Quantcast Best choice for party of 5

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Best choice for party of 5

We are hoping to visit WDW next summer with our DD and our two nieces. That means five .... The girls are 19, 19, and 21. So they are not kids anymore. My DD was there 2 years ago but my nieces have not been there in over ten years.

So is it better to stay at a resort that sleeps five or better to get two rooms? And what do you suggest for either? Money is a factor. We would like to keep costs down. All suggestions are welcomed. Thanks
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Cruise Disney Wonder 2006
    Wilderness Lodge, 04, 06, 08, 10
    Allstar Movies 02
    Allstar Sports 96. 98, 00
    Offsite 2015 x2, 90,89, 85

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Based at on the ages of the girls and since you are trying to keep costs down, I think your best options (depending on how much you want to spend) would be two rooms at a value or a moderate or the AOA suites.

We are usually a party of 5 (my family plus my mom) and we often stay in the Deluxes because most hold 5, but you are still in one room and you only have one bathroom. As my kids get older,w e are finding it more crammed and having been moving up to the villas or two rooms.

I'm thinking with 3 girls an extra bathroom is a huge plus. Plus the extra room gives everyone a bit of privacy.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

We are a family of five (older teenage and college kids now) and have many times stayed at POP and gotten two rooms. Biggest deal for us is two bathrooms for five people getting up and out in the morning! One time we splurged and did two rooms at POR, which also worked well.

Post Thanks / Like

The suites or two rooms for the sake of having two bathrooms.
    There seems to be no sign of intelligent life anywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Least expensive would be two rooms at a value.

Post Thanks / Like

Keep in mind that the cost is also determined on what time of year you are going. For my most recent trip, 1 room at POR for 5 with my PIN code discount was cheaper than 2 rooms at a value.

We have 2 teen girls (16 & 15) and a 10 year old boy; he got the Murphy bed. Everyone was quite comfortable with sleeping.

As mentioned, the only real down side was only 1 bathroom...guess who had to get the last shower each night?? Also, every square inch of the bathroom counter had some sort of beauty product on it!

2018 Port Orleans Riverside
    2012 Port Orleans Riverside
    2011 Port Orleans French Quarter
    2009 Grand Floridian
    2007 Contemporary
    2006 Grand Floridian
    2004 Polynesian
    1980 Day trip to MK

Post Thanks / Like

With the youngest in your party being 19, I think that one room at POR would be awful. Two rooms at a value is still cheaper than a suite at AOA or ASM.

Are you opposed to staying offsite? I've heard of some *great* deals for some awesome off-site places.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

We are a family of six, and now stay offsite. We were able to get a 2br/2ba condo for a fraction of what Disney charges. I'd recommend staying offsite if you'll have a car.
    80&89 Off-site, HONEYMOON 97 Port Orleans, '02 & '03 Offsite, '04 Poly Concierge, '05 Poly,'07 Contemporary, Feb. 08 GF, Dec. '08 Poly, May '10 Offsite, Mar.'11 FW Cabin,May '12 and July'12 Wyndham Bonnet Creek,July'13 Windsor Hills, March '14 AofA, Fourth of July '14 Poly,June 2015 SSR

Post Thanks / Like

I do the 2 connecting rooms at POP. Usually cheaper than 1 moderate room.
    1. 2 baths
    2. More space
    3. Fewer "extra adult" charges
    4. Older kids can communicate if desired and go their own way on the WDW transporataion.
    5. 2 small fridges, rather than 1
    Boardwalk
    Animal Kingdom Jambo
    Coronado Springs
    POP
    POP
    POP
    POP
    Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Absolute bottom dollar for our family of 5 is POR. I think in most cases one room there is cheaper than two at a value. Yes things can get tight and we haven't been there since the reno. I know from pictures I have seen of the new rooms in the AB section, I am glad they changed the sink area..storage there was always rough. If you don't mind cozy..I think that is your least expensive route.
    2008 Oct-POR & BC
    2009 Oct- CS
    2009 Dec- AKL & CRB
    2010 April - Dolphin
    2010 Oct- BWI
    2011 April - POR
    2011 Oct - AKL
    2012 April - Poly
    2012 Oct - AKL & YC
    2013 April - WL
    2013 Oct - AKL
    2014 Jan - CS
    2014 April - YC & POR
    2014 Oct - WL & YC
    2014 Dec - PORFQ
    2015 April - BC

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely the Dolphin. Usually cheaper than the moderates, cheaper than two value and if you are an SPG member (its free), have a teacher, nurse, or gov't employee in your party, have a AAA card, you can stay there for much less than any other resort that accomodates 5 people. It is our home away from home. Easy walk to Epcot, quick boatride to DHS, and you have all of the other resorts that are in easy walking distance including the Boardwalk. Get a balcony and it has some of the best views of WDW.
    My first home is in Coastal Georgia, 30 feet from the saltwater marsh, and 3.5 hours from WDW!My second home is the Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort!CR,Poly,GF,BC,BW,WL,AKL,Dolphin,Swan,DL,CSR,POFQ,C BR,POP,AS,Vero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerinvestigator View Post
    Absolutely the Dolphin. Usually cheaper than the moderates, cheaper than two value and if you are an SPG member (its free), have a teacher, nurse, or gov't employee in your party, have a AAA card, you can stay there for much less than any other resort that accomodates 5 people. It is our home away from home. Easy walk to Epcot, quick boatride to DHS, and you have all of the other resorts that are in easy walking distance including the Boardwalk. Get a balcony and it has some of the best views of WDW.
    The Dolphin sleeps five? Whenever I go to the Disney Parks site to look at hotels, it just lists it as having two double beds. And it's in the same price as the deluxe hotels, not the mods.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Also, does staying at Swan and Dolphin qualify you for free dining during eligible dates?
    Natalie

WDW ~ 1987
    WDW ~ Jan 1997
    DL ~ Jan 2004
    WDW ~ Dec 2007
    WDW POR ~Oct 2010
    WDW POR ~ Dec 2012
    WDW Offsite ~ Mar 2016
    WDW POR ~ Aug 2016
    DL ~ Jun 2018
    WDW ASMovies ~ Mar 2019

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerinvestigator View Post
    MY DH and I are both Teachers so we could get a discount? My DN is also a brand new teacher. We never thought of staying at the dolphin. We also did not know it slept 5. How much do they charge for parking and do they have bus transportation there?
    I would be traveling in the summer. Most likely end of July or start of Aug.
    Off site really would not work without a car and the girls are looking to park hop using the buses.
    thanks for all the recommendations and please keep them coming we still are trying to decide where to stay. We were thinking about maybe the new little mermaid rooms? Are they crazy $$$ like AOA suites?
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Cruise Disney Wonder 2006
    Wilderness Lodge, 04, 06, 08, 10
    Allstar Movies 02
    Allstar Sports 96. 98, 00
    Offsite 2015 x2, 90,89, 85

Post Thanks / Like

With the girls being 19, 19 & 21 I would stay at the Dolphin or Swan with a discount.
    I know the values are probably cheaper, but they are older and probably want to be around young adults rather than little kids...(I know there are all ages everywhere, but still being teachers I'm sure you guys would enjoy the peace and quiet)..
    Been there, done that and going back!!! See ya real soon !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
    The Dolphin sleeps five? Whenever I go to the Disney Parks site to look at hotels, it just lists it as having two double beds. And it's in the same price as the deluxe hotels, not the mods.
    It does sleep five although the Swan is listed at only four, and I assure you with any of these discounts it is much cheaper than a moderate. We stay twice a year and I have never paid more than $159 a night and have rooms as low as $99 per night. Other than holidays when the prices are jacked up it is cheaper than any of the moderate.
    My first home is in Coastal Georgia, 30 feet from the saltwater marsh, and 3.5 hours from WDW!My second home is the Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort!CR,Poly,GF,BC,BW,WL,AKL,Dolphin,Swan,DL,CSR,POFQ,C BR,POP,AS,Vero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waymickey View Post
    MY DH and I are both Teachers so we could get a discount? My DN is also a brand new teacher. We never thought of staying at the dolphin. We also did not know it slept 5. How much do they charge for parking and do they have bus transportation there?
    I would be traveling in the summer. Most likely end of July or start of Aug.
    Off site really would not work without a car and the girls are looking to park hop using the buses.
    thanks for all the recommendations and please keep them coming we still are trying to decide where to stay. We were thinking about maybe the new little mermaid rooms? Are they crazy $$$ like AOA suites?
    Yes you would be eligible for that discount if rooms are available. The Swan/Dolphin have the same transportation as the other parks with bus service to MK, AK, DTD, and the water parks. Boat service is to Epcot and DHS, but it is actually quicker to walk to Epcot most of the time. I don't believe you are eligible for the free dining at the Swan/Dolphin but we never go when it is offered anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Do Swan & Dolphin patrons also qualify for EMH?
    DL - 1996, 2019

Post Thanks / Like

Yes
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Basically the big differences are that Swan/Dolphin do not participate in Magical Express, you can't have items shipped from the park to your room, and you can't use your room key for charging privileges in the parks (although you can use it at the resort).
    They have a Disney guest relations desk in the lobby, a Disney resort store just like the other resorts, and all of the Disney transportation. You just show your room key at the parks for EMH just like the Disney owned resorts.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: