Quantcast Is this totally crazy???

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Is this totally crazy???

Okay, so I just saw Disney's Military Special offer for cruises this August.

We are sort of toying with the idea of booking one for Aug 19.

That's like 3 weeks away. Never been on a DCL cruise before. Don't have passports, but don't need them, I see.

Should we do it? The savings is phenomenal...we were planning a cruise for next year, but the prices are so high and compared to that, this is a steal. It's almost a 50% savings...

What would be the downfall to booking this close to sail date?
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure where its going-- I would triple verify that you don't need a passport. If you do, it costs a bunch to expidite them and it would eat up your savings.

If it turns out you don't need one and you can go, by all means go. We were on the Disney Magic in February and a Disney Cruise is one of the best vacations you'll ever have. My only comment is that a 3 or 4 day cruise will fly by so fast, I would try for a 5 to 7 day cruise if possible. We loved ours. Best of luck to you.
    30+ trips; DCV owner at Beach Club Villas; 4 Disney cruises; 2 trips to Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    I'm not sure where its going-- I would triple verify that you don't need a passport. If you do, it costs a bunch to expidite them and it would eat up your savings.

If it turns out you don't need one and you can go, by all means go. We were on the Disney Magic in February and a Disney Cruise is one of the best vacations you'll ever have. My only comment is that a 3 or 4 day cruise will fly by so fast, I would try for a 5 to 7 day cruise if possible. We loved ours. Best of luck to you.
    It's the 5 Night Cruise on the Dream, just goes to Nassau and Castaway Cay (x2).

Definitely don't need passports, as it's a closed loop Bahamas only cruise.

We want to "test the waters" so to speak, with cruising, so we definitely didn't want a full week cruise for the boys first one. DH and I have been cruising a few times, but we don't know how our boys will react to it. They are "love it or hate it" type kids with Autism. So, we never know with them. Hard to guess what they will like/dislike.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Go for it, you will kick yourself if you dont as a serviceman you deserve it
    I am addicted!
    9-08 Caribbean Beach Resort (Honeymoon)
    1-09 All-Star Sports
    12-09 Pop Century
    5-10 Pop Century
    3-11 All-Star Sports
    7-11 Wilderness Lodge
    3-12 Port Orleans Riverside
    5-12 Pop Century
    12-12 Saratoga Springs
    DVC Member since 2012!

Post Thanks / Like

I would go!

We did a 5-night Disney cruise a couple of years ago, and it was a great way to see if we liked it. We were there long enough to really get a feel for it, but not so long that if we hated it, we'd feel trapped.

Two days at CC would seal the deal for me, it was awesome.

I think the only downside is that you won't have much choice in room location, but even that shouldn't be a deterrent.

Enjoy!
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CajunDisneyDad View Post
    Go for it, you will kick yourself if you dont as a serviceman you deserve it
    Well, my DH is the serviceman, but thank you anyway.

It's just so hard for us to book this kind of thing a year in advance, since we NEVER know if he can have time off for sure until really close to the dates. So, this is a great opportunity, since he can most likely take that week off no problem.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

I say Happy Sailing!
    Meg

40 trips (plus two to Disneyland, and one to Disneyland Paris) and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibelieveindisneymagic View Post
    I think the only downside is that you won't have much choice in room location, but even that shouldn't be a deterrent.

Enjoy!
    The rooms are category 4D, and they are located mainly Port side, midship, on deck 6. There are quite a few to choose from. Seems good to me!

The cost per person, per day, would be $150!!!

DH is going to ask his boss about getting that week off. We'll see what happens with that! Fingers crossed!!!
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

$150 a day isn't bad at all. The DVC offer for September is like $130 a day and it's a STEAL!

There are/were a lot of choices for the DVC CASH offer in terms of dining assignments, room choices, etc. I'd make any/every effort to get on that ship.

Book ASAP though, the DVC CASH rooms went quickly once a day or two went by and people got their vacations straightened out, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Do it!!!! The only downside I see (not a deal breaker in my book) might be unable to booking some of your things in advance. I haven't done this so I dont know how quickly things fill up. Just a thought.
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

It may be so cheap because of hurricane season. That would be the only downfall I would see about traveling in August. But other than that, that is a steal of a price! GO for it! I would if I could
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

Just to confirm - NO PASSPORTS NEEDED??
    We are sailing in April of 2013, 3 night to Bahamas and back, and I was going to get the "card" passport that is a little cheaper for myself, DH & DS. If I don't need to spend that kind of money - it would be GREAT!! We do all have "official" birth certificates - does that suffice??

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    It's the 5 Night Cruise on the Dream, just goes to Nassau and Castaway Cay (x2).

Definitely don't need passports, as it's a closed loop Bahamas only cruise.

We want to "test the waters" so to speak, with cruising, so we definitely didn't want a full week cruise for the boys first one. DH and I have been cruising a few times, but we don't know how our boys will react to it. They are "love it or hate it" type kids with Autism. So, we never know with them. Hard to guess what they will like/dislike.

Post Thanks / Like

Natalie,

I think you should go for it. I feel like we are sort of in the same boat. We want to do a 4 or 5 night cruise as our first family cruise to "test the waters" too. Oldest DS has been prone to motion sickness his entire life so his first cruise needs to be less than a full week.

We also don't want to pay full price for a Disney cruise so we'd have to book one last minute if we wanted to use the military discount. That's one of the reason's we haven't done it yet, we never seem to be able to pull it off when the military discount is announced.

If DH wasn't going to be in Germany, and the boys and I didn't already have plans for Disney World, not to mention my kids go back to school before the sail dates, I'd be looking into it right now as well.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wendybird View Post
    Just to confirm - NO PASSPORTS NEEDED??
    We are sailing in April of 2013, 3 night to Bahamas and back, and I was going to get the "card" passport that is a little cheaper for myself, DH & DS. If I don't need to spend that kind of money - it would be GREAT!! We do all have "official" birth certificates - does that suffice??
    From what I can tell, if you do a "closed loop" cruise and it only goes to the Bahamas or Caribbean, you do NOT need passports. A closed loop cruise is one that departs and returns to the same port. As long as the departure port is in the U.S.A., no passports needed!

Adults will need a government issued photo ID (drivers license is fine) AND an official (with a raised seal) birth certificate. Kids need a birth certificate only, no photo ID required.

We have all that. So, we are ready to go if we can!
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    $150 a day isn't bad at all. The DVC offer for September is like $130 a day and it's a STEAL!

There are/were a lot of choices for the DVC CASH offer in terms of dining assignments, room choices, etc. I'd make any/every effort to get on that ship.

Book ASAP though, the DVC CASH rooms went quickly once a day or two went by and people got their vacations straightened out, etc.
    There are actually a few categories of rooms available, but they are all the same price! It appears to be $175 per day for the first two passengers, then $130 per day for 3rd and 4th passengers. Averaged out, for a family of 4, it's $150 per person, per day.

Obviously, I'd book the highest category available. As of now, there are quite a few category 4D rooms available.

Still waiting to hear if DH can have the week off. He also needs a week off in November, and that one is more important (wedding), so we will see what his boss says.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzznwoodysmom View Post
    If DH wasn't going to be in Germany, and the boys and I didn't already have plans for Disney World, not to mention my kids go back to school before the sail dates, I'd be looking into it right now as well.
    Denise, I don't understand why they release these discounts SO last minute. It's frustrating! I mean, I understand it. I suppose these are mostly cancellations or something and they want to fill up the ship. Still, though, don't they know how hard it is to get leave in the military so last minute?

Luckily, our kids don't start school until after Labor day, so this date works great for us. Also, DH is going to be down in Orlando August 25 and 26 anyway to attend Star Wars Celebration, so we figured this would work out really well! We'd have to drive down, but then I'd get 2 days at Disney with the boys while DH is at Celebration.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Denise, I don't understand why they release these discounts SO last minute. It's frustrating! I mean, I understand it. I suppose these are mostly cancellations or something and they want to fill up the ship. Still, though, don't they know how hard it is to get leave in the military so last minute?

Luckily, our kids don't start school until after Labor day, so this date works great for us. Also, DH is going to be down in Orlando August 25 and 26 anyway to attend Star Wars Celebration, so we figured this would work out really well! We'd have to drive down, but then I'd get 2 days at Disney with the boys while DH is at Celebration.
    Natalie, I feel the same frustration as you. I'm sure these rooms are in their unsold inventory, and they are offered to try to fill up cabins, but it's really too last minute for us.

I feel the same way about the WDW military discount. Anyone trying to plan a trip between Oct. and the end of the year doesn't know if they will offer the discount until just before their trip. We've always managed, but next year we plan to go to WDW for Thanksgiving with DH's entire family. We will have 3 qualifying military members, so that would mean up to 6 rooms, and 18 sets of tickets. We are going to have to book hotels and such based on the prices without the discount. Some of the family may not be able to afford moderate or deluxe resorts without a discount, so we are planning to all stay where ever each family is comfortable, instead of all staying at the same resort. However, if the military discount comes out there may be a quick scramble to try and get us in the same resort so that we may book the additional rooms using the discount.

I'm thrilled that they are still offering such great discounts to military, but it would make things easier if we had more notice of them. Like you said, it can be tough to take leave for vacation in the military.

I hope your plans all work out. I know you've been talking about a Disney cruise for a while (same here)! I'd love to see you guys pull this off!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Post Thanks / Like

OMG...We're going to GO!!!

DH got the leave approved.

And then, he came home and told me that he is "most likely" going to be deployed for 4 months next Jun-September. So, I guess we better take this trip now after all. So much for a cruise next summer...

But...it means we are GOING NOW! I'm so excited!!! So much to plan...I still can't believe it.

I looked online tonight, worried that all the cabins would be gone, and instead, there are MORE available than there were earlier.

I'm going to be busy tomorrow...
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome Natalie!!!!

I hope this cruise is everything you guys have been waiting for, and more. I hope your boys love it! Have fun planning!
    Denise

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: