Quantcast How many miles do you walk at each park in one day? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Aren't pedometers distorting the miles when you are on rides?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dopey's Girl View Post
    I'm another flip flop wearer. I have Teva flip flops and they are 100% more comfy than any tennies I have ever owned. They actually have some arch support. Love 'em!

Are you a fellow Mush wearer?! If so, Hello to my sister Mush wearer! Love, LOVE these flip flops! They are fantastic and my feet love them!

I too would think that rides would distort the pedometer reading...but maybe technology has furthered and they are making them different nowadays!?

Post Thanks / Like

Can someone recommend a free iphone pedometer that won't eat up my battery life?

Post Thanks / Like

Can someone tell me that if I walk anywhere from 6-14 miles/day and never touch a burger or fries, why o why do I always gain 5+ pounds while at WDW????

Must be the water!
    May/1999....CBR - Jamaica
    May/1995....CBR - Martinique
    May/1998....Wilderness Lodge
    June/2002...Wilderness Lodge
    June/2005...Wilderness Lodge
    Aug/2007....Wilderness Lodge
    June/2010...Wilderness Lodge CL
    July/2013 ...Wilderness Lodge CL Celebrating Our 25th Anniv.!

Post Thanks / Like

I used to regularly walk 6 miles a day. I'm pretty sure our touring style at Disney is closer to that than something like 14 miles.

My phone's pedometer doesn't strike me as much of a pedometer. There's no way to set length of stride, and it seems much more like a timer. I had it turned on one day when I was cleaning up some trash from a construction project and I know I did not walk 3 miles. It just kept counting, even when I was standing still throwing scraps in the wheelbarrow.

As for eating at Disney, our extending family usually have about a third that gain weight and a third that lose weight and the last group are neutral - no gain or loss. I usually fall in the no gain or loss.

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting -my answer is a lot since I have never kept track.

I wear crocs that seem to keep my knees and feet from hurting and if it rains, no big deal. I can get through the day with some wet clothes since I dress in layers but I hate to have wet feet.
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

I've always heard the general average is 6 - 10 miles per day. I can get on board with that.
    Scott
    2 visits as a child
    6/97, 6/01, 6/04: All-Star Sports
    12/05, 6/08: Pop Century
    May-June/10: Animal Kingdom Lodge
    5/11: All-Star Sports 1 night Epcot Flower & Garden
    May 2013 POFQ (25th anniversary!)

Post Thanks / Like

I always tell people we walk about 4000 miles a day...that's what it feels like.

The up side is we can eat all that lovely food and never gain a pound!
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

We average about 10 a day. One day on our last trip we did 13. I was kind of cranky that night.
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

I wear a high tech pedometer as part of a fitness program at work that rewards us for walking with gift cards-- a great deal indeed. On a normal day I average about 15,000 steps or 7.5 miles as I'm tall and have a long stride.

A normal Disney day has about 18,000-24,000 steps, but one day last summer I logged 30,430 steps, my all time record. That's 15+ miles in the July heat. Not bad for a 51 year old male.
    30+ trips; DCV owner at Beach Club Villas; 4 Disney cruises; 2 trips to Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrPeetrie View Post
    We brought a pedometer once and we averaged about 9-10 miles per day.
    We did the same and averaged 9 to 11 a day. And we started early and finished late. We tend to take mid day breaks now.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

It's soooo fantastic to be able to vacation, eat all that wonderful food and still go home in better shape than when we got there!!

I always chalk it up to the Magical Air in the parks!!
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

For the pedometer crowd, Most likely, your measurements are over-estimated. Each step, your pedometer records a predetermined measurement. That measurement is a "normal" stride. When at WDW normal strides arent always taken; you walk in crowds, go up and down stairs/inclines, walk in cues/lines/turnstiles. All those are shorter than normal strides.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by twinboyz View Post
    I sometimes see peeps wearing flip flops and I wonder how their feet can stand it!
    Or super high heels......
    Jill

14 visits (WDW)
    Offsite: Caribe Royale,Best Western
    On: POFQ, CBR, BC, WL, Dolphin

Post Thanks / Like

Based on the size of the parks (cuz I'm interested in that kind of stuff) and what I walk/run at home, I guess that we walk about 8-10 miles each day. That is, unless we're at Epcot. Then it's about 14-16 miles a day. And I can always feel it at the end of an Epcot day. It's why I usually follow up a day at Epcot over at DHS - a small park with lots of sit down shows. Feels so good to sit on those days.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

I have tracked and saved this for our past two trips. This was during the Goofy Challenge, so normally we wouldn't walk 38 miles a day. But, when we weren't running or recovering from the run, we seemed to be around 15-16 miles per day for my wife and I.

5-Jan Arrival, Expo, Epcot 8.72
    6-Jan 5k, DHS 13.21
    7-Jan 1/2, Expo, MK 24.13
    8-Jan Marathon, Epcot 38.27
    9-Jan EPCOT 11.54
    10-Jan MK 13.76
    11-Jan AK, DTD, Run, Boma 15.48
    12-Jan MK 15.61
    13-Jan EPCOT 14.51
    14-Jan MK, Epcot, Depart 8.04

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CuteAsMinnie View Post
    Can someone tell me that if I walk anywhere from 6-14 miles/day and never touch a burger or fries, why o why do I always gain 5+ pounds while at WDW????

Must be the water!

...unexplained weigh gain in the Orlando area has been attributed to a phenomenon called the "DW Factor".

...the "DW"..is for "Dole Whip"...not Disney World!!
    April '04- POP
    "Jersey Week" '04 - ASM
    "Jersey Week" '05- POP
    "Jersey Week" '06- POP
    "Jersey Week"'07- DCL & POP
    "Jersey Week" '08- POP
    Dec '09- Jan '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '11- POP
    Aug-Sept '12- POP
    Aug-Sept '13- POP
    Aug '17 - POP

Post Thanks / Like

I find it funny that people are insinuating that people who actually used pedometers are lying or something. Obviously, we all do Disney differently. I'm sure there are some people who walk very little because they are in no hurry and don't care if they don't do everything. Then there are others, who want to make every minute of their trip hitting everything. We walk from open to close everyday on our 7 day trips. After the parks close we walk at the resort, or sometimes head to Downtown Disney. I know other people who spend the majority of their trip at their resorts. Who cares? The question was, how many miles do YOU walk? I guess I don't understand the questioning by some?
    Formerly luvinmesomedisney. Someone in the family turned off my "remember me" button and I forgot ME. Forgot my password so had to use a different name.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvtink View Post
    I find it funny that people are insinuating that people who actually used pedometers are lying or something. Obviously, we all do Disney differently. I'm sure there are some people who walk very little because they are in no hurry and don't care if they don't do everything. Then there are others, who want to make every minute of their trip hitting everything. We walk from open to close everyday on our 7 day trips. After the parks close we walk at the resort, or sometimes head to Downtown Disney. I know other people who spend the majority of their trip at their resorts. Who cares? The question was, how many miles do YOU walk? I guess I don't understand the questioning by some?
    I don't think people are saying that others are lying, they're just saying that pedometers aren't always accurate, and our perceptions of how many miles we walk may be higher than the reality. The average walking speed is about 3.1 mph so just to hit 15 miles you're looking at 5 hours of non-stop walking. No shuffling in lines, no sitting on rides, no watching shows, etc. I know everyone has different touring styles, but if we were all covering as many miles as we think we are, then we'd be a little bit slimmer as a nation. The only way to really know would be for someone to take a surveyor's wheel with them and see what they come up with.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    I wear a high tech pedometer as part of a fitness program at work that rewards us for walking with gift cards-- a great deal indeed.
    That's cool! Would love to hear more about that!
    91 Co
    8 M
    00,1,2 S
    3 CB 25
    4 P,Mu,AKL
    5 S
    6 Pp,CB,G 30
    7 S/D,CB
    8 CB,G 30
    9 Mu,CBP/Or,P
    10 CBP,P
    11 Mu,Do/Ret,P