Quantcast How many miles do you walk at each park in one day? - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Jeanie View Post
    My family and I were trying to guess how many miles you would walk in each park while visiting that park for a whole day. I thought that I had read somewhere on some touring plan web site that the average person walked 18 miles during a day visiting the Magic Kingdom. Could this be right?

For all those people out there that have smart phones with pedometers, what is your experience. How many miles do you think that you walk around each park in an average day of visiting that park. (from opening to closing)
    Great post! Now you have me curious and I'm gonna have to find something to use and check this out for myself!
    91 Co
    8 M
    00,1,2 S
    3 CB 25
    4 P,Mu,AKL
    5 S
    6 Pp,CB,G 30
    7 S/D,CB
    8 CB,G 30
    9 Mu,CBP/Or,P
    10 CBP,P
    11 Mu,Do/Ret,P
    12 Mu,CB,AA AK
    13 P 35
    14 P,CB,Mu
    15 P,FQ,C,M,S

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

The accuracy of pedometers is suspect. I'm a UPS man and thought I would try that once. What I quickly dicovered is the vibrations are what activate a pedometer. Just driving down the road was andding steps at a pace much faster than walking. One 2 minute ride on Space Mountain would put more steps into it than an hour of trekking through the park. So ride a couple fast rides, typically the coasters, and you quickly distort any accuracy in those little things.

And your typical length of stride in the crowds I ususally encounter at Disney World compared to when I'm out walking for exercise is likely half as long or less. Especially at the Magic Kingdom. I'm at a much more leisurly pace, and usually have to walk at the pace of a 3 or 4 year old.

Just a thought.

Disney World
    Off site - 1980-1983
    CR - 87, BC - 95, YC - 99, BW - 05, GF - 06, BW - 07
    BC - 09 with kids and grandkids
    BC - 10, BC - '11,
    June 2012, family retirement vacation Poly
    Dec. 2013 GF/BC CL
    Sept. 2014. GF. CL. 40th Anniversary.

It ain't a vacation if you don't go fishin!

Post Thanks / Like

There is an app on Google Earth that will measure how far the distance is from point to point along a progressive path. I had a starting point in the middle of the Beach Club and followed the walkways from there to the International Gateway and proceded along the UK through World Showcase over to Journey into Imaginations and continued to every attraction and restaurant. After finishing Future World I continued to World Showcase talking a virtual walk around the world. I added "steps" up into every Country from the main walkway and back before going to the next country.I even backtracked a couple times just because thats what I do in real life. I completed my day at Epcot nd walked back to the Beach Club.
    Total Distance Walked...4.1 miles
    I then "walked" over to Disney Studios along the walkway past Boardwalk and along the canal. I did that park hitting all the main attractions I would do starting with RRC, TOT, Star Tours, TSM and others. I was "exausted" from my virtual day at Disney so I took the boat back to the Light House at the Beach Club.
    Total Distance walked...3.36 miles.
    For the day...7.46 miles
    Thats really more than I usually do in a day but falls into that 6-8 miles category that seems to come up most often.
    The 13 + mile days some people think thay do... I'm thinkin not. But if you do it's a great workout and I don't think I would put on any weight with that kind of commando attack. Then again, if I walked that far I wouldn't have tme to stop and eat anything either!

Just a few more veggies in the soup to talk about!

Just for kicks I just did Magic Kingdom. Including the walk to and from the busses, hitting the entire park and adding some back and forth for waiting lines, going back to Space Mountain for my fast pass from in front of the castle and back to to the Crystal Palace for lunch at one point, it all came out to 3.6 miles. I think when you are dodgeing thousands of people in 95 degree heat, it just seems like a whole lot farther and a lot more work.

Disney World
    Off site - 1980-1983
    CR - 87, BC - 95, YC - 99, BW - 05, GF - 06, BW - 07
    BC - 09 with kids and grandkids
    BC - 10, BC - '11,
    June 2012, family retirement vacation Poly
    Dec. 2013 GF/BC CL
    Sept. 2014. GF. CL. 40th Anniversary.

It ain't a vacation if you don't go fishin!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I guess the theories are great but when you are calculating walks to only rides and buses, you are leaving out a whole lot of walking. How about shopping? We do a whole lot of shopping, not to mention running back and forth to different parades, going across the park to get to a certain eatery, meeting friends at the front gate after we have already been in a park for 3 hours or so, and then starting all over. I guess if you use direct routes around the parks, yes, it is only the amount you are indicating, but just count my family as those "Commandos" you are referring to. When in Disney, we are on the go! If I wanted to sit and relax, I would go to the beach every year instead of Disney World!
    Formerly luvinmesomedisney. Someone in the family turned off my "remember me" button and I forgot ME. Forgot my password so had to use a different name.

Post Thanks / Like

Reminds me of many a automobile commercial where they flash the MPG - and then throw in "actual mileage may vary".

For many of us, our actual mileage does indeed vary, but I try to look at the big picture - I'm in a wonderful place with my wonderful family creating memories for a lifetime.

Visits:
    1997 - day trip
    Sept. 2006 - WL
    May 2007 - WL
    May 2009 - WL
    May 2010 - WL
    May 2012 - WL
    May 2015- WL Girls Trip!!!
    May 2017 -POR Girls Trip!
    May 2018 - WL Girls Trip
    May 2019 - WL Girls Trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by badkitty View Post
    Aren't pedometers distorting the miles when you are on rides?
    We had picked up a cheap pedometer before one of our trips. I did notice that both the buses and the rides were adding to the numbers.

I'm not sure about the more expensive ones or those in phones.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

My guess is 5-7 miles per day. I kept a pretty close eye on my pedometer. Don't think I could have walked 12-18 miles a day like some posters said they did. Whatever we walked, it was my limit for the day!

This included not only the parks, but from the hotel room to the buses and such.

Epcot is on the high end.
    First trip: 1992 with sister, last trip 2018 with grandchild, not done yet!

Post Thanks / Like

This thread makes me feel better--I am training to run a half marathon in May and was worried about taking time off from my normal running 5-8 miles a day. Sounds like I'm going to get more exercise than I thought--I love it. My daughter (20) wears flip flops all day and feels comfortable. I couldn't do that. I love my crocs though!
    Susanne

Mom to 6 rowdy kids,
    1 Keeshond, 1 cat and 2 horses

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a runner too and you I can tell you that you don't have to worry. You'll be walking lots and lots of miles. You WILL get much more exercise than you thought!
    Nice work, pal.

Post Thanks / Like

My family and I tried to figure this out from our trip a few weeks ago (we were so excited when we saw this post after our own discussions). We tried to come up with an estimate, and one day we went to Magic Kingdom in the morning (we tried to include our walking to and from the buses), spent the morning walking around the park at least twice, then took the bus back to our hotel (the Dolphin), walked from the Dolphin to EPCOT (all the way to the front of the park and then all around world showcase twice) in the afternoon, then we walked back to our hotel, then walked back to EPCOT from the Dolphin that night - walked same route to front of park then back to world showcase for Illuminations, then walked back to Dolphin Hotel. We figured this, plus any incidental walking around hotel to and from our rooms, pool, etc., must have added up pretty good. We estimated walking at least 10 miles that day.
    Polynesian - '78 (Honeymoon), '84, '85
    Fairway Villa - '79
    Royal Plaza - '82
    Off Site - '88
    Caribbean Beach - '89, '90, '92
    Dixie Landings - '94, '95, '96, '97, '98
    Port Orleans - '99, '00, '03
    Wilderness Lodge - '06, '07, '09, '10, '11
    Dolphin - '12

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: