Quantcast AKL vs. Yatch Club

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default AKL vs. Yatch Club

We are planning our trip in June and trying to decide which resort to stay at. We have 2 girls ages 14 and 12. We are looking at Animal Kingdom Lodge and Yatch Club. If you have stayed at either of these please share your experience.
    TIA

Shannon

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

These are our 2 favorite resorts in Disney. The Yacht club is beautiful and less noisy than the Beach club. You do get to use the pool at the BC but we found we liked the quiet pool and hot tub at the YC. Walking distance to Studios and Epcot is a big plus.
    AKL to mention first the only con is you need to be bussed to everything. If that is not a problem then it has so much for your girls to do. The pools at both Kadani & Jambo are great. The hot tubs at Jambo are set away from the pool . They give you a list of the animals to find and you can spend countless hours locating them. To sit on your balcony and watch the giraffe's are so relaxing and beautiful. There are daily activities and night vision goggles are pretty cool. The stories around the fire pit at night are pretty neat. We love the food at AKL.
    Either resort you can't go wrong. Both are great choices.
    First trip May 1996 and many since
    DVC Owner BWV
    Next trips 2015 : March SSR, May-AKLV& Poly Oct- BWV & Dec- BCV

Post Thanks / Like

The Yacht Club is very nice and I love it, but it's not a lot of fun. The area is fun with lots to explore. You have the Boardwalk, the Beach Club, and the Swan and Dolphin nearby- not to mention Epcot and Disney Hollywood Studios are so close. There's a lot to explore in the surroundings, but the resort itself is probably not very enticing to teens. It has a more adult vibe, not very colorful or whimsical. But it shares the beach and pool with the Beach Club and that is like a mini water park and probably the best on property. All the pros might make the YC more appealing over all.

The AKL, I haven't stayed there but I love exploring it. There is so much at the resort to take in. It has a more adventurous, exciting vibe than the YC, probably more appealing to teens. But the proximity to parks other than AK is not fantastic. It feels a little remote, and it's bus service only to all parks (which isn't really a bug deal- Disney buses are pretty good). It also has an exotic, appealing pool area. So it really depends on your group, what appeals to you all. Not to mention that the AKL is probably more of a value, if budget is an issue.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Both pools combined at AKL can't hold a candle to the pool shared by YC and BC...
    I do like AKL hotel and rooms better...but how much time do you spend...me. Give me the POOL.
    Pirate Granny

October 2020 — 3 nights OKW, 3 nights Poly Lakeview and 1 night BWV studios
    November 2020 — BRV studio 9 nights
    December 2020 entire family GV OKW
    December 2020 January 2021 BCV studio

OH YEAH BABY !!! Proud owners at OKW + BCV + BRV + RR

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yacht it is

Both hotels are awesome and have their unique charm. What it really comes down to is location. Animal kingdom lodge is out by itself, where the yacht club is walking distance to Epcot and a short boat ride to HS. Also you are a stroll away from the boardwalk nightlife. With your girls at that age, they would probably find the area around the YC more exciting. That being said, both hotels are winners in my book. Enjoyed them both.

- Douiedan
    Douie Dan

Contemporary '74
    Polynesian '76,
    Carribean Beach '93,
    Carribean Beach '94,
    Boardwalk Villas '96,
    Coronado '97,
    Carribean '98,
    Disney Institute '00,
    Beach Club '01,
    Animal Kingdom Lodge '06,
    Off-Site '07,
    Boardwalk '08
    Carribean '10

Post Thanks / Like

Either the AKL, or YC, is a great choice.

AKL is a unique resort. A savannah view room provides an awesome experience to watch the animals. The Arusha savannah is the best choice. For dining, Jiko is excellent, Boma is good, and Mara is a very good food court option. Other strengths include detailed theming and short trip to AK park.

The YC has a great location. A short walk to Epcot, an easy walk or boat to DHS, and the boardwalk area is hard to beat. The pool area is a plus and the resort is very nice. You have convenient dining options at the resorts, boardwalk, and Epcot. Again, skipping the bus to/from Epcot is huge.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, the best choice is more a function of what your family prefers.

- The rooms at Yacht Club have an extra day bed (love seat/couch) and are larger than the rooms at AKL. The Yacht Club rooms also tend to be brighter, get more natural light, etc. than the once at AKL.

- If you will be spending most of your time at Epcot and the Hollywood Studios, I would say Yacht Club because of location.

- If you will be spending most of your time at the Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, the water parks, and Downtown Disney, you might find AKL transportation faster/easier.

- If you are animal lovers and want easier access to African meals at Boma or Indian meals at Sanaa, then go for the AKL. The Yacht Club has a wider variety of restaurants within walking distance. (Although, if you are going to be in the parks every day, you might eat all of your meals in the parks, so these features would be irrelevant.)

- If you really like the pool at Yacht Club, stay there. (Although AKL has a decent pool, with a slide, and a hot tub.)

- There is a marina with boat rentals at Yacht Club, but not at AKL. There is large wild animal viewing only at AKL.

- If you love being around boats and like the "New England seaside charm" then the Yacht Club is great for people of any age. If you want something more exotic or with more wild animals, go for AKL.

Honestly, for me it would come down to room size, location, and of course price. (AKL is often less expensive than Yacht Club, especially if you don't get a savannah view room.)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the tips & ideas. We decided since we couldn't decide that we would stay at both. We are going to resort hop! YEAH!!

We will be at Yatch Club for half of the week with us spending time at Epcot & HDS. The rest of the week we will stay at AKL! I am so looking forward to both stays. I can't wait to visit Disney again!

Thanks again!

Shannon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShanlovesMickey View Post
    Thanks for all the tips & ideas. We decided since we couldn't decide that we would stay at both. We are going to resort hop! YEAH!!

We will be at Yatch Club for half of the week with us spending time at Epcot & HDS. The rest of the week we will stay at AKL! I am so looking forward to both stays. I can't wait to visit Disney again!

Thanks again!

Shannon
    This was going to be my suggestion. We once couldn't decide between BC and Poly so we split the stay at both!!!! I hope you have a fantastic time!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Go for the Animal Kingdom Lodge. The kids will love it. There are plenty of areas for viewing animals. The hotel interior itself is pretty exciting and places to explore in the lobby. The yacht club does have the really cool pool, but its a much quieter and older crowd type of place. I think youll actually get a better rate at the animal kindgom lodge. But the yacht club is very conveniently located in proximity to HS and Epcot.

Post Thanks / Like

Animal Kingdom Lodge
    "Is there a 12 step program for this Mouse addiction?"

Next Trips:

11/18-11/29 Destination D:Amazing Adventures!! GF for two nights then Caribbean Beach with free dining...

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: