Quantcast Which Moderate would be right for us

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Question Which Moderate would be right for us

Hello all,

The last 3 trips we stayed in value resorts. My wife and I stayed in the Contemporary once and also in Dixie Landings on our honeymoon.

We are going this year and might go with a moderate because we would get free table service dining (WE GOT A PIN CODE!!!)

Anyway, we are not interested in the Fort Wilderness cabins, but are interested in a moderate.

Here are some things we need to consider:

-- My one son will be a little over a year old, so he won't care.

-- My other son will be 8, loves swimming, video games and the theme parks.

-- My wife like Pop Century for the food court (which is great) and the location (it doesn't seem to take us any time to drive to any of the theme parks).

-- And, my wife's parents are going with us and we are hoping to request a connecting room. (by the way, they may be grand-parents in their 60's but they act younger than me most of the time)

So, would anyone have any suggestions according to the information I gave?

Thanks,
    Tom

Urbs
    Cresson, PA

Off Site - 76, 79, 82, 90
    Dixie Landings - 97
    Contemporary - 03
    ASM - 9/08
    PC 10/09 & 10/10
    FQ 11/12
    BW & CB 6/13
    Off Site (Parkway International) 9/13
    Shades of Green 9/14
    DCL (Wonder) 10/14
    AK Lodge & BW 5/15
    FW 9/15
    Shades of Green 3/16

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Of the moderates our family has stayed at CBR and POFQ (and visited POR). We love POFQ. The resort is small with a great location. No long walk to your room after a long day at the park. It is close to DD, even offers the boat to take if you want. A short lovely walk to POR if you want to eat in their food court or sit down restaurant. The pool has a fun theme with a great slide for kids. Food court is small but a good variety of foods. The grounds are beautiful and resort rooms were just renovated. They have movies at night in the court yard for families to watch. We would stay here or POR if POFQ is not available.

Post Thanks / Like

POFQ would be my choice, nice small resort, great boat ride to Downtown Disney, good location, nice pool area, good food in the food court. You can also walk over to POR and use their food court and also another option for a pool for the kids
    Dean

"Scream like a girl" Expedition Everest

Sept. 2005 Caribbean Beach
    Oct... 2005 Animal Kindom Lodge
    Sept. 2006 Port Orleans Riverside
    Sept. 2007 All Star Music
    May 2008 All Star Movies
    April 2009 All Star Music
    Sept. 2010 Port Orleans French Quarter
    Sept 2012 POP Century

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. POFQ and CS are my favs.
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

If bed size is important to you (i.e. you and your wife are used to spreading out a bit) then CBR might not be to your liking since it still has full sized beds while the others have queens.

Remember that at both of the PO resorts you can pool hop to the other which doubles the "Slide pool options" which might be a plus for the older son.

Both PO resorts also give boat access to DTD which is nice and the kids will enjoy the time on the water.

My initial rec would be POR ( we like it a little better (especially the mansion section), however if splurging for a pirate room (at CBR) were on the table, with a 8 year old boy that might be a whole lot of fun.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

I would reccomend POFQ .

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for POFQ here. The only downside I could think of for your family is that your older son may not think the slide is fun enough. If that happens you can use the pool over at Riverside, which has a fantastic slide. We liked FQ for it's small size. I think your parents would love it's quiet, charming feel too!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

I think one of the PO resorts would be good for your family. Both have the boat ride to DTD and we've had nice service and food at both food courts. I'd give a slight edge to POR for the better pool slide and recent renovation.
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by E-OR View Post
    Of the moderates our family has stayed at CBR and POFQ (and visited POR). We love POFQ. The resort is small with a great location. No long walk to your room after a long day at the park. It is close to DD, even offers the boat to take if you want. A short lovely walk to POR if you want to eat in their food court or sit down restaurant. The pool has a fun theme with a great slide for kids. Food court is small but a good variety of foods. The grounds are beautiful and resort rooms were just renovated. They have movies at night in the court yard for families to watch. We would stay here or POR if POFQ is not available.
    ^this

Post Thanks / Like

One vote for Caribbean Beach Resort!
    *1993-CBR
    *1995-Dixie Landings
    *1999-2002 OKW (3 times)
    *2003-BCV(got engaged)
    *2005-Poly Concierge(honeymoon)
    *2007-AllStar Music(expecting 1st child)
    *2008- OKW (w/1st child)
    *2012-AKL villas

Post Thanks / Like

I like all the mods, although the Alligator Bayou at Riverside is very plain and unpleasing to the eye, so I don't recomend that one. We got the same PIN and we're going to be arriving at FQ the week after Thanksgiving. We wanted Coronado, but it had no openings. We've never stayed at FQ, so it will be a new thing for us.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

POFQ is my choice. It's small and not spread out. The food court has beignets The pool is nicely themed and it's in a good location.

Highly Recommended!!
    Next WDW Trip: July 13 - 22, 2016 Wilderness Lodge

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow shining at the end of every day!"

"Let's Don't be Silly..." - The Mad Hatter

Post Thanks / Like

I have stayed at all 4 and I do have my favorite (CBR). But I would suggest having your son look at the pictures of the resorts and let him help you decide.

All of the resorts have their pros. My boys loved the pools at CBR and POR. I personally like the CBR because I love the atmosphere, the pool, and the food court.

I would suggest if you are planning on staying at CSR that you see if there is a convention at the same time you are planning on being down there - you might not want to stay there if there is one.

You will have a great vacation no matter where you stay

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigVonDrake View Post
    POFQ is my choice. It's small and not spread out. The food court has beignets The pool is nicely themed and it's in a good location.

Highly Recommended!!
    I agree. We have always loved POFQ. According to your requirements, the only downside I can see is the arcade. POFQ's arcade is fairly small. At least it was the last time I was in there. I think POR's is bigger, but there are also more people using the resort, and, hence, more people using the arcade. But, as others have said, you have access to both arcades and all the pools.

There is also pole fishing and boat rentals available at POR for some grandfather/father/son/family time. (I'm gonna get in so much trouble for that line, I am sure) Those benefits are available for guests at both resorts.
    Officially too many trips to list here!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Riverside or Coronado Springs

I would recommend Riverside or CSR. They're both beautiful resort and both have great food courts. I wouldn't recommend POFQ. We went by POFQ in January of this year to eat. The food court was gaudy, dingy and filthy. I was gobsmacked. When we entered the food court, I stood there with my jaw on the floor. What I could not comprehend was how so many people on intercot could rave about POFQ whilst it looks a mess. A hot mess. Absolutely unbelievable. The filthiest food court I've ever scene in WDW including values. The floors and walls were visibly dirty.

Riversides food court was very clean and had great selections. Same goes for CSR.
    77-DL
    89-DL
    94-ASSp
    95-OKW
    98-WDW Hol.Inn MG
    99-WDW Off Prop
    06-ASMov
    07-Pop 2/4 - 2/14
    07-ASMus 9/11 - 9/17
    08-ASMov & DCL 10/27 - 11/2
    09-ASMov & DCL Wonder 9/21 - 10/1
    10-WDW Off Prop 4/23 - 4/25
    10-DCL Magic 7 nt EB 10/23
    10-CSR 10/30 - 11/1
    12-POR 1/8 - 1/15
    12-CSR 12/20-27

Post Thanks / Like

CSR has a deluxe like feel but its huge which is an issue for some - it was not an issue for me and I loved it there. I prefer POFQ to POR. I am not a fan of Alligator Bayou. I read once on this site that a child asked Mom, when moving thru the Mansions section from where they were in Alligator Bayou, if that was where the rich people stayed! Summed it up for me. Alligator Bayou is just to swampy if that makes sense.

I guess I'd let resort theme make my decision if I were you.

Enjoy!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: