Quantcast Theme Park Trivia

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Theme Park Trivia

I remember many years ago one of the parks had an area with live Flamingos. For some reason, I think it was Epcot. Anyone remember?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

There are a few places in AK where there are live flamingos...On one of the walking trails around the Tree of Life and a place on the Kilimanjaro Safari ride where there is a 'pond' full of them....
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, it was Epcot, in a small pond between Odyssey and the main walkway to Mexico.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Yes that's right...thanks. Anyone else have a memory of something they remember but is no longer there!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

All the topiaries they used to have throughout the resort. They were such a huge part of what I remember of Walt Disney World when I was young that it makes me sad that they've done away with them.

The only one I know of that's routinely still present (outside of like F&G Festival) is the Dumbo one outside of MK.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone else have a memory of something they remember but is no longer there!
    Discovery Island, and the two side-wheel paddleboats that took you there.

River Country - which, technically, is still there.

The upstairs ImageWorks at the Imagination Pavilion at EPCOT - still there as well.

Ft. Wilderness Railroad. You can still follow the trails of what's left throughout Ft. Wilderness, and maybe even find a railroad spike or two *wink, wink*

Riding a tram from TTC *to the Magic Kingdom*. Yep, the trams used to also take guests from TTC through the "water tunnel" (World Drive toward the Contemporary), to the front of Magic Kingdom before the ferry boats were up and running. Drop-off at MK was where the current bus stops are now located. This didn't last very long - the trams hardly made it up out of the "tunnel because of the grade. Part of the reason we now have ferry boats

When Odyssey was actually open for guests.

When Innoventions was CommuniCore East and West - with SMRT-1, Backstage Magic, the Astuter Computer Revue, and all the other "cool stuff" (you could even design and ride your own roller coaster ).

Speaking of "Revue": the Mikcey Mouse Revue at Magic Kingdom - along with 20K, Mr. Toad, the Skyway, when Diamond Horsehoe was *really* a "revue", the summer and Christmas Country Bear shows, Davy Crockett canoes, Mike Fink Keelboats, If You Had Wings, Mission to Mars, TimeKeeper, Alien Encounter, before there was ever a PoTc in the park - or Splash and Thunder, the old Frontierland train station, the old Frontierland cowboy/stunt show on the roofs of the buildings, before there was ever a Space Mountain or PeopleMover, when there was no Morocco or Norway at EPCOT, Horizons, the original Journey into Imagination...I could go on and on and on and on....

Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

The peafowl at Fort Wilderness.

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

I remember a gift shop in MGM with Roger Rabbit footprints on the floor. The shop is still there (can't remember the name) but the footprints are gone. I have pictures of me when I was about 4 or 5 standing on those footprints, sitting in a steamroller (I think that was supposed to be from Roger Rabbit too) and standing with the Toon Patrol car with one of the Weasels - all in that one gift shop I believe. I was excited because when I was there this past December I noticed they moved the Toon Patrol car to the Backlot Express restaurant. I took a picture of it because I knew I remembered posing with it 20 years ago
    If we can dream it, then we can do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    All the topiaries they used to have throughout the resort. They were such a huge part of what I remember of Walt Disney World when I was young that it makes me sad that they've done away with them.
    Ian, didn't there used to be a bunch of different characters along the walk from the Contemporary to the MK? When I walked that for the first time since I was a kid, I was looking for them but only saw regular hedges in desperate need of trimming. Quite depressing really.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Main Street Jim View Post
    Riding a tram from TTC *to the Magic Kingdom*.
    How about when you used to be able to ride trams from the Boardwalk to Epcot? That was a nice perk that was done away with at some point. Now they just expect you to hoof it from your fabulously expensive hotel room to the park. As if we needed more walking??

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    Ian, didn't there used to be a bunch of different characters along the walk from the Contemporary to the MK? When I walked that for the first time since I was a kid, I was looking for them but only saw regular hedges in desperate need of trimming. Quite depressing really.
    Yep. That whole area had tons of topiary characters as did the TTC area. In fact, if memory serves, there used to be a giant topiary of Pete's Dragon sitting in the main plaza area of the TTC.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Main Street Jim View Post
    Ft. Wilderness Railroad. You can still follow the trails of what's left throughout Ft. Wilderness, and maybe even find a railroad spike or two *wink, wink*
    I drive between Tampa and Jacksonville very regularly and rarely can I get by I-4 exit 68 without stopping for my Disney fix. Trouble is, I've grown pretty bored of DTD. Thanks for giving me a great new option Main Street Jim!!

Nikki
    Carolyn & Nikki - Two sisters whose first visit was the day before the Magic began...and have been hooked ever since!

Post Thanks / Like

Nikki,
    if you need tips on where to look for FWRR stuff, PM me or e-mail me. I can point ya in the right direction. I own a FWRR spike and tie plate
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Post Thanks / Like

I distinctly remember standing in one of the Communicores (now Innoventions) and there was a gift shop area -- one of my sisters was looking at sweatshirts for sale -- while I stumbled across this little computer that you could type in anything and it would convert it to speech.
    In 1985, that was seriously cool! A computer that could do text-to-speech was unheard of! So of course, my sister and I had to type in every rude word we could think of...
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

Post Thanks / Like

when we first started going to the MVMCP there was a lot more going on. I can remember games and prizes. My youngest won a cute small Teddy bear (about the size of a Beanie Baby) that she loved and still has over 10 years later!
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

I miss the skyway!! And wasn't there a swan ride just before you get into Tomorrowland? and I do miss those topiaries too!
    SuzieBell

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Numerous trips as a child
    1981 - Grad Nite
    1990 - 1 special day with Mom & Dad
    1991 - Off Site - Honeymoon
    2005 - Pop Century (DS 1st trip)
    2008 - Pop Century

2011 - CBR - Surprise B'day for DS
    2014 - POR - Another Surprise B'day for DS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post
    Yep, it was Epcot, in a small pond between Odyssey and the main walkway to Mexico.
    Aren't there still flamingos there? I swear I remember seeing them last summer.
    ºoºKathyºoº TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post
    I remember the flamingo's here. I also miss the coi (sp?) pond they had here. Now it is just a dirty pond where people constantly throw trash over the bridge. I don't know what is wrong with people.
    dm2K
    1993 - BC/Cruise; 1996 - BC; 1998 - BC; 2000 - YC; 2002 - FQ; 2004 - Campground/BC; 2005 - POR; 2007 - BWI; 2008 - AKL; Christmas 2010 - BC; 2011 - All Star Sports; 2012 - AKL & WL; 2013 - DL and CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuzieBell View Post
    I miss the skyway!! And wasn't there a swan ride just before you get into Tomorrowland? and I do miss those topiaries too!
    The Swan Boats originally departed from the Plaza Landing, down in front of the Plaza restaurant, just off of Main Street. Then the dock moved to the Rose Garden, just off of the Fantasyland bridge (between Cosmic Ray's and the Hub).

Aren't there still flamingos there? I swear I remember seeing them last summer.
    Nope, the flamingos have been gone for quite some time (at least four or five years that I know of).

Post Thanks / Like

I must be thinking of the ones at AK?
    ºoºKathyºoº TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

oldies but goodies...gone but not forgotten!
    River Country
    Discovery Island
    20,000 leagues
    MSEP-glad it' back
    "Top of the World"

Also, I remember and have a photo of the "Armadillo",the rover from the ARMEGEDDON movie when it was on display in front of the Chinese Theater in DHS. (1998 I believe).

FYI...I remember and have photos of the flamingos in the odessy area of Epcot
    1974 - Off Property
    1975 - Poly
    1980 - Golf Resort (Honeymoon)
    1881 - Golf Resort
    1982 - Poly
    1983 - Contemporary
    1989 - CBR (10th anniversay)
    1998 - CBR (DD 1st trip )
    2001 - CBR
    2003 - WL
    2004 - WL (25th anniversary)
    2005 - WL