “What about department stores? What about landscapers?” He asks the trainees if they’ve ever called those customer service departments. “Did you ever call Disney‘s customer service? Did you compare the two? The truth is: our competition is anyone with whom we are compared.“

Have you called Disney’s Customer Service lately? You may be on hold for two hours! They are in bottom-line mode at the moment. Anything they think you perceive you are getting for free, they are cutting out! And these “freebies” are not free. They are all factored that into the ticket price.
    Well, I might be willing to hold that long for other companies if they played Disney music, etc while I was on hold :P
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

10. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrPeetrie View Post

Fair enough, but doesn't *everyone* do that? What company gives you stuff for free that isn't factored in to the ticket price? Why just complain about Disney doing what is an industry standard business practice? Were these things not factored in to the price when they started doing them and we thought that they were "free"?
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
    Fair enough, but doesn't *everyone* do that? What company gives you stuff for free that isn't factored in to the ticket price? Why just complain about Disney doing what is an industry standard business practice? Were these things not factored in to the price when they started doing them and we thought that they were "free"?
    I think he was focusing more on the "cutting them out" while leaving the ticket prices the same. I haven't had any other companies cut stuff out.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
    But they aren’t giving the customers the “free stuff” right now, but the price has stayed the same. Essentially, you are paying for the “free stuff,” but you aren’t receiving it.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that they are trying to set themselves up for the future. What if tourism were to ever dip again? What if they continue to lose market share to its competition? I think they are being mindful and are hitting the pause and reset buttons to reavaluate operations at all levels. Disney will streamline and bounce back, they always were the industry standard and I’m sure that they will be again. They just announced they recalled 80% of their workforce which is big news.
    Too many trips to keep track of now! Vacation WDW twice a year so any questions ask freely ☺️

15. Likes baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I, for one, would not mind if Disney lost some market share to other theme parks. Anything to lessen the crowds!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: