Quantcast Too Young?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Too Young?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Too Young?

Hey Everyone,

We are planning on heading down in October with DD. She'll be 18 monnths. Are we setting ourselves up for failure? What are some tips from those that have gone with a child that young?

Thanks

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

People take all ages of kids. We had a stroller that reclined and went for our daughters 2nd birthday. She had a blast and a year later is still telling us she's ready to go back. She tells people that her mommy and daddy work to "save money to see mickey".

Big tips: Don't plan a lot of "set in stone" activities. Even with dining, we opted for buffets over sit down, because we had a little more control over how long we were there.

Get the disney parks video and talk about all the little kids meeting the "big" characters. We also watched some youtube videos to get her prepared for how big the characters would be. She was a little shy at first, but warmed up pretty quickly and by our second day was eager to greet any and every character.

Use your child as the alarm clock (sort of). If they are an early riser, but up and ready to go as soon as possible so you maximize their energy level. If they are a late sleeper, then plan for that.

Beware of loud noises for fireworks. Our DD loved Wishes, but hated Illuminations just because of the proximity to the noise.

Plan down time even in the parks, like going to a show or something less interactive and stimulating. our DD sometimes napped (like Ellens energy adventure) and it was a good break for all of us.

I hope those tips help. We had a great time, and I'm sure you will too. Use fast pass, rider swap, etc and just don't expect to see as much as you normally do.
    First visit: Feb. 1989
    a bunch in between
    Next visit: 6/16

Post Thanks / Like

We lived in Florida when my DS9 was born. We used to go every few months. So, the first time we took him, he was 2 months old. Every time we went, we noticed him becoming more interactive and really watching everything going on around him. When he was about 18 months, we really had a great time with him. He loved Mickey, got a kick out of seeing the characters, loved watching the lights and colors. It was a really fun age to take him. And, at 18 months, your child will be free. I suggest going to buffets, as you can choose a variety of things for your baby to eat, but they won't charge you. Makes it fun for her to try new things.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

I took my DD when she was 6 months old. (She's 2 now, and we're headed back down in March!) Biggest piece of advice with little ones, is to have a plan, but don't concrete it. Don't get upset if you miss the 3:00 parade because you had to go back to the room. Remember to keep to their schedules - if your DD takes a nap around 1 every day - try to be back to the room for your afternoon naps/relaxation/swim time. Then go back after for the evening. Also bring snacks - those add up after awhile. And remember - Have fun!

Rose

"Imagination is the highest kite one can fly" - Lauren Bacall

Post Thanks / Like

I first took my daughter when she was 18months and we had a great time

I really payed attention to her and what she needed and avoided melt downs and overtired little ones on that trip. She was an early riser so we'd go in early, do what we could and then come back for some down time. On the days that she was up later, we slept in and took the next day slower. Set reasonable expectations for your trip with a list of must do's and then be happy if you get more than that done.
    I definitely encourage the watching of dvd's and videos before you go with such a small child so that they feel a little familiar with things.
    My DD would not go near the characters for the first few days. For some reason she took to Goliath and we couldn't get her away from characters after that so don't be too discouraged if they avoid the first few.

I was just looking at my pictures from that trip the other day and remembering what a great trip we had! Good luck and have fun!
    Heidi (DS16, DD14 and the reluctant DH)
    June 02 off site
    Jan 07 VWL
    Sep 07 off site
    Jan 08 POFQ
    Oct 08 CSR
    Nov 09 Poly
    Nov 10 Off site
    Nov 11 Beach Club
    Nov 12 SSR
    Feb 14 OKW
    Feb 16 SSR
    Dec 17 Yacht Club
    Feb 19 SSR
    Feb 20 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

I took both my kids (now 4 and 7) when they were 13 months-ish. We loved it. I was surprised how many rides they could go on!

Post Thanks / Like

We took DS for the first time when he was 18 months and he had a great time. He loved seeing the parades, was awestruck when he saw the characters up close. You will probably spend most of your time at the MK.

Breaks back at the resort and try to keep to a normal schedule. DS was just so excited, he just wanted to keep going. It was hard for us to keep him on a schedule but getting him out of the parks for a break really helped.

Be prepared to have them find 1 ride that they want to do over and over again. His was Small World, we must have ridden it a million times. On the up side whenever he would start to meltdown a quick ride would perk him right up.

Be prepared for everything to take longer than you expect. We would leave the resort and DS would spend time looking for the bunnies. See the world through their eyes. It's really a wonderful experience.
    74 Off Site
    98 Contemporary & DCL inaugural cruise
    99 Dixie Landings
    00 Dixie Landings
    01 POR & DCL
    02 AKL & DCL
    03 VB
    04 DL GC
    05 ASSp, VWL, GF
    06 POFQ, CSR, OKW
    07 ASMo & VWL
    08 Pop VWL
    09 BW, POR, VWL, CSR
    10 WL
    12 VWL, AKL Club
    13 VWL, WL Club

Post Thanks / Like

We took our son around 18 months. It was "fun" but it was more fun for us than it was for him. He doesn't remember it.

So, it's alright to take the child but remember this will be more for you than it will be for the child.

Post Thanks / Like

I've taken a baby and it was great! He loved it and had a blast while we were there. We have great memories to share with him from that trip, even though he has none of his own.

Go, have fun.
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Post Thanks / Like

I took my son the first time when he was 10 months old. The only "challenge" we had was with the fireworks, too loud. Other than that, a lot of fun. I brought cherios with us in zip lock baggies for snacks. Definitely a reclining stroller as he would fall asleep when he was tired. It was alot of fun seeing everything through his eyes.
    "Are you an Tigger or an Eeyore?" - Randy Pausch

Been to WDW more times than I can count since 1972. Stayed at BLT, AKV, WLV, SSR, POP, CBR, CR, FW Cabins, all the All Stars and also off site. Been to DL 3 times, 4 cruises on the Magic and went on the Dream Inaugural Cruise.

DVC - 7/2008

Post Thanks / Like

Default how young is too young ?

It looks my heavily delayed trip for next year is getting delayed into 2013. My wife and I will be having our first baby at the end of July/beginning of August (due date is july27 but i am told first birthes are often late). I am super excited to take the baby to its first trip to Disney and we usually go every year. 2012s trip had gotten bumped from late october to Jersey week due to other commitments and people have now convinced me that taking a 3 month old might not be the best idea. So we are looking to push the trip into 2013, I was thinking around May, that would put the baby at around 9-10 monthes .
    His\her Grampy is really looking forward to bringing him\her to the Magic Kingdom to ride on the Dumbos. am i correct in holding off the 6 monthes or should i hold off until the fall of 2013?
    The trip will include the baby, my wife, myself, my best friend, my dad and my wife's parents so i think we have a good adult to baby ratio.
    Thanks for your help guys and any advise you can give about going with a little one is more than welcome.
    -Chris R.

"We now face the danger, which in the past has been the most destructive to the humans: Success, plenty, comfort and ever-increasing leisure. No dynamic people has ever survived these dangers." --John Steinbeck

Post Thanks / Like

We took our youngest to WDW at 9 months old and it was very easy. Two of my nieces also took their first trips around 9 months and both of my SIL's said they had no issues with a 9 month old. It really will depend on your baby. I'd suggest first getting used to having a baby, since this will be your first. Within a few months you should be able to tell if you think a trip to WDW will be doable for your family. I waited till 9 months, but I'd probably take a baby as young as 6 months, but not any younger than that. Good luck and congrats on having your first child on the way! What an exciting time in your life!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

If you were already postponing why not wait until the Babies First Birthday...I think that would be and AWSOME memory
    Colleen McD
    The Disney Dream Begins August 2012

Post Thanks / Like

Default how young is too young?

The biggest concern would be weather when taking a young baby. You do not want to expose a baby when it is very hot and humid.

We took our 3 month old along with DS & DD and had no problems a few years ago.

We were just at WDW in November with our 5month old niece and there were no problems either.

I say go for it, especially since you will have so much help.

Post Thanks / Like

While I agree with ColleenMcD that a first birthday is awesome, one word of caution (that leans me towards encouraging at the 9 month mark), walking.

Once a little one starts walking, the amount of time that they are happy in a stroller greatly diminishes. you are much better off to go before you hit that point (take it from someone that has recently re-visited that stage in life after a decade or more hiatus).
    *1972-Contemporary
    *1982-Tree House Village
    *1987-Offsite
    *1997-AS Music
    *2000-CS
    *2004-Offsite
    *2005-Disneyland
    *2006-WL
    *2007-AS Sports
    *2008-AKV/WLV/BCV and 4-day Disney Wonder
    *2009-POP/AKV
    *2009-OKW for Christmas
    *2010-BLT
    *2011-Spring Break: Offsite-Sheraton Vistana
    *2011-OKW/BWV

Post Thanks / Like

You'll be a new parent - first timer. Don't make it hard on yourself! You should enjoy your new status and your 3-month old in the comfort of your home and not in planes, taxis, theme parks, restaurants, and generally unfamiliar surroundings. Then, when you're a pro and the baby is 9-12 months old, maybe you can plan a Disney adventure. THERE'S PLENTY OF TIME.

We have been going for 20+ years, and have 3 children. We generally waited a year after each was born to venture out on a big Disney trip. I'm glad we did.

Post Thanks / Like

We took our son for the first time when he was 9 months old. We had a fabulous time. The biggest challenge was the stroller on and off the busses but, other than that, no worries. I do agree that taking a child before they can walk can be easier. The trip when he was 9 months was easier than the trip when he was 3. Those little feet sure can move fast.
    "Are you an Tigger or an Eeyore?" - Randy Pausch

Been to WDW more times than I can count since 1972. Stayed at BLT, AKV, WLV, SSR, POP, CBR, CR, FW Cabins, all the All Stars and also off site. Been to DL 3 times, 4 cruises on the Magic and went on the Dream Inaugural Cruise.

DVC - 7/2008

Post Thanks / Like

True confession time, I was a I'll never take my child to Disney as a baby person. Then I had kids.

We took my son at 7 months and my daugther at 6 months. We really had no problems. The main thing is to take it slow and take hints from your child. Oh and learn where all the Baby Centers are. They are great for parents with young children.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

We were just there in November with my then-10 month-old and he was great. My 4 year-old gave us much more trouble. They get a lot more difficult when they're mobile and get a will of their own.

A 9 month-old is so easy to care for, just stick as closely to their feeding and napping schedule as you can. My guy loved being carried in his Baby Bjorn so he could see everyone and everything.

I'd say to young is under 3 months. Their immune system is too weak and they're much more physically demanding because they need to be fed and changed so often. Once they hit 3 months, they're probably sleeping through the night and they've started falling into a routine.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

We took our second born when he was five months old and it was wonderful. He was happy as a clam to sit in the stroller all day and look at everything. Plus, he was sleeping though the night at that point so that wasn't an issue.

The best thing we did was staying at BLT in a one bedroom. We could put the kids to sleep in the living room and we could still be awake and not disturb them. Plus, my youngest had awful acid reflux so having the washer and dryer in the room was great! It saved us from having to bring tons of outfits or me spending nights at the laundry facilities. We also loved having the dishwasher for his bottles and his older brother's sippy cups. Another plus is BLT's location. You just can't beat being able to walk to MK in the mornings and escape on the monorail (without emptying/folding down the stroller!) when everyone is getting cranky near nap time.

He was 15 months the next trip and that was more of a hassle. As others have posted he was walking and didn't want to spend so much time in the stroller but he wasn't old enough to hold hands and such so it was a sprint to keep up with him. On a positive note, he was delighted with the characters and enjoyed his surroundings a lot more.

This last trip he was 29 months and that was much easier than the 15 month trip, but now he's freaked out by characters but able to participate in so much more and was asking to go on certain rides (teacups were a favorite).

I don't think there is a "too young." If the money situation is good and everything else is in order, why not?

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: