Quantcast How many untouched/unchanged rides are there?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How many untouched/unchanged rides are there?

I was just watching some ride videos on youtube and started thinking how many attractions that have been around many years at any park have not been changed/upgraded? What is the oldest one that has not changed?
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

The only ones that come to mind are Peter Pan and Jungle Cruise perhaps?

I don't think Splash Mountain has been changed, but that isn't an old attraction in comparison.
    "por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas!"

"There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day!"

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting question.

The one that came to my mind was the Tomorrowland Grand Prix. But I'm sure just about all the attractions have changed in some way. For example, the "show" portion have Jungle Cruise has definitely changed over the years, if not the attraction itself. I can remember when the captain of the boat had a toy gun as part of the show! That was removed many years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

What a great question. I hope more people reply. I too remember the gun on the Jungle Cruise now that you mention it.
    Live Life Joyfully!
    [FONT="Arial Narrow"][SIZE="2"]'73 - DL;
    '78, '89 - DW -off property;
    '94, 00, '07 - Dixie Landing; '96 - CBR; '98 - CSR;
    '99 - Disney Cruise;
    '01 - WL Christmas Celebration; '03, '06, '12, '13
    '10 POFQ; '11 POP (2x)

Post Thanks / Like

Have only done it twice but how about the Swiss Family Tree house?
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

I believe the Maelstrom attraction at EPCOT's Norway hasn't changed either, now that I think about it. Even the movie at the end is the same since 1988! lol

Post Thanks / Like

How about It's a Small World and The Haunted Mansion. I'm not sure about Small World but I remember as a child in the 70's going through the HM and to the best of my knowledge ONLY the lady in the crystal ball has changed. After Disney made the movie.
    I LOVE THAT RIDE!!!
    Feb 2020 - FWC
    Jul 2019 - Poly
    2018 - WL - CL
    2017 - FWC
    2016 - WL

2012 - WL - CL
    2010 - WL
    2009 - WL
    2007 - WL
    2003 - WL
    2001 - FWC
    1974, 77, 83 & 1995 - Off site

Post Thanks / Like

The Speedway track and cars are the same as always, but the theme has been changed (or sponsor at least). Cindy's Carousel is the same and the Tea Cups. Big Thunder and Splash Mountain are the same I believe, although BTMRR is getting a queue upgrade. There are not many that have been left untouched.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Davy Crockett View Post
    How about It's a Small World and The Haunted Mansion. I'm not sure about Small World but I remember as a child in the 70's going through the HM and to the best of my knowledge ONLY the lady in the crystal ball has changed. After Disney made the movie.
    I LOVE THAT RIDE!!!

HM just had an update a couple of years ago...with lots of changes added. Also, It's a Small World has been updated recently!

Post Thanks / Like

... I remember as a child in the 70's going through the HM and to the best of my knowledge ONLY the lady in the crystal ball has changed.
    Actually, there were many changes to HM made during the refurb in 2007. Among those were a completely new staircase scene, the floating Madame Leota, a new attic scene with a new bride (Constance) and the five changing portraits of her husbands, a few changes to the graveyard scene, and of course a new version of the hitchhiking ghosts. A completely new audio system and new sound effects were also added.
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Expedition: Everest
    Kali River Rapids

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by caryrae View Post
    I was just watching some ride videos on youtube and started thinking how many attractions that have been around many years at any park have not been changed/upgraded? What is the oldest one that has not changed?
    The real answer? Too many.

No attraction should go unchanged for 25 or 30 or 40 years. It doesn't matter how "classic" or "timeless" it is. The Haunted Mansion, the darling of Phil Holmes's Magic Kingdom, is a phenomenal example of a beloved attractions receiving tasteful and appropriate upgrades.

Peter Pan's Flight is the most pressing ride that needs a major facelift now. It deserves a yearlong refurbishment. Jungle Cruise is in the same position, but there are lots of rumors these days that it will soon go under the knife.
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Carousel of Progress I believe is just as Walt had it at the World's Fair. I think the last scene might have been updated quite a while ago, but it hasn't been touched in a long time.

Post Thanks / Like

I LOVE THAT RIDE!!!
    Small world - added movie characters.
    HM - changed ghosts at end and new queue.

BTMR???
    Speedway??

And I'm pretty sure they have never changed country bears jamboree right?
    Next trip - Sep29-Oct4! Free QS dining at POP. First trip with both kids. (6th total visit)
    "In dreams you will lose your heartache"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by caryrae View Post
    Have only done it twice but how about the Swiss Family Tree house?
    Didn't that just receive a complete overhaul last year or so ago?

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaChan View Post

BTMR???

And I'm pretty sure they have never changed country bears jamboree right?
    BTMMR is going through some changes currently. I don't remember how much is being changed but I know I saw it was being "updated" what exactly that means I cannot remember for the life of me.

I think your right, I don't recall ever hearing or seeing anything about an update or anything at the Country Bears, though some would argue it is in desperate need of an overhaul lol.

I agree with one of the PP that sometimes updates and changes could be a welcomed change in most cases.
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

How about Tom Sawyer Island? I don't always venture out, but it probably hasn't changed.
    CBR - February 1992
    CBR - April 1993
    AS Music - February 1994
    AS Movies - February 2000
    Contemporary/DCL - April/May 2001
    AS Movies - January 2003
    CBR/DCL - September 2005
    Pop Century - May 2007
    Art of Animation - May 2013
    AS Movies - September 2013
    Pop Century - April/May 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ThanxForNoticin View Post
    Interesting question.

The one that came to my mind was the Tomorrowland Grand Prix. But I'm sure just about all the attractions have changed in some way. For example, the "show" portion have Jungle Cruise has definitely changed over the years, if not the attraction itself. I can remember when the captain of the boat had a toy gun as part of the show! That was removed many years ago.
    I went twice last week. They were discharging firearms.

What changed in Small World? Indiana Jones?

Post Thanks / Like

I LOVE THAT RIDE!!!
    small world went through an extensive queue-area redo a few years back (2007 maybe?), then they re-routed the queue (reversed the entrance and exits) a coupla years back. They've also added a "Mary Blair" doll to the Europe/Eiffel Tower scene.

HM has been "redone" a few times as well. FastPass added, then removed. The "spider room" was removed and the "Stair room" was added in its place. The attic has been redone a coupla times as well, with the bride redone and moved from the right side to the left. The audio has been redone. Then, the queue was redone two years ago <I believe>.

As far as Tomorrowland Speedway goes:

In 1988, it was shortened to make room for Mickey's Birthdayland/Starland/ToonTown Fair. In 1994, it was renamed "Tomorrowland Speedway" with the Tomorrowland makeover. In 1999, it was renamed "Tomorrowland Indy Speedway" and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway original 1909 brick was added, along with other IMS landmarks (the scoring tower, the "announcer", etc.). In 2009, it was renamed again back to Tomorrowland Speedway.

Not much has been left untouched. Even Country Bear Jamboree isn't immune; they had the old summertime Vacation Hoedown and the Christmas shows, which, unfortunately, no longer play.

Jungle Cruise was redone a few years back (2004-2005 timeframe, maybe?). The boats were redone.
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ThanxForNoticin View Post
    Interesting question.

As of last year they still used the gun, although just to show the hippos to make them leave, not to shoot! lol
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    ...Jungle Cruise is in the same position, but there are lots of rumors these days that it will soon go under the knife.
    Plastic surgeon or Embalmer?

Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerbellT421 View Post
    Didn't that just receive a complete overhaul last year or so ago?
    I know the treehouse was down for refurb in the fall of last year. I'm not sure if anything or what was changed though.
    Disneyland 30+
    * 2000 (Jul) - Off-site * 2003 (Aug) - Contemporary * 2006 (Jul) - Fort Wilderness Cabins * 2009-10 (Dec-Jan) - Caribbean Beach * 2011 (Nov) - POP (13 days!!!) * 2013 (Jul) - Saratoga Springs * 2014 (Jul) Boardwalk Villas * 2015 (Jul) AKV/VWL * 2016 (Jul) OKW

DVC SSR > Mar-2013

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: