Quantcast Fastpass Changes In March - Page 7

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post

What is wrong with me, I'm actually defending TDO???
    HA! Who are you and what have you done with the real DizneyFreak2002?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I have visited WDW in the years before there was a FastPass system, when everybody waited in line, and in crowded times, the waits were sometimes horrible. But yet the parks were packed just like they are now (well, there was only 1 or 2 parks backs then). Then when the FastPass system was introduced, it greatly improved the efficiency of being able to spend less time waiting in line for the most popular attractions, and you could use the time you formerly spent in the long lines riding some of the less popular attractions. So overall, a guest spent less of his/her park time waiting and more time riding/seeing attractions. More efficient. Great system.

And it was (still is) free. Yes, I know the cost of the system is built in to your park tickets, but when you purchase a park ticket, you are not guaranteed or promised any FastPasses for any attractions. They could be out of passes by the time you get to the machines, or they may have technical difficulties, or Disney may decide to do away with the FastPass option for certain attractions altogether (which as been done before). In none of those cases is a guest entitled to any refund or compensation. So it that sense, FastPass is a "free" "perk" and not a "paid for" privilege.

Somewhere along the line, for some reason, (maybe just for the convenience of CM's), Disney made the decision not to enforce the return time "window" of the FastPass system. It wasn't officially publicized; and the written policy/rule of the window was never changed; it just stopped being enforced. Eventually most people found out about it and took advantage of the non-enforcement. While this was convenient for many of us, there is no question that it made the FastPass system less efficient than designed, because the number of guests entering an attraction using FastPasses at certain times of the day was no longer controlled.

Now they have decided to begin enforcing the rule again. Like the stop-sign example I gave earlier, there will be (and already is) lots of wailing and gnashing of teeth from many guests and It is Disney's own fault for creating the backlash in the first place. But enforcing the return time policy will improve the overall efficiency of the system (more time riding, less time waiting).
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post
    That will be 2 hrs, plus a 1 hr window plus 15 minutes. So you have 3 hours and 15 minutes to get back. That's a lot of time.
    Sorry, I'm lost. How did you determine 3hr and 15 minutes? Where did the 2 hrs come from?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChipNDale79 View Post
    It's pretty simple, as you've been saying all along, don't go. But I dont see how that helps Disney, and in the end what they really care about is filling their resorts up with guests and selling merchandise and food to those guests. So if the decisions they make upset enough people, like adding another fee for another service, those people who go on a yearly basis may very well not go as much.

Currently they are NOT filling their rooms or parks, so in the end it'll hurt their bottom line.

Ive experienced Disney when fast passes were gone and wait times for attractions like HM were 2 hours, you wont catch me dead in a Disney park in that situation ever again. It wasnt fun, if they start charging for Fast Passes, as Universals does, that's exactly the situation they will find themselves in.

Can you explain to me how people not going to WDW helps the Walt Disney Company?

However I do think we have gotten completely off topic.
    Well, I think the economy has a lot to do with it, but then again, everywhere I read the parks are usually packed... But that is a discussion for another thread...

Quote Originally Posted by badkitty View Post
    HA! Who are you and what have you done with the real DizneyFreak2002?
    A bright light came through my window... Next thing I knew i was surrounded by little green people with big eyes.... A poke here and a prod there and I was back in my bedroom.. Planet Kandor is lovely this time of year...

Quote Originally Posted by joonyer View Post
    I have visited WDW in the years before there was a FastPass system, when everybody waited in line, and in crowded times, the waits were sometimes horrible. But yet the parks were packed just like they are now (well, there was only 1 or 2 parks backs then). Then when the FatsPass system was introduced, it greatly improved the efficiency of being able to spend less time waiting in line for the most popular attractions, and you could use the time you formerly spent in the long lines riding some of the less popular attractions. So overall, a guest spent less of his/her park time waiting and more time riding/seeing attractions. More efficient. Great system.

And it was (still is) free. Yes, I know the cost of the system is built in to your park tickets, but when you purchase a park ticket, you are not guaranteed or promised any FastPasses for any attractions. They could be out of passes by the time you get to the machines, or they may have technical difficulties, or Disney may decide to do away with the FastPass option for certain attractions altogether (which as been done before). In none of those cases is a guest entitled to any refund or compensation. So it that sense, FastPass is a "free" "perk" and not a "paid for" privilege.

Somewhere along the line, for some reason, (maybe just for the convenience of CM's), Disney made the decision not to enforce the return time "window" of the FastPass system. It wasn't officially publicized; and the written policy/rule of the window was never changed; it just stopped being enforced. Eventually most people found out about it and took advantage of the non-enforcement. While this was convenient for many of us, there is no question that it made the FastPass system less efficient than designed, because the number of guest entering an attraction using FastPasses at certain times of the day was no longer controlled.

Now they have decided to begin enforcing the rule again. Like the stop-sign example I gave earlier, there will be (and already is) lots of wailing and gnashing of teeth from many guests and It is Disney's own fault for creating the backlash in the first place. But enforcing the return time policy will improve the overall efficiency of the system (more time riding, less time waiting).
    Me needs to like this post!!!
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I can find 1000 other reasons not to go to WDW every year, FP is not one of them... But that is your decision and you are entitled to it...

And whether we think it is a good idea or not, if Disney decides to go that way, what can we do? Not go..
    Dude, you just don't get it. I actually want to go. I like WDW. I like the systems the way they are. If you don't like something about your fav place, you don't just "stop going". You scream at management until something is done. Only after you exhaust that option do you go every 2-4 years instead of every year. Why? Because the experience is less enjoyable, so why spend $5K for a diminishing return.

As for those folks who think we should "plan better", if I want to ride SplashMT and the return time is right during my ADR, do I just say "dangit" and not get the fastpass or wait around until the fastpass time is what I need? The simple point is the system will be a lot less convenient - especially for people like me with kids. Kids don't move like we adults do, so I guarantee I'll be either missing the fastpass windows frequently, yanking my kids around all over the park as fast as we can, or spending a lot more time in stand-by. Quite simply, the convenience is significantly less. And I WILL tell management, through the CMs if necesary (kindly, of course), that the new policy is lousy and not very family friendly.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    Dude, you just don't get it. I actually want to go. I like WDW. I like the systems the way they are. If you don't like something about your fav place, you don't just "stop going". You scream at management until something is done. Only after you exhaust that option do you go every 2-4 years instead of every year. Why? Because the experience is less enjoyable, so why spend $5K for a diminishing return.

As for those folks who think we should "plan better", if I want to ride SplashMT and the return time is right during my ADR, do I just say "dangit" and not get the fastpass or wait around until the fastpass time is what I need? The simple point is the system will be a lot less convenient - especially for people like me with kids. Kids don't move like we adults do, so I guarantee I'll be either missing the fastpass windows frequently, yanking my kids around all over the park as fast as we can, or spending a lot more time in stand-by. Quite simply, the convenience is significantly less. And I WILL tell management, through the CMs if necesary (kindly, of course), that the new policy is lousy and not very family friendly.
    I need to like this post!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by badkitty View Post
    Sorry, I'm lost. How did you determine 3hr and 15 minutes? Where did the 2 hrs come from?
    Typically the window tends to start off 2 hours after you get the FP. Sometimes more or less but most reports have that as typical. So just went with that as the minimum wait for the calculation.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Gator, don't you get it, we're just supposed to "take it".

Some people even want Disney to ask us to cough up more money.
    82 - Offsite
    85- Fort Wilderness
    88- Polynesian
    96- Offsite
    97- Offsite
    98- Offsite
    08 - French Quarter
    09 - Coronado Springs
    09 - All Star Sports
    09 - Pop Century
    09 - Off Site
    10- French Quarter
    11 - All Star Sports
    14 -Coronado Springs
    15 - All Star Sports
    17 - TBD

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing there changes any argument. The adult does the planning. It's up to the adult to plan the day so do it. Been there done that and it isn't really hard at all. Sure it's not as convenient but however the system works out it's pretty small inconvenience given everything else there is in life.

Oh, telling management is fine, screaming and berating a poor CM who didn't create the rule really isn't appropriate. Once the details are known, they aren't yet, then write management if you feel you need to do so but leave the CM alone, it isn't their fault.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

And as a little side note, Disney is always accommodating for people arriving a little late for their ADRs... I know I have been a half hour late due to Disney bus transportation and they ALWAYS sat me...

So it's ok to be late for dinner reservations, but not the Fast Pass? How are the two any different? When you are late for your dinner reservation, the person who has that table after you has to wait longer for theirs.

I guess everyone picks and chooses which rules they want to "break."
    84 - FW
    94 - Off Site
    95 - ASMu
    96 - Off Site
    08 - POFQ
    2/09 - Coronado
    7/09 - AS Sports
    9/09 - POP
    12/09- One day for Christmas
    4/10 - POFQ
    7/10 - Offsite
    3/11 - AS Sports
    5/14 - Coronado
    7/15 - AS Sports
    7/17 - Coronado

Post Thanks / Like

This is really no big deal to me. I just convinced my husband about two trips ago that it was okay to not return within the window, that we could be late and still be let on. So now I just have to tell him we're back to following the window. We'll plan better and use standby more. We'll still have a great vacation and get to do all of our favorite things.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I don't really understand your logic here. If the Fastpass return time is incompatible with your schedule, you essentially have three options:

1) Reorganize your schedule to make room for this crucial attraction

2) Determine that the attraction is not crucial and skip it in favor of the previous commitment deemed more important

3) Determine the attraction and the previous commitment are both too crucial to miss and wait in the standby line as you otherwise would. Waiting in the standby line will always cycle you through your favorite attraction quicker than waiting for a Fastpass window open hours later.

The reality is that the Fastpass system as designed works better for everyone when guests return during their windows. Disney allowed latecomers entry as a courtesy. That courtesy has been abused, much to the detriment of everybody else.
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

This is getting way out of hand. I think that it's OK to be a bit "disappointed" in the change but it's not the end of the world. There is a lot of negativity on both ends. To all of those who ALWAYS manage to make it back with your window, CONGRATULATIONS!!!! This policy will have NO effect on you, so I'm not really sure why it's necessary to make snarky remarks towards those who have found it difficult in the past or have appreciated the open-ended policy. How is it considered "rule-breaking" if WDW's own rules were to allow it??

Overall I do feel that we live in a society that is too "entitled" but as far as theme parks go, there is a certain truth to what Joonyer said about Disney creating their own monster. I will try my best to abide by the time window, and if I miss it, it will really stink and I'll be bummed-but I just wish Disney had enforced this policy from the get-go. Also, about being entitled to re-ride passes, I can't speak to as far back as park openings, but my first trip to Orlando was pre-fastpass days in August of 1995. Both WDW and Universal at that time were giving out "re-ride" passes when rides broke down. One of the things I vividly remember was the amount of time spent WAITING. Every line was 11/2 to 2 hours, leaving minimal times for re-rides if you wanted to hit everything. FastPass was and still is a God send. I hope they never charge.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think the new change will adversly affect very many astute Disney-philes that frequent this (or other) Disney fan site. I've been reading so many posts here at InterCOT and it is plainly obvious a great deal of preperation goes into a WDW trip prior to arrival. A GREAT DEAL of prep!!! When most (or near all) of us on this site arrive at WDW, we will be prepared to acknowledge the change. And should we miss our window, I expect we will be respectful of the CMs, who are just doing their job. (Many here ARE CMs.)

I think the real issue will lie with the casual Disney goer -- the family that has gone a couple of times and has an idea of how things work. The traveler that doesn't research their trip. (I don't research a trip to Cedar Point. I know the park and the system.) I think it is they -- the casual visiter -- who will be upset (irate) when they get their TSM FastPass, then miss their window to enter and find all the FPs are distributed. Those of us with children know no matter how much planning goes into our trip, our young ones can change our plans quickly. (They finally fall asleep and you don't want to wake them. Something didn't set well with their belly and now you need a complete attire change. etc.) Plans change. If they expect to be allowed 20 minutes after the window has closed and are not allowed, I think that will be upsetting.

Consider this:
    Imagine you have one day to visit DHS this year's trip. You've heard about Toy Story Mania and you have your FastPasses (for 2:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.) You have 1:45 ADRs at Prime Time Cafe. (Of course, you could not know when your FPs would be good when you made your ADRs six months ago.) You are seated 10 minutes late. You pay your bill and have 15 minutes to make TSM. Perfect! But, your 2YO NEEDS a change and the Baby Care Center is at the front of the park. You miss your window by 15 minutes. The CM, obviously sympathetic says, "I'm Sorry." The stand-by line is 90 minutes. 90 minutes with a 2YO? Not fun. In the past, 15 minutes late had not been an issue. This time, you had no idea changing your 2YO would mean missing your one and only shot at riding this ride this trip. I think this is when it will be problematic.

Perhaps the CMs can have "descretionary" FPs that can be distributed to those that miss their window when the circumstances allow. I know, this may cause more problems than solutions. But, it's a thought.
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to ride Splash Mountain, then stand on the standby line if the FP return time is during your ADR... If you know your ADR is for 5:30 and the FP return time is 5:00 to 6:00, then why get the FP when you know you cannot get in past 6 now???

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChipNDale79 View Post
    Gator, don't you get it, we're just supposed to "take it".

Some people even want Disney to ask us to cough up more money.
    If you want to use someone''s service, you abide by their rules... So, unfortunately, you have to take it... If you don't like it, write letters... Speak to a manager... And if that fails, then you are going to just have to deal with the policy... If someone doesn't like the policy, then they don't have to partake in the perk...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveMickey'77 View Post
    So it's ok to be late for dinner reservations, but not the Fast Pass? How are the two any different? When you are late for your dinner reservation, the person who has that table after you has to wait longer for theirs.

I guess everyone picks and chooses which rules they want to "break."
    The two are different... When you have a time printed on your fast pass ticket telling you to be back at the ride between 5 and 6, and you decide to show up when you want, and you can't get on, then you are out of luck... Right now, they do not enforce this, but come March 7, they will...

If they institute a policy that you have to arrive at your ADR within 15 minutes of your ADR time, and you show up 30 minutes late, and they refuse to seat you, then oh well... Right now, they do not enforce that... But if they decided to, then you have to abide...

And I never said anything about people breaking rules... We already know Disney are the ones who never enforced their own policies... People took advantage of it, good for them... Now they will not be able to, and will now have to plan better...

And for what it is worth, I am one of those that, if I have an ADR at a certain time, or receive a FP for a certain return time, I am always there at that time... there was one or two instances where Disney transportation caused me to be late to the park therefore late to my breakfast ADR, and they still sat me... If they told me I was too late, sorry, then I either see if I can sit as a walk in (which also has never been an issue in certain places) or I find somewhere else to eat... If they enforced a policy, then I am out of luck... Even if I didn't CHOOSE to be late... I'd also respectfully ask the CM to speak with a manager to discuss my situation...

But people are CHOOSING to be late to their fast pass return times... Which is not the intended use of the perk...

Post Thanks / Like

So this is really the tipping point for me, and I'll explain why.

My wife and chose to go to WDW for our honeymoon back in july of 2008, for a king bed at POF with the dining plan it was $2300. This was our first trip since HS, which was before the Fast Pass system. While on this trip we were given expired Fast Passes by a Cast Memeber and we were told that it didnt matter when we use them as long as its during or past the window.

Because we were not only given an expired FP from a CM and advised to use it after the time expired, Ive never seen the big deal is using it afterthe exipred time. It's interesting to come on here and people act like you've broken a law for doing so.

I mentioned the price of our honeymoon for a reason, I just priced out that same exact trip for this year, it runs about $2800, so in 4 short years the cost of said trip has increased $500. On top of that they are now enforcing a "rule" that they never have followed.

Also, today The Disney Company annouced that thier theme park revenue was up 1% while their profit was up 13%, well thats great they made a profit, but it also means they made cuts somewhere. They've increased the price of a trip while also making cuts to their spending, therefore I feel even though we spend more money to go to WDW, we actually get less for our money that we previously did.

I know this is a Disney board and for some of you Disney can do no wrong, but to me the value is starting to slip away.

When my family spends the amount of money that we do to travel to Disney I most certanily expect to be treated as more than a number. This was something that Disney has done very well, but lately I've started to see this slip as well.
    82 - Offsite
    85- Fort Wilderness
    88- Polynesian
    96- Offsite
    97- Offsite
    98- Offsite
    08 - French Quarter
    09 - Coronado Springs
    09 - All Star Sports
    09 - Pop Century
    09 - Off Site
    10- French Quarter
    11 - All Star Sports
    14 -Coronado Springs
    15 - All Star Sports
    17 - TBD

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Hey guys, the back and forth arguing and finger pointing and dramatics on both sides of this argument are just getting to be a bit too much.

I've found over the years that being on the extreme on any side of any argument means you're most likely wrong. There's a song by the band Live that I particularly like and I'm often reminded of the lyrics at a time like this ...

This is not a black and white world
    To be alive I say the colors must swirl
    And I believe that maybe today
    We will all get to appreciate the beauty of grey
    I think you've all made your points. Let's move on, k?
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Ugh! Starts march 7th???? That means its only six days to get it working smoothly until my trip. Here's hoping!
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: