Quantcast My Rant on the Be Our Guest Menu - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I may be wrong, but it seems that I've read threads where restaurants have brought children the "standard" kids fare when it was requested. I'm sure this will be continued at BOG.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    I may be wrong, but it seems that I've read threads where restaurants have brought children the "standard" kids fare when it was requested. I'm sure this will be continued at BOG.
    That was not our experience. Unless you contact special diets prior to your trip, they cannot bring you "off menu" items at most restaurants. The places that will do this, such as 'Ohana, do so because they don't offer a kids menu. However, even at Kona, we were unable to get anything other than the items listed on the kids menu.

I am happy to at least be seeing whole wheat buns on the burgers for kids now, and even thought those nuggets look gross, they DO have a whole grain breading and they are all white meat chicken, so they are actually a better option than the old chicken nuggets (which were about 50% "batter"). My kids are no strangers to whole grains. In fact, they really do not like white bread at all and everything in our house is whole wheat, reduced sugar, lots of fresh fruits and veggies, etc. However, on vacation, things change for them and they don't eat like they do at home (for the most part). My younger son inhales fruit at home, but on our recent 9 day vacation, would NOT touch it. At all.

My issue with this particular kids menu is that none of the items are of the "comfort food" variety, yet the ADULTS get a grilled cheese? Why can't they simply offer a kid's Croque Monsiuer as well? They can put it on whole grain bread...my son would eat it. And, isn't Mac and Cheese essentially a french dish? They can use those same "whole grain macaroni" noodles and serve them with a cheese sauce (made with REAL cheese, not processed stuff) and that would be a lot more kid friendly (and more authentic) than the same pasta with marinara and mozzerella that they have all over property! Some simple tweaks would make this kids menu a lot more universally appealing to kids. I think it should not be that hard for there to be more than 3 or 4 kids menu options. This is the real problem. Go ahead and offer the grilled fish, turkey meatloaf, kids steak, but ALSO offer some other options. The cruise line can do it. It's NOT that hard.

Straight from the Adult menu: Pork rack chop with au gratin pasta ....so, they offer the adults "macaroni and cheese" as a side dish, but the kids can't have the same option? That's what I mean...they have the ACTUAL ingredients in the kitchen and have the ACTUAL dish available, yet the kids menu doesn't reflect that option.

For what it's worth, I think the menu looks great for adults. I'd like to eat here!
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Really looking forward to trying it when we're there next! I am really pleased about the healthier kids choices. Our youngest is picky and it's possible she'll turn her nose up at them. But, that will not stop us from trying it. If the girls don't like the kids menu (even the picky one gets sick of the same foods for several days) then we look at adult menu options or appetizer options, sometimes just a salad and bread works fine. Actually, if I don't like the kids menu, I make sure they get to choose from those other options too. Overall, it's not a stress factor for us and we're grateful for that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheVBs View Post
    Really looking forward to trying it when we're there next! I am really pleased about the healthier kids choices. Our youngest is picky and it's possible she'll turn her nose up at them. But, that will not stop us from trying it. If the girls don't like the kids menu (even the picky one gets sick of the same foods for several days) then we look at adult menu options or appetizer options, sometimes just a salad and bread works fine. Actually, if I don't like the kids menu, I make sure they get to choose from those other options too. Overall, it's not a stress factor for us and we're grateful for that.
    I hear ya! That's why we won't even consider the dining plan. Too many restrictions. I think we could pull off eating here with one of our sons, as we'd just order him the adult croque monsieur, minus the ham, along with a salad. The little one, though, he's the real challenge. I could probably just ask for a basket of bread and some chocolate milk and he'd be happy, but I wouldn't be.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

I agree! We paid for the dining plan once, never again. We're happy to get it free though! But, if we do have the free dining plan we'll pay out of pocket for something if we need to. Last trip we were at ASM with the free QS plan. So we were paying out of pocket for the occasional TS meals we wanted. That made it easier to pick and choose from the menus and we still didn't have any problem using up our credits.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Chicken Nuggets

Without debating whether chicken nuggets should even EXIST in world, my question is, why are the chicken nuggets at WDW so impossibly AWFUL? Dry, hard reheated mostly 'breading' cruds that are so rock-like it makes sense to call them "nuggets"?

You'd think an operation as big Walt Disney World would have a buyer saying to the kid's chicken chunk corporations, "You want this contract, show me a product I'D be willing to eat."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goes4FastPass View Post
    Without debating whether chicken nuggets should even EXIST in world, my question is, why are the chicken nuggets at WDW so impossibly AWFUL? Dry, hard reheated mostly 'breading' cruds that are so rock-like it makes sense to call them "nuggets"?

You'd think an operation as big Walt Disney World would have a buyer saying to the kid's chicken chunk corporations, "You want this contract, show me a product I'D be willing to eat."
    Um, money?

But, seriously, my son loves those chicken nuggets because they don't have any weird textures within them. He has a problem with chicken tenders due to the slimy, gummy tenderloin that runs through them. DS has major oral sensory issues, and chicken nuggets are on the short list of foods that he will put in his mouth, so we are fans of them.

If he didn't like them, I'd totally spend the extra money on the adult chicken breast tenders, but he prefers the nuggets.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

I can't say I've ever experienced any dry, reheated, hard chicken nuggets in WDW. I actually find them to be better than any fast food joints offering.

But back on topic. If I had one complaint about BOG it would be the desserts. I'm a bit underwhelmed by their offerings. They build a "fancier" TS restaurant with some unique food & the best they can do for dessert is cupcakes & cream puffs? Regardless, I'm looking forward to eating there.
    ºoº Joe ºoº
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Dolphin - May '99
    Pop - July '04
    ASMu - Sept '05
    Pop - Sept '06
    Pop - Sept '07
    Pop - Sept '08
    Pop - Sept '09
    Pop - Sept '10 HONEYMOON
    Pop - Sept '11
    Pop - Nov '12
    Pop NYE '13/'14
    NEXT TRIP - Pop - Nov 9th-16th '14

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SHORTY View Post
    I can't say I've ever experienced any dry, reheated, hard chicken nuggets in WDW. I actually find them to be better than any fast food joints offering.

But back on topic. If I had one complaint about BOG it would be the desserts. I'm a bit underwhelmed by their offerings. They build a "fancier" TS restaurant with some unique food & the best they can do for dessert is cupcakes & cream puffs? Regardless, I'm looking forward to eating there.
    I cannot wait for the cream puffs! LOL! Just goes to show you that they will never please everyone.
    Lori Ann
    Mother of twin 9 year old girls
    Dixie Landings 11/96 (honeymoon)
    Dixie Landings/Cruise 12/2000
    CBR 11/2005
    Riverside - 9/2006,
    FQ - 11/2007, 9/2008, 9/2009
    CSR 5/2010, AKL 5/2010 (split stay)
    FQ 11/2010
    CSR 11/2011
    CBR 05/2012
    GF 06/2012
    CSR 11/2012

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

I'm so bad, I've been trying to find a way to get both a cupcake AND a cream puff without the family calling me out.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheDuckRocks View Post
    I'm so bad, I've been trying to find a way to get both a cupcake AND a cream puff without the family calling me out.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

can anyone point me to a page that has the menu?
    First trip August 1975

Honeymoon trip Sept-Oct 2010

ºoº It all started with a Mouse.

Your trip is what you want it to be and it will turn out just how you want it.

Post Thanks / Like

There's a general description as well as links to the lunch and dinner menus on this page on the Disney site: http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/be-our-guest/
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Different for sure. I wouldn't take a really picky child, I guess - but last time my daughter was on the child's menu she was getting so frustrated with the fish sticks/macaroni/hot dogs that she was begging to order off the adult menu. Only place she had a NICE meal on the childrens menu was Cali Grill - but my kids have always liked their vegetables...including the green beans! LOL

Post Thanks / Like

I see nothing too wrong with the menu aside from needing to drop some of the french words.

We will definitely hit the restaurant for lunch, dinner is a maybe. I am sure Disney will change the menu when they do post meal surveys of the guests eating there.

Judgement is reserved. But I can see issues with young picky eaters like I was when I was younger. I was a mostly spagetti, burgers and chicken kid
    First trip August 1975

Honeymoon trip Sept-Oct 2010

ºoº It all started with a Mouse.

Your trip is what you want it to be and it will turn out just how you want it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheDuckRocks View Post
    lol - Let me know if you figure a way. As my niece says, my sweet tooth has it's own stomach!

Post Thanks / Like

just my .02 cents. i like the menu.

and I love the fact no alcohol in MK. of all the parks it is the most family oriented.
    last year we went to Universal, and they had a refreshement stand for beer, and it was just kind of strange to see, and looked really out of place.
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DNS View Post
    lol - Let me know if you figure a way. As my niece says, my sweet tooth has it's own stomach!
    I got it covered! My sister is going to order the cream puff and I'm getting the cupcake and we're going to share. My fellow Weight Watchers will be so proud of me.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

By the way, in that link to the BOG page on the Disney site, did anyone else notice something very interesting on a trolley cart in the lower right-hand side of the illustration? Something a tad Remy-like?
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

....I'm guessing that all the "fine diners" who will eat at Be Our Guest will be happy that they will now be able to get wine or beer with their meals.

....menu still seems to be not really "kid friendly", unless they can easily fall back on the kiddie staples of chicken fingers, hot-dogs, mac-n-cheese.
    April '04- POP
    "Jersey Week" '04 - ASM
    "Jersey Week" '05- POP
    "Jersey Week" '06- POP
    "Jersey Week"'07- DCL & POP
    "Jersey Week" '08- POP
    Dec '09- Jan '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '11- POP
    Aug-Sept '12- POP
    Aug-Sept '13- POP
    Aug '17 - POP