Quantcast Hard to decided

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard to decided

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hard to decided

Am in the early planning stages of a trip, hopefully in January. Because the boys (dogs) will be coming with us I am looking at POR or POFQ. If you had to choose one or the other which would it be and why? The only mod we have stayed at is CBR and I loved it, hoping to say the same about one of these 2.
    Three years in Connecticut and loving it
    Next trip in Jan 2017 I hope!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I know many people adore POR, but we didn't like it.

We did, however, LOVE POFQ. The resort was so small and charming! We loved that we were just a short walk to everything on property no matter where our room was located. We enjoyed the food court, we never shared a bus with Riverside, and the boat to DTD was so relaxing! The only downside for my family was that my kids didn't think the pool slide was long or fast enough, but then we just hopped over to Riverside one afternoon so the boys would use the slide there.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be the second to recommend POFQ over POR, FQ is such a small resort compared to all the other moderates and values.

It's hard to beat, that's for sure.
    82 - Offsite
    85- Fort Wilderness
    88- Polynesian
    96- Offsite
    97- Offsite
    98- Offsite
    08 - French Quarter
    09 - Coronado Springs
    09 - All Star Sports
    09 - Pop Century
    09 - Off Site
    10- French Quarter
    11 - All Star Sports
    14 -Coronado Springs
    15 - All Star Sports
    17 - TBD

Post Thanks / Like

You can't go wrong with either one. Our first stay on Disney property, back in the '90's was at Frenh Quarter, back when POR was referred to as Dixie Landings, so it holds a special place for us. We've since stayed at CBR (once) and POR twice, with a 3rd time coming in November.

For us, who became an immediate family of 5 back in 2009, POR is our only real moderate option if we want one room.

That said, its still my favorite. A lot of people knock it because they feel its too large/crowded and its easy to get lost in the Alligator Bayou section and to some extent these points can be valid. Hitting the food court at peak times can be daunting, but if I recall correctly it has more offerings than the FQ food court (sans beignets). As far as getting lost, that I never really understood. I find the meandering paths one of the more endearing and relaxing parts of the resort. Just walking in the big trees with pine needles, Spanish moss, the mist on the Sassgagoula, it just offers a serenity that I don't find (to that level) at the others.

Plus POR has:
    -much better pool than FQ
    -has a sit down restaurant (Boatwrights) that is on the dining plan, if that matters.
    -Its got the River Roost lounge with a great performer, YeeHaw Bob
    -shares the same boat to DTD that FQ has
    -has a marina for boat/bike rentals
    -bigger gift shop (if I recall) than FQ

There are pro and cons to both and I have no doubt you will enjoy either selection, one of the benefits to not having a bad choice.

But I cast a vote for Riverside.

Post Thanks / Like

We actually prefer POR - didn't find that we liked the "small, intimate" feel of POFQ. If you like CBR, you'd probably find the scope and scale of POR much the same. Love the sprawling gardens, the pool is excellent PLUS there are "quiet pools" sprinkled through the resort (that was a big deal to us, because we like to take frequent dips without always going to the main pool), the food court is big and very good, has a great gift store, and although we've never used it (!) there is a decent sit-down restaurant on site. LOVE the boat to downtown disney, which of course you can access from either resort. (and truth be told, if you stayed at POFQ you COULD use the pools and food court at POR, but that just seems like a hassle to me)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all of you you have given me a lot to think about. How does bus service compare at the resorts?
    Three years in Connecticut and loving it
    Next trip in Jan 2017 I hope!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

This past January we stayed at POR for a week. Im a WDW veteran and im well aware of the popularity of POR and POFQ. We absolutely loved POR. It was immaculate, beautiful, well themed, and a great resort overall.

During our week at POR we made it a point to head over to POFQ. Ive been on the grounds of POFQ before but had never really 'inspected' the place. We headed over to POFQ and one thing that I noticed is that I didnt like the theming as much as POR. Once inside the Food Court of POFQ I was mortified. The decor was gaudy at best, furthermore, what left me absolutely breathless was how dirty the place was. The floors, the walls were absolutely filthy. It looked like it hadnt been cleaned in weeks. Add that with the vile, gaudy decor....Houston we have a problem. I was shocked and could not for the life of me understand why people rave about POFQ.

I would never recommend POFQ.
    77-DL
    89-DL
    94-ASSp
    95-OKW
    98-WDW Hol.Inn MG
    99-WDW Off Prop
    06-ASMov
    07-Pop 2/4 - 2/14
    07-ASMus 9/11 - 9/17
    08-ASMov & DCL 10/27 - 11/2
    09-ASMov & DCL Wonder 9/21 - 10/1
    10-WDW Off Prop 4/23 - 4/25
    10-DCL Magic 7 nt EB 10/23
    10-CSR 10/30 - 11/1
    12-POR 1/8 - 1/15
    12-CSR 12/20-27

Post Thanks / Like

We have stayed at POFQ many times. We did book a stay at POR once but switched over to POFQ. This resort is small enough that no matter where you stay you are close to the food court, busses, laundry, pool, and front desk. It also makes for a short walk back to your room at the end of a busy day at the parks. We do prefer building 5 though. Our last stay we were in building 6 and it was nice too. The pool has a great theming and most of the time not too crowded. Food court offers a great variety of foods. There is the boat to Downtown Disney. They show movies at night in the courtyard - weather permitting. You can walk over to POR to rent boats, eat at their food court and sit down restaurant, and use their pool. It is a really nice relaxing walk along the river. The location of POFQ is ideal for our family. Close to Downtown for the kids and the boat makes it easy. They can go whenever they want. It is a quiet resort with a lovely theming. As you can tell of all the moderates we love POFQ. They also have queen beds in the rooms since the renovation.

Post Thanks / Like

i vote for FQ over R also. took my nephews and stayed there 3 yrs ago.
    did have a slight problem this past trip there, but i like the feel of it better.
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite moderate for a long time has been POFQ, but I stayed there awhile back with my wife and was less impressed. It seemed just a little rundown. We split our stay with Coronado Springs, which was much fresher (my wife, especially, liked CS much better).

POR is newly renovated. I stayed there a few months ago and am returning in August because of the kennels across the street. Perhaps it was the location of the room, which faced Sassagoula river with a large tree outside its window, but the room was very comfortable and quiet for rest (something I need after the parks). The grounds are immaculate. Overall, it was an exceptional experience, which I look forward to repeating in a couple weeks.
    2014: BC; 2013: CS; 2012: POR, Dolphin; 2011: Hilton, Dolphin; 2010: POFQ, CSR; 2009: POFQ; 2008: HoJo DL, Royal Plaza; 2007: Saratoga; 2006: POP, BV, CSR; 2005: AS-Mu, Off-site, POFQ; 2004: POFQ, AS-Mo; 2003: CSR, AS-Mo, Royal Plaza; 2002: AS-Mu; AS-Mu, CBR, Off-site; 2001: WL; 2000: Landings/Magic

Post Thanks / Like

Riverside has the mansions part and alligator bayou - we stayed at AB and my kids loved it - very rustic and Tom Sawyerish feel to it! Pool was a huge favorite as was the food court. My kids saw the mansions part and didn't "get" it, but they loved the AB part that looked like old log cabins!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Bus Driver View Post
    I am looking at POR or POFQ. If you had to choose one or the other which would it be and why? The only mod we have stayed at is CBR and I loved it, hoping to say the same about one of these 2.
    DH and I stayed at our first moderate resort in 2009 - which was also CBR! We absolutely loved it there

When we were planning our next trip in 2011, we narrowed it down to the same options as you: POR and POFQ. We decided on POR over POFQ because it sounded more romantic theme-wise, the food choices at the food court sounded more appealing, and the resort had more than one bus stop - like CBR (which we really liked).

I don't think you can go wrong either way, but POR just appealed to us more since it was most similiar to CBR. Since the room being outdated was really my only complaint, I would happily stay at POR again since the refurbishment is complete
    Kimberly a.k.a. Your Magical Guide
    Visited WDW:
    03/2018 - POFQ (Bldg. 2)
    05/2017 - POR (Oak Manor - Royal Guest Room)
    09/2011 - POR (Oak Manor)
    03/2009 - CBR (Martinique)
    03/2007 - Offsite
    03/2004 - Offsite
    03/2003 - Offsite
    03/1998 - Offsite
    10/1995 - Offsite
    07/1988 - Contemporary

Post Thanks / Like

I've stayed at both within the past two months, and hands down I say Riverside!!! If you want, you can search my recent posts for my thoughts on FQ. Not going to go into them again, except to say 'CREEPY FOOD COURT MASKS!' LOL!

Are you boarding the boys at Best Friends Pet Care?

Oh, and unless the renovation at POR was completed in the last week, the Bayou rooms aren't done yet. We stayed in a Princess room and LOVED it!

Post Thanks / Like

The main thing people like about POFQ is the size. If that doesn't matter to you, like it doesn't to us, then I think that POR is the better option. It has the best food court of any WDW resort (but we haven't tried the Art of Animation Food Court yet), a great pool, and lots of room choices.

POFQ does have beignets, though....

Some people will point to the bus service being better at POFQ because of it's size. But POR has four bus stops, and so you are almost guaranteed to be pretty close to a bus stop, no matter where your room. We've been in some of the farthest out buildings, and been right next to a bus stop. It has never been an issue. And even from the farther buildings, the walk to the main building isn't much more than five minutes. And it's relaxing.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    I've stayed at both within the past two months, and hands down I say Riverside!!! If you want, you can search my recent posts for my thoughts on FQ. Not going to go into them again, except to say 'CREEPY FOOD COURT MASKS!' LOL!
    I agree with Mel. I choose POR because I can eat there without being creeped out!
    Meg

40 trips (plus two to Disneyland, and one to Disneyland Paris) and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I agree Mel, POFQ Food court is creepy, dingy and terribly overrated...
    77-DL
    89-DL
    94-ASSp
    95-OKW
    98-WDW Hol.Inn MG
    99-WDW Off Prop
    06-ASMov
    07-Pop 2/4 - 2/14
    07-ASMus 9/11 - 9/17
    08-ASMov & DCL 10/27 - 11/2
    09-ASMov & DCL Wonder 9/21 - 10/1
    10-WDW Off Prop 4/23 - 4/25
    10-DCL Magic 7 nt EB 10/23
    10-CSR 10/30 - 11/1
    12-POR 1/8 - 1/15
    12-CSR 12/20-27

Post Thanks / Like

I love the riverside, the pool is amazing, and I loved the whole atmosphere.. I dont like the french quarters all that much it was just not disney to me..

and my favorite part of port orleans riverside is the water wheel in the food court..

Its is in my top three places to stay along with the contemporary and wilderness lodge.. for more then value hotels
    Brittany

I Love Disney

been 23 times 24th is coming soon!!:)

Post Thanks / Like

Fq

Post Thanks / Like

I love the theme and dining at POR. One of my fav places to stay. Just feels like home. Lots of cool options there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johnO View Post
    This past January we stayed at POR for a week. Im a WDW veteran and im well aware of the popularity of POR and POFQ. We absolutely loved POR. It was immaculate, beautiful, well themed, and a great resort overall.

During our week at POR we made it a point to head over to POFQ. Ive been on the grounds of POFQ before but had never really 'inspected' the place. We headed over to POFQ and one thing that I noticed is that I didnt like the theming as much as POR. Once inside the Food Court of POFQ I was mortified. The decor was gaudy at best, furthermore, what left me absolutely breathless was how dirty the place was. The floors, the walls were absolutely filthy. It looked like it hadnt been cleaned in weeks. Add that with the vile, gaudy decor....Houston we have a problem. I was shocked and could not for the life of me understand why people rave about POFQ.

I would never recommend POFQ.
    So its themed exactly like the real NO. Plus, the Mardi Gras masks scarred me a child.

POR all the way.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: