Quantcast Are these the "Dark Days" of DisneyWorld?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Are these the "Dark Days" of DisneyWorld?

Maybe it's just me, but there seems to be a lot of negativity about the way things at WDW have been headed. It's even got me to be a bit snippy on here! SO, first off, I apologize to anyone whom i've been grumpy with, especially the moderators and QuadStriker.

But I wonder if it's really gotten worse, or if we tend to remember more fondly than it really was? My Grandma has been dead for 40 years, and all the time I was growing up my Mom complained that every year (according to my Dad) that Grandma's cooking was better and better. You could never top her biscuits, no matter what you did, even with the same recipe.

That said, here are some of the main topics that have gotten me thinking about it:

1. Restaurant quality has gone down - DDP to blame? Budget cuts?

2. Expansion changes (or not)- no Beastly Kingdom, Various refurbs whittled away to almost nothing (Space Mountain), new construction not up to par (Dumbo ride getting damaged, Yeti issues), buildings sitting empty, such as Wonders of Life Pavilion, the Imagination building being reduced to the Figment ride and the awful Michael Jackson movie.

3. Not fixing "the show" - various elements on multiple rides not functioning, and not getting fixed, such as COP, Splash Mountain, EE, the Great Movie Ride, Fantasmic, etc, etc.

4. Poor management decisions - from the Avatarland project announcement, to the Avatarland project suspension, to taking Splash Mountain off of nighttime EMH and adding the Country Bears and Tiki Room.

5. If it's broke, don't fix it. If it works, then let's change it! - New Fast Pass system, interactive queues instead of fixing the rides themselves.

6. Nickle & diming, price increases - charging for after hour parties, the dessert party, the possibility of a $200 add-on for an "interactive Magic Kingdom Game Experience" that is currently on the exit surveys, increase in DDP prices with less offerings, increase in overall park tickets.

7. The basic idea that management at TDO doesn't really care what the consumer wants, that they just want to justify their own decisions, whether they're wanted or not (i.e. the new costumes that CMs at the American Experience have to wear).

I'm not trying to be negative. I believe that all of us *love* WDW or we wouldn't be on here posting. And things have to change. AND no matter what decision that management makes, they can't please everyone.

So, is it really that bad now? Or are we just remembering the good ol' days, and maybe they weren't as good as we think they were?

Lastly, will changes be coming, and we'll all be happy 5-10 years from now with everything that Disney has done to our Vacation Kingdom?
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but there seems to be a lot of negativity about the way things at WDW have been headed. It's even got me to be a bit snippy on here! SO, first off, I apologize to anyone whom i've been grumpy with, especially the moderators and QuadStriker.

But I wonder if it's really gotten worse, or if we tend to remember more fondly than it really was? My Grandma has been dead for 40 years, and all the time I was growing up my Mom complained that every year (according to my Dad) that Grandma's cooking was better and better. You could never top her biscuits, no matter what you did, even with the same recipe.

That said, here are some of the main topics that have gotten me thinking about it:

2. Expansion changes (or not)- no Beastly Kingdom, Various refurbs whittled away to almost nothing (Space Mountain), new construction not up to par (Dumbo ride getting damaged, Yeti issues), buildings sitting empty, such as Wonders of Life Pavilion, the Imagination building being reduced to the Figment ride and the awful Michael Jackson movie.

3. Not fixing "the show" - various elements on multiple rides not functioning, and not getting fixed, such as COP, Splash Mountain, EE, the Great Movie Ride, Fantasmic, etc, etc.

4. Poor management decisions - from the Avatarland project announcement, to the Avatarland project suspension, to taking Splash Mountain off of nighttime EMH and adding the Country Bears and Tiki Room.

5. If it's broke, don't fix it. If it works, then let's change it! - New Fast Pass system, interactive queues instead of fixing the rides themselves.

6. Nickle & diming, price increases - charging for after hour parties, the dessert party, the possibility of a $200 add-on for an "interactive Magic Kingdom Game Experience" that is currently on the exit surveys, increase in DDP prices with less offerings, increase in overall park tickets.

7. The basic idea that management at TDO doesn't really care what the consumer wants, that they just want to justify their own decisions, whether they're wanted or not (i.e. the new costumes that CMs at the American Experience have to wear).

I'm not trying to be negative. I believe that all of us *love* WDW or we wouldn't be on here posting. And things have to change. AND no matter what decision that management makes, they can't please everyone.

So, is it really that bad now? Or are we just remembering the good ol' days, and maybe they weren't as good as we think they were?

Lastly, will changes be coming, and we'll all be happy 5-10 years from now with everything that Disney has done to our Vacation Kingdom?
    Personally I feel like Disney has always been the standard for other theme parks, but lately with cost cutting and neglect, they are going to be just like any other theme park. I hope that things change for the better, and I think there's a great shot of that happening. I think if a redo of DHS or a new area is added like Carsland, then i think this argument becomes null and void. Until then, I'm tired of paying more every year while cuts are being made left and right.

You mention Space Mountain, I'm still amazed at how WDW really screwed this up. SM is a great ride, but it was time for some major refurb work to make it more exciting for the current generation of fans, but no, Disney decided to keep the 1970s style roller coaster layout. This was such a huge swing and a miss on Disney's part.

I'm also extremely upset with cutting of Splash Mountain from Magic Hours, staying on property is a lot more expensive than staying off, Magic Hours is a major perk and is our main reason for staying onsite. If more and more cuts are made to attractions during MHs, then I wonder how many people will book offsite hotels?

It's so saddening to see such a great company be completely ran by bean counters that lack imagination. I hope a regime change is made in the next few years that brings innovation and imagination (how come figment is signing in my head when i type this?) back to the Disney Company.
    82 - Offsite
    85- Fort Wilderness
    88- Polynesian
    96- Offsite
    97- Offsite
    98- Offsite
    08 - French Quarter
    09 - Coronado Springs
    09 - All Star Sports
    09 - Pop Century
    09 - Off Site
    10- French Quarter
    11 - All Star Sports
    14 -Coronado Springs
    15 - All Star Sports
    17 - TBD

Post Thanks / Like

I'll have to say I really miss the pre-DDP and free dining days. Its turned all the really nice restaurants into a zoo basically...I hate to be negative, but we usually do OOP for 1-2 nice meals per trip, just because its better for us. However, the type of people (sorry this is very generalizing and sterotyping, and of course I don't mean everybody) that I've lately encountered at the TS and signature dining places are not really people that you would normally expect to be dining with. In my experience, the restaurants are always packed and super busy, with not enough staff to handle it; the staff seems to care less and less about the dining experience. The overall atmosphere in these places has, to me at least, become more like a food court. Noisy and stressful! And I hate that everything has to be booked so far in advance now...
    1980-2001 CR;CBR 2001 AKL 2002 AKL 2003 AKL 2004 AKL; CB; AKL 2007 WL 2008 AKL 9/09 AKL Jambo 12/10 AKL Kidani 9/11 AKL Kidani 9/12 AKL 12/12 AKL 5/13 AKL 12/13 SS 9/14 BLT 12/14 SS 2/15 Aulani DVC 7/15 CBR 10/15 Yacht Club 12/16 DS 7/17 Aulani 01/19 POR 08/19 Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, and I love the character dining. I think its fun and such an experience. But I hate that the castle is ALWAYS booked, months and months in advance.

I remember the days when my dad and I would walk up to the podium at the castle, and they would seat us, no reservation at all! And the food was so much better.
    1980-2001 CR;CBR 2001 AKL 2002 AKL 2003 AKL 2004 AKL; CB; AKL 2007 WL 2008 AKL 9/09 AKL Jambo 12/10 AKL Kidani 9/11 AKL Kidani 9/12 AKL 12/12 AKL 5/13 AKL 12/13 SS 9/14 BLT 12/14 SS 2/15 Aulani DVC 7/15 CBR 10/15 Yacht Club 12/16 DS 7/17 Aulani 01/19 POR 08/19 Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

I think some of the "ill will" comes from the computer age. I read several WDW blog sites and complaining is running rampant, it drives me crazy! Yes, the price has gone up...EVERYTHING has gone up...look at the price of gasoline. If Disney changes a ride people complain, if they take one away for something newer people complain, if they change nothing people complain; they just can't win.

I love Disney World, my family has had wonderful vacations there and plan to have more in the future. If the price goes up, we just won't be able to go as often...but we still plan to go. We don't need free dining, we don't ask for a break on the price of a room before we go....we just pay the fee and go. Because we are Disney People....we love it there!
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

One thing to consider: the natural phenomenon of familiarity breeding contempt. And we on these boards are all very, very familiar.
    "You used all the glue on purpose!"

Post Thanks / Like

we just pay the fee and go. Because we are Disney People....we love it there!
    No offense to you, but this is exactly why Disney is able to get away with a lot of the things they are doing, people just pay the fee and go.

Until Disney sees a real decline in hotel bookings and ticket purchases, then no change will be made.

I too understand that the cost of everything has increased, but keep in mind that WDW is a vacation destination, I don't know about you, but in my family if the budget gets really tight, then the first thing that is cut is discretionary spending. A vacation would definitely fall into that category for most people. In a "bad economy", WDW's prices have not decreased, but increased nearly 20% since 2008.

At some point a WDW vacation does lose its "value". When that line is crossed, there will be more and more people booking vacations at other places, in my opinion Disney is very close to that line.
    82 - Offsite
    85- Fort Wilderness
    88- Polynesian
    96- Offsite
    97- Offsite
    98- Offsite
    08 - French Quarter
    09 - Coronado Springs
    09 - All Star Sports
    09 - Pop Century
    09 - Off Site
    10- French Quarter
    11 - All Star Sports
    14 -Coronado Springs
    15 - All Star Sports
    17 - TBD

Post Thanks / Like

Well said, Ms. Mode. DW is a magical place, but it still is part of today's economy. EVERYTHING is going up in price, everyone seems less friendly, everyone has to make cost cuts. Still love Disney! Went on the Backstage Tour and the guide said something to the effect that Disney IS a business. Didn't like hearing that, yet how true. IF the crowds weren't at DW, if tDW didn't offer packages to get more people to come, if DW did not make cost cuts, there may not be a DW to go to.
    Live Life Joyfully!
    [FONT="Arial Narrow"][SIZE="2"]'73 - DL;
    '78, '89 - DW -off property;
    '94, 00, '07 - Dixie Landing; '96 - CBR; '98 - CSR;
    '99 - Disney Cruise;
    '01 - WL Christmas Celebration; '03, '06, '12, '13
    '10 POFQ; '11 POP (2x)

Post Thanks / Like

There are four things that really bother me:

1. Charging for things that used to come with the price of admission, or adding a minimum of "amenities" in order to charge; e.g. dessert parties and VIP areas for fireworks viewing. This seems to be a trend with no sign of stopping.

2. The reduction in overall quality of CMs. I don't go looking for rude and indifferent CMs, but I encounter more and more on every trip. (Yes, I know this is partly a matter of the lack of qualified applicants, but only partly.)

3. The seeming neglect of good show. Guests DO notice when something doesn't work properly, and it's disappointing.

4. The monorail shut-downs within an hour of park closing.

Here are things that give me a bit of hope:

1. The imaginative "Magic, Memories and You" was a big surprise to me in terms of how good it was. It was one of those "how do they do that?" shows.

2. The Fantasyland expansion. Although I haven't been since some of the land has opened, I saw construction on our last trip that made me excited about it.

3. Additions to classic rides like Pirates of the Caribbean and the Haunted Mansion that help to keep them fresh.

Overall, I think the speed of Internet information makes it easy for people to complain before things are fixed; it also puts companies' feet to the flame to make sure they're fixed fast. I also think that increased crowds overall make it harder to appreciate the magic.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mendelson View Post
    One thing to consider: the natural phenomenon of familiarity breeding contempt. And we on these boards are all very, very familiar.
    I do agree with your point to some extent, but I have also been feeling like things are changing for the worse in the last 5 years or so. I like change and don't expect old attractions to be around forever, although I do believe some are more classic than others and can stand the test of time. But my sentiment mostly aligns itself with the original poster. I feel like things are being taken away and not replaced, or replaced on the cheap. What made WDW attractions so great was the attention to detail, craftsmanship, and imagination to mention a few of the things that draw us all there. I feel like the parks and resorts are becoming the Wal-mart of theme parks. I'd like to say that people will show their dislike for what's happening by not visiting, but our kids have a way of persuading where our $$ go. I know as mine get older I will not visit as often, and I am a DVC member. I also used to love to visit before kids for, but I think that urge has left me as of late due to the direction I see the corporation heading.
    DVC - BCV
    Last Trip: 09.15
    Next Trip: 05.16

Post Thanks / Like

Well, don't you think if WDW stops the free dining and room discounts they can stop raising the prices?

I say this because as I read what people write here on Intercot if they don't get the free DDP they are going to cancel their trip! I'm just saying that if they offer me a discount SURE I'm going to take it, but my whole vacation doesn't rest on free anything.

Just for the record, we are Disney Poor, and yes, we have limited our spending in other areas for a trip to WDW
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by doodleboy View Post
    I do agree with your point to some extent, but I have also been feeling like things are changing for the worse in the last 5 years or so. I like change and don't expect old attractions to be around forever, although I do believe some are more classic than others and can stand the test of time. But my sentiment mostly aligns itself with the original poster. I feel like things are being taken away and not replaced, or replaced on the cheap. What made WDW attractions so great was the attention to detail, craftsmanship, and imagination to mention a few of the things that draw us all there. I feel like the parks and resorts are becoming the Wal-mart of theme parks. I'd like to say that people will show their dislike for what's happening by not visiting, but our kids have a way of persuading where our $$ go. I know as mine get older I will not visit as often, and I am a DVC member. I also used to love to visit before kids for, but I think that urge has left me as of late due to the direction I see the corporation heading.
    Post like this one are win i beg for a "like" button on Intercot ha.
    82 - Offsite
    85- Fort Wilderness
    88- Polynesian
    96- Offsite
    97- Offsite
    98- Offsite
    08 - French Quarter
    09 - Coronado Springs
    09 - All Star Sports
    09 - Pop Century
    09 - Off Site
    10- French Quarter
    11 - All Star Sports
    14 -Coronado Springs
    15 - All Star Sports
    17 - TBD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Mode View Post
    Well, don't you think if WDW stops the free dining and room discounts they can stop raising the prices?

I say this because as I read what people write here on Intercot if they don't get the free DDP they are going to cancel their trip! I'm just saying that if they offer me a discount SURE I'm going to take it, but my whole vacation doesn't rest on free anything.

Just for the record, we are Disney Poor, and yes, we have limited our spending in other areas for a trip to WDW
    Yes free dinning is still there, but the other promotions aren't what they were a couple of years ago, when the bottom fell out of the economy.

Iger is on record as saying they are going to rollback on discounts and they are prepared to take a hit for it.
    82 - Offsite
    85- Fort Wilderness
    88- Polynesian
    96- Offsite
    97- Offsite
    98- Offsite
    08 - French Quarter
    09 - Coronado Springs
    09 - All Star Sports
    09 - Pop Century
    09 - Off Site
    10- French Quarter
    11 - All Star Sports
    14 -Coronado Springs
    15 - All Star Sports
    17 - TBD

Post Thanks / Like

I still love WDW, heck I just spent 14 days there and 10 days in 2010, exclusively, and don't regret it a bit. While I won't go so far as to call these days "dark" you have a lot of legitimate gripes and questions on the current situation in WDW.

One thing I noticed is a drop in customer service in restaurant, most particularly the quick serves. The service at Everything Pop was downright awful at times.

You may feel negative, but hey, that's what discussion boards are for, to discuss issues, good or bad.

I hope things improve for all of us at WDW!
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChipNDale79 View Post
    No offense to you, but this is exactly why Disney is able to get away with a lot of the things they are doing, people just pay the fee and go.

Until Disney sees a real decline in hotel bookings and ticket purchases, then no change will be made.
    I think that you're right, and I think that is what is most disappointing. Disney IS the standard in theme parks. "We" as the fans expect them to keep up their repuation and the Magic that we have come to love them for. I haven't been to WDW in almost 6 years - we're going in January - I hope I'm not let down. I noticed a lot of little things the last visits to Disneyland in '09 and '10, but I attributed that to the setup of that park being so much different (i.e. cast members walking in the parking lot for their busses, etc. Things you'd never seen in FL.).
    CMCTxMom

Next trips - Disney Cruise December 2013; WDW April 2014 offsite

Previous trips:
    BC Club level June 2013
    BCVillas Jan. 2013
    DLR - 2010, 2011
    Offsite-2007
    CSR-2006
    Offsite DLR, CA-2003
    Disneyland Paris - 2001
    Beach Club - 2000
    Multiple trips in the '80s and '90s

Post Thanks / Like

Yes... somebody gets it!!!!

The "negativity" stems from TDO running WDW into the ground... They give no reason to be positive.. Even when things look positive, they always manage to do something that rips the rug out from under you...

And honestly, how can wanting to hold Disney to its own standards be negative??? Are we supposed to just eat {what} they shovel to us because it is Disney??? Accepting "just good enough" is why WDW is in the state it is in... People want to scream that Disney is the best then they reward them for a declining product...

Part of it may be remembering the good old days when everything worked and management cared... But that doesn't change the fact that Disney still claims to be the best in the industry meanwhile everyone has caught up and in most cases passed them... They are no longer considered by many in the industry as the theme park leader or innovator... The only ones who still believe that?? yes, fans...

Budget cuts are part of it... DDP is part of it... Lee Cockerell is the most to blame... His brainy idea to reduce the food offerings in WDW has led to a decline... it was all about offering the cheapest products for the most cost... His idea... And yes, he made tons in bonus checks because of it... While things have gotten better, there are still better places to eat off property and for half the cost...

Beastly Kingdom was killed by Michael Eisner when DAK ran over budget, WAY over budget... So even back then they are very poor with money... However, that does not excuse them from their poor handling of things today... WDI can still do amazing things (see Carsland) when giving free reign to be creative.. But they aren't allowed that in WDW... TDO stunts their creativity... TDO has no creative active brain cells... it is all about the bottom line and that is it...

Park Ops can be blamed as well.. Once a project is finished, WDI hands it to Ops... They receive the new toy in perfect working condition...Them they neglect it and leave it to rot... They try to find the cheapest way around running the ride.... Show ready be damned... That never would have happened in the past...

Again, Park Ops gets the blame along with TDO management... Once again, show ready be damned...

Avatar was Iger's baby, and possibly mistake... And even more possible: a huge black eye on his tenure... I was/am a supporter of the Avatar project in DAK (though it appears more and more likely it isn't going to happen SHOCKING!!!!), but this was a complete knee jerk reaction... He leaves in 2015 (and more than likelty long before that)... The new CEO (hopefully from outside the company) will have to determine what to do with the Avatar property...

if it's broke, don't fix it, what do they know? they are only tourists... and if it works, let's charge MORE money for it... what do they know? They are only tourists...

You are paying more for less... They take things offline then jack up prices.. Been doing that for the better part of 10 years now... Standard Operating Procedure for TDO...

it is the Rizzo factor... They are only tourists, what do they know... Remember when Michael Eisner said monkeys can run a theme park??? Well, guess we was wrong cause these monkeys can't run anything right...

You aren't being negative... You are being realistic.. In Disney fan universe, being realistic is being negative or all doom and gloom... Don't you know the only way you can be a Disney fan is if you accept the crud they pass off to consumers??? The only true fans are those who always talk glowingly of a declining product... Be critical of the poor decisions, then you are not a true fan...

The one thing that makes me laugh is when you are critical and live in the real world instead of a pixie dusted laced fantasy world, the pitch forks come out to try to shut you up... Is it anyone's fault that people can't live in reality or are blind to the decline??? And why should those who want to hold Disney accountable be shut up??? Sad commentary on society that we need to shut up those who speak the truth and refuse to just with the brainwashed masses...

Is it bad??? Well, it could be worse... Not everything is bad... Just a large portion of it... Remember, DL went through the same decline and dark days before the 50th... Then TDA/TDB woke up, replaced the do-nothing management team that ran the park into the ground and replaced them with people who cared... Now, DL is rated way ahead of WDW (when the opposite was always true for years)... Which leads me to:

yes, changes will be coming... Slowly, but they will be... Iger leaves in 2015 (again, more than likely before that)... he'll be escorting Staggs or Rasulo or both out the door with him... Meg Crofton will be leaving as well (for her own personal reasons which will not get mentioned)... Management changes will no doubt occur during this time... Just watch for who replaces Meg...

The other thing is, WDW is getting its backside handed to it by a certain boy wizard up the road... The numbers are not adding up for WDW anymore and they are running scared... Hotel occupancy down to 60% (usually in the 80's), Magical Express not as busy as it used to be, spending in WDW is really down despite the spending income (higher prices will do that), and attendance is lagging (Disney's domestic parks up only 1% carried on the shoulders by DCA and DL getting double digit percentage gains in attendance)... So they will be forced to do something... And that something is currently in the works... I wouldn't doubt if they announce it relatively soon...
    Last edited by Melanie; 09-06-2012 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Implied language
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I really do think there needs to be a new attitude at WDW management. For instance, take my last trip. They were just rolling out a new computer system at the resorts and it crashed. Everyone that checked in on the day that we did lost their dining plans, room reservations, and any requests that had been made. I usually don't make requests, but since this was a birthday trip for my wife, we had made a couple.

Over the next three days we were repeatedly told that everything would be fixed and to just enjoy our stay. The only problem is that it wasn't. I had to spend over four hours of valuable park time in the concierge line to work out overcharges, room selections, etc. That doesn't even coint the time I spent on my phone while at the parks trying to get it all worked out.

They finally got everything settled and we got a room upgrade and a free night, but the overall effect on the trip was my first Disney epic fail. I even thought about making it my last trip, and I have loved Disney forever.

My point is that the whole issue was mismanaged. The computer issue never should have happened. When it did happen, those guests affected should have been given the VIP treatment and everything cleared up immediately. We should have known that top brass was working the problem and not just the poor CM's at the resort level. ( I had the distinct impression that noone had any idea what was going on) Yes, the free night was nice, but the hours lost and the ill feelings we had (have) can't be undone. Part of the magic died for us that trip, and it didn't need to happen.

Something needs to change.
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Mode View Post
    I think some of the "ill will" comes from the computer age. I read several WDW blog sites and complaining is running rampant, it drives me crazy! Yes, the price has gone up...EVERYTHING has gone up...look at the price of gasoline. If Disney changes a ride people complain, if they take one away for something newer people complain, if they change nothing people complain; they just can't win.

I love Disney World, my family has had wonderful vacations there and plan to have more in the future. If the price goes up, we just won't be able to go as often...but we still plan to go. We don't need free dining, we don't ask for a break on the price of a room before we go....we just pay the fee and go. Because we are Disney People....we love it there!
    Very well said and I agree 100%.
    POP 05, 06, 07, 09
    All Star Sports 08
    AKKV 10
    CBR 9/14 -25, 2011
    POR 9/9/2012 - 9/20/2012
    8/31/2013 thru 9/1/2013 All Star Sports
    9/2/2013 thru 9/13/2013 Caribbean Beach Preferred Room

Post Thanks / Like

Things are definitely different. I know that our 2001 trip we raved about the service. we stayed at the Poly and we felt like royalty. It's just not the same now. In fact, we just recently stayed onsite at Universal and I know their hotels are Loews, but boy did they go out of their way to give good service. Really and truly. I haven't felt that way about a Disney hotel stay in a while I'm sad to say. I'll give you an example. We stayed at Aulani recently. Now I know it's not in Disneyworld but itis Disney. We checked in pretty late around 10 pm. The cast member who checked us in was very nice and she got another cast member to get us leis. She then told us go out to the front in the morning and see the cultural representatives because they give out different leis each day. So the next day we were exploring and made it a point to go see the ladies in the front. We asked and they said didn't you get a lei at check in??? You only get one! Sort of snippy. I explained what the other CM had told us and she said sorry that's wrong, everyone only gets one. Well OK fine. We really weren't trying to get more than our share but the two up there made us feel bad for asking. Also, my husband had paid out of pocket for an airport lei greeting for all of us so it wasn't like we needed them. However it was not a very Disney -like experience and quite honestly, poor service in general.

I worked for Disney in recent years and while I was there it was very good. But the economy turned and things changed, and it was not the same. And although I enjoy the parks and always will, I see things with a different point of view now. And yes, it sometimes spoils the magic.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

SO, first off, I apologize to anyone whom i've been grumpy with, especially the moderators and QuadStriker.
    I never felt like you were grumpy, just passionate.

As for the "Disney Downturn", It does feel like a change of high brass management is the only way the attitude of "get every last dollar" will change.

I feel like the economy crash also has played a very heavy role in this.
    Trista and Jeffrey
    Happily Ever After 10-30-11
    Disney Wedding Pavilion

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: