Quantcast Should we postpone

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

View Poll Results: Should we postpone?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, don't postpone

48 96.00%
  • Yes wait for a better weather week

2 4.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Should we postpone

Hello all! My family has been planning and looking forward to our first Disney trip scheduled for next week sept 2-sept 7. We are coming from Cleveland, OH and were surprised to see the Cleveland forecast is currently better than Orlando's We've been on the emotional roller coaster watchin the forecast go back and forth trying to figure out if we should postpone. As it stands it shows 60% rain for like half our trip and 30% the other half. We've even seen it say 0% within past couple days but no more. I feel awful for all the folks suffering as a result of Isaac and know our problem here pales in comparison but this is likely the only time we'll be able to take our kids to Disney (while they are kids) so we really want it to be a great time. Any advice? I'm almost of the mind we wait a few weeks but who is to say it will be any better? Plus I know my kids will flip if we postpone. Any advice??????

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

First of all

Second, I just looked at our resident Strmchsr's report here and don't think you have much to worry about. When it's hot likes it's been, afternoon storms as just part of Disney life. We usually just put on our ponchos and carry on. Last week it rained every afternoon for 2 or so hours and it never slowed us down.

I say go ahead with the trip and don't let a little rain dampen your spirits.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Intercot!

By September 2nd, the remnants of what was Isaac will be heading towards the Northeast and should not be affecting weather in Disney World.

The forecast for this time of year in the Orlando area is pretty monotonous. Every day when you wake up and turn on the weather it will show some chance of rain which typically will vary from 30 - 60% on a daily basis. It it's 2:00 p.m., it must be raining somewhere in the greater Orlando area. Pop-up thunderstorms are a daily occurrence. Will you get one every day? Not likely. You could even find that a day in Epcot stays entirely dry while the Magic Kingdom was soaked with a thunderous downpour.

Some of the storms that form in the afternoons and roll through can be pretty intense but they are usually short lived. Bring ponchos or umrellas with you and go about your daily plans.

I suspect you'll have a wonderful time!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

When we go in August there is normally a shower/thunderstorm every day; they last about 30 minutes or so and then you could never tell it even happened. There are plenty of things to do at DWD even if it is raining. I wouldn't cancel if I were you!
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

At Disney now. There have been days it said100% chance of rain, it did rain but only for a little while. The rain never kept us out of a park, and it never rains for very long. Even during Isaac it only rained a couple hours during the morning. I say go for it.
    Sept 2003 All Star Movies
    Jan 2007 Pop Century
    Jan 2008 All Star Movies
    Jan 2009 All Star Music
    Aug 2012 Art of Amination/Carribean Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

As other have said, !

Living in the area, I know that there is a chance of rain virtually EVERY day during the summer, most of it just a quick passing shower mixed with an occasional thunderstorm. It's just a fact of life down here.

Nothing drastic is forecast for next week. C'mon down, bring some ponchos and some sunny optimism, and if you get some "liquid sunshine" during your stay, laugh it off and enjoy!!
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

....to our little family we like to call INTERCOT!!!!

As you can see by your poll, we are pretty much of the mind that unless there is a dire emergency (financial, physical, familial, etc.,) there should be no reason to postpone a scheduled WDW trip.

Weather is pretty much a non-issue in planning trips --
    Summer: Hot - temps CAN get into the 100's and rarely drop out of the 80's for highs, humid (90%), chance of rain (pop up thunderstorms, normally) daily.
    Fall: Not quite so hot - temps in the low 90's down to the low 80's for highs - and humid (75%), slightly lesser chance of daily rain.
    Winter: Cooler and drier, although there can still be days that hit the high-70's, there can also be days where the temps barely get into the 40's.
    Spring: Warm, dry (wildfire season!), but variable temps - 90's down to 50's for highs

If there should be inclement weather during your visit, there are lots of indoor activities -- rides, shows, shopping (in parks OR Downtown Disney [DTD],) eating (my favorite!!) -- as well as just enjoying getting wet in a Disney park!! If they are calling for rain, grab a poncho (get some at your local Dollar Store/WalMart/KMart/etc. and bring with you) and enjoy the lower crowd levels (some people really don't like to go out in the rain!! LOL)

Make the most of your visit, whatever happens! Get 1st Visit buttons and wear them wherever you go; If you are celebrating anything - birthday, anniversary, etc. - let them know at your resort, at table service restaurants, etc. -- you might (no promises) get some very pleasant surprises! [Wish I knew about these on our first visit!!!]

Enjoy!!!!
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

to Intercot!!!

Keep a check on the WDW forecast at the link Linda gave you above (though that changes with a new thread Sept 1, still same forum, though). You shouldn't have any worries.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Here in Florida it can rain just down the street from you and be sunny. The showers do not last, but it will be very warm and humid. Don't let the weather ruin your fun. Listen to Strmchsr. He knows his stuff.
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to INTERCOT! Agree with everything that's been said - don't postpone and have a wonderful time!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Welcome to Intercot....

I leave on the 2nd as well, as far as weather I am hoping that Issac does not delay my flight.

As for the weather at WDW a little rain adds to the fun.. I have been there between two hurricane and a couple of tropical storms and its still WDW.

Have a great time and get a poncho and go for it..
    Itchy for another trip

Caribbean Beach 1989, 90, 92
    All St Movies 1999, 04, 05, 11
    All St Sports 2006
    Pop 2007, 08 x2, 09 x2, 10, 12 x2,13,14,15,16,17,18,2021,23
    POR 2010 x2, 11
    Coronado Springs 2019

Post Thanks / Like

I used to joke to my family that it rains in Florida every day for 15 minutes. As others have said, rain is an expected daily occurrence in the warmer months. If you wait for a better week, you may not get it.

A few trips ago, on our last day in the MK, it rained all day. It was one of the only trips we've ever had when that happened (it was in June). But we spent the whole day in the rain and had a great time. And compared to Chicago, or probably Cleveland, a day in the rain in Florida is very different from a day in the rain here. You will be fine.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Go. Don't even worry about it. It rains all the time in Florida. You will never be able to plan a trip around a time where rain is not a possibility.

Take some crocs for the kids and if it looks like rain, put those on for the day. Bring ponchos and grab a small towel from the hotel (like a hand towel) and bring that with you as well. If it does rain, duck into a ride, shop, or restaurant to wait it out. The towel is nice to have to dry off wet little arms and legs that will feel REALLY cold once you go into the arctic blast Air Conditioned WDW buildings.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

WELCOME TO INTERCOT!!!

a great idea to bring a towel to dry off arms and legs!!

but...fer sure...GO!!

First Visit Pins a MUST for all of you!!

ENJOY THE MAGIC!
    Carolyn & Nikki - Two sisters whose first visit was the day before the Magic began...and have been hooked ever since!

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for going.

Over that last 7 days it has rained every day at my house. As many others have said rain patterns are a little different in FL. I think the longest storm lasted an hour.

And there is plenty of time for the forecast to change. We went in April for my daughter's birthday. All the forecasts said 1005 chance of rain every day. We had rain 1 day and not even for the whole day. The last day we were there was supposed to be the worst and it ended up clear and sunny.

Don't worry and have fun.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Intercot!

And as others have said, don't let a little rain stop you from all the magic that is WDW!
    ~Sonya~
    WDW Trips:
    01 - Contemporary
    02 - Disney Cruise
    09 - OKW
    11 - AKL-Kidani
    12 - AKL-Kidani
    12 Christmas - Boardwalk Villas
    13 Halloween - Contemporary
    14 - Bay Lake Tower
    15 - Vero Beach & AKL-Kidani Village
    16 - CBR & Saratoga Springs
    17 - Saratoga Springs
    18 - Bay Lake Tower

Post Thanks / Like

As others have mentioned rain is part of life at WDW. Pack umbrellas, ponchos, and if you plan to use a stroller get a rain cover for that too. It can be super hot in early September so a little rain might not feel too bad.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

to Intercot!

I agree with everyone else...no reason to postpone! We usually go to WDW in late May/early June and have the same 30%-60% chance of rain in the forecast every single day. We usually end up with only one or two showers or quick thunderstorms during the whole trip! One thing that's great about WDW is that a lot of the rides and queue areas are indoors or covered, so there are lots of places to duck into if it does rain and lots of things to still enjoy. And as others have said, be sure to check out Strmchsr's forecasts right here on Intercot. His weather predictions are always more accurate than any weather website out there!! Have a great trip!
    Laura
    "Any wish is possible. All it takes is a little courage to set it free!" Jiminy Cricket
    25+ trips to WDW and counting! Stayed at: Poly, WL, Kidani, SSR, BLT, BCV, CSR, VB, POR, Jambo, OKW, CR, VGF & BW!
    Next Up: Nov 2017 - SSR!
    DVC Member & AP holder since 2008!

Post Thanks / Like

My Disney motto: "A rainy day at Disney beats a sunny day at home."

Frakly you have to take Orlando weather forecasts with a grain of salt. Our last trip in July had similar rain percentages and we only got caught in the rain once. We just put on our ponchos and went on about our trip and waited out the storm by snaking on a funnel cake. After an hour rain delay, the rain subsided and had a wonderful day at MK
    Holiday Villas (2000 & 2001)
    Parc Corniche (2002 & 2007)
    Comfort Inn Lake Buena vista (2008)
    Port Orleans Riverside (2009 & 2010)
    Pop Century Resort (2011 & 2012)

Post Thanks / Like

GO! We LOVE the rain at Disney. Our best vacation memories as a family all involve rain. On this last trip we managed to have Blizzard Beach all to ourselves for two hours after a thunderstorm closed the park for an hour. I remember one May it rained everyday, almost all day for an entire week. We were soaked but had a fantastic trip. If given the choice of fighting crowds or rain, I choose rain everytime! Go and have a great trip.....but take a poncho.
    My first home is in Coastal Georgia, 30 feet from the saltwater marsh, and 3.5 hours from WDW!My second home is the Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort!CR,Poly,GF,BC,BW,WL,AKL,Dolphin,Swan,DL,CSR,POFQ,C BR,POP,AS,Vero.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: