Quantcast Busch Gardens Tampa and Hotel?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Busch Gardens Tampa and Hotel?

HI- so we are tyring to squeeze in an August trip before the kids have to go back to school. We would not be visiting WDW this trip. Since we've not been to Busch Gardens Tampa before, how is it for teens? I have 2 boys 13 and 15. I am wondering if there is enough there to keep them interested. They do like animals. I heard there may be a water park there too? I am not sure so I was going to do reseach. The plan would be to stay there for 2 nights then finish up at Universal.

So, does anyone also have recommendations on hotels near Busch Gardens or even near by at the beach for a couple nights?
    If not, I am sure we can base out of Universal and make the drive for 2 days.

Looking for any info and suggestions. Thanks!
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Busch is great for teens. Do your boys like coasters?

Busch is really know for its coasters. There is a Gwanzi, great wooden coaster, Sheikra a steel coaster with a 90 degree drop (scary!) and Cheetah Hunt is a new coaster. They also have water rides and many others that are fun. They have decent shows though we never usually spend much time doing them. Areas are themed but nothing like Disney or Universal. Busch Gardens is really a more straight forward thrill park with animals as a bonus.

I always enjoy Busch Gardens. Busch has a separate water park called Adventure Island. It is right down the street. I have never been but my friends have passes and love it there. It looks like Busch Gardens is running a special for free Adventure Island with a BG ticket purchase.

I am not sure about hotels because Busch is quite near my house and we go for day trips. There are several hotels in the area. Busch is essentially right in an urban part of Tampa so the surrounding environment is a mix of retail, residential, hospitals etc. If you are going over that way, I would recommend looking for something near the water. Just beware that depending on where near the water you pick the ride could be similar to the ride from Universal.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you , you've been very helpful. Yes, they love coasters so I am happy to hear this place is mostly coasters. I was afraid it might be a little too tame for them but it sounds perfect. That is right up their alley. We have been to the one in Willimaburg VA a few years ago (Europe Theme) and they liked that. I did also see the special with the water park free with the Busch Gardens ticket.

Thanks for your help!
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Post Thanks / Like

My brother loves Busch Gradens with the kids. He stays at the Holiday Inn Express or the suites. He said its right accross the street from the park. He has never had a problem there. And its not too expensive. He took my boy's a year ago and they are still talking about the water park..

Have a great time
    Been there, done that and going back!!! See ya real soon !!!

Post Thanks / Like

We did visit Busch Gardens last week and enjoyed it. A very nice park- loved the animals, loved the rides! Unforunately lots of closures due to lightening in the area but that is to be expected in August and with all the outdoor attractions. Didn't get to do everything but we will be back another time. We did not love the water park- but it was included in our ticket (online exclusive) so no biggie. We opted to stay at Universal and did the drive which wasn't terrible. Thanks again for the info!

Post Thanks / Like

Can't believe I didn't see this before you went! Glad you had a good time!

I would have told you that my boys loved BG and they are 12 and 14. We lived there for 2.5 years before we went (I couldn't get away from Disney ) and I'm kicking myself now. They begged me to go back, but now that we live in Virginia, we'll be hitting up the one in Williamsburg frequently.

And yes, everyone I worked with in the local area used to tell me stay away from that waterpark. Cleanliness issues, I think.

Post Thanks / Like

I glad you enjoyed Busch and sorry about the weather. This has been one of the wettest August in awhile.

Anything particular about Adventure Island you didn't like? We have never been because my kids are just getting into the more exciting water slides. They are usually content with the splash areas at Busch Gardens and the aquarium.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    And yes, everyone I worked with in the local area used to tell me stay away from that waterpark. Cleanliness issues, I think.
    OH great !! I wish I would have seen your post..lol.. I would not have let them go to the water park... Well at least they didnt come home with anything...
    Been there, done that and going back!!! See ya real soon !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AgentC View Post
    I glad you enjoyed Busch and sorry about the weather. This has been one of the wettest August in awhile.

Anything particular about Adventure Island you didn't like? We have never been because my kids are just getting into the more exciting water slides. They are usually content with the splash areas at Busch Gardens and the aquarium.
    Weellll, the water park was probably OK if you didn't experience other parks but Disney's 2 are much, much better. It was on the basic side in terms of slides. There seemed to not be enough seating to accommodate everyone. this is waht irked me right off the bat. Many people took mutliple chairs then put there stuff all over them but weren't sitting in them. We circled twice and finally found one chair. I had intended to actually sit in it (not leave my stuff) so that was good.

I would say yes, it was not the cleanest. There seemed to be alot of stuff floating in the water and I saw various garbage on the walkways.

The wave pool had pretty small waves. When we were there an older boy stuck his arm in the little open track on the side of the pool and it became stuck. It took over a half an hour for them to dislodge him. They eventually brought vaseline. He was OK. The waves had been turned off for safety.

There was the same issue with lightening- not the park's fault- but the major issue with that is you are instructed to find shelter. There was very little shelter so most people go to the quickservice food place. It's outdoors, but covered queues and tables. They then proceed to stop serving food. They told us this was so they could give people shelter from lightening. So basically the park completely shuts down!!! I understand safety first, but since this seems to happen alot wouldn't it make more sense to build a shelter area...and still serve food so people can do something while they are waiting around? We hadn't eaten before we left thinking we would just eat there. So we were there maybe 20 minutes, then the park was shut down for 2 hours for lightening. We could not buy food! We left and got food in town at that point, and when we returned the lightening threat had passed and then we circled again for a vacant seat.

We did like the Busch Gardens theme park (we have visited Willamsburg which was also nice, had a Europe theme)- the coasters and animals were all fabulous! Anwyay, live and learn. I think next time if we plan on a waterpark we'll stick with Disney.

Post Thanks / Like

The water park in Williamsburg is very nice and it is clean. At least when we were there last. It's called Water Country USA.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: