Quantcast Ideas for surprising the kids

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ideas for surprising the kids

We are planning a trip in November for our family of 4. We are trying to keep it a secret from the kids (boys ages 9 and 3). Please give me some ideas on how to surprise them. The oldest will go to school the day we are leaving and then we will go to the airport. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Love surprising the kids. On our first trip we woke them up by telling them we were going to Disney now. My 2 yr old was not impressed he went back to sleep. How about Mickey pancakes for breakfast before school? Or Disney sign on car when pick him up at school. Better just drive to airport have Disney music playing in car. Best surprise for my kids was a trip with Grandparents, aunts, uncle. Met in the food court of POR. The look on my kids faces was priceless. Have fun

Post Thanks / Like

I would go to youtube and check out 'Disney Surprise Trip' and mull over what others have done. Bring a box of tissues cause you WILL need them.

~~~~șoș~~~~șoș~~~~șoș~~~~șoș~~~~șoș~~~~șoș~~~~șoș~~~~
    Stayed: Contemorary (1), Polynesian (Many), Old Key West (Many), Floridian (1), Yatch Club (!), Boardwalk (1)

Post Thanks / Like

We woke the kids at 4am the day we were leaving and told them then. We didn't get the reaction we were looking for, it took a while to sink in. When we got to the airport, that's when the excitement grew. I like the sign on the car idea. How about designing cupcakes or cookies with "Going to Disney" or something along those lines. Give them to them when they get in the car as a special after school snack

Recent Trips:
    -OKW Aug 16 - Aug 23 / Royal Pacific Resort Universal Studios Aug 23 - Aug 26, 2013
    -Universal Studios Hard Rock Hotel Nov 14 - Nov 18, 2014
    -Saratoga Springs June 11 -18 2016

Next Trip:
    -Port Orleans Riverside / Saratoga Springs Sept 8 - 17, 2017

Post Thanks / Like

I saw a trip report one time where people ordered pizza the night before and intercepted the box and wrote a message from Mickey on the underside of the lid that was adorable. Another would be to have "Mickey" write them a letter inviting them to come visit, or the always popular wakeup suprise we are going to Mouseville! Oooh another one you could do would be to get those break cookies and make one big Mickey shape cookie for a suprise after dinner the night before?

There's no way they won't be extatic! I hope yall have an amazing time!!
    You can't take the sky from me

Post Thanks / Like

Last year I surprised my boys. We were leaving the morning of their birthday. So the night before I told them I had them an early birthday present but they had to open it together. I had a large box and had it wrapped. I had balloons filled inside the box so when they opened it the balloons floated out of the box and hit them in the face! Under the balloons I had a letter that I typed with a picture of mickey and friends on it. It was a letter "from" mickey telling them that they were coming to see mickey in the morning and so forth. I also had them some new mickey shirts inside that I had ordered from the disney store. Also thier autograph books and thier mickey ears and some little red backpacks that I had gotten at the dollar store and painted mickey's head on them and thier names. It took them a few seconds to process it all but they were so excited and will probably never forget it.
    1994 POFQ
    2003 ALL STARS SPORTS
    2007 OFF SITE
    Sept. 2009 POP
    Oct. 2010 POR
    Oct.2011 POR
    Sept. 2012 POR
    Sept. 2013 POR
    Sept. 2014 CBR
    Sept. 2016 POR
    Sept. 2017 POR

Post Thanks / Like

I can tell you one thing NOT to do. Don't tell them you are taking them to another place they like and then change it to Disney in the end. I have seen so many YouTube videos where kids get so mad/upset when they are told they aren’t going to so and so place they thought they were. Other then that I would check out YouTube there are some really cool ideas...

Good luck!!!
    Been there, done that and going back!!! See ya real soon !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Camden'smom View Post
    We are planning a trip in November for our family of 4. We are trying to keep it a secret from the kids (boys ages 9 and 3). Please give me some ideas on how to surprise them. The oldest will go to school the day we are leaving and then we will go to the airport. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    Wow. I feel like I could have wrote this myself. Only difference is my oldest son is 7. But everything else is the same (leaving after school in November, younger son is 3). I never knew about the You Tube videos so I will have to check them out for fun ideas. I know my older son will start to quesiton things if he saw me packing. Some how I will have to pack after they go to bed and hide the suitcases. Happy planning.
    If only everyone was as happy as Goofy is...
    89 - offsite
    90 - Disneyland
    93- offsite
    May 01 - POR
    May 06 - AKL
    February/March 07 - CS
    Nov/Dec 07 - Offsite
    Sept/Oct 08 - POFQ and DCL Wonder
    May 10 - WL
    Nov 12 - AoA
    Nov 14 - CBR

Next trip - January 2016- POR - My first 1/2 Marathon

Post Thanks / Like

Show up at your sons school with your 3yo (making arrangements in advance) and Maybe you could have the school do an announcement before the end of the school day stating your sons names and SURPRISE, you're going to Disney.
    Jodie

Post Thanks / Like

One year we went "camping", which we did a lot of in those days. Picked up the kids from school with the car already loaded, told them we were going to Florida camping at the beach. They were only a little suspicious at first, but when we got to the Orlando area, our youngest age 7, started recognizing landmarks from previous trips. His older brother had fallen asleep in the car and when kid brother figured out we were pulling into WDW, he woke his brother up shouting: "We're going to Disney World, we're going to Disney World", he was so excited and his brother was just sort of dumbfounded, waking up and realizing where we were. It was great! We "camped" at Wilderness Lodge for a long weekend, and it made great memories. They still talk about the "surprise" to this day (now 19 & 16).

A couple of years later, we had a pop-up camper and tried the "camping" surprise again, going to Fort Wilderness but telling the boys we were just "going camping" somewhere in Florida. But they were older then, and too smart to be fooled again; as soon as we started heading south they figured it out.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

We did the last-minute surprise think when my daughter was 4 1/2... I'm not sure I'd do it again. She had no idea - we made it all the way to the airpoirt before we told her what was going on. I thought her reaction would be bigger. DS was only 18 mo, so I wasn't excpecting much there. We're planning to go again in January, the kids are now 4 and 7 - we're going to tell them as part of Chrismas (If I can wait that long!). That will give them about three weeks to get excited and help plan our days, but not TOO long so that they go crazy waiting. I like the aspect of helping build their excitement, though. DD7 will be really excited to help plan rides and dining (even though ADRs are already made). Just something to think about... Good luck!
    CMCTxMom

Next trips - Disney Cruise December 2013; WDW April 2014 offsite

Previous trips:
    BC Club level June 2013
    BCVillas Jan. 2013
    DLR - 2010, 2011
    Offsite-2007
    CSR-2006
    Offsite DLR, CA-2003
    Disneyland Paris - 2001
    Beach Club - 2000
    Multiple trips in the '80s and '90s

Post Thanks / Like

There are so many ways to surprise them. We had Cinderella call my daughter to tell her. I don't remember the site to schedule it on Disney's website, but DD loved it.

This trip, we are flying out at 6AM. We will have to leave for the airport a little before 4:30AM. DD is going to know something is up when her grandma is spending the night and we are parking at the park and ride.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

We are surprising my kids with a December trip this year. They are a little older (17, 11, & 9, plus DD's friend, 17). I'm planning to invite DD's friend for dinner the night before we leave, and while we're eating, tell all of them to make sure and have everything packed by that night because we'll be leaving early the next morning. Of course, they'll have no idea what I'm talking about. Then, I'm going to say, "Oh! Did I forget to tell y'all? We're going to Disney World tomorrow!" They are gonna go nuts! I just know it!
    Wrong will be right, when Aslan comes in sight,
    At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more,
    When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death,
    And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.

Micki

Post Thanks / Like

We surprised my DD with our trip last week. She didn't know where we were going. We arrived Saturday evening and stayed in a hotel at Downtown Disney that night before checking in at CSR on Sunday morning. We told her we were going to Disneyworld when we were in the parking lot of CSR at 7am Sunday morning. Her eyes got huge and then she pointed at a bus and said "right now!?!" It was too cute.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

do a treasure hunt at the house 3 days before with clues that is what I just did and I had the personal maps made and that was the last clue...my DD loved it and My DH thought it was funny even had clue in the freezer..that was my dole whip clue... have fun on doing whatever to suprise them. So much fun doing a surprise!!
    Just keep swimming Just keep swimming

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: