Quantcast Fastpass dilemma--it had to happen to me, of course!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fastpass dilemma--it had to happen to me, of course!

I was one of those people who wondered how the recent enforcement of the Fastpass window would affect touring the parks. And wouldn't you know, a scenario that I mentioned happened to my son and I last week! We went into DHS for Extra Magic Hours and straight to Toy Story Mania, only to find that it was down. So we got in the Fastpass line but by the time we got up to the machine the return time almost exactly coincided with our ADR time at Sci-Fi Diner (Fastpass return time 1245, ADR for 1255). So we had to think fast--do we take the Fastpass and try to hit the ride up first and hope that our ADR will be honored when we are done? Or do we try to check in a bit early for our ADR and still make the Fast pass return time? Or should we wait around and go through the Fastpass distribution line again and get a later time (not a thrilling idea since we had planned to head over to Magic Kingdom right after our lunch at Sci-Fi). We opted to talk the Fastpass and try and check in early for lunch. In actuality we got seated 15 minutes late even as dozens of walk-ups were being told that there was an 1 to 1-1/2 hour wait. We told our server that we were kind of in a rush and she was able to get us out of there in time to make the 15 minutes' grace time at TSMM, but it made for a rather hectic hour. If the ride had not been down to begin with we probably would have just forgone the Fastpass and gotten in the standby line. But the Fastpass was our only opportunity to go on the ride this trip.

I do not want to start a debate over the Fastpass window enforcement. I just found it ironic that the exact scenario I mentioned on the boards would happen to my son and I.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I do understand. On our trip last month, there were a few times when I needed to do some quick calculations in my mind to determine if we could both manage our dining reservation as well as the fast pass return time. Fortunately, we didn't run into something as tight as you did.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

wow!

so glad to hear that disney is finally enforcing the rules for fastpasses.

we have been to cedar point,king`s Island,universal and many other theme parks and after waiting in a huge line rides have broken down just before our turn.

same scenario,we can`t return later and cut in line if we choose not to remain in line for who knows how long.

I`m sure in the past many others have returned at their fastpass window and had a big line due to people returning far outside their time on the pass.
    "there`s a great big beautiful tomorrow"

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Same thing happened to us with Space Mountain on our last day in the parks last week.

We got FP's for Space Mountain and the window was from 11:10 to 12:10. Problem. We had an ADR at Crystal Palace at 11:15!

We ended up ordering food and then dashing across Tomorrowland, getting our ride on Space Mountain, and then dashing back again.

Annoying and unnecessary, but I guess this is the "fun and magic" that NextGen is bringing us!
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, life is not about endless choice. Decisions have to be made. Most people make dining reservations at 180 days out from their trip. I would give the fastpasses to someone else and try again later rather than miss Le Cellier! One can always stand on line for Soarin', but one cannot stand on line for the filet of beef!
    1975 & 1977 - Summer - Disneyland
    1991 April - WDW
    1993 April - WDW
    2006 June - Saratoga Springs
    2007 July – Saratoga Springs
    2010 February - Caribbean Beach Resort
    2010 October – AKL Jambo
    2011 July - Old Key West
    2013 October - OKW
    2015 September - AKL Jambo
    2016 September - AKL Jambo

Post Thanks / Like

This is the main reason why I only have 1 ADR planned. All other dining will be spontaneous and will not interfere with FP times. I'm not heading to DW to enjoy the different cuisines available because I live among some of the greatest food choices on earth.
    Off-site August 1986
    All Star Music May/June 1999
    Coronado Springs August 2012
    Animal Kingdom Lodge May 2017
    Port Orleans Riverside June 2022 (planned)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by j2k View Post
    This is the main reason why I only have 1 ADR planned. All other dining will be spontaneous and will not interfere with FP times. I'm not heading to DW to enjoy the different cuisines available because I live among some of the greatest food choices on earth.
    Agreed! No ADRs for us. We have enough schedules at home. I am there for the rides & entertainment, not food. Thinking of scheduling FP times ahead of our trip already gives me a headache.

But I TOTALLY understand the frustration of those with ADRs. That kind of rushing around can be frazzling to anyone! Sorry you had to hurry through your meal!
    Paging Mr. Morrow... Mr. Tom Morrow. Please contact Mr. Johnson in the control tower to confirm your flight to the moon.

BC: 9/12, 7/13, 1/14, 5/14, 9/14, 1/15, 9/15, 9/16
    GF: 9/16
    SSR: 9/13
    WL: 5/16
    BW: 9/11
    OKW: 7/10
    AK: 6/09
    BLT: 9/15
    CBR: 8/07
    ASMo 12/14
    Offsite: 8/88

Post Thanks / Like

Disney's OFFICIAL policy is that ADR's are honored 1/2 hour after the scheduled time. My experience is that they are a little more lenient than that.

Other options you might try:

Show up to the fast pass entry 10 minutes early and show your ADR conformation number to the FP CM and ask to go in a few minutes earlier.

Call Disney Dining or go to the host at the restaurant and explain that you might be a little late to your ADR.

Go to the FP machine and see if anyone wants t trade their later FP for your earlier FP.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fastpasssteve View Post
    Well, life is not about endless choice.
    <snipped myself>... since the OP didn't want to start another argument.
    Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

Post Thanks / Like

Some reports of the 15 min. Grace Period (which is actually printed on the FP) is not consistently honored.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A Big Kid View Post
    Go to the FP machine and see if anyone wants t trade their later FP for your earlier FP.
    That's a great idea! Never thought of that.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Our trip next trip is 550 days away, guess I should start marking the times of day i have to go to the bathroom, so that i can make my restroom reservation when its time.

Gotta love the way a Disney "vacation" is headed....
    82 - Offsite
    85- Fort Wilderness
    88- Polynesian
    96- Offsite
    97- Offsite
    98- Offsite
    08 - French Quarter
    09 - Coronado Springs
    09 - All Star Sports
    09 - Pop Century
    09 - Off Site
    10- French Quarter
    11 - All Star Sports
    14 -Coronado Springs
    15 - All Star Sports
    17 - TBD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stephicakes View Post
    Agreed! No ADRs for us. We have enough schedules at home. I am there for the rides & entertainment, not food.
    We only had three ADR's for our trip, those at restaurants we really wanted to eat at, for one reason or another. I agree that it would be nice not to have to schedule any, but I do think there are times when walk-ups are difficult (like the poor people at Sci-Fi that were being told it it would be a 1+ hour wait!) Lunches are probably worse than dinner. If I had to do it over again, I would just use my iPhone app to see what restaurants have availability at the beginning of the day and book it then.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    If I had to do it over again, I would just use my iPhone app to see what restaurants have availability at the beginning of the day and book it then.
    This is exactly what we did on our last trip for most of our dining reservations. We did a couple of lunch walk-ups which were successful - including Sci Fi Dine In and Rose n Crown.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dyin tago View Post
    I`m sure in the past many others have returned at their fastpass window and had a big line due to people returning far outside their time on the pass.
    Actually, we encountered a couple of times when the Fastpass return line was almost as long as the standby line on this trip--once at Space Mountain in the evening (about 6:50 p.m.) and once at Mission Space. Both times it really wasn't apparent until you got inside the building. Very strange.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--

Post Thanks / Like

I still don't see that it's really as big of a deal as some try to make it seem. You are in the parks for a limited amount of time. Isn't the #1 newbie tip on this board always, don't try to see it all because it ain't gonna happen? So you have to prioritize and make choices. To me it seems perfectly reasonable.

We're among the many others who don't like to be tied to ADRs because of the loss of flexibility. I schedule a couple and then wing it. There are many popular restaurants that I may never get into, but my experience with Disney dining so far has taught me that there really isn't any meal truly special enough to warrant the 180 scheduling. So I miss a few popular restaurants; at least I'm stress free and enjoying my vacation.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

i think dining is a huge part of the trip. gotta have some time to relax and get some energy.

personally i am glad that they are enforcing the time on fast pass. if you go in a time later than your time, isn't that the same as cutting in line?
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    Actually, we encountered a couple of times when the Fastpass return line was almost as long as the standby line on this trip--once at Space Mountain in the evening (about 6:50 p.m.) and once at Mission Space. Both times it really wasn't apparent until you got inside the building. Very strange.
    Yeah I have to say that I saw absolutely zero reduction in FP wait times because of the enforcement of the one hour window.

If that's what it was intended to do it failed. Epicly. The FP lines in Space Mountain, Buzz, TSM, and Soarin' (the only attractions we used FP for) were all just as long as they always were.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChipNDale79 View Post
    Our trip next trip is 550 days away, guess I should start marking the times of day i have to go to the bathroom, so that i can make my restroom reservation when its time.

Gotta love the way a Disney "vacation" is headed....

Urbs
    Cresson, PA

Off Site - 76, 79, 82, 90
    Dixie Landings - 97
    Contemporary - 03
    ASM - 9/08
    PC 10/09 & 10/10
    FQ 11/12
    BW & CB 6/13
    Off Site (Parkway International) 9/13
    Shades of Green 9/14
    DCL (Wonder) 10/14
    AK Lodge & BW 5/15
    FW 9/15
    Shades of Green 3/16

Post Thanks / Like

i might be late on the uptake... what happens when you go back for your FP time and the ride is down? Are you just out of luck?
    Trish

Next Trip Jan 2015 1 night POR, then BWV renting points
    Sept 2013 BWV renting points
    Nov 2012 BWV renting points for my big 4-0
    Sept 2011 BWV renting points
    Sept 2009 POP
    Sept 2008 POP
    Sept. 2007 POP
    Sept 2003 ASMu

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: